As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The newer action figures (and other toys) thread (NSF56k)

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    @Delzhand I was thinking that as I was posting and just literally forgot to include it. Has sky shadow had any other notable appearances? I can't see a reason to get him

@143999 yeah that's pretty accurate. Although I do need to actually read that spotlight. Read the tfwiki synopsis a while ago and bought the comic itself just haven't had time.

I wonder how long until shape ways or something produces another head. The rest of the body seems OK and will assuredly have more articulation than the original...right?

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Forgot to post the brief video review of the SOC Golion protoype

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gzQnnASAG4

Wish he had gone over the combined form's articulation

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »
    I wish I could read japanese. The notes on the sketches might offer more info on how articulated the knees are for SOC Daizyujin.

http://tamashii.jp/special/daizyujin/en/index.html

Like, I'm still going to (try to) buy it, but it'd really suck if it couldn't bend its knees

Got one!

Pre-orders live!

EDIT: Wow this is still up for pre-order for 2 hours now. Usually these figures sell out within the first 10 minutes. Hope this isn't going to be a similar situation to when the DX Chogokin VF-31J pre-orders went live and certain sites had errors not showing went it's pre-sold out.

For those interested, Amiami and HLJ are both still taking orders.

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIGURE-023215

I went with HLJ so I can continue to group two months of orders. However, if you don't want to deal with Paypal's shitty exchange rate, use somewhere like Amiami.

Ok, so looking at the photos from the official site I think the thighs and connectors to the legs is from the Tyrannosaurus' legs.

Here is my reasons for thinking this. If you look at this image you can barely see Tyrannosaurus' feet behind the two "leg" units.
    sec09_thum02.png

Also if you look here, you can see his feet again.
    sec09_thum04.png

Looking at the transformation from tank to robot mode it looks like you'll have a bit of bend in the knees, at least in one direction.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    That seems likely, but I'd like to see a pic from the back so I can see if there's room to bend the knees back far enough to do poses other than standing straight

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Yes

F6HjvaL.png

I want these.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Netflix Voltron toy combined

9LcJUwr.jpg?1

Individual lions can be seen in this link

http://nerdist.com/playmates-voltron-legendary-defender-toy-line-helps-you-protect-the-universe-exclusive/?gallery=445850#gallery

I think the individual lions look good, but combined form looks a little off. I think the arms should be smaller or the legs bigger. Also really like how the legs are hidden in combined form.

Also, here's some pics of the SOC Voltron/Golion from NYCC. Really glad I'm getting this.

http://news.toyark.com/2016/10/06/nycc-2016-bandai-display-bluefin-booth-225135

7s5vOHc.jpg?1

EDIT: In transformer news, here's a video of how MP Inferno's ladder folds up into the torso. Be sure to enlarge the video because it seems to be tiny by default.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=794970413978875&id=759481397527777

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    Schide wrote: »
    Yes

F6HjvaL.png

I want these.

I didn't like them at first but we will see. Are they supposed to be a mass retail thing?

• Options
    Heatwave wrote: »
    Netflix Voltron toy combined

9LcJUwr.jpg?1

Individual lions can be seen in this link

http://nerdist.com/playmates-voltron-legendary-defender-toy-line-helps-you-protect-the-universe-exclusive/?gallery=445850#gallery

I think the individual lions look good, but combined form looks a little off. I think the arms should be smaller or the legs bigger. Also really like how the legs are hidden in combined form.

Also, here's some pics of the SOC Voltron/Golion from NYCC. Really glad I'm getting this.

http://news.toyark.com/2016/10/06/nycc-2016-bandai-display-bluefin-booth-225135

7s5vOHc.jpg?1

EDIT: In transformer news, here's a video of how MP Inferno's ladder folds up into the torso. Be sure to enlarge the video because it seems to be tiny by default.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=794970413978875&id=759481397527777

I watched a few episodes of the Netflix Voltron and couldn't get over how weird it looks (the robots and people) so ended up stopping. I'm sure the story is good, just couldn't get over the design. I do have to agree that the legs being hidden is a nice touch.

Wow, yeah that SoC Voltron looks really, REALLY good. After that video you posted earlier I was a bit worried it looks pretty bad at being able to be posed. Now I'm guessing because of all the metal it really doesn't allow itself to be posed easily (which I won't mind since I just want a toy Voltron).

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Yes

I want these.

I didn't like them at first but we will see. Are they supposed to be a mass retail thing?

Walmart exclusives

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I hope this means they're making a SOC Dragonzord also

It would be pretty disappointing if they don't

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Betsuni wrote: »
    I watched a few episodes of the Netflix Voltron and couldn't get over how weird it looks (the robots and people) so ended up stopping. I'm sure the story is good, just couldn't get over the design. I do have to agree that the legs being hidden is a nice touch.

Wow, yeah that SoC Voltron looks really, REALLY good. After that video you posted earlier I was a bit worried it looks pretty bad at being able to be posed. Now I'm guessing because of all the metal it really doesn't allow itself to be posed easily (which I won't mind since I just want a toy Voltron).
    The Netflix show is pretty fun, but ends on a massive cliffhanger. The character art and facial animations are very similar to Legend of Korra, which can either be a plus or a minus depending on if you like that show. I appreciate that they tried to make Voltron look new and give it (in the show) a boetter proportioned body.

I think SOC Voltron is going to be pretty poseable. You can see thigh swivels and movement in the waist looks possible (slight ab crunch maybe?). Also unlike Daizyujin we've already seen knee articulation, although it doesn't look like it has a full 90 degree bend, which sucks.

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    Ah interesting. Sorry, never watched Korra so that doesn't help me any. Glad to hear they did do a decent job at reviving Voltron after the previous versions seemed to fall off after a few episodes.

I have not bought a SoC since they made one from my favorite show Battle Fever J so this is going to be interesting to me. All your information is making me impatient to see it in person.

On another note. Saw on Seiberton that they think that the Wave 2 / Wave 3 of the Titan Returns are late/missing since Hasbro is saying they are out of stock. Makes me wonder of those ships that were (are still?) stuck out in the Pacific impacted the deliveries.

I went on a toy run today and snagged some of the new Rogue One 3.75 figures to add to my wall of SW figs. Still miffed that I never managed to get some of the last wave of TFA figures since I really wanted the newer Rey. Also noticed I did not seen any Wave 2 Headmasters while I was out. Lots of Wave 1 and some of the smaller Wave 2 units though.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    Yes

I want these.

Walmart exclusives

Not to judge wrestling fans or Walmart patrons or anything, but yep, sounds about right.

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    K-Mart would have made the most sense, actually.

• Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    All the K-Marts around here died, including the one remaining one that corporate said would stay open come hell or high water.

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    Oh man, Amazon.co.jp now ships worldwide.

That's...potentially a very good thing.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Oh really? That seems pretty cool. And you can set the language to english!

This could be really useful :)

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    Can I just use my amazon.com account?

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    No, you need to create a new Amazon Japan account.

Looks like if you're just buying new Transformers or whatever in some cases it's cheaper than sites like HLJ but in some cases shipping is more. Depends on what you're ordering. The best thing about it would be the clearance deals and other things and potential exclusives which seem to crop up every so often. Although now that a lot of people know about it they'll be harder to actually get.

Still worth a look to anyone who imports stuff.

• Options
    can't decide if i want to buy some of these loose titans return figures off ebay. specifically chromedome since i cannot find anything after i found weirdwolf. well that isn't true, i've seen some laserbeaks and a single rumble but i don't want to shell out $10.99 + tax for a legend

my concern is it will be a knock off or missing parts or something. i guess i could always return it...i dunno...

• Options
    can't decide if i want to buy some of these loose titans return figures off ebay. specifically chromedome since i cannot find anything after i found weirdwolf. well that isn't true, i've seen some laserbeaks and a single rumble but i don't want to shell out $10.99 + tax for a legend

my concern is it will be a knock off or missing parts or something. i guess i could always return it...i dunno...

