As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A GST About Who Owns Flavortown

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Moridin889 wrote: »
    Speaking of sausage, an Australian friend was talking to me about sausage rolls last night and I'm wondering is this just a thing Americans don't have or get, like meat pies? He tried to describe them as almost breakfast calzone? Anyone have experience with these?

Chicken pot pie is the most common and shepard/cottage pie can be found in most British themed restaurants. But for whatever reason they’re just not as popular here.

Criminally, most restaurants dont do a proper double crust for pot pie.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    They are common in parts of america.

Also, pigs in a blanket or pepperoni rolls, etc.

Sausage rolls and meat pies are made from ground meat and have real pastry around them. They’re superb junk food and there’s nothing quite like them in the US

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

Sausage rolls and meat pies are made from ground meat and have real pastry around them. They’re superb junk food and there’s nothing quite like them in the US

Nah you just don't live in the right part of the country.

69dtd57wj5t2.jpg

I'll just go down to any of the Runzas around town.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    I don't know, that looks more like bread than pastry.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

http://www.pleasanthousepub.com/

That place has amazing meat pies. They're too good to call them junk food though.

Get up to the Upper Peninsula in Michigan and there are a plethora of options for pasties.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    There are some Haitians at my job that I'll buy homemade beef pasties from a couple times a month. They're flaky outside, dense and filling as hell on the inside with peppers and veggies. Those make a 10+ hour day quite bearable.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Sausages wrapped in bacon are delicious and the fact that we only really eat them at Christmas is some kind of crime.

Not a crime Bogart, a piece of half remembered wisdom passed down through the ages. Only one day a year. Beware. Only one day a year.

They say the civilisation of Atlantis collapsed when they realised that nothing was stopping them having bacon wrapped sausage every day. Sloth and Gluttony overtook the most advanced people this planet have ever known.

One day a year, beware.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

69dtd57wj5t2.jpg

That's not a sausage roll.

• Options
    V1m wrote: »

69dtd57wj5t2.jpg

It's a decent fast food interpretation of a meat pie I guess? Obviously not pastry but.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

69dtd57wj5t2.jpg

Super common in central TX as well. Called Kolaches - Czek in origin?

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2016/11/28/502088150/the-czech-pastry-that-took-texas-by-storm-and-keeps-gaining-strength

Edit: to be clear, while the purists in that article are technically correct, sausage & cheese is like the most common kolache available now. Typical for Americans, we just took a name and a vague idea and did our own shit with it lol.

spool32 on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I tried the Impossible Burger last night.

Because I went in knowing it wasn't a burger, I could tell, but if you'd asked me to test blind I probably wouldn't have been able to beyond "huh, this tastes a little funny."

It's expensive, but good! Felt a little...lighter than a normal burger. Definitely lower on the grease front.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

69dtd57wj5t2.jpg

No, it's basically a mince pie in a yeasty-er? shell than a normal one.

It's also got cabbage and spices and it's rull fucking good, top tier drunk food.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    * mutters Englishly

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Dim sum places often have curry puffs which are flaky pastry with savory curry filling and are amazing

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Dim sum places often have curry puffs which are flaky pastry with savory curry filling and are amazing

My measure of a dim sum spot is "Do they offer Phoenix talons (chicken feet) and squid shumai?" If yes proceed to scarf down one of everything (even century eggs), if no, find a new place.

Shumai is to a dim sum chef, as tamago is to a proper sushi master.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    That's not new york style pizza.

On the other hand, I wont begrudge them doing something silly.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I mean for Japanese pizza that looks actually edible.

Also I love reading through the quote. 1 pie is 3000kcals. And you can get bacon or salami as an additional topping.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    The Big New Yorker has been around for something like a decade. It’s not really meant to be the same as pizza from NYC so much as just imply it’s really big.

• Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

Because I went in knowing it wasn't a burger, I could tell, but if you'd asked me to test blind I probably wouldn't have been able to beyond "huh, this tastes a little funny."

It's expensive, but good! Felt a little...lighter than a normal burger. Definitely lower on the grease front.

I am full on bandwagon after having them twice. It's not perfect, but it's so fucking close that I think they're actually going to get it down. The beautiful thing is knowing that it's not "fake" meat or something pretending. It's close enough to chemically identical that it makes sense that it would taste and feel the same.

