As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bojack Horseman: Free Churros

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I mean I understand how the joke was structured.

I guess it just fell so flat as to make me honestly question its qualification as a joke at all.

Then Bojack was like "That's a really good joke." and my confusion only deepened further.

I mean it's not even a joke, it's a story. It's not even a funny story!

BOOOO!

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    It's one of those things that's funnier to comedians and writers, I think, because it plays with expectations of joke structure.

For example, this is one of Barry Cryer's (veteran TV and radio gag man in the UK) favourite jokes (the exact wording changes but to save typing it out here's a version from this website:
    A man walks into a bar, and half his head is an orange.

He sits down, orders a drink. The bartender eyes him warily, but gets him what he wants. The man sits sipping the drink, idly watching the soccer game on the bar television. After a while, he runs dry and orders another.

"Tell you what," says the bartender, "this next one's on the house -- but you've got to tell me what happened to your head. I don't mean to be rude there, but..."

The man smiles. "No, not at all. I get this all the time.

Well, it started with the Gulf War. I was a young kid fresh out of high school, but I was poor. I needed money for college, and the Army looked like a good way out of the ghetto. But then they shipped me over to Kuwait. My platoon took some heavy fire during Desert Storm, and I was separated from them.

I wandered the desert for days, with only the contents of my pack to sustain me. I ran out of water, I ran out of food. I was desperate, on the virge of death -- when suddenly, I saw a glint of metal in the distance...

I forced myself onward, hoping the shining brightness was a glint of gunmetal from my platoon, or a city on the horizon, or anything. When I finally reached it, it was a piece of metal half-burried in the sand. I dug around it and excavated what appeared to be an old Persian oil lamp.

There was an inscription on the lamp, too covered in dust to read. I rubbed at the embossed lettering -- and then, a swirl of smoke and light surrounded me. Suddenly, before me, stood a ten-foot tall being, dressed in traditional Arabian garb, arms crossed.

'I am the Djinni of the lamp,' said the entity. 'For releasing me, I shall grant you three wishes. What is your first wish, my master?'

I was incredulous, of course. I deduced I must be hallucinating, that this was desert madness. I decided to test the mirage. 'Alright,' I tasked it, 'I wish for a wallet with a million dollars in it, that I can never lose, and whenever I take any money out of it the sum is immediately replenished.'

'Your wish is granted!' boomed the Djinni. I felt a bluge in one of my uniform pockets. Reaching in, I pulled out a new wallet, stuffed to bursting with crisp, new American bills. I counted them -- sure enough, it was a million dollars. I ripped up the bills, cast them to the four winds, and threw the wallet as hard as I could. The moment it was beyond my sight, it teleported instantaneously back to my pocket, refilled with another million dollars.

'What is you second wish, my master?'

I pondered the notion for a long moment, assessing my needs. 'Djinni,' I said, 'for my second wish, I want to be transported to a cool, abandoned palace, into a harem room with a hundred beautiful young virgins who will all fall madly in love with me at first sight, before a buffet table set with a feast fit for a king.'

'Your wish is granted!' Poof! I found myself in a royal harem, escaped from the heat of the desert. All around me, nubile girls eyed me with keen interest. In front of me, every conceivable type of meat was roasted to perfect tenderness, set with all the appetizers, side-dishes, salads, soups, and desserts of the four corners of the globe.

I dined until I was near-bloated, and then I had a lot of sex. I mean a lot. Several hours later, laying upon a bed of feathers, brown and blonde and red haired beauties nuzzling into me like puppies at their mother's underbelly, the Djinni stood before me, looking down in satisfaction at his work so far.

'What is your third wish, my master?'

I thought long and hard. Truly, this last wish tasked the very limits of my imagination, my beliefs, my ethics, my philosophy. Hours passed in silence, save for the gentle snoring of the ladies surrounding me.

At last, I spoke.

'Djinni, for my third wish, I want half my head to be an orange.'"

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    I liked that Bojack just said genuinely 'wow, that is actually a really good joke' and didn't so much as chuckle

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Another chance to feel incredibly depressed in the 2nd to last episode of a season.

