As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The newer action figures (and other toys) thread (NSF56k)

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Betsuni wrote: »
    I had so many odd Japanes figure and robots growing up, but never heard of this one. I love the articulation on it though. Does the shell transform as well?

I'm pretty sure it splits apart into three vehicles.
    Some kind of drill tank (you can see the drills forming the upper legs in robot mode and shoulders when combined) and a jet judging by the kibble on the chest/pelvis. I think the third vehicle was another tank, but could be wrong on that one.

yeah it was two tanks and a jet.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Yeah it was 3 vehicles (jet and two tank things), just didn't want to find pics for them.

It really was a neat set. I only had this version of Servo and the Synchro set. Didn't get Drago though (the big red dragon set).

The Servo figure had really good articulation that mostly carried over when combined with Synchro.

Also, I haven't opened up my Valk yet because I'm busy at the moment. I'll probably open it up tomorrow. Hopefully.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I still own them all and they're still awesome

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Potato quality pics are here!

DGIxV03.jpg?1
    eGnBjQr.jpg?1
    IGJi5wS.jpg?1

This figure is pretty fiddly to be honest.

The online videos make it look easy but I had a really hard time trying to tab everything into place for Battroid mode, because the torso and back kept coming undone when I moved my hands to other areas
    0mp7DJn.jpg?1

But once it's all tabs it feels pretty secure. Just got to make sure the back is tabbed in properly. Glad it doesn't need an addition piece for locking everything together like what older valks apparently had.

But all this griping is useless. What's important is that the DX Chogokin VF-31J is a cool looking figure in all it's modes, with decent poseabilty and an interesting transformation.

H3uxNXD.jpg?1

It comes with 3 stand adapters that slid onto the stand. One for fighter mode, one for battroid mode and I assume the other is for gerwalk mode, but I haven't tried it yet. It also comes with tiny little figures of Hayate and Freyja from the series Macross Delta, although since Freyja is wearing a helmet she might as well be the Meta from Red Vs Blue.

9UMwbH5.png.

It also comes with two drones, one compact and the other expanded. Neither can be stored in the Valk. Six additional pairs of hands are also included, some of which can be used to hold the detachable rifle on the Valk's back, or the pair of battle knives that can fold open or close. Haven't checked if these can store anywhere I think they can store in the arms.

So does this figure make me excited the upcoming Macross Delta DX Chogokins? Not really, but I'm still going to get Keith's Draken because it looks cool, and also Mirage's VF-31C because not only does it also look cool, but because Haya/Mira was my ship damn it! :lol:

E: Checked the manual. Yeah the knives do store in the arms, and the other adapter is for gerwalk mode

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Wow, they really did a great job of making it look show accurate AND transform. I'm trying to jog my memory, but I think these toys were designed by Kawamori himself right? Or was that just the original Transformer MP line?

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I wanted the Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad toys so bad when I was a kid. Never happened. So, a couple of years ago I thought "Wait, the Internet can solve every problem", and sure enough, folks were selling them on eBay. I managed to get Servo and Xenon, both MIB (I'm... kinda germaphoby, so I'm not really interested in used toys).

Still haven't found that MIB Drago, though...

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Wow, they really did a great job of making it look show accurate AND transform. I'm trying to jog my memory, but I think these toys were designed by Kawamori himself right? Or was that just the original Transformer MP line?
    Not sure if Kawamori designed any Transformers, but I'm pretty sure he design the Macross valks in the show

E: Also regarding SOC Golion/Voltron, there are sliding tabs on the top of the shoulders on the torso, that lock the black lions arms into place. These things are a pain to push in all the way and require a lot of force. I felt like my finger nails were going to snap off while I was doing it.

Still a very awesome figure though, and I highly recommend it if you can.

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    Heatwave wrote: »
    Not sure if Kawamori designed any Transformers, but I'm pretty sure he design the Macross valks in the show

E: Also regarding SOC Golion/Voltron, there are sliding tabs on the top of the shoulders on the torso, that lock the black lions arms into place. These things are a pain to push in all the way and require a lot of force. I felt like my finger nails were going to snap off while I was doing it.

I meant he designed the first few Masterpiece Transformer toys so wondered if had a hand in these.

