As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kings of War - the Game of Fantasy Battles (and Disaffected Warhammerists)

• lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    So this is the way I plan to use some of my minis both for KoW and for skirmish games.

Orc%20basing.jpg

Basically it's just plasticard glued on magnetic sheeting with a combination of 1" holes and minis glued directly to the plasticard. The separately based minis are on 1" washers. With three units based this way, I have 12 removeable orc archers which exactly makes a unit in Lion Rampant.

In that case, I could have just put all the orcs on washers and fit them, especially if I used smaller washers, in but the real point of this is to use some Ethiopian minis I have for Bolt Action. That game specifies 1" bases and, in my opinion, non-oversized minis ranked up 4 wide and 3 deep wouldn't look that great. If you glue some of the minis directly to the base you can fit more in like so:

Ethiopian%20Basing.jpg

That's just mocked up with blue tack and I haven't drilled out the holes yet.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    ponies you say ?

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

Draeven wrote: »
    ponies you say ?

Yeah. Ponies are small. And many are owned by people.

steam_sig.png
    All joking aside, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that one of the two secret armies will be Amazons.

steam_sig.png
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Going into the city for my birthday today, decided I'd use the online army builder to patch together a list I could field with my Skull Pass set and some trays cut from cardboard boxes.

Ironguard, Regiment (Brew of Strength)
    Ironguard, Regiment (Brew of Sharpness)
    Ironwatch Rifles, Regiment (Brew of Keen-Eyeness)
    Ironwatch Rifles, Regiment (Wine of Elvenkind)
    Ironwatch Rifles, Regiment (Jar of the Four Winds)
    Shieldbreakers, Horde (Brew of Courage)
    Shieldbreakers, Horde
    Ironbelcher Cannon
    Ironbelcher Cannon
    Ironbelcher Cannon
    King (Wings of Honeymaze)
    Battle Standard Bearer (Ensorcelled Armor)

I have little doubt I've either composed a poor army or will run it poorly... but hey, at least I'm not playing with someone else's minis now!

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    I would move the Wine of Elvenkind to your second Shiledbreakers Horde on the theory that if the rifles are moving then they aren't shooting.

steam_sig.png
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Game played! :)

...Game lost. :(

Played against a fellow newbie using a groupmate's Undead. 2000pts. Things actually felt they'd come down to the wire at the end, though tallying up points showed I wasn't quite as close as I'd thought. I used the list above (making the change that @lowlylowlycook suggested above). I can't remember all the exact units she used (like which Cavalry or Heroes) but it was something like:

Skeleton Spearmen, Troop
    Skeleton Spearmen, Regiment
    Skeleton Warriors, Troop
    Skeleton Warriors, Horde
    Armored Skeleton Warriors, Regiment
    Skeleton Cavalry, Regiment
    Werewolves, Regiment
    Cannon
    King on Wyrm
    2x Mounted Sorceress
    2x Sorceress

Shooting got some good results early on but my Cannons failed to pull their weight later simply due to not hitting at all. I'll probably exchange one or two of them for Volley Guns. There was also a bit of conflict in the firing lanes due to me not having any elevated terrain in my deployment zone to pop some cannons and riflemen on. I lost both my Shieldbreaker hordes on Turn 5 which is probably when I really fell behind.

I also didn't realize both my King and Army Standard had Inspiring, leading to not having them where I really needed them. I'll probably add another Army Standard or two in exchange for some magic items (a few of which I basically didn't benefit from).

All in all, an educational game. Do we know if there's any digital tabletop options like VASSAL available yet?

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    I haven't tried by here are some threads from the Mantic Forums. Just try to imagine what GW's reactions would be to this kind of thing. Mantic's reaction was to sticky the Universal battle thread. :)

Universal battle

VASSAL

steam_sig.png
    According the the Mantic forums the secret armies are The Trident Realm of Neritica and Night Stalker Armies.

Got to admit, I'm kind of glad that those don't sound super interesting to me.

steam_sig.png
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    According the the Mantic forums the secret armies are The Trident Realm of Neritica and Night Stalker Armies.

Got to admit, I'm kind of glad that those don't sound super interesting to me.

Short of some way-awesome lobster riders or Night Stalkers turning out to be bat people or something, I'm not sure they'll sound that interesting to anyone.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Yeah, you occasionally see some kind of interesting aquatic Cthuluesqe minis and the odd Were-Shark but neither of these seem like obvious ways to use existing ranges in KoW.

steam_sig.png
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    House Hadross would like a word with you.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

That's not the mobile-friendliest site but they do have a cool crab guy!

kshu0oba7xnr.png

There is also Deepwars
    forces.jpg

steam_sig.png

This is the faction that got closest to buying in to Wrath of Kings when my group when through the whole "Let's play WoK" phase.

steam_sig.png
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I was holding pretty hard to my self-imposed rule of 'don't shit up another game's thread talking about WoK until you make a WoK thread' but you should really give WoK a shot.

