As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Rocket League]: PA Rocket Society on Friday Nights

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Tommatt wrote: »
    Why is this game not on Xbox one?
    Because Sony dropped a bag of money on them to have it be exclusive on PS+.

• Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    Love the game but I'm not doing paid cosmetic DLC personally. Probably quite a lot of people will though, so hopefully that $$ goes into development.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    I probably won't for chassis, but decals, hats, antennae, or boosters? Yeah, I'm sure there's one I'll come across I want.

Or announcer packs.

• Options
    Just a note about DLC, the devs said all future maps will be free so no silly fragmenting of playerbase *cough*CoD*cough*.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    I am the worst at this game but I can't stop playing it.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Wish I had done this on purpose:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNxd7rRr2Zk

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    I don't think the tutotirals do a good job at explaining how to do things.

They just throw a ball at you and tell you to score, not what the right angle is to hit it or how fast you're suppose to drive. I'm trying the pro tutorials and all my balls either bounce left or right. The Aerials are a complete nightmare since you have no clue when to use jump while boosting.
    A ghost example should be good on how to mimic it and get better at it and it shows how to properly perform the trick. It's like Street Fighter telling you to pull off a 5 move combo without telling you the commands.

D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    It explains things fine. It tells you how to operate your car. The ball part is yours to suss out. Just remember that it is far more beholden to the laws of physics than you are.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    For me watching streams of good and bad players helps give me a better idea of how to make shots and also help with positioning.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    It explains things fine. It tells you how to operate your car. The ball part is yours to suss out. Just remember that it is far more beholden to the laws of physics than you are.

yeah, a ghost would be kind of silly because it's not like there's one right way to hit the ball

if you want more guidance about aerial basics you can watch some videos like this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt59hYakoO4

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I need a mod for this that posts a trollface image into the chat everytime I block a shot while playing dedicated goalie

• Options
    It should just put the trollface image on the ball as it is blocked.

• Options
    edited July 2015

yeah, a ghost would be kind of silly because it's not like there's one right way to hit the ball

if you want more guidance about aerial basics you can watch some videos like this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt59hYakoO4

Cool, thanks!

Also watch me accidentally reverse score a goal and get the "Still Showing Off" Trophy.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbaVwmOu-g8

Ravelle on
    D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    Turned on Kronovi stream to watch him jump way up in air and literally hold ball on nose of his car while pointing straight up all the way from midfield to the goal. I don't even.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    How does one become so godlike in such a small amount of time?

Nevermind he just mentioned he was playing it since 08.

His aerials are unbelievable.

Ravelle on
    D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, him and a bunch of people from the previous game have been playing 6+ years and they were in the alpha and beta of this game.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Just picked this up today.

I had no idea what I was missing. I'm gonna play the crap out of it this weekend.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    I am getting pretty annoyed by everyone trying to hog the ball and crashing in to you and I'm not talking about the opponent's team. When you see that someone has the ball drive free so I can pass it to you or go for the rebound.

D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Ravelle wrote: »
    I am getting pretty annoyed by everyone trying to hog the ball and crashing in to you and I'm not talking about the opponent's team. When you see that someone has the ball drive free so I can pass it to you or go for the rebound.

This "phenomenon" tends to go away as you get matched with higher skilled players (mostly in ranked I think, but I don't know how normal matchmaking works)

• Options
    Yeah, one of the things that sort of brings people out of the lower levels is the realization that you actually have to somewhat trust your teammates can do something. This means if you are the furthest back from teh ball at the start you are defending that first shot or two, and if you are on the side you punt the ball to the middle rather than try to do some crazy thing yourself to score.

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    Yeah, one of the things that sort of brings people out of the lower levels is the realization that you actually have to somewhat trust your teammates can do something.

A difficult realization, to be sure.

• Options
    Oh indeed, and some times it ends terribly for you.

