As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS Vita/PSTV: It's this really obscure handheld, you've probably never heard of it

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    For the Atelier dusk series it goes alchemist of dusk and then escha and logy, right?

The Atelier Dusk trilogy goes Ayesha, Escha & Logy, and finally Shallie.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    Quick and random P4G question, while it's on my mind:

If you choose a certain difficulty level when starting the game, do you get to change it when going to NG+? Trying to decide whether or not to play on Normal my first time around, but hoping I can dial it up for a second run. Any recommendations as far as difficulty goes?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    If memory serves, you can actually change it anytime from the option menu in NG+.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    NG+ allows you to not just change the overall difficulty, it lets you tweak individual difficulty aspects.

For instance, you can make battles far more difficult by decreasing the amount of damage you do to enemies and increasing the amount of damage they do to you, but if you don't want to have a grindy second playthrough, you can opt for battles to give your party a lot of experience and money. This results in a game with tougher battles but less time fighting random mobs to get strong enough to enjoy the ones the matter.

And yes, you can change those options at any time.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    That's fantastic. Thanks!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I don't know how it hasn't become industry standard to allow custom difficulty tweaks in JRPGs after P4G. It fucks with the balance but if I wanted a regular playthrough I could just dial that in. You can never really go wrong by assuming your players are intelligent enough to make it fun for themselves.

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    In case your Vita recently updated, be sure to go into the system settings and uncheck "Use Wifi in Power Save Mode". I started downloading my Golden Week purchases yesterday, then came back hours later to find nothing had happened.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Lovely wrote: »
    Sold an old wii game on ebay, so I was able to get a few things from the Golden Week sale a little bit before payday!

Games I picked up:
    *Super beat : Xonic . (Oh, I'm sorry the correct title is "SUPERBEAT: XONiC" . the majority of the title is super pumped to be here! Except that asshole "i")
    *Hatoful Boyfriend: Holiday Star

On payday, Oreshika and Toukiden look miiiighty temptin. Yakuza 5 I hear is fun too, but I think I'm at my money limit.

EDIT- Ah crap, Tears to Tiara looks tempting as well...

I highly recommend Oreshika, but will caution that way too many of its mechanics are either hidden or poorly explained which can make things frustrating, and the main plot/being saddled with a sub-par character is likewise very much not good. Similar to most Tri-Ace games, there's definitely a bunch you should know that's not clear from the game itself to make it a lot more fun and playable in general. Learning those lessons in the game itself was frustrating for me since you can spend hours beating your head against a wall, feeling like you're making no progress whatsoever.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    In case your Vita recently updated, be sure to go into the system settings and uncheck "Use Wifi in Power Save Mode". I started downloading my Golden Week purchases yesterday, then came back hours later to find nothing had happened.

Hm. I can't actually find this option. Maybe I'm failing my spot check.

• Options
    Should be under Settings > Power Save Settings. Don't have my Vita right now to verify.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    That's so weird and unintuitive that it would need to be unchecked.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I went ahead and picked up Severed. I hadn't heard about that game at all, and studios willing to be that weird deserve a reward.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular

What it does is set the WiFi to Power Save mode, so for better quality you want to turn it off.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    AspectVoid wrote: »

What it does is set the WiFi to Power Save mode, so for better quality you want to turn it off.

Yeah, but the way I interpret it is, "When the Vita is in Power Save Mode, continue to allow WiFi to function".

It would have been smarter to label the option as: "Turn WiFi off when not in use".

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Yeah. The option is just stupidly labelled.

It should have been 'Use Low Power mode Wi-Fi'
    And then have another option for 'Allow Wi-Fi in Standby mode'

You know... standard options text

I have to do a lot of mental contortions to understand that what they put as the label for that option isn't technically incorrect, it's just terrible in expressing what it actually does because of an overlapping possibility

Takel on
    Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Yeah, to me, that option wording feels like something that was badly translated from Japanese.

Lovely on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Hello! Your resident God Eater fanatic is here to give you unasked for new information about the NA release of God Eater!

