As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

An Emergeny Mini Phalla! Game Over! Village Victory!

12345679»

• Options
    NbspNbsp she laughs, like God her mind's like a diamondRegistered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Nah, if he thinks I'm being suspicious, that's fair. I'm just saying, three out of four network votes have been villagers, and we're running low on those - I'm standing by my vote until I have a reason otherwise.

What are you talking about?

Preda was a network vote, and was confirmed Mafia

Zombie Hero is also a confirmed Mafia.

Smooth Operator wasn't a confirmed mafia, we just agreed to get rid of him.

I became suspicious of you a long time ago if you remember, but then I changed my mind and gave you the benefit of the doubt.

Eitherway, after tonight, when Zombie Hero is dead, all should make sense.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I just wanted to be sure he was confirmed mafia - I went along with the network vote on three villagers so far so I was just being cautious. If you're sure, then yeah, Zombie Hero

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Thank you Jay, we will remember your vote on this day

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    vote close

results in about two minutes

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Zombie HeroHung
    Lost Ninja Shot
    Deamonizual Executed

Game over

Village Victory

• Options
    Host thoughts:

Man, I SUCK as a host these days.

I am so sorry to the Mafia, my inability to think clearly and the time zones kind of screwed you guys a little, especially ZH. So so so sorry about that.

My whole hope was to play this over my long birthday weekend, but it took 3 days to get 20 people to sign up, which was just torturous for me. I've never had that happen before.

Thank you guys for playing, I'm sorry for being so shit at my task.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    good game folks.

No need for an apology, ahava. Thank you for hosting. It was a fun game.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    In case anyone was wondering, i found out i was mafia like, halfway through the first day. Most of my posts on the first day was when i thought i was village.

Steam
  • Options
    yeah. i put in results and then crashed on the couch.

woke up, went to work and Ecco was like "have you told your replacement what his role is? "

"SHITFUCK"

so yeah, sorry!

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Heehee.

I had fun mowing down mafiosos left and right! And sort of messing with people a little. I was totally just a normal vig. Not a serial killer or anything. But Vertroue made a mistake and I decided to run with it.

Sorry Smoove Operator. Once it became pretty clear you weren't mafia, I wanted to get the vote off you, but in the end I wasn't sure you were good.

Thanks for running Ahava!

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    You can all thank me now. Love, God-Emperor PK

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    precisionk wrote: »

You are such a magnificent bastard. I think this is the second time you've declared we had been working together after you got me killed.

Worst part was by about halfway through that evening I was convinced that as just a villager I was the least damaging of the choices available for the vote.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    vertrouevertroue I am Female Totes Not a SithRegistered User regular
    Woot Ver is still oblivious asshole!

Fun game ahava. I sometimes miss the simple no crazies phalla that we did run wayway back in the day. Simple and fun.

Blood and Fire
    From the Desk of Darth Vertroue Diplomat to the USA.
  • Options
    precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    precisionk wrote: »

You are such a magnificent bastard. I think this is the second time you've declared we had been working together after you got me killed.

Worst part was by about halfway through that evening I was convinced that as just a villager I was the least damaging of the choices available for the vote.

Your death was a turning point. I figured let's turn lemons into lemonade. I believe you are right on the working together part. When I was wrong about you, I then weaved my web of lies to say we worked together and then I went on my soapbox praising my own genius. At that point, I had only been in contact with Nbsp, I was seered night 1. Using vote analytics and my veteran experience, Prada was likely bad and really it was just me behind the curtain calling the "network" vote for the first few days as Nbsp kept hitting villagers on the seer.

Obifett and I continued our harassment for public enjoyment.

Nbsp chose wisely to seer me first as having my alliance is like bringing Cthulhu to a knife fight.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Heh, I was right about Lostninja at least.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Good game, maybe it would have been better with more people? I feel like the mafia really had no place to hide.

I didn't know there were going to be so many Mafia, it's funny because I was telling Sir Fab that Void Slayer and LostNinja seemed like the most suspicious of the last 5 suspects, but I didn't know they would both be Mafia.

It's a good thing we guarded Sir Fab because without him this would have taken more nights than I thought, but I had also just put in a request to see LostNinja last night just in case.

It was fun being a seer, but someday I'd like to be a Vig

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Be careful what you wish for...

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Who was guard?

• Options
    Deamonizual

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Heh, that was our target last night, for that exact reason, wish we'd figured it out before we were already dead.

• Options
    He was a good guard, too bad he died in the end.

• Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    It is hilarious that a grand total of three special/networked people revealed in the thread, instead of doing the sensible thing and keeping Sir Fab as the nethead. (Though I guess due to kill colors you couldn't be completely sure sir fab wasn't a SK, but even then it would probably have been worth it to just seer him). Add on the network being kinda overly aggressive to people it suspected (ideally you want to keep everyone at an equal distance in public so it's not obvious to the mafia who is and isn't in the network) and man.

Well-played village, putting yourself at a disadvantage and taking the game anyways was super entertaining to watch :^:

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    It is hilarious that a grand total of three special/networked people revealed in the thread, instead of doing the sensible thing and keeping Sir Fab as the nethead. (Though I guess due to kill colors you couldn't be completely sure sir fab wasn't a SK, but even then it would probably have been worth it to just seer him). Add on the network being kinda overly aggressive to people it suspected (ideally you want to keep everyone at an equal distance in public so it's not obvious to the mafia who is and isn't in the network) and man.

