As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bojack Horseman: Free Churros

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Wow, Jessica Biel is an unBielievably good sport.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    I'm nearing the end of s4

I have enjoyed each season, but this feels like by far the best one

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Thoughts now that I finished the season
    Surprisingly enough episode 11 wasn't as harsh as I was expecting. Sure it wasn't exactly light hearted and I really want to throttle Beatrice's dad. But episodes 2, 6 and 9 were all harder for me emotionally.

Have to say I'm happy it ended on a fairly positive note. Not perfect especially with Diane and Mr Peanutbutter but it was nice to see some positive outcomes.

Hope we see more of Hollyhawk. I'll admit I was a bit concerned she'd be the annoying/obnoxious teenager but she was really likable.

Stand Out episodes:

2: God damn that was brutal. But it was brilliantly put together. My favorite episode of the show thus far. I just hope we see Eddie again.

5: Some amazing comedy about a really terrible thing. I think we need some of that from time to time.

6: A very creative and effective look at depression.

7: Damn near everything about this episode was hilarious. The Ants, Poor Governor Woodchuck, Drunk Diane, Pyrocannible Jessica Biel. And the awkward "Wanna get Ethiopian" conversation at the end.

9: I will say the Bojack/Diane plotline could have been cut without losing anything. But the Rufie twist was brilliant and had me really feeling for Princess Caroline. I also really hope she rehires Judah.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    I think there is a chance that season 5's "thread" will be the people around Bojack messing things up for themselves the way he did, and Bojack either changing because of it or trying his best to fix things, perhaps conscripting Todd for the endeavor. There would be constant tension since the viewer would know Bojack wouldn't be able to fix things magically (because they would know that would be too lazy a plot development), but they would instead be on needles wondering whether Bojack would make things worse or at least a little bit better.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Last episode really hit me.
    I'm 12 years older than my sister and I always wonder if she has room in her life for her dopey big brother, so the line, "...but I never had a brother before..." and BoJack's smile just hit me like a ton of bricks.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Diane's ringtone this season is the best yet.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Absalon wrote: »
    I think there is a chance that season 5's "thread" will be the people around Bojack messing things up for themselves the way he did, and Bojack either changing because of it or trying his best to fix things, perhaps conscripting Todd for the endeavor. There would be constant tension since the viewer would know Bojack wouldn't be able to fix things magically (because they would know that would be too lazy a plot development), but they would instead be on needles wondering whether Bojack would make things worse or at least a little bit better.

We definitely got that already with Princess Carolyn.
    Granted she was lashing out over the stress of Judah's secrecy, Ralph's family, the miscarriage, etc. But she definitely wrecked an overall good relationship and put her business in danger. And the show played up the tension on just how bad it was she forged Bojack's name on the contract, since she kept not being able to get in touch with him. Bojack interrupting her anguished apology with a simple "I'll do it" was such a great moment for both Carolyn and Bojack, especially after everything he just went through caused him to stop fighting and be satisfied with his life (at least for now).

Personally, my concern is whether Todd will be able to keep his somehow-successful business and new relationship in the next season.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I don't know how much Todd is willing to put up with Bojack anymore

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I think the guy who wrote the script Philbert is secretly Judah having shaved.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    So

Episode 11

I'm just gonna lay in the fetal position for a few hours

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Yeah, it seems like the penultimaye episode of the season is usually the roughest.

Also plays with time in interesting ways

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    they dropped the single F-bomb relatively early this season

Episode 11 was the biggest "holy shit" episode, but I think Princess Carolyn's had a longer lasting effect on me.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    skyknyt wrote: »
    So is Zach Braff!

Sadly his meat did not last till morning
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Eh
    I think Todd still needs to realize that he was just as codependent on Bojack. Rebuilding their relationship is gonna be part of that process. He still obviously sees him as somebody he cares about or he wouldn't have even given him a second chance

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    skyknyt wrote: »
    So is Zach Braff!

Sadly his meat did not last till morning
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Eh
    I think Todd still needs to realize that he was just as codependent on Bojack. Rebuilding their relationship is gonna be part of that process. He still obviously sees him as somebody he cares about or he wouldn't have even given him a second chance
    The Show is very careful about its use of the word Fuck

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    This season has emotionally destroyed me and I'm not even done. Classic Bojack.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Last episode really hit me.
    I'm 12 years older than my sister and I always wonder if she has room in her life for her dopey big brother, so the line, "...but I never had a brother before..." and BoJack's smile just hit me like a ton of bricks.
    I just finished and yeah... my siblings are all 10+ years older than me. And since it was a "broken" family I didn't spend much time around them until I was in my early 20s. Got all choked up at that scene.