Bamco had a stream tonight and they gave a bit more information about a few things.

Er. nothing much new for this thread, but the pre-order pages for the PS4 version are currently up at Bamco's site and Gamestop's. Amazon will probably have it tomorrow or so.

VITA news-

The games will be digital only (in the US.) digital pre-orders for GE2 will be made available on 6-28-16, the same day GE Resurrection goes up. Basically, when you pre-order GE2 on that day, you get the download for GE Res immediately.

If, for any reason you want JUST God Eater Resurrection, (or when GE2 "day one" editions stop being sold) , you can purchase it for $20. It will be available digitally only.

Hm. I think that's pretty much all the relevant info from the stream. If I've forgotten something, feel free to ask or add. It was a crowded, and fast moving chat, but it was also, strangely, the most polite crowded twitch chat I've been to in a while. It was almost creepy. But it was fun! Just a bunch of GE crazies like me ;) .

Lovely on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Awesome, thanks for the digest version of the stream, @Lovely !

• Options
    MorranMorran Registered User regular
    Artereis wrote: »
    I went ahead and picked up Severed. I hadn't heard about that game at all, and studios willing to be that weird deserve a reward.

It's a drinkbox game. Which is one of the very few companies who's games could make me buy a console.

Severed is really, really good by the way. Probably the best implementation of touch screen combat ever.

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I imported a couple of rhythm games the other month and decided to give one of them a go today: The Idolmaster: Must Songs.

Turns out it's a reskinned Taiko no Tatsujin, a series I've never played before but one with a good 15 years of releases behind it. It has a single note line, there are red and blue notes, you use one set of buttons for red and another for blue, sometimes you need to press two red or two blue at the same time.

The version I bought (there are two) has 27 songs that you have definitely heard before if you've played pretty much any other Idolmaster rhythm game (Live For You, Shiny Festa for example). Curiously, Otonashi (who isn't an idol, she's more of the office manager) gets a couple of songs.

I played through all 27 on easy and had no trouble getting full combos on all, though I didn't get any perfect combos (full combo with all notes at "good" rating). Normal difficulty was a little trickier but I can see myself growing into it. Hard is insane and there is a difficulty above hard; I won't be trying that any time soon.

For roughly 30 bucks and not needing much Japanese knowledge (basic kana will help you a ton) I think it makes a pretty good diversion.

Edit: turns out it's 40 songs and 10 alternate versions on top of that; you just need to buy everything past the first 27 with money earned from playing the initial song set.

baudattitude on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Morran wrote: »

It's a drinkbox game. Which is one of the very few companies who's games could make me buy a console.

Severed is really, really good by the way. Probably the best implementation of touch screen combat ever.

The combat is really remarkable. Like, y'know that... I don't know, the Souls feeling when your stomach kinda' tightens up but you're keeping all your balls in the air and you're making all the right moves and you're feeling really vicious and thoughtful about a fight (actually The Last of Us is a good example too). Severed manages that like, every single time it throws a tougher fight at you.

The game's only downsides are
    1) it's not Guacamelee 2
    2) the way you have to hold the Vita in order to play it is weird and unusual, and thus a bit hard at first.

I utilize like a split grip - my left index hold the Vita at the top, my two middle fingers support it from behind, my pinkie holds it at the bottom, and my left thumb controls look/movement while my right index is the touchy-swipie.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Chance wrote: »

The combat is really remarkable. Like, y'know that... I don't know, the Souls feeling when your stomach kinda' tightens up but you're keeping all your balls in the air and you're making all the right moves and you're feeling really vicious and thoughtful about a fight (actually The Last of Us is a good example too). Severed manages that like, every single time it throws a tougher fight at you.

1) it's not Guacamelee 2
    2) the way you have to hold the Vita in order to play it is weird and unusual, and thus a bit hard at first.

