As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Kings of War - the Game of Fantasy Battles (and Disaffected Warhammerists)

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    So Christmas is coming up, and I'm considering buying the 75$ (50 British Pounds) Abyssal Dwarf army. I've gotten mixed opinions on the quality of the models but it seems like a pretty good value for money (especially if there's some kind of Christmas sale, though I'm not betting on that)

Now I'm just wondering what extra stuff I might get, and how to paint them. I don't actually have any red paint, so I might have to pick that up (and some gold or bronze or similar) though I probably wouldn't go with the exact scheme Mantic uses.

I'm also wondering if there are enough extra heads to put some variety in if I decide to buy the Ironclads to convert them to Black Souls. I might also get another Orc Regiment to use as Orc Slaves, since as far as I can tell color is pretty much the only difference between most of the actual models between the two sets.

Edit: Do they still have rules for Black Souls? I'm looking at their free rules list and I'm not seeing Black Souls on there, actually.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Yeah, Black Souls are still in. The free army lists aren't complete which is annoying.

kow2.easyarmy.com puts out nicely formatted lists and has everything.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    So I'd really like to do a kingdoms of men army based on the fallen realms lotr army (easterling cataphracts and uruk hai pikemen look sweet), but the annoying way they package lotr minis is turning me off.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    If you mean how variously equipped troops are mixed together, yeah, I had a similar problem with the LotR elves. I didn't need more spear elves so I used some of the spear elves as balista crew and converted a few to using swords.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Played another game a couple of weeks ago. My Dwarves vs my ride's Dust. My list:
    2 Regiments of Ironguard
    2 Regiments of Ironwatch Rifles (one w/ Jar of the Four Winds)
    2 Hordes of Shieldbreakers
    1 Ironbelcher Cannon
    2 Ironbelcher Organ Guns
    3 Army Standard Bearers
    1 Berserker Lord (w/ Brew of Strength)
    1 King (w/ Wings of Honeymaze)
    1 Greater Earth Elemental

We rolled for mission and it was the "carry the objectives home" one. When some lucky Surges nabbed him 2/3 on the first turn I had an idea how it would end, though it got reeeal close on Turn 5 when I managed to have two of the shinies. I also fielded a Greater Earth Elemental (using one of these) only to screw up the fact that it's Shambling. At least it beat some sort of similarly-sized something-or-other (Scorpion Husk, maybe?) and put me in the lead for that aforementioned Turn 5 before he got shredded by cavalry.

Also, screw Ironbelcher Cannons. I took one and it didn't hit once the entire game.

---

I'm thinking of taking a list like this next time (keeping in mind that I'm using a Skull Pass set and a couple earth-element models:

3 Regiments of Ironwatch Rifles
    2 Regiments of Ironguard
    2 Hordes of Shieldbreakers
    1 Horde of Earth Elementals
    1 Greater Earth Elemental
    1 Stone Priest
    1 King
    2 Army Standard Bearers

That's 1900 points. War engines are replaced with Earth Elementals and a Stone Priest. Any suggestions on changes or magic items to round it out at 2000?

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Has anyone here picked up Uncharted Empires yet? Kind of curious to see if any of the new lists are anything special - Mantic seemed to be hyping up the Night-Stalkers a fair bit.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Are the Forces of the Abyss miniatures being reworked or are they not technically released yet? Because I've seen models for them and read an article about them but they don't show up on Mantics online store.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Are the Forces of the Abyss miniatures being reworked or are they not technically released yet? Because I've seen models for them and read an article about them but they don't show up on Mantics online store.

They've not been properly released yet, they're coming out in February. I think some for Kickstarter backers have been shipped out, though.

• Options
    Burnage wrote: »
    Has anyone here picked up Uncharted Empires yet? Kind of curious to see if any of the new lists are anything special - Mantic seemed to be hyping up the Night-Stalkers a fair bit.

I've pre-ordered it from my FLGS but it hasn't arrived yet.

Night-Stalkers are certainly different in that they don't have their own sources of inspiring but instead use their opponents inspiring units at a 12" radius.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    I was looking at the varangur (chaos mortals) list and it looked pretty nice.

One thing I noticed is that they have a horse archer option for the horse raiders (which I guess marauder horsemen are the intended unit).