Man, my Go Lion/Voltron has not shipped yet. Did you order yours from HLJ?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options

I meant he designed the first few Masterpiece Transformer toys so wondered if had a hand in these.

Oh he did? That's cool!

Yeah I ordered from HLJ. It came super quick. Mine was from the second batch or orders, hence why I couldn't get it shipped before they went on holidays. Maybe yours was from a later batch? Or did you only have it shipped this week?

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options

Oh he did? That's cool!

Yeah I ordered from HLJ. It came super quick. Mine was from the second batch or orders, hence why I couldn't get it shipped before they went on holidays. Maybe yours was from a later batch? Or did you only have it shipped this week?

I was dumb and got it from another site since HLJ was sold out when I went there. Didn't go back and see that they had a later batch and I recall buying this out of anger (I bought it to spite my wife, luckily she was ok with it).

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options

Oh he did? That's cool!

I was dumb and got it from another site since HLJ was sold out when I went there. Didn't go back and see that they had a later batch and I recall buying this out of anger (I bought it to spite my wife, luckily she was ok with it).
    If it was a non Japanese based site, they might have only received it this week. Otherwise I'd maybe email them to see what's happening.

Speaking of shipping, my various anime dvds suddenly arrived this week as well, but the company didn't even send a shipping notice to let me know they left the warehouse. You'd think the official company manufacturing locally these would inform their customers like any other store. It would have suuuucked if I had to go to the post office again. I think I might have to sign up for Uber because taxis are expensive as heck.

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    Oh I got my email saying that they expect to get it soon but just bummed I didn't buy it from HLJ. Just being impatient since you said you got yours and this is one figure I really am excited to get.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Well it'll be worth the wait when you do get it.

Just make sure someone's home when it arrives :lol:

E: It's also really sturdy, but I'd suggest taking off the red and green lion's tails when combining them, as apparently they can fall off inside and get stuck. I haven't risked trying, so I can't confirm, but I imagine it would happen if the shoulder's are not tabbed in.

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Caved and ordered Fans-hobby Archenemy from their website. Was forced to use Paypal and their shitty currency conversion.

Why must I be so weak

At least there's been some good feedback of the figure. One person on TFW though had something break, but the company sent a replacement, so that's cool I guess.

E: Also are you guys aware Takara are release a toy coloured variant of MP Optimus Primal

tXTv94F.jpg?1

http://hlj.com/product/TKT87752

It lacks most of the faces from the show coloured version released late last year, but has a mace/flail, a joined version of his swords, and a mutant mask.

7j5N0E1.jpg

I guess this was made for those with nostalgia for the 90s toy, but personally I think the one from last year is already perfect, and the loss of some of the faces makes and paint details make this new variant seem kind of cheap.

EDIT 2: Update on SOC Voltron

You can get a full 90 degree elbow bend by using the secret double joint hidden in the forearms. You just have to pull the forearms out to expose the joint. Just make sure you have the elbow rotated the correct way or you'll miss it like I did :razz:

sPRKCp7.jpg?1
    kWS7ftb.jpg?1
    zFtGb54.jpg?1

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    I was going to write up some thoughts on all the figures I've opened since Christmas, but I never got around to it, so I'll just very briefly recap:

Titans Return figures: Astrotrain and Alpha Trion are pretty decent, Alpha Trion's not the best but Astrotrain is fun. I've always liked the Headmaster gimmick so I like all of these. The stickers I got spruce them up a fair bit and I'll probably have to get the wave 1 set too, even though they're like twice as much on Ebay since I can't find them anywhere else. I got my first Titan Masters yesterday too, and now I guess I'm just gonna have to get all of them...

Fort Max is pretty nice, about what I expected. Although somehow the alt modes feel even less thought out than the G1 version which is...I suppose a byproduct of it being a remold of Metroplex. Oh well, not like I'm going to display him in city mode very often.

The Perfect Effect sword I got for him would be really nice since it has die cast in the bottom part, except the top sword part doesn't want to stay in very well so it's likely to fall out if moved a bit. Disappointing.

Rioter Despotron: Wow, Maketoys really knocked this out of the park. A really nice looking figure with great articulation, size and a future gun mode that manages to have a solid transformation and not look like total junk. Basically made me order Striker Manus and other guy Manus as well.

