Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Who... Are... You? [Introductions Thread]

QuothQuoth the RavenMiami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
edited August 2016 in The Writer's Block
caterpillar.jpg
The Caterpillar and Alice looked at each other for some time in silence: at last the Caterpillar took the hookah out of its mouth, and addressed her in a languid, sleepy voice.

'Who are you?' said the Caterpillar.

This was not an encouraging opening for a conversation. Alice replied, rather shyly, 'I — I hardly know, sir, just at present — at least I know who I WAS when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then.'

'What do you mean by that?' said the Caterpillar sternly. 'Explain yourself!'

Go on, then. Explain yourselves. Who are you, what are you doing here, what are you working on and what do you want to be when you grow up? What is your favorite flavor of ice cream? What is a weird trick you can do? What is the strangest thing you did as a child?

Hint: new people, introduce yourselves. Old people, introduce yourselves to the new people so they know you're not creepy. Don't offer candy in vans, THAT'S CREEPY.

KP Duty Roster
Quoth
Munkus Beaver
Amalia
Madican
LoisLane
tapeslinger
bigrickcook
MKR
VanityPants
zenpotato
Xagarath
DoctorJest
DesmondPfeiffer
KCWise
Magell
ElJeffe
ruzkin
chiasaur11
Nova_C
Metzger Meister
wawa78
Mikesta
Cheeseliker
Ceres
credeiki
damienboyes
tidbit
Elaro
Wank
The Ender
MrGrimoire
Berkshire
Brovid Hasselsmof
DieKobun
FecklessRogue
majanz
ClearMadness
Netcat
viegasn
exis
Inkhand
Haughty Robot
EmperorSeth
Inx
SeeJay08
IronRooster

Quoth on
KCWisetapeslingerAmaliaDoctorJestZilla360

• QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I'm Quoth! I've been here for a long time. I can't remember why I started posting, but I probably wanted attention and accolades. I'm working on a space opera novel and a lot of random short stories. My favorite ice cream is vanilla and I can pat my head and rub my tummy at the same time. When I was a kid, I used to pull other kids' teeth out for them, with their consent of course. OF COURSE. YOU CAN'T PROVE OTHERWISE.

Quoth on
    tapeslingerKCWiseDoctorJest
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2015
    I am Munkus, I created this place and used to reign as mod with Brink at my back. I generally only do critiques if specifically requested, because I can get a little intense with my reviewing. I am an attorney, and have a very logical approach to EVERYTHING. Most of my writing has to do with that, but I occasionally write little stories involving a world that I essentially made to run a fantasy game. I tend to have a lot of ideas, but never much of an outlet or drive to accomplish them.

I have written comics, done storyboards, and done a number of tiny short stories. I tend to favor a terse writing style, abrupt and with substance. I have been taught to convey much in little. I love gravitas and epic, flowing narratives.

My favorite author is Terry Pratchett.
    I think the 2nd and 3rd Hunger games are stupid, but the first is tolerable.

Oh, when I was a kid I would make comics about the Munkus Beavers, super powered beavers that were meant to parody various super-heroes with the idea 'hey, they haven't made anything with beavers yet, let's do that!" then very soon after, Angry Beavers debuted and it was crushing.

Then I tried to write stories about Daos and Morphex fighting Omnicron, and I had a huge backstory and shit and would even draw silly concept art. I cannot remember anything about their stories but how I pictured them in my head.

Munkus Beaver on
    Steam name: munkus_beaver
    WiiU: munkusbeaver and Nintendo ID (3DS thinger): 0619-4510-9772
    Blizzard thing: munkus#1952
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    Twitter for health updates: https://twitter.com/MunkusBeaver
    Please give to the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America: http://www.ccfa.org/
    DoctorJest
    I used to write Gargoyles fanfic because best show ever. Now I write thinly veiled Mass Effect fanfic.

I'm saying, don't give up on the Beavers, Munkus. There are enough Beavers to go around.

Amalia
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I never wrote fanfic and was generally repulsed by the entire idea of it ever since I was exposed to it.

