As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Computer Build Thread] If you build it... we will awesome

• Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    That NewEgg "Academic Discount" has a maximum value of $20. :\

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    My 980ti is running at around 83 degrees Celsius under load. Is that normal? Too high? Need more fans? MORE FANS.

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Tube wrote: »
    My 980ti is running at around 83 degrees Celsius under load. Is that normal? Too high? Need more fans? MORE FANS.

standard thermal throttle temp. it'll get there and then start backing off on performance. you probably need better airflow/cooling.

also @Hamurabi: after all that time spent with newegg support they oughta just give you 10% off anyway. what a waste.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    FANS FOR THE FAN GOD.

I don't know where I could realistically fit another fan in this build. Harumph.

• Options

standard thermal throttle temp. it'll get there and then start backing off on performance. you probably need better airflow/cooling.

also @Hamurabi: after all that time spent with newegg support they oughta just give you 10% off anyway. what a waste.

I've been able to get Amazon to let me return stuff way past the 30 day return period, and to refund me a $69 restocking fee I legitimately owed.

But I dunno if I'll have as much luck pushing NewEgg. I mean, I think I technically have a case: at no point did I see something saying it was a maximum value of $20. Apparently the email I received initially was supposed to specify in fine print that the one-time-use 10%-off promo code has a max value of $20... but for whatever reason my email was fudged and didn't contain a promo code or that fine print.

I was prepared to buy a Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980 Ti today if I'd gotten the $69 discount that I was expecting. A piddly $20 discount is nowhere near as persuasive.

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    FANS FOR THE FAN GOD.

I don't know where I could realistically fit another fan in this build. Harumph.

you can always put a CLC on the card...
    ABqLg5v.jpg?1

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    A single fan 120mm blowing unobstructed onto/into the card is immensely helpful.

Could consider modding your side-panel to fit a 120mm fan on it. Just a thought.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Awesome, a small local compy shop had a molex-to-SATA power adapter on hand, problem solved. The new system is installing the OS now and everything looks good! Thanks for the help everybody.

Tube doesn't get to laugh at me for running XP anymore either. What a lovely day!

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    I just got my friend's 980 and it's so fucking quiet

God I'm so happy

• Options
    It seems like I need to unleash the kraken on my video card.

• Options
    It seems like I need to unleash the kraken on my video card.

this is true. :hydra:

RxI0N.png
  • Options
    Once the eVGA aftermarket kits for the 980 Ti come back in stock, that should be a good option.

They're only compatible with reference PCBs, though.

• Options
    Kraken cooler is only thirty bucks? Can I afford not to install one?

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Kraken cooler is only thirty bucks? Can I afford not to install one?

You need the adapter and the AIO CLC. Depending on color, $15-30 for the adapter. Your choice of CLC. I intend to do an X31, I think.

Or does NZXT have a separate GPU cooler as well?

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Have you already gone into whatever tuning program comes with your gpu and adjusted the fan profile?

the stock profiles usually run the cards a little hot to keep noise down.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    Word to the wise: be very careful with the Kraken G10.

I bought one for one of my 970's awhile back because I had a leftover H60 and an SLI setup where the top card was getting too hot for my liking on its stock air cooler. It seemed like a no-brainer to go with the G10.

But because the VRMs on my STRIX GTX 970 was located on side opposite the reference PCB has it, the G10's dinky little 92mm cooler was having no effect on my VRMs -- which were running hotter than usual because I also had a substantial OC on my cards. I was getting PC lockups and shutdowns when I tested out the G10 in an open setup (because I'd already decided I was gonna return it) because while the GPU core itself was now being water-cooled, there just was not sufficient VRM cooling.

tl;dr: Make sure an aftermarket GPU cooler is cooling the whole card.

• Options
    yeah, the kraken g10 only does good things if the vrms are underneath the fan. if they aren't, you need a card with a midplate.

