As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A GST About Who Owns Flavortown

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Goumindong wrote: »
    While I've sampled something that claimed to be New York style (and found it too thin to my liking - like cardboard someone had spread sauce and cheese over), and would love to try Chicago style sometime, my experience with pizza in Oregon (just north of California) has been medium-thick crust, with a subset of the full variety of Cal. Thin-crust is an option here, but not one I choose.

My personal favorite/regular order is tomato sauce, cheese, pepperoni, mushroom, and (black) olive - going to be ordering one of those shortly, in fact, for the weekend - though I've also enjoyed BBQ chicken, "meat lovers" (meat, plus more meat), and even a few slices with pesto sauce instead. Do not like (bell) peppers or onions, though.

Proper NY style pizza should be floppy. If you can't fold it in half without breaking its Neapolitan or Pub. (All of which you can get in New York).
    What can't you get in NY?

A reasonably priced apartment.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

So, apparently there's a side effect - eating a Halloween Whopper gives you Slimer shits.

...not sure if that is disturbing or awesome.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Porque no los dos, Hedgie?

EDIT: My guess? Since there's really no such thing as "black food coloring," what they're really using is super, super, super dark green, which is having the predictable effect once it passes through the system.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    They should cover the surface in miniature black holes. It's probably about as healthy.

• Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Just got back from Poland, but I just wanted to rave about a few street food snacks that I really enjoyed.

First up, zapiekanki, a pizza clone, made during the cold war, before pizza was well known, the Polish basically copied western pizza based upon pirated movies, and it turned out great. Take long slice of bread (Polish bread is like gourmet bread in the USA), top it with sheep's cheese, mushrooms (typically an oyster mushroom variety), grilled onions, BBQ pork, and ketchup (really more like a tomato based BBQ sauce than what you'd normally consider ketchup), and bake it until the cheese melts.
    220px-Zapiekanka_2a.jpg

Next, grilled oszczypek with cranberry sauce, which is a medium-firm sheep's cheese, grilled, served with warm cranberry sauce. Can also be served wrapped in bacon with a grilled plum (or blackberry) too.
    th?&id=OIP.M508224098c777222c263147e7f0d1d8bo0&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0

Then we have the baked pierogi with a mushroom sauce. The most typical pierogis (similar to a big ravioli or dumpling) are boiled or fried, but I prefered the baked ones, filled with a wide variety of ingredients, with a sauce on the side, used like a dip. The pork, potato, and spinach varieties with cheese and an herb were all good, particularly with the brown mushroom sauces.
    th?&id=OIP.Mb1048efae8e8b0bbe6cb837ffa9a22d5o0&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0

Finally, who can forget the mulled wine, a red wine served hot (but not boiling) with cinnamon, honey, and orange slices. What the hell is with egg nog? Mulled wine is what we should be having instead. Plus, it's awesome enough to make a great drink whenever the temperature dips down, not just holidays. I brought back 3 bottles of it.
    th?id=OIP.M46629afb9699d023200624374e281eb1o0&w=264&h=175&c=7&rs=1&qlt=90&o=4&pid=1.1
    Note - haven't gone through my photos yet, so I had to pull food pictures off the web instead.

hsu on
    iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    Yep, all of that sounds awesome.

• Options
    One of the best ways to make mulled wine in party batches:

1. Acquire an old school large volume coffee brewer - the big canister ones beloved by churches all over.
    2. If acquired secondhand, clean to remove coffee residue.
    3. Acquire some cheap mixed red - Costco is your friend here.
    4. Fill coffeemaker with red wine.
    5. Fill the basket on the top with mulling spices.
    6. Turn on, and let it "brew".
    7. Enjoy.

If you are looking for something non-alcoholic, replace the wine with apple cider for hot mulled cider.

(Yes, I don't drink. No, I don't know how I wound up knowing so much about drinking.)

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Mulled wine had been around for millennia, and will be for millenia more. I think every European country has a minimum of two varieties available, usually more.

Most hot alcoholic beverages are good. Especially when it's really cold and miserable out.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    McDonald's all day breakfast is here...sorta.

mcdonaldseggbiscuitmcmuffinmap.jpg.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge.jpg

Do you live in the Biscuit Belt?

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »

EDIT: My guess? Since there's really no such thing as "black food coloring," what they're really using is super, super, super dark green, which is having the predictable effect once it passes through the system.

Interestingly, the Japanese version didn't have that issue - they used squid ink as dye.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    hsu wrote: »
    Just got back from Poland, but I just wanted to rave about a few street food snacks that I really enjoyed.

First up, zapiekanki, a pizza clone, made during the cold war, before pizza was well known, the Polish basically copied western pizza based upon pirated movies, and it turned out great. Take long slice of bread (Polish bread is like gourmet bread in the USA), top it with sheep's cheese, mushrooms (typically an oyster mushroom variety), grilled onions, BBQ pork, and ketchup (really more like a tomato based BBQ sauce than what you'd normally consider ketchup), and bake it until the cheese melts.
    220px-Zapiekanka_2a.jpg

I'd personally want to change up the sauce but this is a great pizza variation. Sweden could stand to learn a thing or two from this.