KFC Simba: Ok KFC must have used a different designer for this because this is way better than any other KFC product I've seen. It feels like a real MP figure and is incredibly good on its own even without the Victory Saber combination which works very well in and of itself. The only problem is that Star Saber's knee and elbow joints are too weak to hold the backpack and gun very well, but that's not KFC's fault. The combined mode looks darn close to perfect. At least I already had the KFC hands for Star Saber.

Pandinus: Just a really great big figure which has very solid alt modes for a figure this size. Stands really well and feels very solid in every mode. Just a big ol bruiser.

Carnifex: Incredible figure, easily my best of 16 even though the others were still very excellent. Amazing feel, incredible articulation for the size, superb head sculpts, mostly non-frustrating transformation except for the shoulder pads. Just amazing all around, well done MMC.

Speaking of, I got one of the late preorders for Kultur the other week from PSX and it shipped this weekend. No idea when it's actually going to get here but I'm glad I got it. Looks like a second run is opening soon, so that's good too. From early reviews the figure also looks amazing.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Carnifex is so good

I'm sad I missed out on Spartan

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Caved and ordered Fans-hobby Archenemy from their website. Was forced to use Paypal and their shitty currency conversion.

Why must I be so weak

At least there's been some good feedback of the figure. One person on TFW though had something break, but the company sent a replacement, so that's cool I guess.

E: Also are you guys aware Takara are release a toy coloured variant of MP Optimus Primal

http://hlj.com/product/TKT87752

It lacks most of the faces from the show coloured version released late last year, but has a mace/flail, a joined version of his swords, and a mutant mask.

I guess this was made for those with nostalgia for the 90s toy, but personally I think the one from last year is already perfect, and the loss of some of the faces makes and paint details make this new variant seem kind of cheap.

EDIT 2: Update on SOC Voltron

You can get a full 90 degree elbow bend by using the secret double joint hidden in the forearms. You just have to pull the forearms out to expose the joint. Just make sure you have the elbow rotated the correct way or you'll miss it like I did :razz:

I finally got the email saying mine shipped. Can't wait to see it and touch it. This has to be my ultimate childhood wishlist item since I missed out on a Voltron twice growing up (and twice while an adult).
    Schide wrote: »
    I was going to write up some thoughts on all the figures I've opened since Christmas, but I never got around to it, so I'll just very briefly recap:

Titans Return figures: Astrotrain and Alpha Trion are pretty decent, Alpha Trion's not the best but Astrotrain is fun. I've always liked the Headmaster gimmick so I like all of these. The stickers I got spruce them up a fair bit and I'll probably have to get the wave 1 set too, even though they're like twice as much on Ebay since I can't find them anywhere else. I got my first Titan Masters yesterday too, and now I guess I'm just gonna have to get all of them...

Fort Max is pretty nice, about what I expected. Although somehow the alt modes feel even less thought out than the G1 version which is...I suppose a byproduct of it being a remold of Metroplex. Oh well, not like I'm going to display him in city mode very often.

The Perfect Effect sword I got for him would be really nice since it has die cast in the bottom part, except the top sword part doesn't want to stay in very well so it's likely to fall out if moved a bit. Disappointing.

Rioter Despotron: Wow, Maketoys really knocked this out of the park. A really nice looking figure with great articulation, size and a future gun mode that manages to have a solid transformation and not look like total junk. Basically made me order Striker Manus and other guy Manus as well.

KFC Simba: Ok KFC must have used a different designer for this because this is way better than any other KFC product I've seen. It feels like a real MP figure and is incredibly good on its own even without the Victory Saber combination which works very well in and of itself. The only problem is that Star Saber's knee and elbow joints are too weak to hold the backpack and gun very well, but that's not KFC's fault. The combined mode looks darn close to perfect. At least I already had the KFC hands for Star Saber.

Pandinus: Just a really great big figure which has very solid alt modes for a figure this size. Stands really well and feels very solid in every mode. Just a big ol bruiser.

Carnifex: Incredible figure, easily my best of 16 even though the others were still very excellent. Amazing feel, incredible articulation for the size, superb head sculpts, mostly non-frustrating transformation except for the shoulder pads. Just amazing all around, well done MMC.