• Options
    So this has definitely been the game everyone is playing in the BYOC at QuakeCon this year. Like every other computer I see is Rocket League.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited July 2015

This "phenomenon" tends to go away as you get matched with higher skilled players (mostly in ranked I think, but I don't know how normal matchmaking works)

I would play ranked if it wasn't broken at the moment, I ended up being alone with one bot against three players last time I que' d up. I wish it would look longer for players instead of dumping in bots if it took too long to find players. That and players are not penalized for leaving a match, so you're pretty much boned when they do. Play awful lag at times.

Ravelle on
    D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    So Rocket League has said that over 4M people have downloaded the game. Steamspy suggests that about 350k PC sales so far. That is a lot of PS+ subscribers / buys, didn't know PS+ was that popular.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I got into a ranked match where it had only found three players and couldn't find anyone else, so it ended up being me against two other guys.

I lost.

2-1.

In overtime.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    So I was in the clear, going my way with the ball dribbling toward the goal and just when I was about to punt, my team mate rammed me off my track. Some people.

D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    Hah, yeah, many people's instinct is to just rush toward the ball, regardless of where it is on the field or who currently is controlling it. I know that's how I was when I first started. It's not unlike the way a 6-year-old pee-wee soccer team would play.

I'm slowly breaking myself of that though and learning how to actually play as a teammate. Random matches are still pretty hit or miss, but that occasional match where you're all working together and playing as a team... its like magic.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's fun, if often frustrating, to play online solo and constantly have to try and read your teammates' minds (and skill levels).

I've only had one evening so far when I was playing on ventrilo with a team and I could see how playing regularly with a group would be amazing.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    3v3 ranked is infuriating

so many terrible teamates

Steam ID
  • Options
    and there's like a 80% chance somebody leaves right off the bat

Steam ID
  • Options
    They're going to put in penalties for quitting matches early.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Gave the game a try with Mav and DocShifty and this is just not for me. I can't tell where my car is because 3rd person driving games are coded out of the RNA sequence for Ebola and I've never been able to play them due to me not having any sense of presence in them making judging angles/distance/speed impossible for me. It doesn't help that the camera frequently takes your car out of your line of sight in ball tracking mode but then the locked mode makes it so that if the ball is above you then glhf telling where it's at. There's the thumbstick view but then you can't use jump or boost if you're using that.

It'd be neat if I could rig up my Track IR to control the thumbstick camera. I might be able to get shit done then.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    I agree with the camera, even when you're in unlocked mode the ball disappears from your vision if it's above you or left or right, there's no indication where the ball ended up. The elastic camera is also silly, just let me survey the whole field instead of only a small angle.

D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

Dear lord I hope so. There's nothing quite so infuriating as zooming towards a good shot only to have a team mate smash the ball off to the side for no reason other than BALLLLLLLLLLLLL!

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I agree with the camera, even when you're in unlocked mode the ball disappears from your vision if it's above you or left or right, there's no indication where the ball ended up. The elastic camera is also silly, just let me survey the whole field instead of only a small angle.

I'm pretty sure there's a way to change that in the options, but I would have to look.

Also there's a camera distance option that should help keep your car in view if the ball is high in the air. Might not help as much of the ball is directly above you, but you could use forward/reverse to get your orientation.

Basically, I strongly recommend playing with camera settings and finding what works for you. You can find plenty of suggestions out there.

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    I was watching Kronovi slaughter the innocents in 1v1 last night and he was constantly switching camera views plus using the right stick to look side to side and behind. I've been trying to switch camera views more often, but unfortunately the fixed view makes me super motion sick. So what I've been doing is if it isn't critical to get control of the ball I just back off into defensive position until I can get a better view and move back in. I set my FoV to 100 and pulled the camera back just a little bit when game first came out, but you want to be careful with adjustments as it will really throw your depth perception off.

• Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    If anyone is on, and wants to play some rocket league, I've got a party open

PSN: the-K-flash