I can't really think of a decent horse archer mini that would fit, though. The only options I can think of would be:

Wood Elf glade riders (equipment is perfect but don't fit thematically)
    Dark elf dark riders (fit thematically but no bows, only crossbows, which irks me)
    Haradrim riders (closer, but still don't really fit)
    Riders of rohan (maybe with a dark paint job? still think they may look weird)

Buy some other dual purpose unit and steal the bows to put on marauders (savage orcs work great for making arrow orcs for this, a box of 40k orks and savage orcs will get you 10 savage orks with 2 handed weapons appropriate for a bigax unit and 10 arrow arms that fit right on instead of the sluggas for arrow orcs) Not really sure of something that would have bows included but fit in with chaos though.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular

One thing I noticed is that they have a horse archer option for the horse raiders (which I guess marauder horsemen are the intended unit).

I can't really think of a decent horse archer mini that would fit, though. The only options I can think of would be:

Dark elf dark riders (fit thematically but no bows, only crossbows, which irks me)

Buy some other dual purpose unit and steal the bows to put on marauders (savage orcs work great for making arrow orcs for this, a box of 40k orks and savage orcs will get you 10 savage orks with 2 handed weapons appropriate for a bigax unit and 10 arrow arms that fit right on instead of the sluggas for arrow orcs) Not really sure of something that would have bows included but fit in with chaos though.

Historical minis is your best bet for that one

http://fireforge-games.com/fireforge-games-miniatures/featured/mongol-cavalry-released

• Options

Are you trying to match an existing Chaos Warriors army?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    My old warhammer 8th friends convinced me with a demo game at the weekend to convert some warriors of Chaos to a Varangur army. Wont take me long and wont cost me much so why not. Not played in a year and it was nice to push plastic men around again. Although something about it just seems...off, compared to the feeling of playing warhammer. Cant put my finger on it yet.

Prime on
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    all the videos I have seen and watched, its missing something. But this is 2nd edtion so i would think in time they will tweek and add more stuff .

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Not rolling your own armor saves feels pretty different. There's also rolling rout tests against your unit's total wounds instead of just dropping models and wiping the unit when there are none left.

Yeah, it can take some getting used to.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    My Bolt Action Ethiopian force is getting closer to done so I'm working on some units to add in that would let me use them in Kings of War or Lion Rampant.

For KoW I plan to use them as either League or Rhordia allied with Herd or vice versa. Here is a hordes worth of Musketeers that use a combination of Perry Miniatures' Zouves for bodies, their Sudanese for heads and Warlords Pike and Shotte infantry for weapons.

ag3k3j899jic.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    Looks like it'd be an interesting army to face. I've been trying to make sense of which models to assemble and paint by drawing up a 1,000 point list and painting those first. I'm over half done with a horde of plague monks, and half done with a horde of rat ogres. Not played any games yet, so I have no idea if the sort of army I've made is any good on the field, but since I own far more skaven and my slaves could double as generic warriors, I think I have room for fairly drastic changes.

I'm thinking of using a screaming bell as unit filler, perhaps representing a magic item that increases combat power.

1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah. Play some games if you can.

Don't wait until you get everything painted or whatever. For instance you could easily be surprised how hard it is to maneuver large blocks of skaven since movement is much more restricted than it was in WHFB.

Also the unit basing makes it super easy to proxy in KoW.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    My Bolt Action Ethiopian force is getting closer to done so I'm working on some units to add in that would let me use them in Kings of War or Lion Rampant.

For KoW I plan to use them as either League or Rhordia allied with Herd or vice versa. Here is a hordes worth of Musketeers that use a combination of Perry Miniatures' Zouves for bodies, their Sudanese for heads and Warlords Pike and Shotte infantry for weapons.

ag3k3j899jic.jpg

It didn't occur to me until this post that I could use historical models to build a kings of war army and now I'm toying with the idea of building undead Romans.

• Options
    Good news! There is an upcoming book that is just historical army lists for Kings of War!

It's going to have selectable army rules, rules for famous generals and Veteran Rules that seem like a replacement for magic items.

You can listen to Alessio talk about it here.

And yeah, some plastic Roman Legionaries with some parts from Mantic's undead would probably make for an awesome and not that expensive army.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Yeah, I have some Warlord minis that are kind of multipurpose. They take a very long time for me to paint compared to Skaven, though, and Kingdoms of Men is also a horde army. So that could take a while. Incidentally, Warlord Games' own games require copious amounts of models, too.

Edit: Actually, here's a pic of the Warlord Cuirassiers. The poses are awesome. A complaint I have, however, is that there aren't enough pistols and swords to equip an entire regiment the same way.
    hwnDbl5.jpg

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    This might be a stupid question but I can actually find an answer. Is it possible to deal enough damage to a unit to destroy it or can they only be removed by routing them?