Speaking of, I got one of the late preorders for Kultur the other week from PSX and it shipped this weekend. No idea when it's actually going to get here but I'm glad I got it. Looks like a second run is opening soon, so that's good too. From early reviews the figure also looks amazing.

What stickers did you get for astrotrain? I'm still tempted with all these third party figures. But haven't pulled the trigger. Maybe one day I will.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    These stickers http://www.capturedprey.com/store/transformers/tf_titans_return/titans_return_wave_2_labels

There's also a set for wave 1 but I can only find them on ebay for over twice as much. They're just regular stickers, they don't stay on that well, but I like them. Especially for that price.

I need to take pics at some point. Of all that stuff, really.

Oh, and one more thing I got was the YES model BB7 KO Thrust. Good price and really good quality. Felt just like a real MP seeker and even came with some Decepticon labels.

Schide on
  • Options
    Ahhh those are neat stickers. Can't wait to see them on your Astrotrain. I just went looking at the Thrust you bought. Man they are pretty expensive for not official models.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Yeah, they're expensive for KOs, but still only half as much as the official and the cheapest of potential mp Thrusts. They're not 1:1 either, they're essentially remolds of the mp11 mold. And like I said the quality is really good.

So since I wanted an mp Thrust it was my best option. Not sure if I'm going to get Ramjet or Dirge, but if they make a G2 Ramjet I'll be all over that.

• Options
    Took some pics of the Titans Return figures with stickers
    yJlypXr.jpg

BdTQnNu.jpg

zG3dcUf.jpg

YMt2xdW.jpg

YcGHvhx.jpg

lcPGKNn.jpg

lGigTw1.jpg

Also one of Combiner Wars Optimus with the SND Primo Vitalis kit because it's good.

AugfScT.jpg

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Check your Walmart's, I just got Ultron, Iron Fist, Nick Fury, Tron, Yoda, and Vision Infinity figures for 3$ a piece ( Canadian!)

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Ugh. My Fans-hobby Archenemy is taking forever to arrive. The tracking they gave me hasn't updated since it was posted. Maybe next time I'll just buy from a store that has EMS, instead of this company's website.

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    US retailers are starting to show it in stock, too.

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    Kultur's good. Simple but effective.

Whoa I just typed that and like right after the thing I was listening to also said "simple but effective". Crazy.

• Options
    Woo! My GoLion/Voltron came. I now have to wait till I have time to pull it out and check him out. I love the Voltron slip cover that was included.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Woo! My GoLion/Voltron came. I now have to wait till I have time to pull it out and check him out. I love the Voltron slip cover that was included.
    I've seen a lot of reviewers keep the red and green lions' tails attached when combined, and while that's fine when the shoulder tabs are fully locked, they might be a problem if you want to use the black lion's unlocked shoulder's as an extra butterfly joint (e.g. to hold the sword in two hands).

I personally keep the tails off because I'm worried I might accidentally snap them inside while the torso.

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Haven't posted here in a while because I kept telling myself "hey you got a bunch of new stuff, you should take pictures and write it up!" And as you would imagine that never materialized.

What I do have however is a questions. Well maybe multiple questions. Dunno yet.

Anyone used reprolabels before? I keep hearing about them but their site does not inspire confidence since it is an immediate redirect? Has anyone used them for anything besides the sticker sheets? Specifically the paints and dioramas?

• Options
    Nah, Reprolabels is cool. They've been around for years and I don't ever hearing them doing anyone wrong. I've gotten a few sets of stickers from them over the years, not much, but in fact just got the TR Brainstorm set from them the other day and put them on yesterday.

The Reproplabels site just redirects to http://toyhax.com/ now because they switched domains because they're doing the paints and dioramas now. But I haven't gotten any of that other stuff from them so I can't help you there.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Schide wrote: »
    Nah, Reprolabels is cool. They've been around for years and I don't ever hearing them doing anyone wrong. I've gotten a few sets of stickers from them over the years, not much, but in fact just got the TR Brainstorm set from them the other day and put them on yesterday.

The Reproplabels site just redirects to http://toyhax.com/ now because they switched domains because they're doing the paints and dioramas now. But I haven't gotten any of that other stuff from them so I can't help you there.

Yeah the redirect surprised me and immediately set off lots of red flags, but simultaneously I have heard/read lots of good things about them so I wasn't sure. I may take a chance on a diorama, and my wife says the brand of paints is good but we'll see how that project comes along.

