As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Windows 7 Pro 32bit RAM question

deathnote666deathnote666 Registered User regular
edited July 2015 in Help / Advice Forum
I am upgrading from 2GB to 4GB. The PC is running Windows 7 Pro 32bit. I have a 4GB RAM stick but windows crashes at the flag screen and reboots. BIOS shows the 4GB stick. I don't have another unit to test the RAM in to see if it's defective.

My question is can Win 7 Pro 32bit work with a single 4GB stick of RAM?

Changing the slot doesn't help. Boots with just the 2GB stick. Does not boot with just the 4GB stick.

The pc in question is a HP Pro 3130 and the memory is 4GB Edge Memory VH638AA-PE PC3-10600 Non ECC, un buffered.

deathnote666 on

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    It could be the motherboard chipset doesn't support 4 GB stick in one slot, though I think in most cases the RAM limit should be dependent on the total amount of RAM not the size of any particular stick.
    It's most likely a bad stick. Win 7x32 will accept that RAM just fine. In fact, it will even work fine with more. However due to the way 32bit memory addressing works, memory beyond 4GB is mostly wasted.
    You can try making a boot disc with MemTest86+ on it and test that stick. It might take several full test passes to give an error (and even single error means you should toss it out) but if it's consistently failing that quickly it'll probably error out much quicker than that. Win7 also has a built in memory diagnostic. If you can get far enough to bring up the Windows boot menu (the one that comes up if you didn't shut down windows properly, or I think press F8 after the motherboard POSTs) you can launch it from there. Maybe also with the Win7 install disc.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    deathnote666deathnote666 Registered User regular
    Thanks!