As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

just bought a house wtf lol (Proper Tea thread)

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I'm going to need to get a chainsaw soon. Not just because it's a pain in the arse to travel out to my parents house to borrow theirs, but also because it's only a little MS170 and thus not really mean enough for commercial use. Now, I'd LIKE an MS880 Magnum, but I don't have $3000 and I'm not planning on felling any 200 year old redwoods anyway, so it would be gratuitous overkill. So far I have my eye on an MS251 which should do the trick nicely.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I'm going to need to get a chainsaw soon. Not just because it's a pain in the arse to travel out to my parents house to borrow theirs, but also because it's only a little MS170 and thus not really mean enough for commercial use. Now, I'd LIKE an MS880 Magnum, but I don't have $3000 and I'm not planning on felling any 200 year old redwoods anyway, so it would be gratuitous overkill. So far I have my eye on an MS251 which should do the trick nicely.

I'll say this - use the right saw for the problem, as the big saws get unwieldy quite fast (on purpose, as stability trumps maneuverability when you're chopping a multi-foot trunk), but smaller ones are a joy. The new saw I bought my dad was a Husqvarna 450, and it's a dream to use and carry (so much lighter!)

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    A sales guy spent 2 hours trying to sell us a water softener. When he was finally done adding in the "great extras" and bonuses, it came out to nearly 10k. He then tried to persuade us that we would really be SAVING money! Yeah, how about no. I know that strategy works on some people but come on, dude.

Bought a Pur faucet filter instead.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah I know, that's why I'm looking at the 251. Great power to weight ratio, and has a long enough bar to cover 99% of the work I'd ever want to do with it. I've heard Husqies are really great saws, but I'll buy a chainsaw that's NOT a Stihl after I die.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Get a Husqie and turn it into a racing saw.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    ?

s9Nhe9P.jpg

• Options
    Oh yeah I know, that's why I'm looking at the 251. Great power to weight ratio, and has a long enough bar to cover 99% of the work I'd ever want to do with it. I've heard Husqies are really great saws, but I'll buy a chainsaw that's NOT a Stihl after I die.

Yeah, his local dealer primarily deals in Husqies, not Stihl's, thus the choice. They've known each other for 30 or so years, and my Dad has many needs for repair as he constantly is wrecking chains and pushing the saws.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Strikor wrote: »
    A sales guy spent 2 hours trying to sell us a water softener. When he was finally done adding in the "great extras" and bonuses, it came out to nearly 10k. He then tried to persuade us that we would really be SAVING money! Yeah, how about no. I know that strategy works on some people but come on, dude.

Bought a Pur faucet filter instead.

Well, around here, a water softener is a great addition.

Because we rent, and we don't have one, it was no skin off our ass when the calcium deposit killed the water heater

But the plumbers, they got it going again, even if they fucked with it for hours.

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Our realtor is having to resort to switching up phones to get past the selling realtor screening her calls. This is unreal.

• Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Our realtor is having to resort to switching up phones to get past the selling realtor screening her calls. This is unreal.

What a weird situation. Your whole trek is making me appreciate out realtor so much.

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    We're definitely full of appreciation for our current realtor. She's covered and documented every single action on our end.

• Options
    schuss wrote: »

Yeah, his local dealer primarily deals in Husqies, not Stihl's, thus the choice. They've known each other for 30 or so years, and my Dad has many needs for repair as he constantly is wrecking chains and pushing the saws.

I have no doubts about the hardiness of those Swiss saws, after all their dirtbikes are fantastic. However, I learned to saw with my Dad's original early 70's Stihl (which he still has but no longer runs because parts are not made for them anymore) which has done thousands of hours of work and still started first pull every time after the spring/summer break ever since I was a kid. His newer smaller saw can take a hard thrashing, too. It's only a tiny little babby saw but it just keeps chugging away all day whether I'm cutting up old dry hardwoods or fresher-fallen wet softwoods.

As for your Dad being punishing on his chains, has he tried switching to a chipper chain, they're less aggressive than a semi-chisel but are much hardier and keep their edge longer?

• Options
    schuss wrote: »

I have no doubts about the hardiness of those Swiss saws, after all their dirtbikes are fantastic. However, I learned to saw with my Dad's original early 70's Stihl (which he still has but no longer runs because parts are not made for them anymore) which has done thousands of hours of work and still started first pull every time after the spring/summer break ever since I was a kid. His newer smaller saw can take a hard thrashing, too. It's only a tiny little babby saw but it just keeps chugging away all day whether I'm cutting up old dry hardwoods or fresher-fallen wet softwoods.

As for your Dad being punishing on his chains, has he tried switching to a chipper chain, they're less aggressive than a semi-chisel but are much hardier and keep their edge longer?

He messes up chains because he's 100% willing to put the saw in the dirt if it gets him the cut he wants. He buys 2 chains for every saw so he can always switch it out and send the other one for sharpening/repair (hates doing that himself). In his eyes, sharpening is cheap, but having to deal with a tall stump sucks.

• Options
    Chippers are specifically for dealing with logs on the ground, etc. Or there's always tungsten carbide tipped chains...

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Trained termites.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016

Having had a similar experience of the selling realtor not fucking getting back to us on anything, I really appreciate the gumption of your realtor. Our realtor was a sweet lady, but she just would not stand up for us with the other realtor, she just kept making excuses for them never speaking to us or keeping any contracted deadlines.

