Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Bojack Horseman: Free Churros

1111213141517»

Posts

  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    A lot of people have a poor grasp on the ways that therapy can work. In many cases, it is pretty much is just the patient lying on a couch while being smart.

  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. 5386-8443-8937Registered User regular
    Therapy is bad enough when its not national news you're getting it.

    MatevAbsoluteZeroTDawgMartini_PhilosopherCouscous
  • TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Burnage wrote: »
    The thing that really gets me about this show is that at the end of every season Bojack looks like he might be finally taking some steps to change. He wants to change. The people that care about him want him to change. We, as viewers, are hoping he'll change. And every season it looks like he's on the path towards progress.

    But then he doesn't. He slips back into his old damaged ways. He pushes those people who care for him further and further away. Over. And over. Again.

    And that is a far more uncomfortably realistic depiction of self destruction than a show about a horse has any right to portray.

    That he's still awful shouldn't be interpreted as he's not making change.
    The Bojack we see in Season 5 is far more capable of maintaining and developing normal relationships than in Season 1, for instance. Until addiction overtakes him he has a reasonably healthy and normal relationship with Gina and is unselfishly happy for her success. He's working on a relationship with his half-sister, stumbling though it may be.

    He's also largely moved on from his parents, especially with his mother's death and the events of Season 4.
    S5 is notable in that his honestly sympathetic substance abuse drives a lot of his failures rather than his mental illness turning him to substance abuse. Bojack at is at least moving towards being ok until he hurts himself.
    This is why it feels weird to me that the creators of the show were afraid that people might be too sympathetic towards BoJack or identify with him too much. They said that in interviews and alluded to it in the show, but BoJack's downfall in this season wasn't even really his fault. Princess Caroline had him put on painkillers and Diane made him paranoid by broaching a sensitive topic in the shittiest way possible.

    The guy needs someone who cares about him consistently, but the only person like that is Hollyhock and BoJack doesn't want to get her involved and screw up her life. Everyone else is either too busy with their own lives to help or isn't inclined to.

    I do wonder a bit why BoJack was so resistant to therapy.
    That's actually something I like about this season. Bojack has done lots of shitty things that have made his life worse in the past. But in this season, there are shitty things that happen to him. Some of them are his fault, some of them are others faults, some are more complicated than that (Yes, Princess Caroline had him put on painkillers, but Bojack is the one who was too prideful to back down from doing his own stunt work, so I think it is a bit unfair to say it is entirely her fault.). And regardless of who caused that shitty thing, a big part of how it influences your life is your reaction to it. So here we have Bojack, who is trying to become a better person, desperately crawling towards becoming something stable and healthy. And the world keeps kicking him down. And then he kicks himself for getting kicked down, for added measure, because the only thing he knows for sure is that he is a terrible person who deserves to be kicked.

    It compliments the rest of the series quite well, imo. This isn't me trying to be contentious or anything, just ranting about something I enjoyed.

    I can't wait for the next season, but part of me really hopes it wraps up sooner rather than later. The show isn't overstaying its welcome by any means, but I want it to end while it is still so damn good.

    TDawg on
    NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
    Legacy
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Is this show going to end with Bojack death?

  • SealSeal Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Burnage wrote: »
    The thing that really gets me about this show is that at the end of every season Bojack looks like he might be finally taking some steps to change. He wants to change. The people that care about him want him to change. We, as viewers, are hoping he'll change. And every season it looks like he's on the path towards progress.

    But then he doesn't. He slips back into his old damaged ways. He pushes those people who care for him further and further away. Over. And over. Again.

    And that is a far more uncomfortably realistic depiction of self destruction than a show about a horse has any right to portray.

    That he's still awful shouldn't be interpreted as he's not making change.
    The Bojack we see in Season 5 is far more capable of maintaining and developing normal relationships than in Season 1, for instance. Until addiction overtakes him he has a reasonably healthy and normal relationship with Gina and is unselfishly happy for her success. He's working on a relationship with his half-sister, stumbling though it may be.

    He's also largely moved on from his parents, especially with his mother's death and the events of Season 4.
    S5 is notable in that his honestly sympathetic substance abuse drives a lot of his failures rather than his mental illness turning him to substance abuse. Bojack at is at least moving towards being ok until he hurts himself.
    This is why it feels weird to me that the creators of the show were afraid that people might be too sympathetic towards BoJack or identify with him too much. They said that in interviews and alluded to it in the show, but BoJack's downfall in this season wasn't even really his fault. Princess Caroline had him put on painkillers and Diane made him paranoid by broaching a sensitive topic in the shittiest way possible.

    The guy needs someone who cares about him consistently, but the only person like that is Hollyhock and BoJack doesn't want to get her involved and screw up her life. Everyone else is either too busy with their own lives to help or isn't inclined to.

    I do wonder a bit why BoJack was so resistant to therapy.
    Because his father taught him that people who talk about and express their emotions do so only to manipulate others. Compounded by his mother reacting to anything he did with either indifference or contempt, he's been conditioned through negative feedback to repress his feelings about everything. That shit is wedged into his brain and it's why he looks half-panicked when Hollyhock said "I love you" and waited for a reply.