The Beavers are dead. Munkus Beaver, the character, I have used for various comic collaborations with various people, including Lexxy and Spectre-X (neither of whom post here anymore).

Steam name: munkus_beaver
    WiiU: munkusbeaver and Nintendo ID (3DS thinger): 0619-4510-9772
    Blizzard thing: munkus#1952
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    Twitter for health updates: https://twitter.com/MunkusBeaver
    Please give to the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America: http://www.ccfa.org/
    I can't wait for someone to write fanfic of my fanfic. Then I will know I've arrived.

• AmaliaAmalia AuthorFace Registered User regular
    I'm Amalia! I stumbled into TWB when several years ago (5?) a friend who was a PA forumer elsewhere and knew I was trying to write books pointed and said POST THERE! I am glad I listened because I've gotten a LOT out of TWB since! I write historical fiction, mythic and epic fantasy, and various genres of romance, depending on the day and the deadline. I'm currently working on some bronze age pre-Trojan War historical fiction, and hopefully I'll be able to write a third Orc Saga book when I'm done. (If not it will be more bronze age pre-Trojan War hist fic.

For as long as I can remember I have wanted to be an author when I grew up. I also wanted to found and support and run my own big cat wildlife sanctuary from my earnings. I have accomplished the first, but the latter is proving to be a bit trickier (LOL earnings!)

My favorite flavor of ice cream is Mint Chocolate Chip! As a kid, I used to press a coin to my forehead and wear it there all day at school. I'm going to go ahead and claim that as a weird trick I can do, too. I also used to host imaginary friend parades in my living room with my best friend. Because of course.

Come on in, the water's fine!

Sometimes I blog. Other times I tweet. But I'm always writing. (and so is that other Amalia)

Give the Gift of Thor! Or maybe you'd be interested in that Orc Book I wrote.
    tapeslingerDoctorJest
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I'm Madican, a relatively new face around here. I haven't written much and nothing of particular note, though I've won a few contests judged by published writers so there's that. My favored genre to read and write is urban fantasy, specifically the kind with modern settings, mythical creatures, and plenty of magic to spare. I sometimes verge into superhero stuff occasionally but considering I don't like superhero comics this tends to diverge greatly from what people tend to think. I think Onepunch Man has colored my perceptions of the genre quite a bit.

My favorite writers are Brandon Sanderson for pretty much everything he's written, which quite a lot because the dude is so prolific and also has lectures for creative writing on Youtube I watch, and Jim Butcher for the Dresden Files. Harry Dresden exemplifies the kind of personality I like in a protagonist, namely the ability to be a smartass to everyone and everything regardless of how much trouble he's in.

My current novel is about a teenage shaman-wannabe who gets murdered by a group of immortals, makes a pact with Thanatos to return as a Revenant, and proceeds to become embroiled in a cosmic game where he is just one of many pawns. Along the way he begins to awaken to his shamanistic abilities, learns why he was killed by the immortals, and with the help of a Reaper named Umbra makes his bid to defy Fate itself.

I occasionally head into the IRC for some sprints but most often can be found on Steam hanging out in the G&T Chat making the most awful puns imaginable.

Madican on
    camo_sig2.png
    PSN: AuthorFrost
    mageofstorm.png
    AmaliatapeslingerDoctorJest
  • LoisLaneLoisLane Registered User regular
    I'm Lois! Lover of comic books, gay romances, and science fiction. I used to dick around on scribophile but suffered an anxiety attack after one too many harsh critiques. Now I'm just trying to write again without nitpicking myself to oblivion.

I have one completed novel, one half-completed novel, and several story beginnings that have gone nowhere. Right now I'm trying to write a gay romance story surrounding an android and his mechanic boyfriend.

My favorite tv genre is action/drama based cartoons like Young Justice, Avatar Last Airbender, and Batman Beyond. I have a love of Marvel Comics though DC popped my comic cherry. I want to write three novels before I turn twenty-one so I've got three years to go.

By the way I am totally open to alpha, beta and any other type of reading exchanges. My critiquing strengths lean towards plot,description and characters over grammar.

