Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Who... Are... You? [Introductions Thread]

• tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    boba tea, yum. I used to get the fixings to diy it at home at M2M on the Lower East Side, but it's been so long since I've been down there.

• VanityPantsVanityPants Gokai Red! Registered User regular
    LoisLane wrote: »
    Eugh, boba tea. I don't want anything to do with those stupid little tapioca balls, no thank you.
    Have you ever tried popping boba?

Nope nope nope!

And I never, ever will. Some things in life are better left a mystery.

Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    We should move from ice cream to pudding flavors so I can discuss my love for tapioca.

Spoilers: I love tapioca.

Magell
  • AmaliaAmalia AuthorFace Registered User regular
    Chocolate Pudding FOREVER.

Sometimes I blog. Other times I tweet. But I'm always writing. (and so is that other Amalia)

Give the Gift of Thor! Or maybe you'd be interested in that Orc Book I wrote.
  • DoctorJestDoctorJest Grand Eedjit The Loony BinRegistered User regular
    Assuming that I can interpret pudding the English way, I must put forward a case for banoffee pie.

It is banoffee pie. That is all the case it needs.

• tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    Quoth, you are an odd duck, an odd duck indeed.

I will rebel against this "pudding" movement with key lime yogurt, especially the Chobani one with graham cracker sprinkles om nom nom nom nom

• KCWiseKCWise Barefoot in my Husband's KitchenRegistered User regular
    I totally hijacked a computer to make this post possible!

Heyooo, I'm KC! As you can see by my avatar, I'm the resident angry Black woman of the group. And, yeah, I've got it goin' on and I bring all the cool and the funk around here. That's just how it is.

In the real world, I'm a terribly over-educated stay-at-home mom in the all-white suburbs of MetroWest Boston. I've got two bi-racial sons and I'm trying, trying to navigate the strange world of million-dollar mansions, mini-vans, high-end cuisines and listening to women who drive Audis and sport $400 Coach bags call everything "ghetto." It's... an aggravating life. But my two boys are getting the best start in life I can give them.

So I work it out in my writing. I blog about my experiences three times a week here. While I'm not afraid of Spec Fic, I write mostly literature. I've been informed that my writing dances right on the edge, hanging out in the glorious gray area known as "Magical Realism," and I feel pretty comfortable there. I think that magic is a real and functioning thing in the world, and I like to explore that in my writing. I also explore race and class a lot in my writing because, well, I live it all day every day. Favorite authors are Toni Morrison and Alice Walker for all the obvious reasons. Langston Hughes, too. So far, since joining TWB, I've written a novel, a novella, a few short stories, and I've even had the audacity to submit a few for publications. Haven't made my first sale yet, but I'll be damned if I fail. This is my thing now. You all are my people.

I love to bake bread and I've been known to send it in the mail. I love to cook and I'm a grilling master. I also knit and sew in my down time. If I'm not doing those things, I'm retwisting my locs (because they are eating my life!) or I'm watching Scandal (because obviously).

Favorite ice cream is Black Raspberry. Oh. My. God. Hood Brand Black Raspberry is God in ice cream form.

Don't mistake the Bay State address and think me a New Englander. I am a very proud Marylander. My blood tastes of Old Bay. My colors fly Ravens Purple and Orioles Orange and the colors of my heart are Black and Gold.

DoctorJestbigrickcooktapeslingerAmalia
    KC sent me a brioche and I made french toast with it and it was the best french toast ever. Fact.

tapeslinger
    Also, purple is my favorite color. Coincidence?!

tapeslinger
    edited July 2015
    Um. How does one get on this Brioche gravy train? ASKING FOR A FRIEND.

Amalia on
    Sometimes I blog. Other times I tweet. But I'm always writing. (and so is that other Amalia)

edited July 2015
    Amalia wrote: »
    Um. How does one get on this Brioche gravy train? ASKING FOR A FRIEND.