RxI0N.png
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Hello marvelous build thread! My S.O. and I have decided it's finally time to upgrade this dinosaur, so we've begun putting together a parts list. Currently we're sitting on an old Yorkfield cpu, Windows Vista, 4gb ram machine; it's been a while. Also, as a result of it's age and the fact it was a prebuilt with sub-par parts, there is little to nothing to salvage from it. Use wise, it's mostly going to be for games (1080p for the time being) and everyday pc tasks. Here's what we have so far, and we'd love your feedback:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ NCIX US)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.98 @ OutletPC)
    Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($6.79 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($134.89 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.49 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($177.89 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($70.89 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($339.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit) ($86.98 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1323.87
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-20 23:06 EDT-0400

I'd be happy to explain why I picked some things if there are any odd items. Some of the areas I intended to knock back for budget reasons (HD space, cpu speed/overclockability) had to be changed. There is the possibility that at some point my S.O. might need to change jobs and put together a demo reel for the interview process, which will include doing Nuke/Blender/Maya based compositing at home. I realize we might need an i7 for that, but I'm hoping we can get by with an overclocked i5 if need be, as the 4790k is a good 50% extra on the cost of the cpu. If that time comes I'm also planning to expand the ram, though I assume 8gb will do for now. I've also thought about cutting the aftermarket cooler and going with the stock fan, since we won't be overclocking day one, but I've seen a lot of benchmarks for the case with some pretty high temps as a result of all the soundproofing, and I figure if I'll need it eventually I might as well get it now and hopefully address case temp in the process.

How does it look so far? We've never built a pc before so we're not sure if we're missing anything obvious. I assume we won't need any additional cables?

Endaro on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    My knowledge on this area is 3 or 4 years out of date, but I don't think you really need a bleeding edge CPU and video card to do 3d rendering work, it just helps make your renders cook faster. Which is important, of course, but you can get away with a lot less, especially if it's a home computer you're using to work on your demo reel on the side, rather than a dedicated workstation. Also digital art is an area where it can really help to have as much RAM as you can afford, and it's not very expensive to go from 8 GB to 16 GB compared to going from an i5 to an i7.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    Endaro wrote: »
    Hello marvelous build thread! My S.O. and I have decided it's finally time to upgrade this dinosaur, so we've begun putting together a parts list. Currently we're sitting on an old Yorkfield cpu, Windows Vista, 4gb ram machine; it's been a while. Also, as a result of it's age and the fact it was a prebuilt with sub-par parts, there is little to nothing to salvage from it. Use wise, it's mostly going to be for games (1080p for the time being) and everyday pc tasks. Here's what we have so far, and we'd love your feedback:

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.98 @ OutletPC)
    Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($6.79 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.49 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($177.89 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($70.89 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($339.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Newegg)

I'd be happy to explain why I picked some things if there are any odd items. Some of the areas I intended to knock back for budget reasons (HD space, cpu speed/overclockability) had to be changed. There is the possibility that at some point my S.O. might need to change jobs and put together a demo reel for the interview process, which will include doing Nuke/Blender/Maya based compositing at home. I realize we might need an i7 for that, but I'm hoping we can get by with an overclocked i5 if need be, as the 4790k is a good 50% extra on the cost of the cpu. If that time comes I'm also planning to expand the ram, though I assume 8gb will do for now. I've also thought about cutting the aftermarket cooler and going with the stock fan, since we won't be overclocking day one, but I've seen a lot of benchmarks for the case with some pretty high temps as a result of all the soundproofing, and I figure if I'll need it eventually I might as well get it now and hopefully address case temp in the process.

How does it look so far? We've never built a pc before so we're not sure if we're missing anything obvious. I assume we won't need any additional cables?

