The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Writing Game] Word of the Week! 1 prompt, 1 week, 1,000 words [UPDATED 1/27/16]

• bigrickcookbigrickcook Dord of Lance? OklahomaRegistered User regular
    Medical jargon!

I'm gonna have to post a little paragraph or something about what happened in the serial story this past week since I didn't write on it for WotW.

http://panningforclouds.com
    Panning For Clouds, a writing blog dedicated to my fiction and writing columns! Updates at least twice a week.
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Ugh I have written too many poems about that subject. Too many.

edited September 2015
    Then I would offer this alternate definition:

Anomia - An affliction which rips your mind through the aether and into the body of a fantasy gnome in a D&D style portal adventure.

bigrickcook on
    Panning For Clouds, a writing blog dedicated to my fiction and writing columns! Updates at least twice a week.
  • credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    @Ceres : I like the characters in it, but I want it to be more vivid. In some ways it reads a bit like a summary for the first several chapters of a novel as opposed to its own story.

Could you focus maybe on one scene--maybe starting with the girl brushing her hair in the mirror--and then have it flash back to moments that fill in the rest of the story--like instead of saying her beloved was always picked on by other boys, you show a scene with a bit of dialogue of him getting picked on, and her feeling all conflicted but not doing anything, and another scene of her evesdropping on people talking about who was going to receive citizenship and who not? Something like that.

(also the way you wrote a summary-ish story, here, is exactly what I did for one of my first stories for the thread, and I think once that was pointed out to me, the quality of my stories improved. Seems like a very easy trap to fall into when you have a story that takes place over a lifetime but only 800 words or so to fit it in).

Steam, LoL: credeiki
    3DS FC: 1134-8436-4363
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    I actually completely forgot I submitted something so thank you guys for crits! I was a tad drunk when I wrote that and it probably shows. I had fun though. I do need to crit though and will get on that.

Quoth
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    @chiasaur11 I liked it, silly but fun to read. The king is easily swayed by definitions, it seems.

@bigrickcook Another silly short that was enjoyable. I didn't find it that confusing, but it did feel fairly rushed and I wanted to see more details about the world, without which it was hard to get invested.

And here's Part 11 of the serial story for this week's WotW: Anomia! There's a brief synopsis of the previous part that didn't get posted here since I did a different story for last week's WotW, and a link to where it can be read in full if so desired.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/33521864/#Comment_33521864

I'll get out there and crit everyone's entries on Saturday!

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Registered User regular
    And Anomia, right before the wire.
    Once upon a time, there was a… you know. One of those things. The big ones. With the what’s it called. They were around in the past, but you don’t see them now?

Well, you can remember what it was. So, there was one of those. And in it, there was a… damn. I should know this word. It’s not that hard a word, but every time I try to remember it, bam. Slips right by me. Like I have anomia or something.

See? That’s the weird bit. Complicated term like anomia, no sweat. Comes right out of my mouth like it was stuck between my teeth. Try to remember the name of something I just read about, something so easy to remember you can tell anyone without losing a step, boom. Totally gone.

Still, you can guess what I mean, right? So, in the thing, there was a person, one of the important ones. And his… daughter, whatever the name would be for that in this position, she had a problem. See, even though she lived in a thing, and her father was whatever he was, they lived in fear of a… ah, dammit.

Still nothing. Not quite one of those things they dig up in Montana or something, but kind of like that. You know, the thing they have to fight and it breathes something, like it ruins crops or burns them or whatever. There’s all kinds of stories about them. You probably thought of the name already.

So, in the thing, the guy and his daughter meet… you know, let’s skip the whole trying to remember thing, it’s obviously not my night. It’s the heroes of this kind of thing, with the armor. Right. The ones who kill the things that they don’t dig up in Montana.