Make sure you read the description carefully. Because if it is a knock off or missing parts and the photos or description does not mention this you are protected. Ebay values its buyers over sellers so you are safe.

Yeah I'm pretty ticked off that I have not seen any of the wave 2 headmasters at all. Makes me regret not hitting up my Walgreens now. All I see are Laserbeaks, Rumbles, and Ravages in the stores. Oh and a bunch of Galvatrons and Sentinels.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    i've been checking the local walgreens pretty regularly, but the same highbrow is sitting lonely on the peg.

• Options
    Damn it, I'm really friggin tempted to add the upcoming SOC Mazinger to my pre-orders, but I'm already strapped for cash.

Like, there's no real reason for me to even get it considering I own three different SRC Mazingers, and they all have better articulation.

The only positive of the SOC is it's bigger.

Must. Stay. Strong.

*eats bowl of packet noodles*

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I have an older SOC Mazinger Z, I think GX45

I just love how solid and heavy it feels, even though heavier can make posing harder sometimes

SRCs just don't feel right to me. When it comes to a figure of a giant robot I want something solid and heavier and with some metal for it to feel appropriate

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    i've been checking the local walgreens pretty regularly, but the same highbrow is sitting lonely on the peg.

I gave in this weekend since Brainstorm is rumored to be shipping from the warehouses. Snagged a Highbrow and Weirdwolf at my local Walgreens but no Brainstorm to be found yet.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    I may just order chromosome and brainstorm online the next time I see them reasonable. I dont know how the restocks here are working and since I have seen the same figured sitting in the same places unmoved for weeks at a time probably will not see new stock anytime soon

• Options
    Yeah I have no idea what is going on regarding store stocks. At first I thought it was a cargo shipping issue since the Wave 2s seemed to be delayed in store. But all the web stores seemed to have no problem keeping stock. Hasbro themselves though has not put them up yet which did confirm my original thought. Then Walgreens has had their Wave 2s for a bit but no Brainstorm as of yet. What sucks for me is that I just got back into getting addicted to collecting TF toys in person again and this happens making me want to just order online and be done with all of it.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Yeah I have no idea what is going on regarding store stocks. At first I thought it was a cargo shipping issue since the Wave 2s seemed to be delayed in store. But all the web stores seemed to have no problem keeping stock. Hasbro themselves though has not put them up yet which did confirm my original thought. Then Walgreens has had their Wave 2s for a bit but no Brainstorm as of yet. What sucks for me is that I just got back into getting addicted to collecting TF toys in person again and this happens making me want to just order online and be done with all of it.

i am with you on that. i liked being able to walk into a TRU or walmart, kmart, whatever and see the new shiny. its a hassle though, and while not huge the cost in time and gas is not entirely negligible. i don't really want to have a giant pile of loot sitting at bbts, but shipping everything 1 by 1 seems impractical. i'd rather be able to on my lunch break swing by whatever and pick something up and then have some time to mess around with it instead of a huge pile of stuff and then it feels like i can't really put anything through its paces since i "need" to put some time into everything.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    I forgot if someone here was looking for Computron on sale or not. Amazon has it for 20% off as of my post.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B011MIX0CI/

Edit: $79.98.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I forgot if someone here was looking for Computron on sale or not. Amazon has it for 20% off as of my post.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B011MIX0CI/

Edit: $79.98.

Sigh, of course it is now.

• Options
    I learned something today, the little battle beasts from when I was a kid originated from a transformers cartoon. Been wanting to try and collect them but $5 a piece is steep for something that you'd want armies of

Unrelated, I was thinking about the upcoming broadside. Wonder why he has never been reenvisioned as essentially thr helicarrier from the avengers.

• Options
    Because that would be too good.

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    Business trips out of state are great opportunities to see how Hasbro's dismal distribution really affects us all.

