As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

just bought a house wtf lol (Proper Tea thread)

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    It was built in 1977 and owned by an old couple with loungeroom cabinetry full of decanters and shotglasses, and pictures of Soviet-era dignitaries and shit. The kitchen countertop is green, and so it the toilet.

http://reiwa.com.au/38-juniper-way-forrestfield-3753122/

A Mike Brady original

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Actually, despite the antiquated furnishings, that actually looks like a nice house (and I love the veranda).

Sayyyyy.... are any of the universities in Perth hiring librarians or web designers???

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    As a memento of that time period, the house is really quite lovely.

I also like the size of the verandah.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Actually, despite the antiquated furnishings, that actually looks like a nice house (and I love the veranda).

Sayyyyy.... are any of the universities in Perth hiring librarians or web designers???

My friend who is a web designer at a university is taking a years sabatactical, so yes.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Carpet in the kitchen I'm absolutely for getting rid of.

But I am not on board with the trend of having hardwood in the bedrooms. Gimme carpet in there.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Speaking of old homes, Mum and her partner bought a house from 1915 from an old italian couple. The ripped up three layers of linoleum with assorted newspaper between them to reveal lovely old jarrah (WestAus native hard wood) floorboards that judging from the length and grain were from around 100yr old trees when they were milled, then had a really pedantic guy come in and sand them back and finish them to a superb quality. It took him three visits before the air was dust free enough for him to do it, but the results are just amazing. It looks lovely and it's hard as nails, there's no way that any average furniture will ever scratch it.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    We're going to have a guy come in to refinish our floors at some point but we need to figure out if we're putting carpet in any of the bedrooms yet.

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »

I also like the size of the verandah.

:winky:

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Psykoma wrote: »

But I am not on board with the trend of having hardwood in the bedrooms. Gimme carpet in there.

Hardwood everywhere. Carpet makes me sick.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    It was built in 1977 and owned by an old couple with loungeroom cabinetry full of decanters and shotglasses, and pictures of Soviet-era dignitaries and shit. The kitchen countertop is green, and so it the toilet.

http://reiwa.com.au/38-juniper-way-forrestfield-3753122/

I would kill for that bar/sideboard thing in the living room.

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    I once almost bought a house with carpet in the bathroom and saloon doors between the master bath and bed.

But that kitchen carpet has gotta go

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    spono wrote: »
    I once almost bought a house with carpet in the bathroom and saloon doors between the master bath and bed.

But that kitchen carpet has gotta go

That sounds exactly like a house we looked at early on. This must be weirdly more common than I thought!

• Options
    But I am not on board with the trend of having hardwood in the bedrooms.

You sound like Mrs Moon

Heyoooo

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    One of the main draws for the place we're buying is wood and tile everywhere minus the bedrooms. Which I'll only tolerate because it'll save us buying rugs to avoid a cold floor in winter.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

Is this an expression of disgust or one of actual health concerns?

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    I finally got some shelving for my shed. Now my crap is slightly less disorganised!

• Options
    I need more shelves for my garage.

In other news, my kitchen is still not finished! (it has been fully functional since about late February though)

I did have a meeting with the builders today and they finally agreed to finish all the details we want complete. People are far more willing to make you happy when you haven't made the final payment of your invoice.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    It's time for a picture of the dunny:

qsSu0bN.jpg?1

I wasn't exaggerating about the green!

• Options
    Oh shit it's May.

I'm buying a house this month!

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »

Is this an expression of disgust or one of actual health concerns?

hah! an actual health issue. Aesthetically I have little objection to carpet, except it reflexively triggers an "oh shit I'm not gonna be able to breeaaath" response as soon as I see it.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I like that green

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Yeah, me too. It's actually one of the LAST things on the list to change, but seeing as that is a single-flush cistern we still want to upgrade to a water-saver dual-flush fairly soon.

• Options
    Just had a massive downpour with hail, I think our stuff's ok but the neighbor's tree lost a pretty big branch and thankfully it caught on one of our trees and kept from hitting our house or landing on the fence.

Anybody have any tips on how to politely ask a 93 year old woman to get her tree out of my yard?

