As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mosquito water treatments

JebusUDJebusUD Adventure!Candy IslandRegistered User regular
edited July 2015 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm having my wedding outdoors this fall, at the lady's parent's house. Her mother leaves a lot of water sitting around to put in the gardens and the like. Now I know sitting water is the main cause of mosquito infestations. I'm trying my hardest to get her to dump out most of the sitting water and covering what isn't getting dumped, but I'm not certain that is going to happen. She also has some ponds that definitely will have water.

So what is a good treatment for sitting water to get rid of mosquitoes. Preferably one that won't kill us and the environment?

Your help appreciated.

edit: auto correct made me look like I don't know you're from your.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
but they're listening to every word I say
JebusUD on

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    ...when is the wedding, and what part of the country? There's not a whole lot of reason to go dumping water if this is going to be after the first cool evening that would kill the dudes off anyway.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Iruka wrote: »
    ...when is the wedding, and what part of the country? There's not a whole lot of reason to go dumping water if this is going to be after the first cool evening that would kill the dudes off anyway.

September 19th in Minnesota. So before a mosquito die off.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Mosquito Dunks or bits are what your looking for. They're little floating puck things that kill off the larva, and they don't cause any harm to plants,people,fish,or pets.

You should be able to get them at any hardware store,walmart,etc.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    If you are in Florida or the south most cities have people than can come out and do a 20 minute spray that will kill off and repel mosquitos for a month or two. Some counties in my area actually do spraying via trucks that drive around just blasting a water-based moustiqo repellent to solve the issue city wide.

If "Fall" means a state with weather that drops below 40 at night your problem will likely have solved itself anyhow.

Edit: You still will want to check if the city and county you are in are doing preventative spraying.

Enc on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    If you are in Florida or the south most cities have people than can come out and do a 20 minute spray that will kill off and repel mosquitos for a month or two. Some counties in my area actually do spraying via trucks that drive around just blasting a water-based moustiqo repellent to solve the issue city wide.

If "Fall" means a state with weather that drops below 40 at night your problem will likely have solved itself anyhow.

Edit: You still will want to check if the city and county you are in are doing preventative spraying.

We can get the spray done in our area.
    Foomy wrote: »
    Mosquito Dunks or bits are what your looking for. They're little floating puck things that kill off the larva, and they don't cause any harm to plants,people,fish,or pets.

This is the specific brand you would recommend?

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Enc wrote: »

We can get the spray done in our area.
    Foomy wrote: »

This is the specific brand you would recommend?

any of the brands that contain Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis (BTI) work just the same, just the Mosquito Dunk ones are the most commonly found.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms