As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The newer action figures (and other toys) thread (NSF56k)

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Dang it, stop making me somewhat regret not getting the Seacons 😅

The nice thing is that you can now wait for God Neptune which is being teased.

Fiddling with them today I have to say that I like them over my other Hasbro combiner teams now. Especially my Terrorcons which I had to drive all over the place to hunt them all down (and over a long period of time).

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    i had ordered some diorama parts that i wanted to investigate. turns out the planet x war for/fall of cybertron figures are still super discounted so i picked up their starscream. i'm still messing around with him
    RcZ7SF2l.jpg

the joints feel good and he is pretty stable as you can seee in the picture. ihe is sort of unphotogenic as i had to actually mess the color schemes to get him to "pop" more. i apparently overwrote the orignal picture so here ar esome others that were photoshopped but not for colors
    OcsrCerl.jpg
    HMbV5knl.png

he ends up kinda washed out a lot so i need to play around with lighting to see what can be done. additionally i am toying with more photoshop options but i'm working with photoshop elements not full photoshop so i don't know if i have the option to do some of the more interesting things. mors does come with a few accessories besides the classic crown, specifically the energon mace megatron uses in the old trailer (and you could melee with in the games) as well as 2 null rays (as per legal requirement of course) but they are as you'd expect the war for cybertron version so held like a traditional sniper rifle and not attached to his biceps. there are peg holes that it fits on his forearms but that makes them extend down past his knees which looks derp. beyond that he does have light-piping in his head which is sort of noticable in the one picture but i need to again figure out lighting and angles

aside from planet x mors i went in first and foremost picking up the extreme sets sector 7 set. this is one of a few they have and i am actually surprised how good them are. i haven't "built" all of the pieces yet, this set is just rectangle boxes that are "modular" and there's like 10 of them. i put built in quotes becaues they are just flattened boxes. it sounds really cheap but they look pretty nice. they have more of an alien (this movie) aesthetic than transformers because they are kinda dirty looking but i like them. since they are cardboard they were also cheap so that's a big plus. i know some of the other sets can be more expensive but i think i'm going to try and get others. i'm tempted to hit them up on twitter to suggest a more cyberton looking set. as background pieces i think they will look good.

the other diorama set is a resin one but i need to take some pictures of it. it's a ruined building so it'll work for gears and maybe mortal kombat. too earth looking for me to at a glance think transformers fit.

edit:

more baraka and kait because why not
    psxd4yjl.jpg

edit 2:
    tonight i dine...
    OQNT9mOl.jpg

so that's the other diorama part i had acquired. there's a second piece that is a smaller broken wall. i like it although it is pretty tiny and tbh i could live with lower quality for larger size/lowered cost. it's resin so it's heavier than most other pieces i have but i think it's a good background set. obviously it is a huge upgrade in quality to the diorama pieces i have been building

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Dang it, stop making me somewhat regret not getting the Seacons 😅

The nice thing is that you can now wait for God Neptune which is being teased.

Fiddling with them today I have to say that I like them over my other Hasbro combiner teams now. Especially my Terrorcons which I had to drive all over the place to hunt them all down (and over a long period of time).

Hah yeah I literally saw the God Neptune teaser pic after that post... thanks googluminati for tracking everything I type

@WingedWeasel was that PX Starscream worth picking up?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    I only just opened him up so it's tough to say. I can try to get some more pictures tomorrow. I'm recording tonight so I won't be able to at the moment. he is about the height of a ttians return voyager (i had him standing next to galvatron in particular), but he is chunkier in a good way. haven't tried to transform him yet. the articulation is pretty decent but he has some irksome things like being unable to have his arms cross is chest to properly hold a 2 handed weapon. still, many toys are unable to do that, especially with a cockpit for a chest. the bbts photos(https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/40010) show him holding the null ray like a rifle with 2 hands but i need to work the arms more to make it happen i think the colors could've been more vibrant. they look good but are a little on the dull side, but personally i have been enamored recently with wild ass color schemes so it may just be me. the joints seems pretty good and you can work most of them decently to get some poses it seems, but as i said i haven't done a whole lot yet.

the hands have a joint at the knuckle so they clasp and can grab weapons as opposed to simply a 5mm peg. you can cobble together open handed stuff but as you can probably see in the picture with paddles it's a weird looking.

he has more of a back arch than an ab crunch as i can see it will separate for transformation, but ankles tilts, and other usual points of articulation including neck.

and "toes"

i love war for/fall of cybertron so it molds my opinion, but i am happy with this guy. maybe contented is more accurate? i'm not overjoyed but i am in no way disappointed. i 100% would be if i was paying $80+ and his original price was over $100 which is big fuckin no go. at this price i am happy with the figure on my desk but if you aren't super hyped by the aesthetic i think he can be passed up? that probably sounds more negative than i intend.

now that i have several planet x toys (didn't realize this until now - starscream, trypticon, paddles, insecticons) i do like their stuff, however i think if you are paying whatever the base asking price it is a big much. due to the designs there are limitations on articulation, no more-so than a transformer in general. afterall they have to adhere to real physics and not video game/cartoon physics. that being said i am accustomed to hasbro price points and as a result it is exceptionally rare that i splurge for this sort of thing. i am eyeing their megatron, grimlock, and others but unless i can get them discounted i am not going to do more than just gaze longingly at pictures.

edit: ok i was able to take some quickly because i thought it was alter than i thought it was. these are just real quick so i can get better angles if you want
    7hwY3l2l.jpg
    EXSmhOGl.jpg
    jCnw10Ul.jpg
    WxugbJLl.jpg
    CQs9EBal.jpg
    jDnaOYfl.jpg
    7GdccSvl.jpg
    t3lJslNl.jpg
    jTmVtOhl.jpg
    IZLhLtDl.jpg
    YDFOgHyl.jpg

last one is suppsoed to be him squatting but it just looks like him scrunched up so it doesn't look like much. i was a little lazy with the backpack. it is large but simultaneously surprisingly small? it's clearly wider since it has wings but it doesn't extend back as far as say earthrise starscraem's nosecone

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Last two seacons went up on Hasbro pulse.

Yoink

• Options
    Nobody wrote: »
    Last two seacons went up on Hasbro pulse.

Yoink

Woohoo!!! I was worrying for you and now am glad you got them and didn't fall for paying the price from TF Source.

Now I can't wait to hear your impressions on them.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    I still need to unbox Nautilator and Seawing, so I’ll probably do all 4 and the gestalt at the same time

• Options
    Plus you can pre-order God Neptune as well!

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Another great double post for me! So 4 packages came today from Hasbro Pulse (seriously, they annoy me with packaging each individual piece in their own shipping box). Inside each one of them were the newest adorable Star Wars figures for my (maybe my wife's) collection. Who other than The Child Baby Yoda!

The first two are from this cute line of theirs called The Bounty Collection (I have no idea) starring The Child. They come in two packs and are super adorable.
    the_child_01.jpg
    the_child_02.jpg

These things are so cute! I seriously had to go, "Awwww" when I first pulled them out of the cardboard box within the cardboard box (they came in a smaller cardboard box inside the shipping box). They come in a two pack so you get two for the price of around $16. Oh yeah, then there is the container they are individually sealed in (the first photo). But once you get them out you can't stop saying they are cute and laugh at them. Each one has so much character. They are just figures and no joints on them. What's funny is that the blue blanket was originally colored brown in the computer graphic of it.

In the fourth box was the Black Series The Child. I know from seeing photos of him from other Star Wars collectors that he will be small (plus the description said he was about 1.2" tall). But for his size he has a ton of joints! You can move his hands (twist at the wrist), arms (limited mobility and they can pop out of their socket), head (again, can pop out), and his feet can move a bit at his ankles. My wife actually found the feet movement when checking it out (and also discovered the arm popping out that she read about). The joints are a surprise, but it is sort of normal for the Black Series line. He also comes with an alien frog, a cup and the knob from the Razor Crest (The Mandalorian's ship). All of this for the lower price of $10 (normally Black Series figures go for around $20). I took a photo of the Black Series Yoda, Episode 3 3.75" Yoda and Baby Yoda together. That way you can see the whole "Yoda" family in different sizes. Hahahaha. I don't have the Black Series Mandalorian to take a photo with, but I do have the 3.75" one (along with Cara Dune) so I took a photo with them. Also took a photo of him with a quarter so you can see how small he really is.
    the_child_03.jpg
    the_child_04.jpg
    the_child_05.jpg
    the_child_06.jpg
    the_child_07.jpg
    the_child_08.jpg

My wife said that I need a Black Series Mandalorian to go with him now. Luckily there is a spoiler version coming out soon that I plan on snagging. I don't really collect many of the Black Series since they are 6" tall and I just like collecting the older 3.75 line since that's the size I grew up with.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options

Gonna be honest, I have no attachment to that version. I'm happy enough with the Seacons with the Combiner Wars updates and OG color scheme.

