As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Rocket League]: PA Rocket Society on Friday Nights

• Options
    BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    Thank you, you're too kind, it got kind of late last night and you were in a different game so I didn't bug you.

• Options
    dalitubadalituba Registered User regular
    NBC here we come. Hopefully it's a double elimination format so we get to play 2 series :)

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I'm reading more and more about the game and what the team wants to do with it on Switch, and it makes me want it now!!!! lol

Good news then, the Steam Summer Sale started today and it's currently 40% off holy shit!

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Fucking finally.

lyc9ic84icq9.png

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    grats!!

• Options
    Play without me for enough games and it was bound to happen.

• Options
    dalituba wrote: »
    Play without me for enough games and it was bound to happen.

You got me most of the way there buddy.

You are the wind beneath my rocket-powered wings.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    And I finally got gold! Baby steps!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      Honestly, Gold is brutal right now. I don't know what the deal is, but the competition there is fierce. I actually found my games a bit easier once I finally got up into Platinum. Not sure if it's just because I'm playing with better teammates or what exactly, but it's really strange.

Steam | Twitch
    • Options
      Big Dookie wrote: »
      Honestly, Gold is brutal right now. I don't know what the deal is, but the competition there is fierce. I actually found my games a bit easier once I finally got up into Platinum. Not sure if it's just because I'm playing with better teammates or what exactly, but it's really strange.

I'd agree. My matches go from gold people who should be bronze to silver people who do aerial juggling. It's very inconsistent

• Options
        crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
        Soon as I finish Wolfenstein, I think I'm gonna put more effort into Rocket League again. Gonna take some time to shake off some of the rust.
        Are people playing 2s or 3s? Last I checked, 2s were more popular in-game

• Options
        edited June 2017
        Soon as I finish Wolfenstein, I think I'm gonna put more effort into Rocket League again. Gonna take some time to shake off some of the rust.
        Are people playing 2s or 3s? Last I checked, 2s were more popular in-game

I play a pretty good mix of both actually. I enjoy both modes for different reasons... 2v2 is a bit more calculated and strategic, while 3v3 can be very fast and fun when you have good teammates who rotate correctly (which I usually am not). For me it probably breaks down about 60% of the time in 2v2 and 40% of the time in 3v3.

That said, I spend 0% of the time in 1v1 matches anymore, because fuck that noise.

EDIT - This is assuming ranked matches only btw. I do still like to change things up with Hoops and Dropshot now and then.

Big Dookie on
        Steam | Twitch
      • Options
        SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
        I like 3s better than 2s but I think both modes are fun to play. To me 2s is very unforgiving, any little mistake can cost you a goal and communication is much more important. 3s is a whole different game, you have more room to try stuff because you know there's usually a teammate covering you and it's super satisfying when a team rotates well. 1s is also not my thing, I'm very aware that I should improve my dribbling skills but I'd probably just get too nervous playing solo for it to be fun.

camo_sig2.png
      • Options
        SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
        Also, do you like Rocket League? (ofc you do, duh) Do you like Rick and Morty? Well, good news then: https://www.rocketleague.com/news/rick-and-morty-are-coming-to-rocket-league/

camo_sig2.png
      • Options
        TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
        i agree gold is a nightmare right now, I keep jumping between silver and gold, the silver matches I absolutely dominate and my teammates are usually decent, but then when I get to gold its like I'm playing with people who just bought that night.

I miss playing with high ranked people.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
      • Options
        edited June 2017
        so as someone who grinded the hard way out of gold, here is the secret: stop hitting the ball.

no, seriously. stop going for the ball. gold (and platinum, trust me) is full of people who essentially believe it is their job 100% of the time to make solo plays because they think they are god's gift to the pitch

at that rank though, the vast majority of them are absolutely terrible

if you start watching the players over the ball, you will start to learn to predict when your opponents (or team mate!) will absolutely whiff a ball and leave something open.

this is an easier-said-than-done phenomenon but I've noticed playing with some of y'all that one of the big limiting factors in your play is turning at weird spots to go chase a ball, making a bad touch off a wall that throws possession to the other team. we're all guilty of it, to be fair, but it's one of the easiest things to fix--make your touches deliberate, and stop trying to follow up everything yourself

EDIT: another addendum, there's something to be said for mechanical skill in all this. in the past 3 months or so I have learned to aerial backwards from most positions, and the ability to make a good touch from a position your opponents are not expecting (due to their own mechanical blind spots) can be invaluable. still, for the vast majority of people who believe/want their rank to be higher, learning when you are and are not supposed to contribute to a play is huge

Super Namicchi on
      • Options
        FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
        I generally just decide that I'm the guy who is generally going to hang back and play conservative defense. I typically don't go past halfway down the field unless I have a really good opening that I think makes sense.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
      • Options
        m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
        so as someone who grinded the hard way out of gold, here is the secret: stop hitting the ball.

no, seriously. stop going for the ball. gold (and platinum, trust me) is full of people who essentially believe it is their job 100% of the time to make solo plays because they think they are god's gift to the pitch

at that rank though, the vast majority of them are absolutely terrible

if you start watching the players over the ball, you will start to learn to predict when your opponents (or team mate!) will absolutely whiff a ball and leave something open.