Renewed for Season 5

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I'm finally catching season 4. I think I've managed to convince my toddler that it's a Daniel Tiger spinoff.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Rewatching as usual, and I never fail to laugh at Todd's conspiracy musings.

"am I just grasping at straws?...... wait..... STRAWS!"

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I'm finally catching season 4. I think I've managed to convince my toddler that it's a Daniel Tiger spinoff.

A friend did this with his toddler... her favourite character was the pink cat :)

Not so suitable when they get older!

• Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    I found 4x07 (the underground ep) one of the funniest episodes of anything I've seen in a long time.
    Jessica biel's melisandre act, the worship of the water, woodchuck losing his hands, the mob mentality and their sudden but inevitable betrayal of woodchuck, orgasm at changes in power guy. Everything about that plotline killed me. I love the always sunny cold opens where the title card blatantly contradicts the characters' deranged delusions, and I felt the same sense of inevitability to the character beats and jokes in this episode.

whole season spoilers
    4x09 was crushing but not as sad as I had feared. I think maybe I never fully bought the framing conceit so the miscarriage reveal was not as crushing. I never thought she was going to have that kid. I saw miscarriage from a mile away. What is nuts is how much other shit got layered on top of that tragedy in one fuckin day. Really well done by the writers. I was (and still am hoping) she can work it out with Ralph, walk back that breakup. It doesn't feel like the sort of breakup that has to stick.

4x11 was brutal but I don't think anything beats 2x11. I almost teared up though. Damn good episode. Doesn't redeem Bea (she's still an awful mother and seems like a terrible person) but it does explain her a bit.

4x12 was such a great happy ending. I didnt love the clown-dentists overall (Todd' antics are never my favorite) but the rabies run gag was great, Diane and Mr. PB has a very realistic confrontation (I love when he drops the happy go lucky shit and she drops her passive aggression and they opens up about their feelings) and bojack finally got a happy ending. I think the show needed it. His unrelenting awfulness was starting to get stagnant.

• Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    There are some mad call backs to previous jokes. The episode about Princess Carolyn the photo used of Bojack is a reference to an earlier photo from the Seal McNeil episode where he complains about them always using the photo where he is sneezing

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Botznoy wrote: »
    There are some mad call backs to previous jokes. The episode about Princess Carolyn the photo used of Bojack is a reference to an earlier photo from the Seal McNeil episode where he complains about them always using the photo where he is sneezing on Marisa Tomei

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    That photo has randomly shown up through I think most of the course of the show and it never stops being funny.

Sneezing-1024x576.jpg

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Finished season 4:
    Time's Arrow. Oof.

Always love the small background touches:
    I noticed Princess Carolyn flying past in the background a couple minutes before they rewound time and showed the day from her perspective, with the clentists flying her over the wall to meet Turtletaub.

• Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    Holy god damn, this is the best work of Will Arnett's career.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    I enjoyed Flaked, where he plays a more sympathetic Bojack-type character just trying to get his life together.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

All this and he's a Batman.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular

All this and he's a Batman.

And a Horseman.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    He's more bat than a man.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Or more man than a bat

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Does Batman live in Bruce Wayne's basement? Or does Bruce Wayne live in Batman's attic?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I just managed to soldier through most of S3 and S4. Due to my own personal battles with depression and anxiety this show really hits home, and I really like it and I feel it's an important show for me to watch.

Watching someone just utterly fuck up like I do has a cathartic and commiserative quality, but it's also nice to see your own problems dissected and put on a plane where I can observe others doing them.

Despite all that, this is a hard goddamned show for me to watch and really takes a lot out of me. But I feel like a better person, even if it's just that little tiny bit, because it's almost like I'm admitting my own faults via this cartoon horse, and often I'll superimpose my own previous misdoings over what's happening on screen.

S4 ended on a really nice note and it was a really good season (although not as consistently solid as S3, but had better highs).

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Also, all the episodes dealing with Bea and Hollyhock were powerful as fuck.