• Options
    Nobody wrote: »

Gonna be honest, I have no attachment to that version. I'm happy enough with the Seacons with the Combiner Wars updates and OG color scheme.

Same here. I'm guessing the Tentakil to Scylla might get some of the collectors to double dip on the whole thing. I honestly never knew they existed till now.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I basically hate myself now for not picking up the Seacons

I wonder if they’ll do another run

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    I basically hate myself now for not picking up the Seacons

I wonder if they’ll do another run

What sucks is for a brief moment there was a chance to get the whole group yesterday.

Given I bought the set and wanted it. They'll bring it out in the next Generations set as a boxed set for less.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    This is pretty random. I guess tfsource bought a collection or found old stock?

Seems to only be bulkhead and Optimus, but holy shit, I own both (prime boxed bulkhead opened) and they are not worth $100 and $169 respectively! Then again I hunted down the breakdown that never made it to the USA so I guess I'm not really one talk. Don't get the wrong I love transformers prime but it's wild to me to see the prices on those figures

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Connecting front to back was the hardest step so far.

dzsvg57612w8.jpg

I might get this completed today, but for now I need a break.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Since the Hasbro Seacons are basically impossible to get now at a reasonable price.... I kinda want to spend even more money and get TFC Poseidon

because why not blow $500 on toys

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Getting pretty close to done. Just attached the seat.

nnk2ccnx8ei1.jpg

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Wow, that thing really looks like it would work.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I got curious about the price, and that Vespa is surprisingly affordable.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Well I haven’t buckled and bought the TFC Seacons... yet

but I did just impulse buy Planet X Hephaestus, which is a special redeco of Fall of Cybertron Grimlock. I loved those games, and Grimlock was awesome, of course. The official toy was definitely lacking though, and this color scheme is rad as heck

ueytb89u0gfj.jpeg

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I'm a sucker for translucent green bits and bobs, that's beautiful

• Options
    i'm curious your thoughts on Hephaestus @Forever Zefiro once you get the figure in hand. i actually like the official fall of cybertron grimlock, so it's less of a debate for me whether to get this version, i just stick with what i have. that being said i am pleased with the other figures i got from them, as i've mentioned before, so the thought always enters my head about picking that one up

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Dang, those colors look really good! That red is vibrant as f. I would probably prefer the outer ring on the shoulder to be a different color just to break up the large swaths of the red, but that's a tiny nitpick.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Alright so the Generation Select Seacons:

Overbite: One of the best looking alt-modes. Gun mode isn't that bad, nor are the limb modes.
    Nautilator: Not a huge fan of the lobster legs. The claws are really well done though.
    Tentakill: Good god that alt mode is ugly, but so was the original. Otherwise, a decent pickup.
    Seawing: Of all the Seacons, this is the one I was most disappointed with for the update. For one, there's no mouth. Also, a lot of "this could almost click in but doesn't"

Piranacon: Two major issues: The first is that I have one of the Tentakills where the foot spins freely (maybe just needs a coat of nail polish around the hole). The other is that the arms just can't support the 6th member as the weapon. It'd have been nice if they included an "official" back mount location.

Otherwise, I like the way it looks and the way it turns out. The trident sword is a very nice touch.

Nobody on
  • Options
    Glad that you liked the way they came out. The sword is really awesome and I love that gimmick.

So I got 5 out of the 6 Walmart exclusive retro Star Wars figures this week. I'm still missing Boba Fett and I really don't feel like taking my chances with my or my family's health by going out to Walmarts near me so I probably will miss out on him. Anyways, I love these little old figures since I had some growing up. I only had Yoda growing up (and still have him with all the accessories) but my brother had Han Solo and Lando. I loved Lando's plastic cape... So here are some quick photos. Thanks to Walmart's great packaging all of them are bent up except for Luke (but someone used it as a backing to write with a ballpoint pen). So they all have authentic retro damage like their simulated damage. What's funny is seeing them next to the newer Vintage line figures with their 5 million points of articulation. My wife made a funny comment on how ugly they look compared to the newer ones.
    ESB_Retro_01.jpg
    ESB_Retro_02.jpg
    ESB_Retro_03.jpg
    ESB_Retro_04.jpg
    ESB_Retro_05.jpg

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Figures Boba would be the rare one

• Options
    I picked up Stealth Suit Spidey marvel Legends, because it's a good design. This is the first Spidey toy I've had in years and gotta say, I miss the bendable toes. I feel like way back in the day, when Toy Biz was making the Legends figures, the quality was higher. It's still a nice figure, I like the different hands, the extra shoulder/chest joints, and I appreciate any web accessories they include even if it's basic.