Also... what the fuck is with sellers not wanting to talk to contracted buyers? Is that the new thing in realty now, and if so what's the point?

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Remembering back our realtor had to bully the builder a bunch to keep deadlines. Our loan officer who was part of the same branch as the builder had to as well.

I thought it was more for show but damn I guess it was a necessity.

Phasen on
    psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    So it looks like we're going under contract on a house being built. Stress and excitement get to fight over my brain for the next few weeks!

Probably a dumb question, but is it relatively inexpensive to have someone come in and drop some outlets in the basement?

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    So it looks like we're going under contract on a house being built. Stress and excitement get to fight over my brain for the next few weeks!

Probably a dumb question, but is it relatively inexpensive to have someone come in and drop some outlets in the basement?

depends on if the walls are already finished and whether there is a spare breaker in your panel!

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    You can also put them in with external cable and hide it with cable conduit, we just did that and it looks fine. Basement's relatively easy because the breaker's already down there so you don't have to go through any floors.

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    ?

s9Nhe9P.jpg

Oh look. A Buzzard.

• Options
    The walls won't be finished, I was told there will be a spare breaker in the panel. The goal is to finish the walls sometime in the first year, but I'd at least like power down there for tools, projects, treadmill, etc. in the meantime.

• Options
    The walls won't be finished, I was told there will be a spare breaker in the panel. The goal is to finish the walls sometime in the first year, but I'd at least like power down there for tools, projects, treadmill, etc. in the meantime.

Have them do it now as part of the build. Way easier.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Trained termites.

You rang?

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    I don't know how I took out a chunk of my knuckle so bad pull starting my lawnmower, but here we are.

Hit the ring that holds the cord handle. It's not even sharp!

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Finally got Mrs Moon's Sky Chair hung up. Took the help of our construction ex-brother in law, I guess he technically is, and some help from Papa Moon, but she's chillin' like a villain in a comfy chair

13177138_10209400317269875_7959198342378702431_n.jpg?oh=129aa7f84ba8da0c25730ebcd71b29cd&oe=57A1E0D9
    13178703_10209400317429879_3798433241315981149_n.jpg?oh=f842bc9a837d34e9ef71516e46dd9165&oe=57B0C7A5

Please, no sex swing jokes.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    That is a very classy looking chair thing!

Well done!

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Hey that looks like a really cool......
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Please, no sex swing jokes.

oh.

Okay then.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Jen and I went to see a house tonight.

It's listed as 4 bedrooms the same size as our current place, but one of those is a sleepout off the garage not connected to the rest of the house which is not really suitable for anything except a workshop, storage room, or hotbox, so discounting that it's a smaller place.

It has been well maintained, but needs a lot of work to bring it to modern design and standards; heating, insulation, full gutting and renovation.

It's in a worse location, with poorer access.

The only real advantage it has is a single garage, but even that's kinda whatever.

The real reason we went is because it is a house the same size as ours, with supposedly the same ratable value... that is more or less in every way actually worse than our house.

And they're expecting to get around $470k for that place. Which is what we thought our place is worth... but if they actually get that, our place is probably worth half a mill. Comfortably.

Holy shit.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Three days from closing. Required repairs apparently aren't complete despite the seller having nearly two months to handle them. We've been informed of this today despite our realtor asking for updates for the last couple weeks. Despite the sales contract already being extended.

Her latest email to the selling realtor is a politely scathing request to know if they understand of the basic terms of the contract.

I have no idea what this guy's issue is.

• Options
    say, uh, anyone know anything about wiring electric?

I know how to physically do it, but not what order things need to go in.

I have (currently) 4 lights (haha THERE ARE. FOUR. LIGHTS!)

(1) light is on a three way switch
    (3) lights are on individual pull cords

all 4 are on the same circuit

I need

(2) lights on the existing three way switch
    (1) pull cord light converted to a single switch
    (1) pull cord light to remain as-is

I know basically how to turn off the circuit at the panel and I know how to physically wire a switch and the can lights

just not which wires need to go where =/

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    @Usagi usually has good warnings about DIY electrical work.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    The first and the second job require you pulling some wire. You'll need to extend the three way wiring into the fixture and you'll have to route the wiring for the second fixture into the wall into the new switch and then run wire from the switch to the fixture.

• Options
    The first and the second job require you pulling some wire. You'll need to extend the three way wiring into the fixture and you'll have to route the wiring for the second fixture into the wall into the new switch and then run wire from the switch to the fixture.

Hire an electrician it is!

• Options
    Reinspection completed and the seller has made none of the repairs required.

Proceeding to hate to death.

• Options
    We just picked a color for our siding. This whole "building a house" thing is feeling more and more real.

• Options
    This weekend I will see how much attic I can get framed

Got a few tiny portions of demolition to take care of and some light fixtures to cap first

• Options

Whelp

Going to work
    TLMu6qH.gif

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular

Is there a "or pay x money clause in the inspection contract"

Might be easier to have them just give you money and you do it.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    JebusUD wrote: »

Is there a "or pay x money clause in the inspection contract"

Might be easier to have them just give you money and you do it.

They're obligated to make the repairs or offer money to pay for everything. We're shooting for something a bit easier on them in the hopes that they'll agree and we can close tomorrow cause we're tired of this.

This discussion has been closed.