AmaliatapeslingerKCWiseDoctorJest
    I started watching Young Justice recently and it is pretty good. I always wonder how DC can get so much right in the cartoons and then make movies that are *fart noise*.

Oh man, I critiqued an urban fantasy novel for the class I'm taking and it is baller. I hope someone picks it up.

• tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    Heya, I'm tapeslinger, aka tape, and I am a transplant from the D&D subforums by way of the AC. In my day job, I'm a sculptor and materials technician, which basically means I consult people on how to use hazardous chemicals and sharp implements for money. I do get to do some technical writing for work, but my career focus outside of my day job is speculative fiction publishing.

I am a submissions editor at Uncanny Magazine, which means I send a lot of rejection letters. While I also am working on a space opera novel (I think I'm Patient Zero in the twb space opera contagion...) which has completely eaten my heart, I am in theory trying to be on the career path of "edit things and submit short fiction until someone asks me if I have anything longer that I'm working on" which is slower than it sounds and about as grindy as trying to level in an mmo.

Black raspberry is the best kind of ice cream possible, except for peanut butter ice cream. They exist in different flavor spectrums for me.

A weird trick, eh, Quoth? I'm "double-jointed" in my hands at least - - almost 2 decades of clay sculpting means I can bend my hands in freaky ways.

I was a total Linus as a wee thing; thumb-sucking, security-blanket cuddling miniature philosopher.

My PM box is always open if you have questions about short fiction publishing - while I'm not the only one of us in that field, I'm glad to demystify the process if you are feeling intimidated by it. I try to drop in and give feedback on what I can, too, but I miss things occasionally. I want to get back to posting some items for critique around here but it can be hard even for us weathered critiquers!

DoctorJest
    I have recently realized that single issues are not my preferred way to read comics but I love them as trades!

Your romance about the android and his mechanic boyfriend sounds super fun, @LoisLane!

Sometimes I blog. Other times I tweet. But I'm always writing. (and so is that other Amalia)

LoisLaneKCWise
    Quoth wrote: »
    I started watching Young Justice recently and it is pretty good. I always wonder how DC can get so much right in the cartoons and then make movies that are *fart noise*.

I don't understand it either. I honestly think they should transfer all the writers for the cartoon series over to their movies. They can't possibly do any worse than they already have.

AmaliaQuoth
    Amalia wrote: »
    I have recently realized that single issues are not my preferred way to read comics but I love them as trades!

Your romance about the android and his mechanic boyfriend sounds super fun, @LoisLane!
    It will be if I ever get it done! I want it to be first novel to go through a traditional publisher.

• bigrickcookbigrickcook Dord of Lance? OklahomaRegistered User regular
    I'm Rick! That is my real name, cause I'm not clever enough to have actual internet names. I've written and self-published three novels and a novella that range in genre from science fiction, supernatural, and plain old literature. I've had a few close calls for short fiction getting published but haven't been traditional published quite yet.

I'm currently engaged in a Year of Writing I've dubbed the 1K a Day Challenge where I write at least 1,000 words of fiction every single day, no days off, and up to this point (past the middle) have been successful! In this Year of Writing I've done multiple short stories, a 170K sci fi novel, working on what was supposed to be a short story and turned into a coming-of-age road trip novel, plus participated in a round-robin writing collaboration. Now I'm writing one story and editing another simultaneously.

Based on what I've said so far you'd be correct in assuming that my writerly interests are all over the map. I love many genres, enjoy a lot more than that, and though it may hurt a career if I'm always chasing disparate genres I'll probably always just write whatever I want to write regardless of genre.

Mint Chocolate Chip is my favorite ice cream.

I want to tell stories. I don't really care what entertainment medium I eventually land in because I like all of them, TV, movies, plays, anime, comics, video games, tabletop board games, novels, novellas, short stories, choose-your-own-adventure books. I want to do it all.

My critiquing strengths lay in character and dialogue and I try to help out whenever I can in crit threads on the forum or via IRC.

http://panningforclouds.com
    Panning For Clouds, a writing blog dedicated to my fiction and writing columns! Updates at least twice a week.
    tapeslingerDoctorJest
    Come sprint with us in the IRC! Now that it's Camp Nano time, a bunch of us tend to be around from about 8-11pm EST. We will make you get your novel done.