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Just had a massive downpour with hail, I think our stuff's ok but the neighbor's tree lost a pretty big branch and thankfully it caught on one of our trees and kept from hitting our house or landing on the fence.

Anybody have any tips on how to politely ask a 93 year old woman to get her tree out of my yard?

Hey, me too

• Options
    It's almost like we live right near each other!

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    We've had three random hail storms in April it was weird. Also Peen be a Big Man and go cut the tree up for her and haul it off

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Yeah we checked it out and that's actually totally we're going to do. It's not that big a branch or therefore a deal.

• Options
    I actually enjoy playing with chainsaws and such so getting to operate those is a treat. And you get brownie points for helping folks out. Sometimes you get treats for that.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Chainsaws are fun for the whole family.

uovapsa3kl00.jpg

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I actually enjoy playing with chainsaws and such so getting to operate those is a treat. And you get brownie points for helping folks out. Sometimes you get treats for that.

I'm still trying to figure out how to justify one for myself, but I really can't since my dad has 2 solid saws, including a sweet husqy I just bought him that he's giving to me in a year or two. Can't waiiiittttt.
    His other saw somewhat scares me though, big ol' Jonsered with a chisel chain.

• Options
    schuss wrote: »

I'm still trying to figure out how to justify one for myself, but I really can't since my dad has 2 solid saws, including a sweet husqy I just bought him that he's giving to me in a year or two. Can't waiiiittttt.
    His other saw somewhat scares me though, big ol' Jonsered with a chisel chain.

The saw I've got is a hand me down from my dad, and it's decent enough, but it slips the damn chain too much and then I spend the next thirty minutes correcting it because using it once every year makes me forget things.

Then it does it a few more times while using it and I've got it fixed no problem. I would love to get a new saw but no real reason currently.

• Options
    My Dad has a chainsaw that's currently probably with his brother. Now I'm wishing I had a tree to be rid of so I had an excuse to retrieve it.

I do have a palm tree that I don't like... but felling that will either destroy the fence or my shed, so.. no. Someone else needs to talk the liability on that one.

• Options
    Can't get somebody pulling a rope tied to the top when you cut it to get it to fall the right direction?

Done that more often than not

• Options
    Can't get somebody pulling a rope tied to the top when you cut it to get it to fall the right direction?

It's real tight, like it's a 20 ft tree that's 1 ft from the fence and 3 ft from the shed, and due to the shape of the block and the rest of the structures around it, there's nowhere to let it fall naturally. It would need someone to lop it down piece by piece, and the only place to land the pieces would be on all the garlic that I just planted. So it's staying there for the next while at least.

• Options
    pimento wrote: »

It's real tight, like it's a 20 ft tree that's 1 ft from the fence and 3 ft from the shed, and due to the shape of the block and the rest of the structures around it, there's nowhere to let it fall naturally. It would need someone to lop it down piece by piece, and the only place to land the pieces would be on all the garlic that I just planted. So it's staying there for the next while at least.

Have you considered a controlled burn? Fire flaming arrows at the top of the tree, slowly moving downwards to ensure that it burns from the top down. Problem solved.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Have you considered a controlled burn? Fire flaming arrows at the top of the tree, slowly moving downwards to ensure that it burns from the top down. Problem solved.

It is the optimal solution

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular

The spiders living at the top of the tree says he's too much of a wuss to try that approach.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Daimar wrote: »

The spiders living at the top of the tree says he's too much of a wuss to try that approach.

You sir, are a master troll.

And are also underestimating my spider perturbing skills.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    You could also kill the tree and then remove the dead trunk a few months later.

Girdle the tree with a 1/2 holes drilled every 6 inches about 6 inches above the ground. You only need to get through the bark and into the trunk a few inches.

Pour glyphosphate herbicide down each hole, trying to get an ounce or so in each hole.

You may need to repeat it once or twice.

Once the tree is dead, you can cut it down and burn it or chip it.

• Options
    The closing date has been moved back five days because the seller still hasn't sent required HOA docs that have a minimum review time.

This discussion has been closed.