Due to a security update, you may have to reset your password. Don’t panic, nothing has gone wrong and your password is safe. If you don’t have access to that email, send Tube a message at [email protected] More info here: https://status.vanillaforums.com/incidents/2zdqxf3bt7mj
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

The [chat] Who Circumnavigated Fairyland

1454647484951»

• AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    Hey y'all, I feel like this might be the best place to ask this. A while back, years ago, someone posted these amazing bits of art somewhere on the forum.. It was nature macro photography, with tiny fantasy architecture features drawn into them by hand. There was a stump with a cliffside village, and a roman coliseum on a mushroom, and others I don't remember the specifics of. Anyone remember these? I've been googling everything I can think of, but haven't seen a trace.

• bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    Atheraal wrote: »
    Hey y'all, I feel like this might be the best place to ask this. A while back, years ago, someone posted these amazing bits of art somewhere on the forum.. It was nature macro photography, with tiny fantasy architecture features drawn into them by hand. There was a stump with a cliffside village, and a roman coliseum on a mushroom, and others I don't remember the specifics of. Anyone remember these? I've been googling everything I can think of, but haven't seen a trace.

Do you remember if it was the artist posting them here or just a shared thing? It doesn't really ring a bell to me.

tynic
  • AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    I don't think it was the artist posting them.. I remember people being really into them though, and rightly so, they were fantastic. I'm actually not even sure if they were posted here in the AC, might have been in a different part of the forum.

• DidgeridooDidgeridoo Registered User regular
    Atheraal I have tried every combination of terms I can think of over the last few weeks and I cannot figure it out. Closest I've gotten is "fairy garden" drawings and such, but I don't think it's what you're after. I was really hoping to find 'em because they sound super cool!

On another note, I finally strayed into the 'art resources' part of the forum and the Drawabox stuff is exactly what I was looking for. Remedial drawing stuff like "draw a single line and stop doing chicken scratch" and "drawing from the shoulder is a thing, learn it" is perfect for me. I'm gonna work through it slowly. I really appreciate his advice about doing 50/50 serious learning time to fun doodle time. Thanks @Iruka for putting together the resource section!

Switch Friend Code: SW-0999-1072-9696
    IrukaProspicienceDoodmann
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Glad someone is finding some use out of it. I Siphoned all that stuff off so long ago. I consider rolling it back into the AC, but I think at this point it would over take the couple art posts a month we get.

Didgeridoo
    Okay dumb question but... how can you tell if you're drawing from your shoulder? I'm doing the "ghosting planes" exercise from Drawabox and my lines are coming out with a slight arc to all of em.

I 'ghost' and I'm PRETTY sure the ghosting is from the shoulder, but when I put the pen down to do the line I suspect I might be switching to wrist or elbow for the actual stroke.

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I think one of the benefits of drawing larger, and with softer mediums (Like charcoal gesture drawing) is that it essentially forces you to draw from the shoulder and really feel out the movement. This is harder to replicate digitally, and especially on smaller tablets, in my opinion.

I'm nursing wrist strain that I think is coming from drawing on my Ipad curled up on the couch. Its a freeing device, but the small scale and tiny UI has a negative effect on my position. when I draw at my yiynova, or even in my 11X14 sketchbook, I seem to be a little looser.

Not sure what medium you are tackling, but its something to take into consideration. Get a big ass pad of paper and really exaggerate what it feels like to draw from the shoulder on a few test pages, then go back to "normal" and see how it feels.

tynicDidgeridooDoodmann
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    yeah if you have a big workspace you can use, that'll help feel things out. An easel is ideal, but if you guys have a dining room table just put down the biggest paper you can find and try to consciously hold your wrist and elbow stable while you do sweeps and lines. Not stiff, the movement should still feel fluid, but just make sure the bulk of the arc comes from using your shoulder as a pivot.

Didgeridoo
    Thank you both for the tips! I've been working with pencil and fineliner pens on a sketchpad, curled up in a little ball at my computer desk and both feet propped on the seat so uh that explains a few things.

After trying it out at a big table as you've suggested and actually being able to lean over the surface properly instead of trying to prop up the sketchpad on my knee, I've learned I absolutely was drawing from my elbow before. I was able to make an actual straight line and now I need to start the Drawabox Ghosting Planes lesson over.

Ordered myself a cheapo desktop easel, but for now as long as I'm at a real table I should be able to make do. :P

tynicIruka
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    Hey AC. I'm heading to Seattle. If any1 wants to grab a slice, or some coffee I'll be exploring out here a bit. I've met a couple AC'ers in the past, and so far noone has murdered me yet!

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Man I haven't drawn in almost a month.

I keep meaning to take a reference photo of myself for a half formed idea I have but my camera died and I've been meaning to charge it for like... 3 days.

I think I may have burnout. I just need to do something but huff ugh sigh grumble I just want to sit on the couch and play a video game when I'm not working.