Well, the person they meet, he goes out and fights the other thing, the kind of thing he kills, and he kills it. And then he comes back to the thing, and everyone is impressed, and he gets to have the other thing, and marries someone. And then they all live happily ever after, except the thing that wasn’t a thing from Montana, which just goes to show you that if they can dig up your bones, and they don’t, you should probably wonder why instead of going to a place to terrorize a thing, especially if someone’s walking around who can kill things like you.

Anyway, that’s the story.

And if you don’t go to sleep right now, I’m going to have to tell you another one.

bigrickcook
  • VanityPantsVanityPants Gokai Red! Registered User regular
    Is it Tuesday?

It must because, because there's a new Word of the Week!

The Word for Tuesday, October 6th, is...
    Flummox
    verb [flum-uh ks]

1. Informal. to bewilder; confound; confuse.

Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
    bigrickcook
  • tidbittidbit Empress Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So, um... How/where/when do I submit for this? *lost puppy dog eyes*

howtoleavehome.com
    bigrickcook
    tidbit wrote: »
    So, um... How/where/when do I submit for this? *lost puppy dog eyes*

There's two prevailing methods to share your story. It's not so much a competition as it is just a place to share a small piece of writing with a theme and get some feedback on it.

The first is that you can share the story directly into this thread. If you search through the thread a bit you can see how people format their stories (hidden in spoiler tags, referencing the Word of the Week they're writing for, double space between paragraphs because indents aren't a thing on the forum).

The other method (the one that you should use if you want your stories to be hard to find to outsiders and web search crawlers) is to create a thread in the Writer's Well (such as what Credeiki, KCWise, myself, and others have done) and post the stories in there. Then you link the post to this thread and people can go into the Well to read it.

Whichever method you choose is up to you and how private you'd like the story to be.

I usually post all my writing on my personal blog. May I post a link to that?

howtoleavehome.com
  • tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    For critique purposes it really should be a forum post here.

Generally posting links to outside work is against the rules, but I don't know if we'd consider this an exception to that rule. Because the forum is for sharing work with intent to receive critiques, the work should be on the forum and not just a link to elsewhere.

But I'm sure @ElJeffe can weigh in on that and tell me to shut my yap if I'm wrong.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Yeah, we would really prefer if you post the work here rather than link to your blog. There's plenty of internet to go around, don't worry about hogging it!

Maddie: "I named my feet. The left one is flip and the right one is flop. Oh, and also I named my flip-flops."

I make tweet.
    Cool beans. Here's what I've got.
    Sitting in my favorite dive bar on my birthday. Can't really ask for more. Of course, it's my party so I could also cry if I want to. I didn't expect anyone to come out because expectation is the only source of disappointment. But I did hope, just a little, that the one guy I've been chatting with for weeks would show up. It was a silly hope. "No reason to let that get me down," I say to myself. I prefer a smaller, more intimate crowd at my shows anyway. Right?

The last band is on stage. Booked on a whim, I have no idea what to expect. At this point my head is preoccupied planning a post-party pity parade. With ice cream. At least till the end of the show, forcing a smile. Using the same muscles I grind my teeth with. Suddenly music erupts from the stage. The surge of vibrations shakes me free of rumination. Drums pounding and guitars screeching, the sound consolidates into a languorous tempo and summons a belly dancer on stage. Not at all what I expected. am certainly not disappointed.

The lights are a soft lavender-red, accentuating angles in deep gray. Following the movement of the dancer's pelvis, I become aware of a flush creeping up my neck. I feel the familiar sensation of a bad decision developing between my legs. In an effort to distract myself, I look toward the band. My eyes train on the bass player's chest. Only wearing jeans and long brown hair, muscles straining when he screams into the mic. On his face there's enthusiasm so clear, so obvious, I can't help but genuinely giggle. He has the right idea - be the party itself.

I'm compelled to get up and dance. Powering through latent insecurity, my ample curves swing loose. I'm twisting and turning, doing a bad mix of belly dancing and the robot, just letting myself feel it. I'm just tipsy enough to dance like no one is watching, so I do. The result is something like puppies wresting over a Milkbone under a blanket. When the music grabs hold I have to respond. A good dance party is the next best thing to bad sex, I always say.