Quid on
  • Options
    Quid wrote: »
    Diane's ringtone this season is the best yet.

I hope next season is Wait Wait don't tell me

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    The whole Diane and Mr Peanutbutter thing has always felt forced to me. At no point does she seem to actually, genuinely like him. To me anyways. Maybe that's what they are going for, though.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    The whole Diane and Mr Peanutbutter thing has always felt forced to me. At no point does she seem to actually, genuinely like him. To me anyways. Maybe that's what they are going for, though.

this reminded me of Bojack's first reaction to finding out they were dating. Which reminded me of Felicity Huffman's line about the pile of cotton candy puke on her property.

goddamn this show is great.

• Options

I think she does but she doesnt know how to deal with his relentless optimism and good nature.
    As her family showcased Bojack is the type of person she can handle but she knows that's toxic and only indulges as a release.

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    Welp.

Just finished the season.

It was excellent. But so emotionally draining that I don't see watching it again.

Maybe after season five comes through and this is just another component of the overall story arc.

But not as the current end.

Still some of the best story telling around nowadays. Which is amazing when you consider it's a Netflix show.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    S4 Ep 11
    Maybe I missed it, but given how good this show is with background jokes and scene transition jokes involving animals, I kinda thought there'd be a direct reference to the Velveteen Rabbit story, since Bea's past basically includes it wholesale minus the magic fairy.

I mean, yeah, kind of a serious moment to slip something like that in, but the plot almost seemed like a direct lift at points.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular

I think she does but she doesnt know how to deal with his relentless optimism and good nature.
    As her family showcased Bojack is the type of person she can handle but she knows that's toxic and only indulges as a release.

That and Mr. PB's goals are mostly just about being liked and he has little in the way of morales or ethics, while she's all about those.

• Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »

That and Mr. PB's goals are mostly just about being liked and he has little in the way of morales or ethics, while she's all about those.

They really only mentioned it in season 1, but Mr Peanutbutter is actually a nihilist, you just dont notice it because of his cheerful demenour. He doesnt think that anything matters and life is just a pointless excersize in futility, so the key to happiness is to distract yourself with ridiculous nonsense until you die.

• Options
    the little parts where Mr. Peanutbutter's chipper attitude cracks are super interesting characterization; it would have been easy to make him a one-note character, but once in a while he lets his nihilist view through, or snaps at Diane for suggesting his brother might be hiding something.

I may have said it before, but IMO, Mr. Peanutbutter is Paul F. Tompkins' perfect role in the same way Louise Belcher is for Kristen Schaal.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    My favorite part of the season was the asexual French bulldog that was featured for about 5 seconds

x9ibc2wiiow7.jpg

• Options
    I almost forgot, now I have to rewatch the season a hundred times to pick up all the background jokes.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    the little parts where Mr. Peanutbutter's chipper attitude cracks are super interesting characterization; it would have been easy to make him a one-note character, but once in a while he lets his nihilist view through, or snaps at Diane for suggesting his brother might be hiding something.

I may have said it before, but IMO, Mr. Peanutbutter is Paul F. Tompkins' perfect role in the same way Louise Belcher is for Kristen Schaal.

My favorite moment of characterization was the end of season 2 when he sees Diane in a restaurant.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    There's just so much wonderful stuff going on in the background.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Wow, the dementia stuff really hit home for me. My grandmother got it a few years after her daughter/my mother passed, but her memory was "stuck" before that. Whenever I talked with her, one of the following would happen:

1. She would just not recognize me, and visiting her just felt like inflicting the awkwardness of a stranger on her. This eventually became the preferable event, because otherwise (EDIT: I dont' mean, like ACTUALLY preferable of course, just the occasional less painful option:
    2. She would recognize me, but ask after her daughter, so I would have to break the news to her for for the umpteenth time that her daughter is dead, and her reaction was never "Oh yeah, I remember." It was always as if it was a fresh wound. Try doing that once a month or so.
    3. Or she would recognize me, ask after her daughter, and I could lie to her face, which felt shitty by itself, while also imagining the life my mother might be having at the moment if she hadn't died on top of that. That is not as painful as watching someone grief for their child, but still plenty hard. As you can imagine, Bojack's lie felt somewhat familiar. I tried to stick to the truth with her for a good while, but eventually...not so much. It might sound kind of amoral, but inflicting the second option on them isn't exactly merciful, either.