this is an easier-said-than-done phenomenon but I've noticed playing with some of y'all that one of the big limiting factors in your play is turning at weird spots to go chase a ball, making a bad touch off a wall that throws possession to the other team. we're all guilty of it, to be fair, but it's one of the easiest things to fix--make your touches deliberate, and stop trying to follow up everything yourself

EDIT: another addendum, there's something to be said for mechanical skill in all this. in the past 3 months or so I have learned to aerial backwards from most positions, and the ability to make a good touch from a position your opponents are not expecting (due to their own mechanical blind spots) can be invaluable. still, for the vast majority of people who believe/want their rank to be higher, learning when you are and are not supposed to contribute to a play is huge

I think this is what's keeping me in bronze (well that, and not playing for large stretches at a time, and being shunted off into ELO hell where my teammates are often less than useless [they actually seem to actively help the opposing team with their bad play]). I make lots of dumb moves when @Mvrck and I group up but despite his rank pulling in guys that are much better than me, the game is more fun and the game feels less like pee-wee soccer with all the kids swarming the ball and more like junior high leagues :biggrin:

• Options
        I generally just decide that I'm the guy who is generally going to hang back and play conservative defense. I typically don't go past halfway down the field unless I have a really good opening that I think makes sense.

this can be just as bad though! playing too passively actually sends car body language to your team mates to stay up and continue to try and make plays. If they see someone sitting down at the net 24/7 they won't rotate and there will naturally come openings for the other team (if they are rotating, or rotating better at least) because at some point your allies are going to leave the ball for boost and give up possession.

• Options

this can be just as bad though! playing too passively actually sends car body language to your team mates to stay up and continue to try and make plays. If they see someone sitting down at the net 24/7 they won't rotate and there will naturally come openings for the other team (if they are rotating, or rotating better at least) because at some point your allies are going to leave the ball for boost and give up possession.

While true, this can be tough to gauge when playing with strangers. If I jump into a game and see both of my teammates playing aggresively way upfield and not coming back for a full rotation after a challenge, I'm going to be way less inclined to want to leave my defensive position. At the same time though, they may be sitting up there wondering why I'm not coming out of the 3 position and moving upfield so they can come back. Sometimes it just takes a bit to get in the groove with certain people.

Steam | Twitch
      • Options
        yep -- you can only make so much effort in conditioning your team

• Options
        Everyone just needs to watch episodes of Gibbs replay analysis on loop.

• Options
        https://www.rocketleague.com/news/changes-competitive-season-5/

Details of season 5 changes to ranked are out. No rank reset at all and big changes to how rewards work.

• Options
        AZkBEAR.png

holy shit boys, I never thought in a million years I'd get to this point

• Options
        dalituba wrote: »
        https://www.rocketleague.com/news/changes-competitive-season-5/

Details of season 5 changes to ranked are out. No rank reset at all and big changes to how rewards work.

While I think ultimately this is probably a good decision overall (because the first few weeks after a rank reset really are a shit-show), I have to admit that I will miss the process of placement matches and the fun and chaos that brought. Those were always fun times. Will be interesting to see how the new rewards work out.

Steam | Twitch
      • Options
        Anyone grouping up for games today?

• Options
        Anyone grouping up for games today?

I'd play but I'm bad!

• Options
          Think we can get enough to do PA 3s ranked tonight?

• Options
            Im about to start dinner, but possibly after that!

• Options
            Im about to start dinner, but possibly after that!

Just @ me and I'll be ready, just having some coffee and reading

• Options
              edited July 2017
              hey @TimFiji im aroundddddddd

steam name is same as forum name

crimsoncoyote on
            • Options
              Gotcha, @ArcanisTheImpotent wanna join? I forgot if you're clicksterz on steam

• Options
                thanks for the invite gents, if I wasn't on a purple emblem grind I'd be with ya

• Options
                @crimsoncoyote Awesome set of games tonight!

• Options
                  Yeah that was really fun. End of the night felt good after we hit our groove and I shook off some rust.

• Options
                  I managed to get up to Plat 2 and had the brief notion of possibly trying to grind up to Diamond by tomorrow night. Then I dropped back down to Plat 1 and realized, eh. Not worth it.

Meanwhile, I'm still just barely hanging on to Gold 1 in doubles.

Steam | Twitch
                • Options
                  carry me to plat @Big Dookie ;-)

Actually finished my placements yesterday with @TimFiji and was placed in silver 2. Soon after (with his help) I made it up to Gold 1! Pretty glad I'm not *entirely* hopeless.

• Options
                  carry me to plat "Big Dookie" ;-)

Actually finished my placements yesterday with TimFiji and was placed in silver 2. Soon after (with his help) I made it up to Gold 1! Pretty glad I'm not *entirely* hopeless.

We rocked it. If you're up for playing again let me know!

• Options
                    carry me to plat @Big Dookie ;-)

Actually finished my placements yesterday with @TimFiji and was placed in silver 2. Soon after (with his help) I made it up to Gold 1! Pretty glad I'm not *entirely* hopeless.

I'll totally party up with you if you get on tonight or tomorrow night. I might be playing another game (currently working through Far Cry Primal), but if you see me online shoot me a message and I'll be glad to jump over.

Steam | Twitch