    IncenjucarKing RiptordoomybearLoisLanefurlion
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Is this show going to end with Bojack death?
    Part of me is afraid so. I mean, he is over fifty with a history of drug and alcohol abuse.

    That's why I can't help but be very sympathetic towards BoJack. Like, most of his life has already been fucked by his mental and behavioral issues and things he did because of their influence over him.

    Hexmage-PA on
    Friend Code: 1590-5696-7916
    Friend Safari Type: Rock
  • DonnictonDonnicton Hey it's me, your old pal Movie Sonic - let me in. LEMME IN. Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Is this show going to end with Bojack death?
    Part of me is afraid so. I mean, he is over fifty with a history of drug and alcohol abuse.

    That's why I can't help but be very sympathetic towards BoJack. Like, most of his life has already been fucked by his mental and behavioral issues and things he did because of their influence over him.
    God no, if they pulled the "he finally gets the breakthrough he needs and the resolution to turn his life around for real this time...and then he dies immediately after" it will permanently sour me on the show. It would be the most cliche ridiculous Harvey Birdman-esque ending for a show that has been wholly too intelligent about that sort of thing so far.

    FencingsaxLegacy
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Is this show going to end with Bojack death?
    Part of me is afraid so. I mean, he is over fifty with a history of drug and alcohol abuse.

    That's why I can't help but be very sympathetic towards BoJack. Like, most of his life has already been fucked by his mental and behavioral issues and things he did because of their influence over him.
    God no, if they pulled the "he finally gets the breakthrough he needs and the resolution to turn his life around for real this time...and then he dies immediately after" it will permanently sour me on the show. It would be the most cliche ridiculous Harvey Birdman-esque ending for a show that has been wholly too intelligent about that sort of thing so far.

    Speaking of Harvey Birdman, I wonder how they write themselves out of the corner.

    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    No one announces stuff quite like Bojack's Twitter account.

    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    monikerdoomybearTOGSolidAbsoluteZeroRoad BlockWiseManTobesDonnictonSealLoisLaneIncenjucarGiggles_FunsworthFencingsaxAbsalonBurnageSyngyneCojo MojoMartini_PhilosopherjungleroomxMatev
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Why does every time cantaloupe get invited to something it thinks it can bring along it's dumb friend honeydew

    Honeydew is garbage fruit!

    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    DonnictonLegacySealLoisLaneEddyAimTOGSolidMatev
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    hot take: cantaloupe and honeydew are both garbage fruits

    FYYss9j.png
    skyknytLoisLaneAphostilefurlionTOGSolid
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    hot take: cantaloupe and honeydew are both garbage fruits

    Yoshi is gonna be pissed

    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Whenever I buy a little honeydew&cantaloupe bowl I am admitting to myself I don't know which is which and I find that I like both of them and that they actually pair pretty well, flavorwise

    Those snooty LA writers are killing the honeydew industry!!!

    “Even as a gengar she was lovely.” ― Ovid, Metamorphoses
    CelestialBadgerFry
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Cantaloupe is the disgusting one, honeydew is the revolting one.

    FYYss9j.png
    FryLegacy
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar Audio Game Developer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    This is the new War on Broccoli or War on Pinapple on Pizza.

  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Man, you would do well with my brother in law.

    Me? I just like melons

    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
    IncenjucarGiggles_FunsworthAimjungleroomx
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Watermelon is good but it has the problem where someone starts cutting one up for a fruit salad and oh god it's so much bigger than all the other fruits and now the fruit salad is like 80% watermelon.

    FYYss9j.png
    CptHamiltonLegacy
  • AphostileAphostile Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    This is the new War on Broccoli or War on Pinapple on Pizza.

    What about... broccoli on pizza?

    Tinychat is dead. Long live Tinychat. D3 BTag: Aphostile#1366 : Steam - ADD ME JERKS : | Xbox Live : LastAphostile | PS4 : Aphostile
    CptHamiltonLegacy
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Last time I ate pizza, it was (no joke) with Nutella* and ice cream. (No other toppings.)

    *Chocolate- and hazelnut-flavored spread you normally put on sandwiches

    Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Aphostile wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    This is the new War on Broccoli or War on Pinapple on Pizza.

    What about... broccoli on pizza?

    Broccoli, cauliflower, artichoke, spinach, etc etc are all fantastic on pizza

    I suspect the haters are all undernourished chuds

    “Even as a gengar she was lovely.” ― Ovid, Metamorphoses
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    Aphostile wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    This is the new War on Broccoli or War on Pinapple on Pizza.

    What about... broccoli on pizza?

    Broccoli, cauliflower, artichoke, spinach, etc etc are all fantastic on pizza

    I suspect the haters are all undernourished chuds

    Broccoli would go good with like a cheddar sauce base, some onions, a bit of steak.

    Damn. I know what im making at work tomorrow

    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx Spicy Rudolph Registered User regular
    Watermelon is good but it has the problem where someone starts cutting one up for a fruit salad and oh god it's so much bigger than all the other fruits and now the fruit salad is like 80% watermelon.

    I don't see that as a problem.

    Make. Time.
    DonnictonFryJohnny ChopsockyTOGSolid
Sign In or Register to comment.