We also hang out during the day, but it's more chatty and less productive. We can still drill sergeant at you, though.

• MKRMKR Registered User regular
    Sometimes I pretend to be a talking animal on the internet, and other times I'm a furry. I don't write much aside from random posts on my blog and Facebook, but I do try to write a story at least once a year. I do have a little world/universe I write those stories in, but it's mostly a means to an end. I'm contemplating a full-blown novel.

Most of my productive work is fractal art which I peddle on t-shirts in exchange for slips of paper with pictures of dead people on them.

I like to read science fiction and fantasy, but I also have a thing for gay furry romance. There is nowhere near enough of it, so everything I write has a little bit of that. Be the change.

tapeslingerDoctorJest
  • VanityPantsVanityPants Gokai Red! Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I'm VanityPants! I'm the ghost that lurks in the rafters, calling down misfortune on the fools who dare to populate the forum...

But for really real: I guess I've probably been around the forums for around 5 years now, same as @Amalia. I'd been writing since as early as I can remember, mostly owing to the fact that I was home schooled for a few years and filled my spare time creating stories. I wanted to do NaNoWriMo one year, saw a thread for it here, and the rest is history!

I primarily write fantasy, but I love pretty much any/every genre and will sometimes stray and write other things. I try to bring elements from everywhere into what I'm writing. I used to write a lot of short fiction, but haven't really done much of that lately, and have been dedicating most of my time towards writing a new book and querying agents with completed ones.

So far, @BigRickCook and @Amalia are the only one who got the ice cream question right. Mint chocolate chip is, in fact, the best ice cream!

I'm not sure what my talent is, but I'm hoping that it's being able to read about Quoth's tooth pulling business and not having nightmares about it for the rest of my life.

VanityPants on
    Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
    tapeslingerbigrickcookAmaliaDoctorJest
    I don't know about the others, but I was bitten by a radioactive mint a few years ago. Ever since then, nothing has been the same...

Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
    Quoth
  • tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    Mint chocolate chip is like the bland, inoffensive, middle of the road answer

Not as general as vanilla but still appeals to a wide swath of the ice cream proletariat

Look, MCC is the best and I do not know why you can't understand it's superiority but, it is literally one of TWO of the ONLY mint things I like. MCC ice cream and Thin Mints. Everything else mint-flavored makes me want to gag.

DoctorJest
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    My favorite ice cream is cake batter with gummi bears and cookie dough.

camo_sig2.png
    PSN: AuthorFrost
    mageofstorm.png
    Quoth
    Clearly you've never had a mint Oreo blizzard, Amalia!

Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
    Oh man, cookies and cream. That is my next favorite after vanilla. I do not like gummi bears in ice cream because they get too hard.

Cookies and Cream is definitely my second favorite but I am not sure about MINT oreo blizzard.

Per tape's suggestion, I have added a list to the OP with links to everyone's introductions for future blackmailreference.

tapeslingerAmalia
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    Anything chocolate and/or caramel.

Ooh, dulce de leche ice cream is also a delight. How about caramel drizzled on top, mmm.

• bigrickcookbigrickcook Dord of Lance? OklahomaRegistered User regular
    I'm gonna double down. After Dinner Mint is my second favorite ice cream.

http://panningforclouds.com
    Panning For Clouds, a writing blog dedicated to my fiction and writing columns! Updates at least twice a week.
  • zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Did someone say, "...be creepy"?

I'm zenpotato, but mostly some variation of Matthew in the IRC, which is where I hang my hat most weekdays. I've been bumming around on the forums for 10-12 years or so in some capacity. Early on I spent a lot of time in G&T and playing with various PA guilds in MMOs. At some point awhile back I stumbled into The Writers Block, and now it's pretty much the only spot I still frequent. Honestly, I only check the forums a few times a month or when someone in the IRC links a thread.

As for writing, I've been a professional technical writer for about 9 years. My creative work has taken a backseat to that, but I have a few published stories out there, usually speculative and occasionally in comic form. When it comes to giving feedback, I think my biggest strengths are line level edits for grammar and voice and then big picture thematic feedback.