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular

https://manpies.com/

https://kellsirish.com/seattle/menu/

Although Kell's isn't really fast food I love going to Man Pies after shows up in Bellingham.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    My experience of American food is that it is perfectly fine, in restaurants, but in supermarkets there it is difficult to find stuff that isn't shite.

• Options
    Solar wrote: »
    My experience of American food is that it is perfectly fine, in restaurants, but in supermarkets there it is difficult to find stuff that isn't shite.

Like with everything

It depends on where you go.

Some supermarkets have great food, usually accompanied by a slightly higher pricetag. Some have shit. Some are perfectly fine but you're paying for the name on the front of the store.

And a lot of our restaurants all get the same food from Sysco and just arrange it on plates differently.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    The difference in quality between the Giant and Food Lion by me is crazy.

Quid on
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Publix, for instance, is where shopping is a pleasure. And you pay 20c to $2 more per item for it.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Food Lion is, uh, usually pretty dire in my experience.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    If I go to HyVee or the butcher shop, I know I'm gonna get something good. I pay a little more for it, but I haven't been let down yet.

Even the difference between the same products, like, I bought a small thing of blackberries at a neighborhood market that's fairly suspect (but cheap!) because it was the same kind as the ones I get at HyVee and the entire middle of the berries had a bloom of mold that you couldn't see just by inspection. HyVee, that doesn't happen. The small neighborhood market, it's happened twice.

HyVee doesn't sell WalMart's awful tomatoes (the somehow dry, wet, squishy, and solid all at the same time ones, you know what I'm talking about.) either.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Food Lion is fucking rough.

It used to be half decent, but I went back there after being gone from the coast for 15 years and my goodness

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    the one thing i miss about living in PA are Wegmans, that shit was magical, like some kind of food castle

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options

They're surviving solely based on their location. Literally in the center of a giant suburb with two or three apartment complexes right next to it, with a school on one side meaning parents are constantly driving past.

Their produce is mediocre at best but when it comes to sundries or junk food, they’re a literal walk in the park from my house.

• Options
    Well now I feel spoiled having a Lunds within walking distance.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    An independent Chicago pizzeria owner breaks down the economics of a pizza pie.

In conclusion: Support your good local pizzerias.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Almost 40 years old and I finally learned how to cook a chicken breast proper.

Brining and oiling, cooking at 450 for 17 minutes (or until 165) and then just let set for 10 minutes.

Mein gott that was delicious.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited July 2019

Knowing people who do it, owning a restaurant is a ROUGH line of work to be in.

Also, full of assholes. Though that's kind of small businesses in general.

shryke on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    shryke wrote: »

I dunno, ~30% margin after all costs including loans, labor, lease, etc. is a healthy business than can afford to absorb the occasional loss.

That actually shows it isn't razor thin at all.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »

I dunno, ~30% margin after all costs including loans, labor, lease, etc. is a healthy business than can afford to absorb the occasional loss.

That actually shows it isn't razor thin at all.

The real issue is that sales fluctuations can make the difference between a wildly profitable business and an unprofitable one because things like rent, loan payments, even employee costs to a degree don't change with how many pizzas you sell

It's just a bad metric without sales numbers

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    The only Flavortown question that concerns me is who owns Vegetarian Flavortown. Because India has a larger percentage of vegetarians than any other country – 38% – I suspect the answer is India

92vd5bahhwit.jpeg

wandering on
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

They're surviving solely based on their location. Literally in the center of a giant suburb with two or three apartment complexes right next to it, with a school on one side meaning parents are constantly driving past.

Their produce is mediocre at best but when it comes to sundries or junk food, they’re a literal walk in the park from my house.
    That food Lion is so bad. It's like that with everything in that shopping center. All of those places literally survive because of where they are...Although the Italian place is pretty great.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    The only Flavortown question that concerns me is who owns Vegetarian Flavortown. Because India has a larger percentage of vegetarians than any other country – 38% – I suspect the answer is India

92vd5bahhwit.jpeg

I am willing to concede this, yes.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    cncaudata wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »

I am full on bandwagon after having them twice. It's not perfect, but it's so fucking close that I think they're actually going to get it down. The beautiful thing is knowing that it's not "fake" meat or something pretending. It's close enough to chemically identical that it makes sense that it would taste and feel the same.

Yeah, I've had impossible again after that original post, and beyond once, too. The one criticism I'll give: they seem to be much more succeptible to under/over cooking in taste. But I'm limiting myself to one beef meal per week, so options are much appreciated.