Eventually slowing down, I find my way back to a chair. Knees feeling the brunt of wearing heels all night, "Gonna feel that at yoga class tomorrow," I muse. But now I'm glistening with sweat and my heart is pumping. Exactly the wake up call I needed. I order another shot of Fireball and a pitcher for the band. Not sure how I managed to let one asshole drag my birthday spirit down. Nothing my favorite bartender can't fix with a couple more rounds. The band continues to rock the house, weaving a sultry mix of rock and thrash that keeps drawing my eye back to the stage.

After the show, I approach the stage. Everyone is sweaty and laughing. Clearly, a good time was had by all. I almost approach the shirtless rock god but get flummoxed the closer I get. Instead I talk to the group as a whole, "That was fucking awesome. I couldn't ask for a better closing act." Everyone utters syllables of agreement and high fives are doled out freely. I timidly glance at everyone and then walk away. A voice calls after me, "Hey what are you doing after this?" I turn to see my dream guy looking in my direction. Blushing all the way to my ears I almost respond when an adorable little blue-haired punk girl scoots by. She goes up to him excitedly describing a late show starting down the street. I force a smile one more time and make my way back to the bar. Happy Birthday to me.

howtoleavehome.com
    bigrickcook
    314 words on Flummox:

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/33601544/#Comment_33601544

Note: This is not part of the shapeshifter story, just a little something different.

248 for me.

Keep running, Rick.

You'll just die tired.
    ...Flummoxed.

Yes. That seemed somewhere around the right word.

Not full on confused. Not terrified. Not… anything else, really. Just flummoxed.

The new assistant engineer smiled. He could deal with flummoxed.

They said a core breach would cause some minor disorientation. Some confusion. Well, he had that. Everything was going as described in the manual.

He looked down. There wasn’t a ship beneath him. Well, these things happened, sometimes. It was just… well, warp core breaches…

Huh. They mentioned disorientation. But he didn’t remember many other lectures on the subject. They said not to panic, he was sure of that. You were never supposed to panic, especially not in a core breach. Fortunately, flummoxed wasn’t panicked, so he had that on lockdown as well. He had confusion and no panic and he was still alive to keep them that way. Not bad after a core breach.

He still couldn’t remember what they said. Maybe… well, no-one really could remember everything about a core breach, right? The higher reality variable cloud density something something…

He really shouldn’t have slept in class that day.

Well, that couldn’t be fixed now. No point in dwelling on it. The thing to dwell on was… well, where he was. The new assistant engineer couldn’t quite remember. First there was the breach, and now there was, well, this. Whatever this was.

There had to be a word for his feelings at the moment. Something that described his mental attitude. Not perplexed. Not dumbfounded…

...Flummoxed.

bigrickcook
    I don't know what you're talking about, Chiasaur. Pretty sure I'm still ruling this roost. Rick's Roost.

I don't know what you're talking about, Chiasaur. Pretty sure I'm still ruling this roost. Rick's Roost.

Only as long as you keep running, Rick.

I might not be the fastest, the most creative, or the best writer here. But I've got one thing going for me.

I don't quit.

bigrickcook
    Ain't no party like a word word party 'cause a word word party don't stop.

BUT THIS ONE JUST DID! Your time is up.

It's time to move on to that fresh new beat. Let's reach into the old mystery hat here and see what we pull out...

The WORD OF THE WEEK for TUESDAY, OCTOBER 13th, 2015 IS...
    Cognoscenti
    noun [kon-yuh-shen-tee, kog-nuh]

1. persons who have superior knowledge and understanding of a particular field, especially in the fine arts, literature, and world of fashion.

Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
    KCWisebigrickcook
    Oh man that's a great word.

I have decided as of yesterday that the shapeshifter story will no longer be my WotW entry. It's apparent that too much time is passing between entries, and I'm now at a point where forcing the WotW into the story is becoming detrimental to that story.

So I'm back to one-offs!

edited October 2015
    Here's my Cognoscenti entry! A short one, basically the entire thing is a setup for a silly joke that I can't get out of my head and I will not apologize for.

Cognoscenti

Edit: Your move, @chiasaur11

bigrickcook on
    KCWise
    edited October 2015
    Mine is even stupider.
    Howard Erlich smiled. After all these years, he’d found it.

They’d called him mad, of course. A fool. A mad fool. A fool, mad, and poorly dressed. A mad, poorly dressed fool who wasn’t even invited and why was he wearing a Donald Duck costume while dancing on top of the wedding cake?

Yes, all this and more haunted him, but tonight, it would all be worth it. For behind the hidden bookshelf was a secret door. And the secret door had a padlock in the perfect shape of the insignia he’d purchased from the secret society’s… church flea market.

You took opportunity where you found it, alright? The important thing was that he was here. And soon, he’d find them. The ones who left the clues throughout the world, the ones who must be the masters of the world, for such was their understanding.

The door opened, and Erlich bowed.

“The Illuminati, I presume?”

A dozen faces turned to him. A dozen voices spoke as one.

“What?”

“Err, I thought… with the secret doors and the elaborate document trail…”

One of the figures shook her head.

“Nah. Not the illuminati.”

“Could be Cognoscenti. I mean, that’s almost close. We do have the whole book of secret knowledge and all.”

Howard straightened.

“What? Who else would have secret knowledge?”

Another figure sighed.

“Every secret society ever. It’s the fun of the thing, the stupid secret rituals.”

“And the locks?”

The figure pointed to a sign.

“The Universal Brotherhood of the Elaborate Secret Entrance.”

Erlich sighed, turned around, and walked out the door. Well.

It seemed like he had a Donald Duck costume to return.

Rook to Queen's Pawn.

And the dominoes fall like a house of cards.

chiasaur11 on
    bigrickcook
    So no one told you life was gonna be this way
    Your word's a joke, your broke, your story's D.O.A.
    It's like you're always stuck in second gear
    When it hasn't been your day, your week, your month, or even your year, but

Word of the Week has chaaaaaaanged
    (When the words start to pour)
    Word of the Week has changed
    (Like it always has before)

Ahem.

The word of the week for TUESDAY, OCTOBER 20th, is...
    DITHYRAMB
    noun [dith-uh-ram, -ramb]

1. any wildly enthusiastic speech or writing
    2. a Greek choral song or chant of vehement or wild character and of usually irregular form, originally in honor of Dionysus or Bacchus.

Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
    KCWisebigrickcook
  • KCWiseKCWise Barefoot in my Husband's KitchenRegistered User regular
    Awwwww shit, man. Awwww SHIT!

I am ABOUT THIS LIFE right here!!

I'm feeling like it's time to write another song, a tavern song, to the god of wine, Bacchus.

Sorry I'm late, but @bigrickcook - I read your piece on Cognoscenti and I have to share the tiny bit I got out...
    Fluffing white drapes one last time, Bridget's eyes dart around the room searching for any flaws. First impression is everything. The Cognoscenti only visit a gallery once. She has waited for this night her whole life.

Your dialogue is so vivid. I'd love to see a few stage directions. I read it out loud to myself and got a feel for the characters in a very short space.
    I feel like the word took us both in the same direction, sorta. I also might be crazy. =)

howtoleavehome.com
    bigrickcook
    Hey, thanks for reading and commenting! I'm a couple weeks behind on offering crits, but I hope to catch up tomorrow. There are two or three entries per week so at least it won't be a monumental task to catch up.

I'd probably agree with you on the lack of stage direction / narrative to give the piece some kind of spatial context. I pretty much never write in pure dialogue, so my focus was just to give the reader a clear idea on who these people are as opposed to what they were doing in relation to the dialogue.