In particular, I'm a fan of sword and sorcery, some forms of urban fantasy, and big idea sci-fi. Dune is probably my favorite book, but I think my writing style is much more suited to urban fantasy in the Richard Kadrey neighborhood. Right now I'm working out details on a few projects, but am leaning towards giving a time-travel based thriller another shot.

I refuse to play @Quoth 's games. My secrets are not learned so easily, story-witch.

zenpotato on
    tapeslingerKCWiseQuothVanityPantsDoctorJest
    On the other hand, I will sell @zenpotato's secrets at a rate of $100 per pound.

Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    I'm... yeah. Here. Mostly lurking (because writing takes SO MUCH TIME I don't really post on forums) but you'll see me around every so often.
    I'm working on a few novels. Weird fiction, mostly. Geting a lovely pile of rejections to go with them.

tapeslingerAmalia
  • DoctorJestDoctorJest Grand Eedjit The Loony BinRegistered User regular
    Well hey, y'all. I'm DoctorJest -- the name's taken from a Moorcock character that I don't really like (but whose name I thought was awesome).

In my day job, I code things. Then I shout at them, and fix them. I work basically freelance, which is awful for trying to do other things like writing, because you don't get hours, evenings, and weekends to plan around -- instead, you get deadlines and business and occasional stretches where you can write for days without interruption, mixed in with others where you're working all day (or all week) to get things done. Sometimes I manage to balance them well. More often I don't.

(I became a programmer because I enjoyed writing text adventures. It took me years to realise that it was the writing bit I enjoyed, not the coding bit, and that I had inadvertently made a grievous error in my career choice.)

I write stories of all kinds, but my first haunt is fantasy, and science fiction is my second -- so of course, the only stories I've had accepted anywhere have been broadly classified as horror and/or "weird". I've accumulated over two hundred rejections along the way, but they are at least getting friendlier.

Oh, and mint chocolate chip is the ice-cream of my childhood, bought from a very specific shop in a very specific town, where I used to visit my grandparents for the summer. But only that specific mint chocolate chip ice-cream tops my list -- in all other circumstances, the King is double-caramel Magnum bars.

tapeslingerAmalia
  • DesmondPfeifferDesmondPfeiffer The secret diary of- Registered User regular
    I feel a bit odd introducing myself since I really only drop in intermittently, and then really just for the 'What are we reading?' thread.

I'm DesmondPfeiffer, and no, that's not my real name. Let's just say back in my day I was a big fan of the Clerks animated series for the short duration of it's life. I love to read and write, though as far as TWB goes I really just drop in for potential book suggestions. I'm a helpless lurker on all forums, much more inclined to observe than participate. I mostly write sci-fi or fantasy, but strictly for fun. I've never seriously considered trying to get published. I won't lie though, if I ever drum up something I feel is far above average I would give it a shot. I don't have a lot of confidence in my technique or my ideas though, so who knows if that will ever happen.

My favorite ice cream is probably green tea or purple yam, which is a shame because they are both very hard to find where I live. I also would love to be a marine biologist, racecar driver, or superspy when I grow up.

Amaliatapeslinger
    Nothing at all wrong with writing for fun. No one is ever under obligation to work at getting better or try to get published or any of that. Writing is kind of a weird hobby in that many people don't see it as an end in itself, when there's no reason why it can't be.

Green tea ice cream is pretty cool. But what about... boba tea?!

KCWiseAmaliaLoisLanetapeslingerMagell
    Eugh, boba tea. I don't want anything to do with those stupid little tapioca balls, no thank you.

Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
    AmaliaElJeffe
    Eugh, boba tea. I don't want anything to do with those stupid little tapioca balls, no thank you.

They remind me of fish eggs or frog eggs. totally grosses me out.

• DesmondPfeifferDesmondPfeiffer The secret diary of- Registered User regular
    I tried boba tea once, in an anonymous Ohio mall, when I was a very young teenager. It was different. All I can say is it apparently didn't make me ever seek it out again.

Have you ever tried popping boba?