Not to stir the pot further but having played a few games it feels like what Age of Sigmar should have been: simple, fast, free rules, lax but balanced force construction, and very scalable.

It is, however, not at all like Kings of War so the above is all I have to say on it in this thread.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Certainly models exist for things in the Night-stalker army, but I think you would be hard-pressed to find things equivalent to units of those models being sold anywhere, in a "marketed for mass battle" sense.

That being said, one of the most interesting units in the list is technically made by Mantic already........

Hmmmmm

Hmmmmmmm

Time to stock up on clear plastic Bones minis?

steam_sig.png
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    So, a couple of things. Firstly, how do people who have played the game like it so far? I've only ever played a few games of a miniatures variety (due to being far away from people with armies, and not having the money to afford decent sized forces) so I don't really have room for comparison except from stuff that I've seen on youtube from miniatures sites, and I haven't actually checked out people playing Kings of War yet.

Secondly, how are the models? I'm considering at some point getting the Abyssal Dwarf army pack. I really liked the concept behind the Warhammer Chaos Dwarfs, but Warhammer is dead and while they look really nice, Forge Worlds Legion of Azgorh it is rather expensive, and the Mantic's army pack seems like a great deal. For example, in the army pack they're offering 5 units of models for around 75$, whereas one unit of 10 Infernal Guard from Forgeworld is nearly 60$... on its own. 20 Abyssal Dwarfs on their own cost around 30$ on their own.

Also I'm curious, the army doesn't come with a hero unit. Do you need at least one hero unit on the field? I'm looking at the rules and I'm not seeing anything specific about it (basically how much like warhammer/40k rules where you have to have 1 HQ and a certain number of troops and the like is it)

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    I've not played as many games as I'd have liked to yet, but in general it feels very streamlined in comparison to Warhammer Fantasy. It seems relatively well balanced, but there's also not much space for "crazy" shenanigans (no miscasts that wipe out your most important unit, for instance). It's pretty easy to pick up.

Models vary. I've got some of the elves and quite like their aesthetic, but others hate them. One thing I've noticed about them is that they seem much more solid and less fragile than some of the recent Games Workshop offerings, so they're less likely to snap in two during gameplay. The cost is also a huge perk in my opinion - they're easily the cheapest fantasy models on the market, and even if you dislike their design I think it's unlikely that you'll think they're only half as good as the alternatives even though they're frequently half the price.

You don't need any hero units (the only absolutely vital units are either a regiment or a horde), but it's generally recommended so that you can take advantage of the Inspiring special rule. It's kind of like a second life for any unit close enough to a hero that has it.

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Their prices do seem very reasonable, which is good for me. Aesthetic wise I like them alot, mostly I was concerned with quality of the actual models and pieces, which doesn't seem to be an issue.

For Heroes I'd probably have to look at the army lists but I'd have to pick between a King and an Iron-Caster. Iron Caster is supposedly better for warmachine heavy armies and the king for infantry heavy armies (which mine would be if I bought the army they offer) but the Iron-Caster has a spell called Heal which only works on Warmachines, Immortal Guard, and their Golems. However, their army box has a thing of golems and a regiment of immortal guard, so it might be worth it?

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    As long as you like the look, I think the main thing to watch out for are the goblins which have soft details and the Basilean men at arms which have badly proportioned arms. Some things, like your Abyssal Dwarves, are a mix of plastic and metal bits. Some people don't like that because they are a bit more work to put together and things might not fit exactly. Some don't like "restic" models but I have a ton of fleabag riders and didn't find it particularly bad. In general, Mantic's stuff goes from being a good deal to a great or awesome deal if you get bigger boxes of minis and/or get them on discount.

You can try putting together army lists on easyarmy.com which will enforce the list rules and also puts out nice PDFs with all your stats and special rules. In short each regiment you take unlocks a Hero OR Warmachine OR Monster, each horde unlocks a Hero AND Warmachine AND Monster. Units with an asterisk don't unlock anything. Definitely bring some inspiring in some form. Also, keep in mind that your opponents will hate it when you heal the damage they finally put on your defense 6 golems. Also, also, shambling is a big deal so pay attention to that.

steam_sig.png
    Hah, I misunderstood your question about heroes as implying that Mantic didn't make any for the Abyssal Dwarves. Anyway, I asked over on the Reaper forums (where I normally shop for fantasy heroes) and someone mentioned these troops as possible AD heroes.