Maybe my grandma had it unusually bad, but that stuff is just impossible to deal with. I thought they did a good job presenting it.

Darlan on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Darlan wrote: »
    Wow, the dementia stuff really hit home for me. My grandmother got it a few years after her daughter/my mother passed, but her memory was "stuck" before that. Whenever I talked with her, one of the following would happen:

1. She would just not recognize me, and visiting her just felt like inflicting the awkwardness of a stranger on her. This eventually became the preferable event, because otherwise:
    2. She would recognize me, but ask after her daughter, so I would have to break the news to her for for the umpteenth time that her daughter is dead, and her reaction was never "Oh yeah, I remember." It was always as if it was a fresh wound. Try doing that once a month or so.
    3. Or she would recognize me, ask after her daughter, and I could lie to her face, which felt shitty by itself, while also imagining the life my mother might be having at the moment if she hadn't died on top of that. That is not as painful as watching someone grief for their child, but still plenty hard. As you can imagine, Bojack's lie felt somewhat familiar. I tried to stick to the truth with her for a good while, but eventually...not so much. It might sound kind of amoral, but inflicting the second option on them isn't exactly merciful, either.

Maybe my grandma had it unusually bad, but that stuff is just impossible to deal with. I thought they did a good job presenting it.

Yup.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Yeah that season was fantastic. They really focused on what made the show good. It was a dark season, really dark. But at the same time we got to see Bojack grow just a bit and actually make a real connection and the season ended on a powerful high note.

To me, the hardest hitting part was the end of Princess Caroline's episode when she explained how she coped with bad days and it became clear that the open... God damn... It was at that moment you realized that this isn't a sitcom, it isn't going to all work out in the end. She almost completely destroyed her entire life, perhaps irreparably.

furbat on
  • Options
    furbat wrote: »
    Yeah that season was fantastic. They really focused on what made the show good. It was a dark season, really dark. But at the same time we got to see Bojack grow just a bit and actually make a real connection and the season ended on a powerful high note.

To me, the hardest hitting part was the end of Princess Caroline's episode when she explained how she coped with bad days and it became clear that the open... God damn... It was at that moment you realized that this isn't a sitcom, it isn't going to all work out in the end. She almost completely destroyed her entire life, perhaps irreparably.

That fucking Rabbit ruins everything

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Haha, he does. But in all fairness, she ruined everything. She destroyed her relationship, fired a loyal and highly competent second hand, and nearly destroyed her career. I think of all the shit that happened this season that was the most relatable for me. In one day she did an awful lot of damage for a pretty understandable reason.

furbat on
  • Options
    Well... she ruined everything.

He kicked it off and he was clearly trying to seduce her at points. PC isn't blameless but outside factors didn't help

• Options
    edited September 2017

He kicked it off and he was clearly trying to seduce her at points. PC isn't blameless but outside factors didn't help

I guess what I got out of the episode was completely different.

You have a highly competent individual who couldn't deal with something that well, isn't easy to deal with. We also found out this was the 5th time it had happened. She drove everyone close to her away and nearly destroyed her career and did something highly illegal. She could have been honest about her miscarriages. Should also could have considered other options. But she didn't. She had a melt down and pretty much everything that happened that day was a result of a decision she made. And in one very bad day she did a lot of damage...

furbat on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Honestly he did the opposite this season, and it was almost worse given the situation.
    The two of them get into a fantastic work groove, only for it to come to a crashing halt when he insists on leaving work at 6 to spend time with his family. Which is great for him, but served as a sharp reminder of the family PC craved but couldn't get.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    So I was watching the old episode (in Season 2 I think?) where Bojack's owl girlfriend tells him the joke about the bag of mulch.

Annnnd I don't get it.

Even after the second part told later about the jealous boyfriend. It still just seems like a story, not a joke. Yet Bojack says it's really good?

Am I missing something?

RT800 on
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    So I was watching the old episode (in Season 2 I think?) where Bojack's owl girlfriend tells him the joke about the bag of mulch.

Annnnd I don't get it.

Even after the second part told later about the jealous boyfriend. It still just seems like a story, not a joke. Yet Bojack says it's really good?

Am I missing something?

The teo stories seem unrelated until the mulch reappears which is unexpectes because its a different story.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    RT800 wrote: »

Annnnd I don't get it.

Am I missing something?

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BrickJoke

normally I avoid tvtropes links but this is the most concise explanation google dredged up

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.