• Options
    Norgoth wrote: »
    This might be a stupid question but I can actually find an answer. Is it possible to deal enough damage to a unit to destroy it or can they only be removed by routing them?

Routing and destroying are basically synonymous in KoW.

• Options
    I guess the question I'm asking is if say a 10 man unit takes 10 damage, is it removed outright or is there a chance of it going past the number of models in damage if it passes the rout check?

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I guess the question I'm asking is if say a 10 man unit takes 10 damage, is it removed outright or is there a chance of it going past the number of models in damage if it passes the rout check?

There is no correlation between damage and models.

For that matter there's no correlation between models and any of the rules of the game.

• Options
    There's a chance of it going past the number of models. A unit only gets destroyed when it fails its Nerve test, and you don't remove individual models when a unit takes damage.

• Options
    admanb wrote: »

There is no correlation between damage and models.

For that matter there's no correlation between models and any of the rules of the game.

Thanks, I thought that was how I was reading it, it's just so diffrent that I had to check.

Now, after looking at some historical models I'm thinking about doing a Greek themed army. A bunch of Spartans, Hopolites, a cyclops, hydra, the works, no idea what army I can play that as though.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Any one you want, really. Just find a list that seems to suit the composition you want to play.

• Options
    I'm actually thinking the brotherhood. Mainly because they have the generic monster with buyable abilities as an option to represent various Greek beasties.

• Options
    There will be a specifically Greek/Macedonian army in the new historical book. Until then, Kingdoms of Men is sort of the catchall for historical armies. But let your imagination run wild.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Knocked this up as a quick forces of man list

Spartans (Heavy Pike Block regiment) 165
    Spartans (Heavy Pike Block regiment) 165
    Perseus( Hero on Pegasus) 90
    +Blade of the beast slayer 20
    Cerberus with fire breath (beast of war with ballista) 220
    Bowmen Troop 75
    Bowmen Troop 75
    Centaur Bray Striders regiment 155 FoN Allies
    +heart seeking chant 30

• Options
    Here are the Ethiopian tribesmen that I'm thinking of running as Herd units in KoW. From left to right Tribal Warriors, Tribal Spears and Tribal Hunters.

9z2ljgavqjmv.jpg

I'm trying to work out the basing now because Bolt Action takes 1" rounds and it isn't easy to fit those on unit bases meant to fit 20mm squares. Especially the troop sized ones.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Looks like you need some way of temporarily sticking the smaller bases the models come off the sprues with to both the round base and the tray. Also nice touch with the flowers.

1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Here are the Ethiopian tribesmen that I'm thinking of running as Herd units in KoW. From left to right Tribal Warriors, Tribal Spears and Tribal Hunters.

9z2ljgavqjmv.jpg

I'm trying to work out the basing now because Bolt Action takes 1" rounds and it isn't easy to fit those on unit bases meant to fit 20mm squares. Especially the troop sized ones.

Maybe those movement trays you got with war of the rings stuff?

• Options
    It's not as big a problem as it seems because KoW uses more models than any other game I might use these guys for so only a fraction of the models need to be removable. The others I can glue right to the movement trays.

The final version of the trays will be a sheet of magnet laminated between two sheets of plastic with holes for the washers in the top sheet of plastic. Basically the guys not on washers will be glued onto the KoW trays.

For a while I was torn on what to do with the bases. Ideas were either boring (green grassland), or not as typical as most people think (desert) or would be a lot of work (dried lakebed would require all the integral bases to be removed). Luckily I picked up this novel and when the first page suggested that expatriate Ethiopians would be nostalgic for the flowers on the cover that resolved the issue.

uey6igmtcwsb.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    You would think there would be tons of nice Greek themed monster minatures but apparently no? I'm having a nightmare time finding reasonly priced centaurs (looking like the forces of nature releases will be a godsend), or a decent sized cyclops or something similar to act as a beast of war. (Lots of nice hydras but I want to have that be you know, a hydra.)

I also tried to find a large enough scale hopilte to be a Talos (get one with a spear and that's the beast with basllita sorted!) but man scales are hard work.

• Options
    How about this Bones Storm Giant?:

77163_w_1.jpg

They also have Hill Giants but sadly no cyclops.

77313_w_1.jpg

And they have a couple Centaurs in plastic
    77264_w_1.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah I've looked at bones stuff but there's no size comparisons for anything on there.

• Options
    See those little triangles on the right of the pics? They are the same as in this one:

89018_w_1.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options