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    I was honestly kind of surprised I ended up liking Hollyhock. Before the season started adding a teenage daughter this far in seemed like a recipe for disaster and my initial impression of her wasn't the greatest (sending Todd running all over town while she relaxes) but she actually ended up really likable and had a solid story arc.

It's to the credit of the show that despite all the prominent characters having done some objectively terrible things that I still like them all (excluding a handful of intentionally despicable characters like Hank Hippopotamus)

• Options
    Road Block wrote: »
    I was honestly kind of surprised I ended up liking Hollyhock. Before the season started adding a teenage daughter this far in seemed like a recipe for disaster and my initial impression of her wasn't the greatest (sending Todd running all over town while she relaxes) but she actually ended up really likable and had a solid story arc.

It's to the credit of the show that despite all the prominent characters having done some objectively terrible things that I still like them all (excluding a handful of intentionally despicable characters like Hank Hippopotamus)

Bea's story was really heartbreaking. It doesn't redeem the character at all, but just kind of gave an explanation.

The entire episode when we were lost in her mind, and how it called back to the seasons episodes prior and how it did the art style was just fantastic.

• Options
    a big part of what made me like Hollyhock was that I just like seeing/hearing Aparna Nancherla whatever she's doing.

• Options
    KalTorak wrote: »
    a big part of what made me like Hollyhock was that I just like seeing/hearing Aparna Nancherla whatever she's doing.

Well, she also acted like a teenager. A little naive, but not stupid, and kind of emotional but not a mess of hormones and rebellion.

I've seen so many shows not know how to write teenagers that it was kind of refreshing to see one well-done.

• Options
    Crossposted from chat.

Man, Amy Sedaris fucking kills it at the end of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhbIXBdJxM8

• Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    Does Batman live in Bruce Wayne's basement? Or does Bruce Wayne live in Batman's attic?

Well, Bruce Wayne existed before Batman did, so technically Batman is living in his basement

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Sadgasm wrote: »

Well, Bruce Wayne existed before Batman did, so technically Batman is living in his basement

Yes but it's generally established that he now sees himself as Batman, and Bruce Wayne is the costume he wears. So I think it's actually the other way around.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    Donnicton wrote: »

Yes but it's generally established that he now sees himself as Batman, and Bruce Wayne is the costume he wears. So I think it's actually the other way around.

Yeah, but that just means he's living in a dead guys basement. The locations havent actually changed.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    If we're gonna have this discussion here too, I'll say what I've said before:
    IMO, the truest Bruce Wayne is neither the playboy nor the Dark Knight - it's the man sitting at the computer in the cave with his cowl off, surrounded by his family, who know and are part of the secret.

• Options
    If we're gonna have this discussion here too, I'll say what I've said before:
    IMO, the truest Bruce Wayne is neither the playboy nor the Dark Knight - it's the man sitting at the computer in the cave with his cowl off, surrounded by his family, who know and are part of the secret.

I prefer the original Grant Morisson version myself, the one from A Serious House On a Serious Earth: A broken man so traumatized by the loss of his parents that the closest he can get to intimacy with women is through idealized, exciting criminal profiles and photos, and the closest he has to friends are psychotic mass murderers who are equally removed from society.

• Options
    Why are we talking about Batman in this thread?

Is there some sort of connective tissue that I'm not seeing?

• Options
    doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    Why are we talking about Batman in this thread?

Is there some sort of connective tissue that I'm not seeing?

Will Arnett is lego batman. I think that's how it started?

what a happy day it is
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Eh, I prefer a Batman who was hurt by those events, but has grown up.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

If superheroes were capable of emotional maturity, DC and Marvel would have gone out of business in the 1970s.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Fencingsax wrote: »

If superheroes were capable of emotional maturity, DC and Marvel would have gone out of business in the 1970s.

I disagree and this seems kind of pointlessly snide. More importantly, though, this is the Jack...guy...Horseperson thread. Let's quit sowing our "oats" get back "on track." Horse jokes!

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    She is almost 18. Otherwise I can't see her family letting her

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.