Clandestine Claus! All you have to do is be KC's Clandestine Claus and apparently intimidate the crap out of her by your mere existence

and then knock it out of the fucking park with homemade goodies

tapeslinger on
    Amalia
    Oh well.
    IN THAT CASE.

tapeslinger
    She made me a book cover! *cuddles it gleefully*

Amalia
    Seriously I am so excited for CC this year if you are all down to give it a go again. I still have @ElJeffe 's Rubik's Cubicorn on my wall above my desk, where I look at it, daily, and generally bask in its awesome watchful glow

ElJeffe
  • KCWiseKCWise Barefoot in my Husband's KitchenRegistered User regular
    What Quoth is classy and gracious enough not to tell you is that my Clandestine Claus came, like, 4 months late. It was disgraceful. And then a snow storm or something happened, so the bread was late!

So I sorta owe Quoth more and better bread. And what she doesn't know if that I've learned even more stuff! Like oatmeal molasses bread and sweet pineapple Hawaiian bread... and Amalia, you aren't that far from me, so I feel like bread could get to you in like, A DAY!

And since Tape is gonna be here in October, I think Tape is gettin' some SUPER FRESH bread!!

And Quoth has to get bread again as soon as it's cool enough to bake again because GODDESSES GET BREAD. That's a thing. True Facts. You put bread at the Alter of Quoth and publication happens.

I wish, I would be putting bread at my altar every damn day. Instead I just put it in my tum tum and get a round little pot.

I um.
    I would not say no to bread.

also totally jealous of you guys all HANGING OUT.

I will just be passing through the Boston area en route to Martha's Vineyard so I would be remiss in not trying to get to hang out with a friend on the way! I'm thinking of going up to Boston early that Friday, doin some sightseeing and getting a hotel room, and then heading to the workshop Saturday so I have some more time to poke around. (The actual thing doesn't start til Sunday but a lot of people go early to manage pre-workshop angst and woes and I suspect I will need that buffer time myself.)

Amalia
    I um.

also, on this note, if you are a person I know through here I am typically down to hang out if you are ever in the NYC area.

• MagellMagell Sphinx! Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    I'm Magell it's the name of a D&D character I created in high school and a character name in every fantasy thing I write until one gets published then he'll be stuck in that story/novel. Ben & Jerry's Cheesecake Brownie is the best ice cream flavor, it's not even close.

I write and kind of genre fiction. Noir, fantasy, sci-fi, cyberpunk it's all good in my opinion. I'm a bad writer, but a good video game player and occasionally remember to actually work on writing stuff and getting something going with that. I'm fairly good at writing, but dislike editing and rewriting my own work. I love giving crits and fixing other people's writing.

I live too far North and whine about shoveling snow a lot in the winter.

DoctorJesttapeslingerAmaliaKCWise
    I have been tempted to include the character Krid Kradding in many stories. Not my character, just the name of a character who was included in the shortest story my friend ever wrote -- he got two lines in and quit. And yet, it's surprisingly memorable.

• VanityPantsVanityPants Gokai Red! Registered User regular
    I um.

@BigRickCook is coming down to Texas so we can go see the Dragonball movie together!

You guys seriously all need to move to Texas. That's where the party's at.

Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
    bigrickcookAmalia
    No offense, VP, but NEVAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tapeslingerMagellKCWise
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    Quite happy with my humid but somewhat progressive southern enclave.

DoctorJest
  • LoisLaneLoisLane Registered User regular
    LoisLane wrote: »
    Eugh, boba tea. I don't want anything to do with those stupid little tapioca balls, no thank you.
    Have you ever tried popping boba?

Nope nope nope!

And I never, ever will. Some things in life are better left a mystery.

No! Hear me out. Popping boba is essentially fruit juice pressed into balls and put in the tea. Think gushers but less sickly sweet. Also try not to drink boba milk tea, the juice kind is always much better.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Hello! I am ElJeffe, which is Spanish for "The Jeff," because I am the most cleverest person ever at nicknames.

My day job is as a data analyst for the state, which is actually really fun if you're the sort of person who thinks "The payment profile for relocation benefits is logarithmic, but with an asymptote at the payment cap" is a super-interesting sentence. Prior to data analysis, I was a video game artist. Prior to that, I designed and built robots. My career path has been... unconventional.