I utilize like a split grip - my left index hold the Vita at the top, my two middle fingers support it from behind, my pinkie holds it at the bottom, and my left thumb controls look/movement while my right index is the touchy-swipie.
    I just switch grips when I move; I have one grip for touchscreen fights and another grip for moving around the map. When fighting, you can just tap the icon of the monster's cooldown meter to switch to that monster's screen. I find that it's faster than fumbling with the analog stick to rotate to the correct monster.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

1) it's not Guacamelee 2

I just switch grips when I move; I have one grip for touchscreen fights and another grip for moving around the map. When fighting, you can just tap the icon of the monster's cooldown meter to switch to that monster's screen. I find that it's faster than fumbling with the analog stick to rotate to the correct monster.

I started working the controls much better when I learned that the d-pad and the buttons move and turn when you're on the main screen. So I picked my favorite hand, used that for swiping and the other moved me around. The controls are conveniently ambidextrous like that.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

1) it's not Guacamelee 2

Oh shits! This is a game changer. I didn't know I could tap the icons.

• Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So I probably shouldn't buy Senran Kagura Bon Appetit for the affordable and low price of $8....right?

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    So I probably shouldn't buy Senran Kagura Bon Appetit for the affordable and low price of $8....right?

You're making Katsuragi and Choco very sad.

mqdefault.jpg

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    ...damnit. I can't hurt Kat!

• Options
    Superbeat: Xonic is pretty fun everyone. I find myself boppin' my head to the beats. And I'm normally more of a foot tapper! I'm guessing it's because of the game layout, but still.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I spent some time with Severed last night. They really chose an art style that shines on the Vita's OLED screen. My only real nitpick so far is that there's such a difference from screen to screen that it makes the exploration feel a little disjointed.

• Options
    I spent some time with Severed last night. They really chose an art style that shines on the Vita's OLED screen. My only real nitpick so far is that there's such a difference from screen to screen that it makes the exploration feel a little disjointed.

Drinkbox likes their primary colors. Just happens that this game has more red.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    If I end up getting SC on Vita, but I played through FC on PC, am I going to be missing anything because I didn't import a save? Is SC on Vita just as good as it is on PC?

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    If I end up getting SC on Vita, but I played through FC on PC, am I going to be missing anything because I didn't import a save? Is SC on Vita just as good as it is on PC?

You get certain starting bonuses based on how high your BP rank in FC was, and you can start at a marginally higher level than the beginning content, but otherwise you won't miss anything significant.

I believe some NPCs that you helped last game will have some altered dialogue to recognize that you helped them, as well.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    You can download a save though.

• Options

Eh, I'd go for the PC version myself. The graphic quality is higher and it has fun messages for the treasure chests.

sig.gif
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    August 30, PS4/Vita

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsyWKwp2dvc

I think at this point it's safe to say Sega has finally gotten the message that people will buy the Project Diva games.

Donnicton on
  • Options

Eh, I'd go for the PC version myself. The graphic quality is higher and it has fun messages for the treasure chests.

But...but...I wanna lay in bed and play it! :D

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular

I thought the fun messages for treasure chests were in both versions?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Not for the PSP vers of SC. The reason Xseed could do it for the first game was due to a programing thing. Okay. I am not good at this jargon, so I'm going to do my best to explain -

The chests in the the JP version of FC all said the same thing "the chest is empty." but instead of that line being leading to just one instance of code that every chest would display upon being checked, the game had this message pasted to EVERY chest individually. Xseed noticed this and had some fun with it in FC.

Now, in SC, Falcom coded the game a bit smarter and mostly each chest just pings a single file to display the same message. HOWEVER for the PC version, Xseed had more freedom and ability to mess with the code a bit, and so they added code so that they could make a bunch of new chest messages again.

Anyways, I explained that to the best of my abilities. I read about it in an Xseed blog post or twitter posts or ...something, I can't remember, but I can't find said post now.

sig.gif
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    The few chest lines they were able to put into the PSP version though are hilarious. But yeah, 90% of them say the same thing.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    I dunno if having amusing lines for empty chests trumps portability though