As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Rocket League]: PA Rocket Society on Friday Nights

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    facetious wrote: »
    After having played some placement matches in competitive solo (which I didn't even realize was a thing until last night), I can promise you there are still many terrible players.

And I am one of them. I’m having a hard time getting back to it on the Switch. My skills have eroded badly and I’m fighting the controls much more than I think I realize. I think playing in handheld mode affects that, too.

Just gotta play more.

Also competitive 1v1 is some of he best rocket leaguing I’ve had. Games can get incredibly tense and also hilarious. It helped my game immensely, too. It forces you to be much more careful since any mistake can be deadly, and you see other players making the same kinds of mistakes that you learn to avoid.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    For the record I wasn't judging about skill or abilities, being good or bad at a game doesn't really matter at all. And I'm not really good myself.

I was mostly confused because I had queued in both normal competitive and solo competitive, and the first game I had in the latter (again, my first placement match), without realizing which match type I'd been put into, was very bewildering. I was like, "What are they doing?" It was chaotic, haha.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    No problem.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Yeah, solo standard is weird. Often times you’ll get placed with people that seem to have no business being at their current rank. Every once in while though, the stars will align and you’ll get those teammates who are perfectly in sync with you, rotate correctly, and never ball-chase. It’s a beautiful thing when it happens.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Cathode Ray TubeCathode Ray Tube Registered User regular
    Also if you're looking for games on PC we set up a RL discord channel a while back for that purpose.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Went back to PC for a bit to see if I was really as bad as I seem to be on the Switch. My skills have eroded. It it wasn’t nearly as bad, so I still have some work to do with the switch controls. Three things I’m finding are causing issues:

1. Lack of analog throttle is making me go way to fast a lot.
    2. I have air roll set to L3 (stick press) but that didn’t seem to work as well for me on the Switch, partly because
    3. The stick behaves a lot differently and my turning isn’t nearly as precise.

Just need practice on it, I think.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Couple of clips. The first one was a random teammate who set me up beautifully (and for once I actually made a good aerial shot), the second was .. rather lucky but also what I was actively going for, even if I can't claim my skill was fully to thank. And also a rare attempt at an "air dribble" (big quotes on that) where I even touched the ball at all after my first contact.

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/IgnorantSlightGerbil

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/DelectableSomeHarpseal

facetious on
    Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    dalitubadalituba Registered User regular
    All DLC is half off today (this weekend?). For those of you looking to round out your collection.

Picked up the batmobile just so I can finally have a goal explosion.

• Options
    BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    Probably a dumb question, I couldn't get that explosion working with any other car, is it only usable with the batmobile?

• Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    BladeX wrote: »
    Probably a dumb question, I couldn't get that explosion working with any other car, is it only usable with the batmobile?

Yup, batmobile exclusive.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I managed an actual air dribble finally. Didn't score or anything, but it did help get the defense out of position to block me and my team collected the rebound and scored shortly afterward. And then the next game I finally made it to plat 3 in standard, after hovering right on the cusp and fighting for it the last two days.

Real strong, facetious.

• Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    the air dribble assist into goomba stomp?

https://gfycat.com/TestyLittleBlackandtancoonhound

NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER SURRENDER

https://gfycat.com/UglyBraveDarwinsfox

• Options
    qPkhLyw.png

after many hard hours, many trials, many tribulations WE DID IT BOYS

• Options
    Doesn't really count until you get that reward yo. :biggrin:

But seriously, congrats!

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    I've been playing a lot on the Switch the last couple of weeks, getting more used to the framerate hitches and controlling with joy-con. It's absolutely an inferior version of the game, and under most circumstances I wouldn't bother with it. But the portability of it just far overshadows all of the other negatives. Instead of hiding myself away in the study to play a few rounds, I can now sit in the chair next to my wife while we're watching a show or a Rockets game and have an actual conversation with her while I'm playing. It's just hard to top that.