• Options
    NijaNija Registered User regular
    Carl's Jr./Hardee's biscuits are better than the imitation Thomas' English Muffin McDonald's uses.

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Interestingly, the Japanese version didn't have that issue - they used squid ink as dye.

Squid ink is an actual ingredient with flavor and likely not as easy to get a hold of in the states given how little squid we eat. I was so disappointed when I bought some baby squid at a super market that gets varied seafood and found out they'd already had the ink sacs removed but not the other organs I had to clean out.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular

Its actually a blue dye, its like blue dye number 6 or something. Its passes right through your body. Its caused green stool outbreaks before when someone uses a lot of it.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited October 2015

This makes me way too happy...assuming my local one lets me get hash browns all day erry-day

LostNinja on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Yeah, thing to remember is that brown is just a dark yellow-orange. Add a strong blue and...

Also, I wonder if the biscuit thing is true, or just McDonalds trying to justify not offering/promoting the biscuit version outside the South. "Well, we would, but no one up here likes them. Really. Here's a map, see?"

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    It's kind of sad to watch McDonald's fight their inevitable slide into obsolescence.

It's like watching a spouse suggest marital counseling after the marriage is already over.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    knitdan wrote: »
    It's kind of sad to watch McDonald's fight their inevitable slide into obsolescence.

It's like watching a spouse suggest marital counseling after the marriage is already over.

Uh. Well. McDonald's US market share is still the largest of any restaurant, by almost 3-fold. It's more like watching them fight their inevitable slide from supremacy to dominance.

https://fortunedotcom.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/mcg-graphic-one.jpg

hippofant on
  • Options
    Nadia Hussain, a mother of 3, wins the Great British Bake-Off.

This year's finalists were a portrait of Britain today:

3757.jpg?w=620&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10&s=edda22ad9ea79e74f85b4dc8e3d517dd

• Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Something I didn't know, until I went to Poland - Coke Light (aka Diet Coke) & Coke Zero have calories, just a few, but they still have calories. Because in the USA, their labels explicitly say zero calories, as do all of their marketing ads.

Below are representative EU ingredient labels for Coke Light & Coke Zero respectively. For a 20 oz bottle, it ends up being 2.4 calories for Diet Coke and 1.7 calories for Coke Zero.
    dietcoke_nip-jpg.png?w=296&h=300cokezero_nip-jpg.png?w=284&h=300
    Further research suggests that FDA regulations in the USA allows companies to round down in 5 calorie increments, which lets Coca Cola round down to zero.

hsu on
    iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    Coke Light >> Diet Coke.

• Options
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

More proof of the unconquerable cultural divide between north and south.

• Options
    I don't understand Pop Tarts. They taste like cardboard and lies.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Rhan9 wrote: »

Only if you don't heat them up.

• Options

There's a diner near where I work that does homemade poptarts.

They're amazing.
    They also do adult milkshakes, so that's good, too.

• Options
    Madican wrote: »

Then they taste like warm cardboard and lies.

• Options
    hippofant wrote: »

You got the kind with frosting right?

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Warm cardboard, lies, and frosting.

• Options

Tried a few kinds. Dunno what it is about them that really doesn't mesh with me.

• Options
    Food analytics firm forgets aphorism about enjoying sausage and politics, does analysis of hot dogs, learns things man was not meant to know.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »

Warm cardboard, lies, and frosting.

Yeah, cardboard sometimes does need a bit of milk.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Tried a few kinds. Dunno what it is about them that really doesn't mesh with me.

They're a convenience food, not really the epitome of flavor. Well unless the flavor is a lot of sugar. They get marketed towards people under 18 after all.

Other packaged food manufacturers have done more flavorful versions of the concept like Pilbury's Toaster Strudels but Pop Tarts are the ones with cultural cachet due to childhood nostalgia.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Lack of nostalgia'll explain it, since the first time I tried a pop-tart was at the age of 25.

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Pop-tart S'mores are basically, s'mores in the toaster.

They're really the only decent ones.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Food analytics firm forgets aphorism about enjoying sausage and politics, does analysis of hot dogs, learns things man was not meant to know.

"I’m referring to the possibility of jizz dogs. Just want to make sure everyone got that."

• Options
    Drew Magary learns about civet kona coffee.

Hilarity ensues.

(For those who don't know, civet kona coffee - the most expensive coffee in the world - is created by allowing civets (a rodent akin to ferrets) to consume the kona coffee cherries, then extracting the beans from their waste, which have been altered by the civet's internal chemistry.

In short, it's poop coffee.)

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    (ferrets aren't rodents)

• Options
    Today is National Sandwich Day. In honor of the occasion, what's your favorite sandwich? I'm personally a fan of the New York style Reuben, with delicious mounds of corned beef and sauerkraut.

Mmmmmmm.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    The Croque-Monsieur is the king of sandwiches.