My Dithyramb entry! 400 words.

VanityPantsKCWise
    edited October 2015
    And mine.

Clocks in at 573.
    “GIVE ME A B!”

Bad drinks.

“B!”

“GIVE ME AN A!”

Alcoholic, but so weak I couldn’t black out if someone hit me with a damn hammer.

“A!”

“GIVE ME A C!”

Crowded. And not even the good kind of crowded. More like I couldn’t move my arms without spilling something.

Not that spilling this piss-water would be much of a crime, but it’s more the principle of the thing. Always been a stickler for principles, believe it or not.

“C!”

I leaned up from my barstool.

“WHAT DOES THAT SPELL? YOU SUCK!”

Well, it was less crowded around me, at least. Seemed that interrupting the little half assed dithyramb going on around the room didn’t make me any new friends.

Or, if it did, they were the kind of friends who had the sense to worry about a bolt of lightning coming down from the heavens to fry whoever was going to interrupt a ritual.

Either way, not much of a loss.

On the stage, one of the local crowd turned to face me. Probably the idiot who organized the whole stupid cheer, without even having the guts to participate. Looked too sober to be excused for it, too, which set me to hate him right off.

“Sir… are you a stranger in these parts?”

I shrugged.

“I’ve been around. By now, I doubt I’m a stranger anywhere.”

“I just… the cheer was to celebrate one of the children of the king of the gods. He does not look kindly on…”

“Shitty beer and worse cheers? I don’t look kindly on things like that. Figure a little objection from upstairs is more than fair.”

The man smiled. A very sober smile. Admittedly, he could have drowned in the house special and looked sober, but it’s the principle of the thing.

“I heard he expressed himself with more force on the subject. We appease the gods...”

He looked to heaven and coughed.

“We praise the gods for their greatness, of course. The fact they could destroy us at any moment is irrelevant.”

“Is that so? So if I sat on a table and said all gods were bastards, you’d rush me right away, of course.”

“What?”

“Oh, you know. It’s respect, not fear, after all. You’d want to get your licks in on the monster attacking the holy and wonderful family of Zeus. Any risk of injury would be an honor, scars gained in the service of the gods.”

He was sweating now.

“I…of course.”

“Which means you’re going to attack me now, right?”

“What!?”

I smiled.

“Because I’m about to say that ZEUS IS A FUCKING…”

I took a step to the side, right before the bolt hit. Most of the room cleared. The man in front of me just froze.
    I shook my head.

“Huh. Seems like it was fear after all. On top of everything else, you can’t even back your words up.”

“I am a loyal servant of the gods!”

“Sure you are. But tomorrow morning, you’ll be a loyal servant of the gods with the worst hangover known to man. And the day after that. And the day after that…”

I continued as I walked for the door, which erupted into vines as I left.

Maybe I went a little overboard. Too obvious. Too direct.

But if it’s getting to the point where a god can’t get a decent drink, somebody has to step in, right?

Rick, I've been thinking lately. About you and me. About what's going to happen to us in the end. We're going to kill each other, aren't we? Perhaps you'll kill me. Perhaps I'll kill you. Perhaps sooner. Perhaps later.

Don't you understand? I don't want to hurt you. I don't want either of us to end up killing the other. But we're both running out of alternatives, and we both know it.

chiasaur11 on
    bigrickcook
    Chiasaur, I almost lost the game last night. I was fully prepared to just let it go and declare you the winner.

And then I thought, no. I will not go down without this fight. I will not go quietly to my doom.

We will be an end, you and I. The end of all things.

KCWise
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Hey guys!

I'll get the new word up soonly.

It's been a long day, sorry! Posting from my phone now.

Expect something Halloween-ish, you halloweenies.

Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
    I was working in the writer's block, late one night
    When my eyes beheld an eerie sight
    For my word from his slab, began to rise
    And suddenly to my surprise

He did the mash! He did the word mash!