On the other side I needed something positive so I decided I wanted to start something I like to call "arthas pets things"
    HniB4rUm.jpgWZMwWGJm.jpg10BoTk0m.jpg

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I took at look at the website and the paints they are selling are Vallejo, which is what I use for miniature and Gundam model painting. Their pricing is $3.75 per bottle, which is expensive. You can pick up the same paints elsewhere for less.

Also, they only carry the Game Color line, which is intended for miniature painting. These tend to be thinner paints used for layering or blending. Vallejo Model Color is their series made for WWII stuff, has almost all of the Game colors, and much better coverage.

• Options
    Heffling wrote: »
    I took at look at the website and the paints they are selling are Vallejo, which is what I use for miniature and Gundam model painting. Their pricing is $3.75 per bottle, which is expensive. You can pick up the same paints elsewhere for less.

Also, they only carry the Game Color line, which is intended for miniature painting. These tend to be thinner paints used for layering or blending. Vallejo Model Color is their series made for WWII stuff, has almost all of the Game colors, and much better coverage.

good to know, thanks!

• Options
    Got my Fans-Hobby Archenemy. That only took forever to arrive :razz:

vgFk9vd.jpg

He's a pretty good looking robot, with great articulation, and an impressive SWORD OF FURY, but it does have some issues.

For one the sword has a bit of a hard time slotting into the hand. Instead of just a straight tab on the sword, there's a lip on one side that gives it kind of an L shape, and you have to get that in perfectly into the slot on the hands. The top of the right hand's slot has become a little warped from my attempts, but this looks like superficial damage so far.

The cab mirrors do not fold away and obstruct the shoulders pylon. It's not a big deal, as you can move them pylons around the mirrors but it's definitely an oversight.

The chest was designed with the ability to open up to reveal a matrix chamber, but has been glued shut on this release (will work on the Optimus version coming out later). What makes this worse is they kept the pins and mine open very slightly, but due to the glue they won't open further.

The eyes are translucent plastic like on the Takara MP-10 Optimus, giving this guy the same dead eye look. Wish you would have included proper light piping, or at least painted the eyes.

Speaking of he's head, it more closely resembles MP-10 Optimus than the original RID Scourge/G2 Laser Optimus Prime toy mold.

Haven't transformed him yet. I'm actually a bit worried because I saw one person on TFW2005 have a breakage when they tried moving one of the petrol tanks. I'll do another post later when I do.

I still really like this figure because it's RID Scourge though. And when Fans-Hobby releases the trailer I'm definitely going to get it to complete the set. Although when that happens I'll probably buy from Robotkindgom or something that have EMS, because the tracking for this parcel had it as processing in China for almost two weeks. It was only a four days ago that I was notified that it was processing in Melbourne.

But at least I didn't have to take another taxi to pick it up so I guess there's that :razz:

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    What's my best option for turning Masterpiece Soundwave's eyes red?

• Options
    wonderpug wrote: »
    What's my best option for turning Masterpiece Soundwave's eyes red?

https://www.nonnef.com/products/mp13-masterpiece-soundwave-eye-piece-replacement?variant=5996219523 I think you can still get them from here?

Which reminds me, I need another set of CW hip ratchets for the Motomaster I want to use with my SND Nemesis kit.

• Options
    Actually you know what the worst thing about Fans-Hobby Archenemy is? It frigging stinks for this strong chemical smell. The room I left it in now reeks!

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    Actually you know what the worst thing about Fans-Hobby Archenemy is? It frigging stinks for this strong chemical smell. The room I left it in now reeks!

Most of the stuff from cheaper manufacturing plants have this smell. I forgot exactly what it is, but I usually put that stuff out in the garage for a day or so to let it leak out that smell before bringing it inside the house.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    GET AWAY FROM MY UNREASONABLE LOVE OF TRANSLUCENT PLASTIC, GREEN SHADOW GRAVITY BUILDER

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    So I have no idea what I was doing, but I bought the Year of the Goat Soundwave when Hasbro put them on sale in their eBay store. I guess I just wanted another Soundwave to play with and have the other one to be special and left in the box.

oosik_betsuni.png
This discussion has been closed.