3gec52w0fmhm.jpg

04fe92l7ipld.jpg

• Options
    Any look at the PE dark warrior and honor warrior? I think they look good but I've only had experience with the add on parts from them. Since it was the combiner hands/feet and I've had issues with the Combiners it sounded my experience on it

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    We were talking about third-party Devastators in here not long ago, so I thought I'd mention this: over the weekend, BBTS put up a pre-order for a special edition of the Generation Toy Gravity Builder for $270, which is 57% off MSRP:
    https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/126328

This version is in the original Constructicon pale green, with the purple parts being a purple chrome (that's the "special edition" component).

Note that a lot of folks consider Gravity Builder to be too short to be in-scale as Devastator next to other Masterpiece toys. It's also a little bit more stylized (especially the individual bots), and doesn't slavishly go for G1 accuracy (which is the direction Masterpiece Transformers have been going in for several years now).

Personally, I think he looks good, but also I'm not a fan of that purple chrome, and I think the Constructicon pale green is kinda... sickly-looking. I've always much preferred the G2 yellow deco, almost certainly because that's the version that was available when I was a kid (I think this is the only case where I prefer a G2 deco, as they are generally outlandishly garish). Although, 4 of my Constructicons are actually from the later, orange deco.

• Options
    I gotta say, I really like Earthrise Wheeljack

Solid robot mode, some clever transformation stuff, great vehicle mode with the decals (though I wish the white was whiter)

I hope it gets some good repaints/decos

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Remember that Ghostbusters/Transformers crossover figure from last year? Well, instead of doing the thing I wanted (the DeLorean from BttF) they've gone in a different direction with their crossover line. You could say they're in the "Danger Zone."

...No, it's not Archer.

It's an F-14 Tomcat named Maverick.

https://geekculture.co/hasbro-top-gun-x-transformers-is-a-f14-tomcat-autobot-named-maverick/

• Options
    Since I'm currently not employed I can't buy any dolls right now, but I might... might... buy this doll when she comes out if I have a job by then:

495df4oc8ih6.png

Originally I wasn't into the three-eyed dolls Danny has been pitching, but then someone pointed out you could make a Garnet doll with this model and she is my favorite Steven Universe character.

• Options
    Remember that Ghostbusters/Transformers crossover figure from last year? Well, instead of doing the thing I wanted (the DeLorean from BttF) they've gone in a different direction with their crossover line. You could say they're in the "Danger Zone."

...No, it's not Archer.

It's an F-14 Tomcat named Maverick.

https://geekculture.co/hasbro-top-gun-x-transformers-is-a-f14-tomcat-autobot-named-maverick/

Yeah I saw the leak on TFW2005 and can't wait to see the official release. Odd that I actually want it....
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Since I'm currently not employed I can't buy any dolls right now, but I might... might... buy this doll when she comes out if I have a job by then:

495df4oc8ih6.png

Originally I wasn't into the three-eyed dolls Danny has been pitching, but then someone pointed out you could make a Garnet doll with this model and she is my favorite Steven Universe character.

Bummer that you are not employed. Hopefully you'll get something so you can pick it up. The third eye is really weird... Especially since it looks like a second left eye.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Yeah she's probably a little too weird for me. I dunno, depends on how I feel when I actually have money again.

• Options
    Yeah she's probably a little too weird for me. I dunno, depends on how I feel when I actually have money again.

By then it'll grow on you and it will be fine.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options

By then it'll grow on you and it will be fine.

What, a third eye? Gross

• Options
    Smart Doll is going to start making blue dolls

67wl6v5pkbzh.jpg

If I get this doll, it'll be so that I can make a Liara to go with Shepard.

• Options
    I feel like it's called Interstellar Blue in a nod to
    https://youtu.be/3Qxe-QOp_-s

• Options
    I feel like it's called Interstellar Blue in a nod to
    https://youtu.be/3Qxe-QOp_-s

Almost certainly.

• Options
    I think I just broke somebody’s heart, a Hotlink was hidden behind some larger Cyberverse boxes and ended up coming home with me.

This discussion has been closed.