As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [chat] Who Circumnavigated Fairyland

• Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular

I wonder if they've fixed the n-Trig issues. This seems squarely targeted at artists and creative professionals, so it'll be pretty bad if it still has jittery lines and such.

If they've fixed the stylus: This could finally be the Cintiq killer.

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    What nTrig issues?

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I think it's pretty clear that they are gunning for Wacom's market. I'm hoping the healthy competition makes them sweat and drive down the prices of these devices, because replacing tablets is a hellish expense on artists. Its going to take a few iterations of this thing to get to that level, but I'm hoping they keep at it.

I have to wait though. I want to see a few thorough reviews, and there is some downside to having you tablet be your full computer. It's probably not very upgradeable, if your tablet is broken, so is your whole computer, and you probably aren't going to be able to stick a wacom on that thing as back up without all your drivers going to shit.

It is MUCH sleeker than anything wacom puts out. I wish they had stuck with microsoft instead of being gooses and pulling out of the surface.

• Options
    LampLamp Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    The Surface Studio looks like my dream computer. Really puts Wacom to shame in terms of design and aesthetics. Really makes you think about how Wacom has been dragging their feet for years in terms of hardware. No competition will do that to you, I guess!

And while I understand the concerns about an all-in-one (what if something breaks?), the thing that mitigates this issue for me somewhat is the existence of Microsoft stores. If you live in a large-ish city, you probably have one of those in easy driving distance, so it basically works on the Apple model. You get the computer, pay a few hundred for the extended warranty, and if anything breaks you take it in and they give you a refurb unit. No need to ship a computer to the Dell factory or wherever across the country and wait three weeks while they maybe repair it, maybe not. Honestly, though, well-made computers seem pretty hardy to me these days. I haven't had anything fail in quite a few years, and I've gone through a lot of gadgets.

I also think the hardware specs look good enough to last anyone for the next five years, easy. And by that time, you'd probably want to upgrade whatever you were working on regardless of whether of what it was.

At least those would be my rationalizations were I planning to buy one. Lucky for me, I work as a tech journalist for my day job, and Microsoft is shipping me one to review sometime in the next few weeks. Sadly I definitely will not get to keep it, but I'll get to play with it for a couple of weeks. I'll report back with my thoughts!

In the meantime, Mike Krahulik did a neat writeup about spending a week with the Surface Studio: https://www.penny-arcade.com/news/post/2016/10/26/the-surface-studio

Lamp on
  • Options
    @Lamp, thats awesome. I look forward to your review. Be sure to spend some time focusing on the little dial accessory, because apparently that's also going to work with the latest surface book.

I like Gabe a lot, but since he doesn't paint/render, I always take his praise with a grain of salt. I need my tablet to do a lot of different things. But as someone who took a risk on yiynova to pretty alright results, I'm open to new hardware and new experiences when drawing at my PC, and hope the market just continues to open up.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Yeah, I agree about Mike. But I'm personally already sold on the Surface tech for painting. So it's nice to just hear someone talk about the hardware itself.

I'm pretty skeptical about that dial, but that's probably because I'm married to my old keyboard shortcuts and I'm scared of change. Wacom's ExpressKey Remote seems like a much more practical (if less novel) solution, if you want a little gizmo to stick on your screen. But I'm looking forward to fiddling with it regardless!

Lamp on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Not a chance I'll actually buy one of those things, but in general I'm positive about any competitor potentially coming in and kicking over Wacom's sandcastle. It's a market that is in desperate need of real competition.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    It's depressing to think that MS will probably never launch a version of the Surface screen as a standalone display, ala the Cintiq. I think they'll probably have decent success selling these things to studios who can afford to write off the expense and replace them with a newer model after a few years. I already talked to some art folks at the games studio where my SO works and they want to buy some. But the independent artist category just seems to be too niche to get real competition in terms of big, affordable art displays from major manufacturers. But who knows, maybe I'll be proven wrong when we see the launch of Surface Display next year.

Lamp on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Scosglen wrote: »
    Not a chance I'll actually buy one of those things, but in general I'm positive about any competitor potentially coming in and kicking over Wacom's sandcastle. It's a market that is in desperate need of real competition.

Yep, this is my feeling on it too.

• Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    What nTrig issues?

When you draw slowly you get jittery lines. I've also heard some people reporting that there are problems with the pressure sensitivity going wonky and creating weird tapers on lines.