Scribor

boyars_6_set_01.jpg

The Russian Alternative

Dwarves-of-Fire-Canyon.jpg

steam_sig.png
    Those dudes are pretty rad, but I'm not sure I want to have to pick them up out of a cargo container on the wharf at midnight from some guy named Stanislaus.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Hmmmmm. I don't know. That still seems more reliable than some Kickstarters I've seen.

steam_sig.png
    Those Dwarves of Fire Canyon look really cool. It's a shame I can't get to the Russian Alternatives web page (it keeps giving me a fatal error when trying to load the page)

Back when I was tempted to buy some of their elves I got the impression that they did most of their selling through their ebay store.

steam_sig.png
    Also Avatars of War make this guy:

AvatarsOfWarDwarfLordOfChaos.jpg

steam_sig.png
    There is apparently a new Abyssal Dwarf hero coming from Mantic soon;

Ww6TqLu.jpg

Really looking forward to the Naiads finally getting released, that's meant to be happening this month too.

Man now I just want to start an Abyssal Dwarfs army even more! Don't know if I have the money though. Might have to wait till Christmas.

Had a fun game last night: orcs vs. undead.

They undead player had a eliteish force with Mhorgoth, a troop of soul reaver cav, some wights, some skellies, some mummies and a legion of zombies with the +1 melee item. Oh and a regiment of Werewolves. I had Gakamak, some Trolls, a Giant and various orcs. Lots of orcs.

Due to a mistake on his part, I was able to charge the flank of his soul reavers with my Gore riders and routed them. I considered it well worth the sacrifice.

However, instead of being immediately routed off the board, the Gore riders were wavered. Two turns in a row. Blocking the horde of orcs behind them. When that horde finally did manage to charge into the skellies, I managed to roll snakeyes on the nerve test.

Meanwhile the werewolves ran up the far flank where a village and a rotating regiment of greataxes forced them to run all the way into the corner of my deployment zone. They then proceeded to run across the battlefield and charge right into my horde of orcs, which, having not routed the skeletons, couldn't turn to face the new threat and, thus, took the charge to the rear. That was the end of the horde.

I got the last laugh because the greataxes having pushed the werewolves wide like they were a left tackle that just needed to give the QB a few seconds, turned downfield and proceeded to take one of the objectives, which, it turned out won me the game, despite the fact that Mhorgoth had flamed a few units (including my giant) off the board and I had botched whatever chance I had of taking on the zombie legion with some awkward movement of my morax units and their screen of skulks.

Notes:
    Flying with fireball 15 is no joke.
    Dead Giants make orc players sad.
    Werewolves are crazy fast.
    I think that orc players have to consider taking more magic items than other players because our units are pretty vanilla otherwise. I like "Forrest Trolls" with the potion of the Caterpillar.

steam_sig.png
    Started work on a Krudger on winged slasher:

5u9rvm81k58v.jpg

Wings and torso are magnetized so that it's at least nominally transportable.

steam_sig.png
    @lowlylowlycook - is that a Bones monster? How sturdy's the neck on it? I've been considering mounting a metal rider on a Bones dragon but I'm not sure if it's going to, I don't know, deform under the pressure or something.

Yeah, it's 77361: Verocithrax.

It's one of the least sturdy of the Bones Dragons but it seems fine since the rider out too far.

Which dragon are you thinking of?

steam_sig.png
    This one. It'll probably be okay but I've never worked with whatever material it is before.

Yeah, you should be OK, I think.

I should really pick up that model. The Dragons Don't Share Dragon is awesome but it's a bit huge for gaming purposes. In general Julie Guthrie is my favorite dragon sculptor.

Which model are you using as the rider?

steam_sig.png
    The rider from this. Nothing too big and I figure there won't be that much alteration necessary to make it fit.

Hopefully.

Had an interesting evening of KoW last night. We had planned a 3 way scenario because our usual 4th player wasn't planning on being there. Just as we were setting up the terrain a new guy showed up and wanted to watch. By new, I mean he had never played a minis game but had bought the AoS box. Instead of letting him watch, I brought out my 1k Orc and 1k Goblin list and I showed him how KoW works. As usual he had all the basics down after just a few turns.

The other guys were done just as quickly so we were able to get our 3 way battle in as well. For the 3 way we just ran the game as usual and it works perfectly well. Next time we'll try random turn order and see if we like that better or worse.

A funny thing was that we went out of our way to not rag on AoS but that new player definitely picked up a lot of negative vibes from the internet.

steam_sig.png
    Just got a chance to listen to the latest (and very long) Counter Charge podcast where they go through the forces of Uncharted Empires.

They go into the Night Stalkers which seem to be nightmare creatures that when the Abyss is strongest can manifest themselves as an army. They talked about using Tyranid models or Gieger's Aliens but the basic idea is they take their form from their victim's imaginations so really anything horror themed could work. They have an interesting rule where they have no inspiring units but instead get it off their enemies inspiring units at a 12" radius. They also have a doppleganger unit that get's it's attack profile from the unit it charged.

On the other hand the Trident Realms seem like an excuse to add this thing to my Bones III pledge
    12249745_10153244657177957_6696121763745457533_n.jpg?oh=ed98cb5ca69234b4c034106267d6b342&oe=56EBCE53

steam_sig.png
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    I really like the concept of the night stalkers. Could use a lot of nids, tzeentch minis, 40k dark eldar, etc.