I don't see any glaring issues. You likely won't need any cables. Modern motherboards come with several SATA cables, and that's really the only kind that see use these days. You could pick up a couple more fans if you wanted, but the R5 is quite well sorted by default. On the RAM front, I do agree with @BahamutZERO. If you're thinking 16GB might be desirable in the near future, it's probably worthwhile to do so from the beginning, with 8GB DIMMs (so a kit of 2x8GB sticks) to preserve expandability. I also think you should with a bigger platter drive, if you can. You can buy four times that much storage for less than twice the cost. In the age of the cost-effective SSD, the only real purpose of the HDD is mass storage, and a 1TB drive is a really inefficient use of funds for that purpose.

All that said, we're talking about a Skylake release in less than a month. I'm normally a "pull the trigger or you'll wait forever" kinda guy, but with it so close I would advise that you wait for that, if nothing else you might get a deal on newly "obsolete" parts.

• Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Thanks for the feedback!
    Alecthar wrote: »

I don't see any glaring issues. You likely won't need any cables. Modern motherboards come with several SATA cables, and that's really the only kind that see use these days. You could pick up a couple more fans if you wanted, but the R5 is quite well sorted by default. On the RAM front, I do agree with @BahamutZERO. If you're thinking 16GB might be desirable in the near future, it's probably worthwhile to do so from the beginning, with 8GB DIMMs (so a kit of 2x8GB sticks) to preserve expandability. I also think you should with a bigger platter drive, if you can. You can buy four times that much storage for less than twice the cost. In the age of the cost-effective SSD, the only real purpose of the HDD is mass storage, and a 1TB drive is a really inefficient use of funds for that purpose.

All that said, we're talking about a Skylake release in less than a month. I'm normally a "pull the trigger or you'll wait forever" kinda guy, but with it so close I would advise that you wait for that, if nothing else you might get a deal on newly "obsolete" parts.

As far as the RAM, the jump to two 8gb DIMMs seems about the same in cost to a single 8GB (assuming the same brand/model). Is there an advantage to jumping for it now rather than get it if/when I need it, as it might be cheaper then?

For the HD, we picked the 1tb because right now we're topping out at about 500gb. Increasing the SSD past 500gb seemed too expensive to be worth it, but 1.5tb total seemed like plenty. I don't know if we'd be able to ever come near 4.5tb.

In regard to Skylake, that makes a lot of sense. I had read a lot about price drops being unlikely because Intel chips hold their price pretty well, but I guess the Z97 motherboards and stuff would probably drop. It's probably the reasonable thing to do, but I can't deny the temptation of having it sooner than later. Tough call.

Endaro on
  • Options
    I can't seem to find a utility that allows me to control the fan on my GPU. Nvidia control panel and Geforce Experience don't seem to have that option.

• Options
    I can't seem to find a utility that allows me to control the fan on my GPU. Nvidia control panel and Geforce Experience don't seem to have that option.

try Nvidia Inspector. should have an overclocking tab that will allow you to dial in your fanspeed.

also, you could try writing a new fan profile to your card bios

RxI0N.png
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular

EVGA precision X or MSI afterburner will work. I use EVGA because my card is an EVGA card but they both use the same underlying framework.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    edited July 2015

I'm going to agree with Alecthar. The only other thing I might point out is that you probably don't need the third party heat sink right away if you aren't overclocking (you didn't specify). I had that exact same processor with the stock cooler for 6 months and there were no problems.

Of course, that being said, if you are already inside the machine and you think you might want to overclock it, it's probably easier to install it all the first time :)

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    yeah, the kraken g10 only does good things if the vrms are underneath the fan. if they aren't, you need a card with a midplate.

I don't really know enough about video cards to be able to judge this on the 980 ti. I'm also not sure if there's anywhere to mount a second radiator in my Define R5. I'm sure I can cram a new fan in there somewhere though, and there's still a fan header going unused on the board.

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular

I don't really know enough about video cards to be able to judge this on the 980 ti. I'm also not sure if there's anywhere to mount a second radiator in my Define R5. I'm sure I can cram a new fan in there somewhere though, and there's still a fan header going unused on the board.

