As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

oh god, the dentist

XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
edited July 2015 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm going in tomorrow for the first of 2 appointments for a deep cleaning.

To say I'm nervous at the dentist is an understatement.

I asked about gas, but it's not covered under my insurance and I don't have the $100 they claim it will cost. Does anyone know of anything over the counter I can take to ease my nerves? Is this even an allowed topic? They said they'd use some kind of goop on a q-tip to numb it, but that's just topical and presumably won't help as they poke with their horrible steel hooks and needles.

I'm kind of freaking out a bit. Fortunately, I don't have many cavities, and I'm mostly just there for the cleaning.

vm2omdygzod1.jpg

lasdgb;aeiggkajsdfgvkjabdff

Xaquin on

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Ask about a general anesthetic, like a gel or shot. The gel does work, you just need to give it a bit of time.

Madican on
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Not sure if this is too late, but be very upfront about your anxiety to the dentist.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    Not sure if this is too late, but be very upfront about your anxiety to the dentist.

they know =/

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    its a cleaning. there's no reason to be nervous. the most they'll do is scrape your teeth with a pick

breath deeply and keep your eyes closed. they'll give you sunglasses probably. just take a nap

edited July 2015
    Jasconius wrote: »
    its a cleaning. there's no reason to be nervous. the most they'll do is scrape your teeth with a pick

breath deeply and keep your eyes closed. they'll give you sunglasses probably. just take a nap

they said they'd have to pull the gums back to poke up under

edit: up yours Geth!

Xaquin on
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    That... wow, does not sound fun. I hate the dentist too, I would rather get the scraper than then newer water pressure cleaner they use. I tend to take an ipod with me and have the music playing in my ear.. dulls the sound of whatever they are doing.

There is topical anithestics they can apply to sensative areas. One of my molars is stupid so it gets the goop when they are in that area.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    I was going to opt for the water pressure one .... I figured it'd be gentler than stainless steel?

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I was going to opt for the water pressure one .... I figured it'd be gentler than stainless steel?

its the sound that gets to me, but you may be ok with it.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    not the sound for me .... the feeling of scraping on my teeth.

I can't explain it. Feeling the pick on my teeth is like my own private hell.

edited July 2015

unless they are using some byzantine technique I have not witnessed, that sounds way worse than it really is. your gums really are not that sensitive and you'd be surprised what they can do without it hurting. it's going to feel more like pressure than a needle or a drill

if you ask for novocaine they're going to roll their eyes hard and then give you the bill. a dose of novocaine is not cheap, and it will hurt more than what they plan to do anyway

the injection site for novocaine on your bottom teeth is... well let's just say once they start doing it, you're going to wish you didn't ask

Jasconius on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular

Like he said, this isn't a standard cleaning -- it's a deep cleaning. I believe it's also called scaling. Honestly, it does not sound like a procedure I'd want to go through. I read up on it just before going to the dentist for the first time in 12 years and feared I'd need this under-the-gums scraping thing, but thankfully all I needed was a root canal and a few cavities drilled.

To the OP: I obviously can't give you tips specifically about the procedure, but it's likely that it will be mostly painless during the procedure. Just be prepared to feel sore afterwards and get some ibuprofen or whatever to help with that. I found this site which explains it a bit more and even has a few quotes from people who went through it -- perhaps that will be helpful.

Good luck!

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    A deep cleaning really isn't bad. I'm not trying to minimize your fear - just trying to put it into perspective.

At worst it will be like a rough flossing in that your gums may bleed a bit. It's definitely not what I'd classify as "fun" but it's a completely harmless procedure and I 100% guarantee you will be completely fine.

SteevL wrote: »

Like he said, this isn't a standard cleaning -- it's a deep cleaning. I believe it's also called scaling. Honestly, it does not sound like a procedure I'd want to go through.

i know exactly what it is, I've had it before

oh, I know in the end I'll be fine!

I just have massive anxiety about it. Also, I can't imagine the dentist will appreciate me constantly shrinking back everytime she comes at with me with whatever god-awful implements of destruction she's holding.

btw when they talk about "moving your gums back", gum health is measured in milimeters. all they're going to do is push down you down gums 2-3 milimeters to brush where you wouldn't ordinarily brush

the only thing you're going to feel is the sensation of a pick where previously you've never felt physical contact before. it will be more weird than painful

• Reverend_ChaosReverend_Chaos Suit Up! Spokane WARegistered User regular
    If you can't stand the sight of the implements, close your eyes. Seriously.

I have had the deep cleaning, and while it was not what I would classify as "fun"; it wasn't bad.

My advice, see if they'll let you bring in some headphones and listen to some music.

“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”
  • CalicaCalica Registered User regular

unless they are using some byzantine technique I have not witnessed, that sounds way worse than it really is. your gums really are not that sensitive and you'd be surprised what they can do without it hurting. it's going to feel more like pressure than a needle or a drill

if you ask for novocaine they're going to roll their eyes hard and then give you the bill. a dose of novocaine is not cheap, and it will hurt more than what they plan to do anyway

the injection site for novocaine on your bottom teeth is... well let's just say once they start doing it, you're going to wish you didn't ask

If your teeth are sensitive below the gumline, it can absolutely be that bad. I have a couple of molars that are sensitive just at/below the gums, and when the dentist touches those spots, it can feel like a live wire attached to my tooth.

In any case, yes, the novocaine shot sucks, but it's over quickly. I have a lot of large fillings (bad enamel, apparently), and the shot is easily the worst part of the experience - but it's smooth sailing after that. You just have to decide if being numb is personally worth a few moments of intense (but predictable) pain :)

I'm alive

I feel as though each of my teeth was brutally scraped with a pointed steel hook 5mm below the gum line

Ahh

At least she knew her Little Shop of Horrors

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Well maybe next time you'll brush and floss!

YL9WnCY.png
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Xaquin, if it's anything like what I got last week (20 minutes of repeated jabbing/scraping into my sore gumline), then I feel you. I feel you.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos

I brush thrice a day and use a water pick!

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Deep root cleaning is something most people need every few years or so as an adult even with good hygiene.

But dang! It's torture.

I actually calmed down once she got this weird gel that went between my teeth and made everything almost completely numb. Then she dabbed this q-tip in something that smelled like bananas and coconuts had a terrible accident and swabbed all over my mouth. The only thing I could feel at that point was the horrible scraping on my teeth.

Sadly, I never did find a way to relax through it.

I guess this can be closed now!

And the horrible smell of burning tooth.

• SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    I'm going in tomorrow for the first of 2 appointments for a deep cleaning.

To say I'm nervous at the dentist is an understatement.

I asked about gas, but it's not covered under my insurance and I don't have the $100 they claim it will cost. Does anyone know of anything over the counter I can take to ease my nerves? Is this even an allowed topic? They said they'd use some kind of goop on a q-tip to numb it, but that's just topical and presumably won't help as they poke with their horrible steel hooks and needles.

I'm kind of freaking out a bit. Fortunately, I don't have many cavities, and I'm mostly just there for the cleaning.

vm2omdygzod1.jpg

lasdgb;aeiggkajsdfgvkjabdff

You're getting a cleaning, the topical gel will be more than enough. Believe it or not, dentists don't want their patients in pain, both because it makes it hard to work and also because they are people. If anything hurts to much (and I mean hurt, not pressure or discomfort) just tell them. Also the metal hooks are for scraping plaque primarily and checking for cavities, they won't hurt you

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
    @SCREECH OF THE FARG is ever timely and up to date with these discussions. :)

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

My wife brushes twice and flosses each night, but she still gets cavities every year. Some peoples' enamel just isn't there.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter