The [chat] Who Circumnavigated Fairyland

1495051525355»

• ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    Hot damn y'all. Thought some people in here might appreciate this, someone in a glitch art group in facebook posted this today and it is INCREDIBLE. Color Converter/picker/buncha stuff: https://pipeworksinc.io/CC

tynicacadia
  • DidgeridooDidgeridoo Registered User regular
    edited August 12
    Aaron Blaise's (Art director and animator on several Disney films like Aladdin, Brother Bear, Lion King, Rescuers Down Under, etc) online animation school continues to have some pretty insane discounts, including offering his Fundamentals of Animation course for free:

https://creatureartteacher.com/

Worth checking out, can't beat the price! I really liked his Photoshop tutorial from Youtube (which is a truncated version of the paid course), and I snagged the human anatomy course which is going for a buck. Haven't tried it yet, but I've downloaded for future use.

Didgeridoo on
    Angel_of_Bacondanx
  • danxdanx Registered User regular
    Windows Ink why are you so trash? I purposefully turned everything Windows Ink related off and changed click settings to avoid common issues people have but of course after an update they were all back and my pen was skipping parts of the line in Krita. It's fixed now that everything is off again.

Angel_of_Bacon
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    danx wrote: »
    Windows Ink why are you so trash? I purposefully turned everything Windows Ink related off and changed click settings to avoid common issues people have but of course after an update they were all back and my pen was skipping parts of the line in Krita. It's fixed now that everything is off again.

I'm with you- I wrote this back in June when I had to basically reinstall everything on my computer from scratch, but had forgotten about Windows Ink- and was so angry when I remembered, 'of course that's why Photoshop still seems so messed up.'
    For PS/Wacom users, Windows Ink is like the villain in a long-running horror movie series- no matter how terrible and played out it is and cliche it becomes, you know that asshole's coming back for one more scare a few years down the line.

danx
    You nailed it! Might make a good comic. In place of a knife there's the windows ink icon.

The skipping was only happening at low pressure. I made the mistake of troubleshooting assuming it was off but wasn't getting anywhere. It was so infuriating to see it there. Lesson learned.

I put a Windows Ink is Evil card in my Anki Tools deck so I never forget.

p8zadms1fqzd.png

• gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Oil painting is a messy, finicky beast, ain't it? The canvas, the brushes, the paint brands, the paint quality, even the different physical origins of paint - burnt umber is thick and muddy, cobalt blue just wants to ooze right out of the tube - and each combination mixing differently with interactions of warm and cold and stronger versus weaker pigments - sap green is wimpy and wants to go brown on you while pthtalo blue laughs at the idea of another color disrupting its power - and oh dear I think I've gone cross eyed.

All of that before you get into the difficulty of edge manipulation, layers of paint interacting and pushing, gamsol and chroma...

I've got a book! Angels, innovations, and the hubris of tiny things: Seraphim
    tynicAngel_of_Baconacadia
  • acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    yeah dude it makes me want to crawl back into the warm, forgiving bosom of digital media forever

• gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Ah, I really love a good art book. They're decadent, really. A little dangerous - all the enjoyment of the art without having to actually get better yourself.

I'm not playing FFXIV: Shadowbringers, but the art book for it is downright sexy. I could see a totally legitimate life goal for a young artist being "I want to be good enough to work on this".

tynicDidgeridoo
    gavindel wrote: »
    Ah, I really love a good art book. They're decadent, really. A little dangerous - all the enjoyment of the art without having to actually get better yourself.

I'm not playing FFXIV: Shadowbringers, but the art book for it is downright sexy. I could see a totally legitimate life goal for a young artist being "I want to be good enough to work on this".

Agreed, art books are a real weakness of mine. I always make the mistake of thinking everyone in the world loves art books as much as I do, and give them as gifts. They never go over quite as well as I would hope, the equivalent of a cat bestowing a murdered chipmunk on its favorite human.

Say, y'all ever flip through your older doodles and just... not know what the fuck you were thinking. Sometimes I worry for past Didge

tynicYoshisummonsAim
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    greed, art books are a real weakness of mine. I always make the mistake of thinking everyone in the world loves art books as much as I do, and give them as gifts. They never go over quite as well as I would hope, the equivalent of a cat bestowing a murdered chipmunk on its favorite human.

That's rough. I'd be stoked if someone got me art books. All I get is clothes and socks. Loads of fucking socks. It doesn't matter how many socks you buy me they'll never be paired!!! Just give up already.

Say, y'all ever flip through your older doodles and just... not know what the fuck you were thinking. Sometimes I worry for past Didge

If by older you mean yesterday sure. It gives me the fear. This book I'm reading right now suggested trying turning thoughts like that into silly songs inside your head like putting them to the tune of jingle bells. Apparently it really works after I stop laughing. Brains are weird.

Didgeridoo
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    https://www.clipstudio.net/en?utm_source=willmail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=mail_2471

Clip studio paint is doing the 50% discount promo again if anyone is interested

5myiokloks5d.png
    Angel_of_Bacondanx
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    I'm just starting to mess with 3d modelling and I'm having a good time with Blender so far. I tried it ONE time YEARS ago and it is very different now and seems a lot less obtuse.
    I'm terrible at it but it's been fun to mess around with. I'm going to try and be consistent to see if I can actually make some progress =p.

Angel_of_BaconPeasDidgeridoo
    My reference board for my current WIP is getting pretty dang weird.

There's a twitter thread I cannot for the life of me find again, but it was full of people posting their weird photos they took for references against the finished works. It was a hoot, I wish I could locate it. One of the best was someone holding a soup ladle at arm's length as reference for a POV piece where the character was holding another person's chin.

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I have a little corner that has a couple swords, a staff, some model guns and tubes of varying sizes because I need to have photos of hands holding things or I cannot draw those hands.

DidgeridooIruka
    Man with gun: "Draw a hand holding a martini from imagination or you're toast!"
    Artists: "You know, it was a good run."