It's TUESDAY, and you GHOULS know what that means. Rise from your graves and set your dead eyes on this beauty.

The WORD OF THE WEEK for TUESDAY, OCTOBER 27th is...
    Taphephobia

noun [tah-fuh-foh-bee-uh]

1. Psychiatry. an abnormal fear of being buried alive.

Your stories BETTER be spooky this week, you guys.

I will actually make myself write a thing for this week to celebrate the season. And I promise to do crits, too. That's a Halloween promise!

Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
    bigrickcookKCWisechiasaur11
    Alright, it's a little early, but hey. I wanted to have something in time for Halloween.

Four hundred or so words.
    You know, there’s a word.

Taphephobia.

It’s the abnormal fear of being buried alive.

Abnormal.

That’s what got to me the first time I heard it. Like it was normal to enjoy the idea. Like the Cask of armon… amon… you know, the one Poe story with the drunk? Like that was a nice bit of stress relief.

I mean, that’s crazy, right? Please tell me it’s crazy, because there is no way that it’s normal to just… stay calm in a coffin, deep in the Earth, as the air ticks away and you know you’re going to die forgotten. I mean, I had nightmares just thinking of it, back when we read that story.

The people who stay calm, the way I see it, they’re the freaks. They’re healthy, maybe, but they’re too healthy to be sane. It’s like those fitness nuts. Sure, maybe they outlive you, but there’s no way you can call it living. Give me a little sloth, a few bad habits, something normal.

We’re both normal. I always thought that about you, if it’s not insulting. I mean, normal is good here. Normal is healthy. You always seemed that way. I’ve been watching you, and nothing seemed wrong. I’m sure I seemed the same way. Healthy, but not too healthy, clever but not too clever.

I’ve always been told I blended into a crowd. You did too, if it makes this any easier. You fit into society, which means someone can replace you. You’ll be missed, but you won’t be permanently missed.

This is how you can matter. This is how we both matter. I take one part, you take the other, and now we live on in infamy. Normal’s an asset then. Normal makes us stand out. They’ll say how normal we were in shock, in awe.

It’s not like you were the first. I mean, it’s… you’re the last, the best. You’re going to be the one they remember. You and I, living in their memories. In their fears, the ones they pretend not to have.

We might even have a movie. Wouldn’t that be nice? I don’t suppose you ever thought you’d have one of those.

You’re not screaming any more. I hope it’s lack of air. I thought I knew you. I thought we had something. I thought you understood what all of this meant.

It would be horrible to do all of this to a stranger. Doing that… it would be abnormal.

Your move, Rick.

bigrickcookVanityPants
    Have you learned your lesson, Rick?

Last rat standing.

I'm hunger. I'm thirst. Where I bite, I hold till I die, and even after death they must cut out my mouthful from my enemy's body and bury it with me. I can fast a hundred years and not die. I can lie a hundred nights on the ice and not freeze. I can drink a river of blood and not burst.

Show me your enemies.

bigrickcookKCWise
    I hold that until a new Word is presented, I have not truly lost.

But yeah, I just flat out had nothing for this week. I concede! @chiasaur11 is the true master of Word of the Week.

If you think about it... Wednesday is really JUST like Tuesday, with a little something extra special.

Okay.

I forgot it was Tuesday yesterday until really late. So you're getting the word TODAY! That's right, we're dusting off and kicking back into gear for 2016 with hot, fresh words. Let's see what word we uncover today.

The word of the week for TUESDAY WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 6th, 2016 is...
    SHIBBOLETH
    noun | SHIB-uh-luth

Definition

1 : catchword, slogan
    2 : a widely held belief or truism
    3 : a custom or usage regarded as distinctive of a particular group

Have at it, folks!

Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
    KCWisebigrickcook
  • KCWiseKCWise Barefoot in my Husband's KitchenRegistered User regular
    Yassssss!! Welcome back!!