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    Iruka wrote: »
    It is MUCH sleeker than anything wacom puts out. I wish they had stuck with microsoft instead of being gooses and pulling out of the surface.

I believe that they dropped out because associating the Wacom name with a computer that you can also draw on would cannibalize their products. Why would you buy a 13in Wacom display when you can get a 13in Windows tablet that you can draw on? I love and hate Wacom.

Edit:
    BTW, you guys. Here in Japan Wacom screens are in every doctor's office. I've also seen Wacom digitizers for when you pay with a credit card.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    When you draw slowly you get jittery lines.

This is technically true but only when you drag your stylus very, VERY slowly and deliberately across the screen, in my experience. Every time I've tried to recreate the issue I've thought, "eesh, people actually draw like this?" Personally I drew on the SP3 for a year before I ever even heard about the jittery lines issue, and I don't think I would have ever noticed myself. But hey, I guess everyone draws differently. If you have a very slow drawing style and want to do super-crisp comic book inks then it might be an issue. But for example, Mike Krahulik does crisp comic book inks for Penny Arcade and he's a Surface fanboy. For painters it's a non-issue, I remember Noah Bradley was cranking out gorgeous paintings start to finish on the SP3 when it first launched, if that example helps. So I'd still say that people should try it out for themselves before passing judgement, because I've heard a lot of artists say they would never consider a Surface because they heard this online. I also don't know if the tech has improved in models newer than the Pro 3.
    I believe that they dropped out because associating the Wacom name with a computer that you can also draw on would cannibalize their products. Why would you buy a 13in Wacom display when you can get a 13in Windows tablet that you can draw on? I love and hate Wacom.

Yeah, it's interesting because Wacom has no problem sticking their tech into other 2-in-1 laptops. For example all the ThinkPad fold-back laptops have Wacom digitizers in them. It's all about marketing I guess. ThinkPads aren't marketed as art computers so there's no problem sticking Wacom tech in them.

Lamp on
  • Options
    Edit:
    BTW, you guys. Here in Japan Wacom screens are in every doctor's office. I've also seen Wacom digitizers for when you pay with a credit card.

Wow, really? That's quite the surprise to me! I thought they were pretty much universally only used by artists, with the rare outlier.

If I was a doctor with a Wacom I'd make sure to draw a picture of everybody's problems like this:

999c02c4aba3bdf3b6fdf3c757f8ef99.jpg

• Options
    They're a different model from the Cintiqs, they kinda look like this.

But, I've never seen anything beyond the doctor writing something for a couple of seconds and checking some boxes. The credit card digitizer I've only seen a handful of times, but it was super smooth writing.

BTW, my Japanese proficiency is good enough to go to the doctor by myself, but still bad enough to get thrown off by a word that I should know like "lungs"

• Options
    SeveredHeadSeveredHead Registered User regular
    hey guys i need some advice/help on something in my presentation posted below, i would think that everything around her arm pit would be pretty dark in shadow, how the hell is that crease so highlighted? is it from the bounce light from her torso? im just confused on how that crease is so well light.
    pS5V1Do.jpg

• Options
    is it from the bounce light from her torso?

Pretty much. Bounce light from her torso and also the ground. Notice how the places facing downward are lighter, while the planes sideways (to the right) and foward (toward the front) are darker. They're not getting as much bounce light from the figure and environment.

• Options
    AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    What's up my dudes.

I have moved to Seattle. Does anyone else here live nearby? I would love to say hi.

please help I am very depressed

• Options
    I think there are a few AC folk still in Seattle.

@Agentflit how long have you been there?

• Options
    edited November 2016
    So much happening in the drawing tablet market lately. Wacom just announced a 16-inch pen display that basically looks like the 27QHD, but scaled down. (They also have a redesigned 13 incher): These aren't the "Mobile Studio" things that have a PC built in -- these are just the traditional Cintiqs. http://eu.shop.wacom.eu/download?id=63&region=us&_ga=1.266008975.183366927.1472377516

Pretty cool, seems like the thing that people have been waiting on for a long time. The Cintiq 13 was just too small, and the bigger models are huge and pricey. So I think a LOT of people are gonna be eager to pick up the new 16 incher. I wonder if they'll ever get around to updating the ancient and terrible 22-inch models. Maybe they think that will encroach on their 27 sales.

Lamp on
  • Options
    I wonder how much those shits are going to cost. I was just looking at the off brands in the same general area of product, because I want to build a third PC (for the TV) and have a tablet for it so my boyfriend can digitally draw when we are having a relaxing day on the couch. It seems like the problem with the 13HD was that it was small, bulky, and the cords sucked, so it was a sub optimal solution.