There's enough room up front if you strip out the drive cages, but then those aren't available to you.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    @BahamutZERO regarding your power supply: check the manufacturer's website, or possibly some sites like Newegg. They may have replacement cables if you can't find the ones you boxed up. I know it's a bit moot now, but it's nice knowing you have options.

• Options
    5s5g7gmmo6sf.png

This is a diagram of my case. It looks like the only place I can really put a fan for the GPU is the bottom, next to the PSU. it doesn't look like that would cool the whole card though. I already have two intake fans in front, a radiator up top and an outake in the back, plus the cooler fans and radiator (top mounted). Pretty sure there's no room for a second radiator, as happy as that would make me.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    FANS FOR THE FAN GOD.

Remove side panel, replace with box fan.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    What kind of fans are you running up front, Tube? I swapped the stock NZXTs for Aerocool Dead Silences and it seems to have helped the temps. Just wouldn't mount them horizontally.

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    Something pretty basic in the corsair line I think. They're a fucker to mount on the R5. I really need to bring that GPU temp down, 83 degrees is no bueno, and I'm sure it'll effect both lifespan and performance.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Thanks for the feedback!
    Alecthar wrote: »

As far as the RAM, the jump to two 8gb DIMMs seems about the same in cost to a single 8GB (assuming the same brand/model). Is there an advantage to jumping for it now rather than get it if/when I need it, as it might be cheaper then?

Just my two cents, but when talking about RAM, it's always best to keep RAM working in dual channel mode (working in pairs). So, if a person was committed to sticking with 8GB of RAM for the near future, I would go with two 4GB sticks. If there is any plan of upgrading to 16GB in the near future, I would just pull the trigger and get two 8GB sticks.

This has three benefits:
    1. You already have the 16GB headroom you want in the RAM department.
    2. You won't be saturating all of your RAM slots at the 16GB capacity (4x4GB sticks will make for a full PC)
    3. Your RAM will run in dual channel, rather than single channel with a single 8GB stick. This means your RAM has more connections to communicate through, speeding up performance.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    You sure your card in throttling, Tube? Quick googling turns up 2 reviews of 83-84 being their temp under load as well and it's under the max still. 83 isn't 'good', but doesn't look to be a problem, either. If you ARE throttling, then nevermind.

• Options
    I'm not sure how to tell. I was going off CHB saying that was a typical throttle temp. If it's a reasonable temperature for long term use, I'm less worried generally. It just seems super hot. I'd like to be able to leave a game running for a long time and not worry about it.

• Options

The Define R5 has a 120/140mm fan mount position on the side panel. Should definitely get a fan for that slot that will blow (filtered) cool outside air directly onto the GPU.

Oh how I wish I'd sprung for an R5 instead of a Corsair 450D.

• Options
    5s5g7gmmo6sf.png

This is a diagram of my case. It looks like the only place I can really put a fan for the GPU is the bottom, next to the PSU. it doesn't look like that would cool the whole card though. I already have two intake fans in front, a radiator up top and an outake in the back, plus the cooler fans and radiator (top mounted). Pretty sure there's no room for a second radiator, as happy as that would make me.

Do you have the windowed side-panel? If not, the R5 should have a fan mount position there.

By default it's blocked off using their sound-dampening foam.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    5s5g7gmmo6sf.png

I wouldn't worry about those temps - see if you can use some kind of GPU utility to see if you are actually throttling.

Does your GPU have two fans or is it the blower type? If it's the blower then the lower fan might help. If it's the two-fan type, then flipping your PSU over (fan sucking from inside of case) might actually improve things.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    The way the 980 is designed the heat shits itself directly onto my CPU

I noticed that my CPU temps rose to about 40C under idle and 50C at load now

However my GPU at load is now a very cool 60C and I never hear the fucking thing over my reference 290 (which I still need to sell I guess)

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    So, I'm too lazy to go and read though the last 7ish pages that I missed on last holiday. Anyone have a tl;dr: on the saga of Tube's computer?

edit: saga, not sage. I doubt he's seasoning his computer.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
This discussion has been closed.