My writing tends to be spec fic of various flavors, with the more successful pieces having strong horror elements. I tend to knock off a few short pieces, then spend long periods working on novels. One of the novels, I think, actually has promise!

When I'm not writing or playing with sexy, sexy numbers, or being a dad or a husband, I like cooking. Also: drawing. Also: sidewalk chalk art. Also: decorating cakes. Also: playing guitar. Also: general crafty things. Sometimes I read math textbooks for fun. I am not a normal person.

Favorite ice cream flavor? It varies, but generally something caramely. Currently, I'm into vanilla bean ice cream topped with a salted caramel I made way too much of for a cake.

I'm more of a cheesecake fella, though.

Maddie: "I named my feet. The left one is flip and the right one is flop. Oh, and also I named my flip-flops."

I make tweet.
    tapeslingerKCWiseDoctorJest
    Make me a gay rainbow cake, The Jeff.

• ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    Hey, team. I'm Ruz. I joined the PA forums in 2007 just to get access to the Writer's Block, and immediately fell in love. I've been writing science fiction, fantasy and horror seriously for about ten years, and have self-pubbed a whole bunch of my work across multiple genres. I'm currently working on a science fiction novel which I hope to be querying by the end of the year.

Currently re-reading Pratchett, Gene Wolfe, Scott Snyder and China Mieville. I read more comics than novels these days. Not sure why. I like pretty pictures, I guess?

g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Krypton, the noblest element. The gas of kings! Kings!Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I am pretty sure that this forum has the highest Female to Male ratio of any forum here, but I never quite realized it until now.

Steam name: munkus_beaver
    WiiU: munkusbeaver and Nintendo ID (3DS thinger): 0619-4510-9772
    Blizzard thing: munkus#1952
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    Twitter for health updates: https://twitter.com/MunkusBeaver
    Please give to the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America: http://www.ccfa.org/
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Key lime cheesecake forever.

camo_sig2.png
    PSN: AuthorFrost
    mageofstorm.png
    ElJeffe
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    MKR wrote: »

I have a cake that could be construed as a pair of colorful gay male shark robots engaging in aggressive foreplay. Would that work?

Maddie: "I named my feet. The left one is flip and the right one is flop. Oh, and also I named my flip-flops."

I make tweet.
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Registered User regular
    Well, I picked an awkward time to come in, didn't I?

Might as well fulfill the basic criteria, though.

I'm Chiasaur11, name taken from a very, very minor character in the Hsu and Chan comics than ran in EGM back in the distant past when actual dinosaurs roamed the Earth and people read magazines instead of just going online. Been here for a bit, very rarely put something up. I try to keep in shape, writing-wise, but it's like posting notebook doodles. Seems bad form to put something up for critique that was never built to stand up to scrutiny. Spent the past few years trying to hit a lot of the classics, reading-wise, which puts me into a one-or-two books a month cooldown at the moment. Would put Pratchett and Gibson towards the top of the list for general reading.

Ice cream, I'm a chocolate kind of guy. Bit basic, but it means I can find it almost anywhere, so it works out alright.

DoctorJest
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    MKR wrote: »

I have a cake that could be construed as a pair of colorful gay male shark robots engaging in aggressive foreplay. Would that work?

I leave the artistic aspect in your capable fins.

Welp, guess that's all of us then.

*closes the doors*

*welds them shut*

Yes, welded shut doors are exactly the welcoming feel we're going for in this thread :P

The one plus is, with the doors welded shut, it's a lot easier to figure out how much dessert to make.

tapeslingerKCWiseMagell
    /bores a hole in the side wall and posts a sign: "free ice cream or possibly pudding"

/bores a hole in the side wall and posts a sign: "free ice cream or possibly pudding"

"definitely not a trap"

KCWiseMagellchiasaur11
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Registered User regular
    Yes, welded shut doors are exactly the welcoming feel we're going for in this thread :P

No, you see, it makes people curious about what's on the other side. It's brilliant.

TinklesQuothAmalia