If I build a gaming rig for my TV, there's no reason to not attach a tablet to it, I just don't want that shit to cost 1k on its own for no good goddamn reason.

• Options
    AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    @Iruka About a month. My wife is going to graduate school for sculpture at UW. c:

• Options
    If I build a gaming rig for my TV, there's no reason to not attach a tablet to it, I just don't want that shit to cost 1k on its own for no good goddamn reason.

My guess is that the 13 incher will hold onto the $800 price point of the current 13HD, and the 16 will be around $1k (if not a little higher). Maybe add an extra $200 to each price point for a touch-enabled version. That's Wacom for you!

• Options
    Lamp wrote: »

My guess is that the 13 incher will hold onto the $800 price point of the current 13HD, and the 16 will be around $1k (if not a little higher). Maybe add an extra $200 to each price point for a touch-enabled version. That's Wacom for you!

:x I hope you're wrong but I know you're right.

@Agentflit Thats awesome! Congrats to her!

also, I'm sure Seattle is full of meet-up groups. If you are feeling shut in, you should try to put yourself out there. Making friends as an adult is lame as hell, but the internet has helped a bit.

• Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    *looks around* Good hell! I remember this place. The nostalgia wafts over my quivering nostrils. Do people still art here? Or maybe everyone migrated to work at Pixar or something. There was a McGibs fellow, and a guy with a penchant for bacon.. Ooh! Iruka's still here!

• Options
    sup bog

• Options
    Yes hello!

• Options
    Heyoooo

• Options
    So many of these pictures are stunning, but this one really struck me. So goddamn beautiful, ethereal, magical smokey. It's a net!

http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2016/11/12/501000583/absolutely-gorgeous-photos-reveal-the-beauty-in-a-hard-life

01_4837_opencolor_custom-b3c0f1c019aa369859c5c0bc0fa9254db382cbaa-s1300-c85.jpg

• Options
    Hey Bog!

• Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    So many of these pictures are stunning, but this one really struck me. So goddamn beautiful, ethereal, magical smokey. It's a net!

http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2016/11/12/501000583/absolutely-gorgeous-photos-reveal-the-beauty-in-a-hard-life

01_4837_opencolor_custom-b3c0f1c019aa369859c5c0bc0fa9254db382cbaa-s1300-c85.jpg

Oh man, these are amazing O_O The second photo of the fisherman floating on the Euphrates river has me beside myself.

I have been up for four hours now, changed my sleep schedule, blocked off a day and a half from work so that I could do Matterport scans of Denver's Union Station. I made myself a nice big helping of my favorite coffee to help me wake up a little more for my task ahead (would have taken about 3 hours total to scan the place and it was 2:00am). Upon arrival at Union Station I see a crew buffing the floors. Since it's a 3D scan using laser and photography technology I can't have people moving around. Walk to the security guard and let him know I'm here as he was supposed to be notified. Apparently wasn't notified or scheduling changed and he didn't get the memo. You'd think this would have gone a bit smoother as I've been communicating with Union Station for about a month now.

The next attempt I'll just have to be much more thorough in hammering everything out I guess. I'm not too upset but man my sleep schedule is all sorts of messed up now haha. So the rest of my week should be interesting to say the least.

TLDR: Prosp vents about miscommunication. As digital as everything is now, seems as though having a physical, printed verification is still the only way to go.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    If anyone is wondering, yes I will be setting up the AC Secret Santa Signups shortly. You can email acsecretsanta@gmail.com with your forum name to signup in the meantime and I will get a thread up tomorrow night or so. I'm out of town right now.

• Options
    Im still in, as always

• Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    H'oh my this place survived the blast, did it.

header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    Sup Squid!

Its sorta slow these days but still the same old AC, basically.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Here I am, going to my first day of art school at the age of 31
    It's really happening
    I hope everything will go well *sweat

• Options
    Remember, if the other kids bully you, find an adult!

• Options
    @Peas that's amazing, congrats! What kinda art school is it?

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    http://3dsense.net/index.php/programs/digitaldesign-diploma/concept-design-and-illustration

I will be there for a year
    The teachers seems really passionate so far, hopefully I will be able to produce decent stuff for an actual portfolio by the end of the course

Peas on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Congrats Peas! Work hard and make the most of it! :D

Flay on