I'm still trying to get in time on the PC when I can, but man... all I can think is that this is the future.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I've been playing a lot on the Switch the last couple of weeks, getting more used to the framerate hitches and controlling with joy-con. It's absolutely an inferior version of the game, and under most circumstances I wouldn't bother with it. But the portability of it just far overshadows all of the other negatives. Instead of hiding myself away in the study to play a few rounds, I can now sit in the chair next to my wife while we're watching a show or a Rockets game and have an actual conversation with her while I'm playing. It's just hard to top that.

I'm still trying to get in time on the PC when I can, but man... all I can think is that this is the future.

I love just sitting on the couch to Rocket. I don't mind the lesser quality and Psy seem sincere about optimizing in the next patch

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      shudder

could never give up my 144 fps

• Options
      also tiny update: 5 wins into Champ rewards tier, Div II

dare I dream for Champ 2???

• Options
      shudder

could never give up my 144 fps

You'd be amazed how many fps you're willing to give up when you can play Rocket League on the shitter.

Steam | Twitch
    • Options
      edited November 2017
      given that fps has a direct performance impact and i am a tryhard

the answer is 0 ;)

Super Namicchi on
    • Options
      edited November 2017
      I'm an old man who likes everything. Good graphics and fun?! Yay! Bad graphics and fun? Yay! Joining ranked matches with an AFK teammate? Boo.

TimFiji on
      • Options
        @Big Dookie not sure if you're happy with the size of your ball but looks like you can now upgrade it for a limited time. Who doesn't want bigger balls?! :mrgreen:https://www.jinx.com/p/rocket_league_oversized_stress_ball.html

camo_sig2.png
      • Options
      • Options
        also ggs @dalituba !

• Options
        Lets go boys, get'em while they're hot!

camo_sig2.png
      • Options
        CHRISTMAS CRATES!!!

• Options
        also for all of you who doubted

0wmpu2J.png

LET'S GOOOOO

• Options
        This season was the first time I got platinum reward. Well today we went on a spree and I got to diamond for the first AND won 15 in a row so got diamond reward and some!

• Options
          crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
          carry me @TimFiji ;-)

• Options
          carry me @TimFiji ;-)

Haha still consider it a fluke so don't think it would work!

• Options
            running into a wall in my progression. it's fast approaching a point where i may need to dig deeper and schedule practice sessions if i want to break into grand champ

• Options
            Played a couple good games with Archpriest (timfiji I believe). PA Rocket League isn’t dead yet!

Psyonix also re-confirmed this week that cross platform parties are a 2018 goal, so maybe I’ll see Dookie again someday ;)

• Options
            New season next month should mix things up again. I still play almost every day but it's been mostly private matches and unranked with friends.

camo_sig2.png
          • Options
            dalituba wrote: »
            Played a couple good games with Archpriest (timfiji I believe). PA Rocket League isn’t dead yet!

Psyonix also re-confirmed this week that cross platform parties are a 2018 goal, so maybe I’ll see Dookie again someday ;)

4-0! Good run. And sorry @crimsoncoyote about not responding!

• Options
              TimFiji wrote: »

4-0! Good run. And sorry crimsoncoyote about not responding!

No worries at all! Managed to do a few other things I wanted to do tonight anyway.

• Options

Haha, I'm still here! I have been playing more on Switch lately, just because it's so convenient, but the more pressing issue is that I got an Oculus Rift for Christmas and have been lost in VR world ever since.

But I always come back to Rocket League. You'll see me again soon!

Steam | Twitch
            • Options
              Just play RL in VR theater mode. Two birds with one headset.

• Options
              How I imagine playing Rocket League in a true VR mode would be like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAojxWZRVKk

camo_sig2.png
            • Options
              edited January 2018
              Managed to get some games in tonight with a buddy. Managed to get myself back up to plat (was at 6/10 placements due to inactivity) and end the night on a 3-win streak with some awesome games!

Now I just need my 12 wins.

crimsoncoyote on
            • Options
              BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
              Big Dookie wrote: »

Haha, I'm still here! I have been playing more on Switch lately, just because it's so convenient, but the more pressing issue is that I got an Oculus Rift for Christmas and have been lost in VR world ever since.

But I always come back to Rocket League. You'll see me again soon!

Would you say you've been... Switching things up? I'll be here all week folks.