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    It's why I mainly buy Takara products online.

I just can't rely on retail stores in Australia to stock Hasbro transformers anymore. It's gotten to the point where the Takara version ends up being released around the same time, or even earlier, than when the Hasbro version appears in stores.

But I haven't been buying from the main lines for a while now, so it don't affect me that much anymore.

Anyway, I paid for my Figma Miyo Asato so that's one less order to worry about for the year. I'll be grouping it with MP Optimus Primal and Inferno to save some money.

Speaking of shipping, I still hate the EMS price increase that's occurred this year. You'd think I'd have gotten over it by now, but it still hurts every time I do the math. Doesn't help that I still have rely on Paypal's conversion rate because I do most of my shopping at HLJ.

Maybe I should start buying from Premiumcollectibles. They're Australian and have free shipping on orders over $100. They don't seem to sell figmas though, and I'm not sure if they let you group two months of orders like HLJ. Yeah they only ship items within the same month. Also have to pay them $10 if you're not there for the delivery.

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    Man, yeah you Australians really get it in the shorts for shipping and buying stuff. Hawaiians also get screwed almost as badly as you guys just because of the isolated location and it is part of the USA so some of the stuff goes to the mainland first then back out to sea.

So on another news, someone showed that they found a Victorian for $26 at Target on clearance. Also Brainstorms are starting to pop up in Walgreens in California at least. I went over to visit my closest one last night and their peg was empty (since I wiped out their two Wave 2s last weekend) and noticed that their price went down to $17.99 as well. I'm hoping to snag one in store since I want to get all the "original" headmasters.

I just got an e-mail from BBTS saying that my Thrust is in processing since I ended up deciding I can live with the ugly nosecone kibble.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Aha, waiting all this time before getting TR deluxes paid off! Got the first wave for $10 each today at Wal Mart. The rollback was in effect at both Walmarts I went to today.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    I can't do it. I can't pull the trigger and order the upcoming SOC Mazinger. I'm too strapped for cash at the moment to order something for January.

Speaking of triggers

http://news.tfw2005.com/2016/10/21/masterpiece-megatron-v2-0-new-updated-full-color-images-326633

itoqkvs.png?1

I am not looking forward to attempting to buy this. Gun laws in the state of Victoria, Australia are really strict, and I might have to pay a few hundred every few years just to keep it. Apparently you can ask for an exception by providing proof as a toy hobbist, but there's no a guarantee your request will be granted.

If it were possible, I'd even settle for one with an orange cap glued on the barrel, but I think that's still not allowed.

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    i'll be honest. i love G1, but almost every subsequent iteration of megatron (even re-envisioned G1 versions like the comics and prime) i feel is superior

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Fuck! as I was putting together my new shelving unit, my S.h.figuarts riot Storm Trooper fell again and one of the black nubs on the shield went missing. If I could find it I could glue it back on again, but it looks like it's lost forever. I don't know whether it attached to the sole of someones shoe and left the house or if it's simply in my room somewhere, but I've looked for a few hours now and have given up ever finding it.

If Takara were to make a masterpiece based on recent IDW Megatron design I'd pick that over the g1 in a heartbeat. Sadly, this looks to be the best version of Megatron available and goes well with MP10 Optimus. So I'll have to try to figure out a way to obtain him

EDIT: This broken shield is bugging me a lot. I need a reason to justify leaving it as it is and NOT spending a minimum $100AUD on a new figure to replace it. Maybe I should just remove the shield and store it with the rest of its accessories. That way I won't have to look at the flaw every time I see the figure.

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    i think my favorite megatron is prime megatron from an aesthetics perspective, but the lost light era megatron is a pretty close second. in some of the podcasts i listen to they were discussing nostalgia in general and whether we will ever see say dedicated beast wars stuff (more so than just the primal that is coming), the movie stuff is currently getting rereleased. i'd love to see the prime designs get revisited but i doubt they will.

This discussion has been closed.