Well-played village, putting yourself at a disadvantage and taking the game anyways was super entertaining to watch :^:

Sensible is boring! And the game was kind of slow anyway. It's amazing we only lost 1 special at the very end. I think the network was just way too powerful in the endgame. We killed a man just to watch him die.

I'd like to hear more from the Mafia people, like what happened on Day 1? And how did it feel to get totally destroyed all at once by the end? Did you even feel you had a chance?

Nbsp on
  • Options

No orders were put in at all on day one. Our second kill was attached to Preda, who was the first to die. The network could have literally posted their rosters and orders in the thread and there wasn't a whole lot we could do about it.

However. I do hope to see a lot of the folks that were new (or newish) continue to play. Also, sometimes games can ramp up in complication so I'm really happy that Ahava decided to host a pure vanilla. Seriously, the first post after a game ends shouldn't be an apology from a host. That's crazy.

Steam
  • Options
    PredaPreda Registered User regular
    People sorry to have totally missed day 1. But sundays are generally bad day for me.

Having no mafia kills ady 1 sort of unbalanced the game, and when everyone understood that mafia missed day 1 who to kill sort of come easy to decide...

Revenge next time, cause mafia never die!

• Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Learning that the mafia was also pretty bad just raises the entertainment value for me!

But man I'm not a huge fan of mafia vigilantes. Maybe limited use vigilantes to give the mafia a limited third kill, but mafia live and die by their number of kills and increasing or decreasing that number usually leads to serious balance problems (mafia are impotent at 1 kill, hella overpowered at 3 kills).

Edit: Exception being games with small numbers of players (classic mafia for small groups generally is one mafia kill). This game was sorta small so I can understand tying one mafia kill to a player but still not something I like all that much.

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Learning that the mafia was also pretty bad just raises the entertainment value for me!

But man I'm not a huge fan of mafia vigilantes. Maybe limited use vigilantes to give the mafia a limited third kill, but mafia live and die by their number of kills and increasing or decreasing that number usually leads to serious balance problems (mafia are impotent at 1 kill, hella overpowered at 3 kills).

Edit: Exception being games with small numbers of players (classic mafia for small groups generally is one mafia kill). This game was sorta small so I can understand tying one mafia kill to a player but still not something I like all that much.

The way I've been figuring it is that the kills are largely determined by the number of days you want the game to run for (that is kills = players/days), and then longer games benefit the village so you want like 7 days.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    discrider wrote: »

The way I've been figuring it is that the kills are largely determined by the number of days you want the game to run for (that is kills = players/days), and then longer games benefit the village so you want like 7 days.

They are, but putting them on a member of the mafia in particular can lead to a helpless-seeming mafia. It's a removing-the-fulcrum thing.

• Options
    What are some strategies for a seer

• Options
    Nbsp wrote: »

Try to blend in with the rest of the village, and also play consistent with your behavior as a vanillager in prior games.

Seer people who you think are suspicious, or at least who you expect to survive awhile.

Do not reveal in thread, unless you are in danger of getting voted.

If a vig publicly reveals himself, contact him after he has been cleared. (ie, their call was killed from a green source - thrallvigs are incredibly rare)

Steam
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Act suspect. Get voted.
    At least then the mafia won't shoot you.

• Options

Try to blend in with the rest of the village, and also play consistent with your behavior as a vanillager in prior games.

Seer people who you think are suspicious, or at least who you expect to survive awhile.

Do not reveal in thread, unless you are in danger of getting voted.

If a vig publicly reveals himself, contact him after he has been cleared. (ie, their call was killed from a green source - thrallvigs are incredibly rare)

the opposite of everything I did

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    I would say don't try to seer mafia until later. Try to build a network of people you think are going to survive and you can work with. Day 1 should be your mouthpiece, everyone after that is your backup. Don't draw attention to yourself and always have someone speak for you. If you can clear other specials than that is a huge boon.

After you get 3-5 people in your network then go after who you think is mafia.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    I would say don't try to seer mafia until later. Try to build a network of people you think are going to survive and you can work with. Day 1 should be your mouthpiece, everyone after that is your backup. Don't draw attention to yourself and always have someone speak for you. If you can clear other specials than that is a huge boon.

After you get 3-5 people in your network then go after who you think is mafia.

Eh.

I agree, you absolutely want one patsy/mouthpiece but after that I'd aim for mafia. You aren't going to hit 100% mafia, and if you do for three days or so you can probably just post the list to the thread yourself and massively shift the odds towards the village. Building up a big network that effectively hides their presence is just begging to get mistaken as mafia or to give the mafia the same clues that the village normally looks for.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015

Hmm I tried looking at that phalla university thread, but when I actually read the article on seers it was about how games don't need them.
    Someone should write a strategy article!

Gizzy on
    Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    The thing is Seer strategy changes completely on the game. In a vanilla game like this, the strategy can boil down to " build up a network around you that you trust and stay alive" If you happen to find a mafia or a few along the way, then fine.

Or, you can go the other way, screw the network and just pop mafia, but that's much harder to do.

In a bigger game, or a more complicated game, the strategy changes. But the basic core of the seer's role is to find out who to trust and who not to trust and use that to gain victory for the collective. Any flavor between that and whatever game you're playing is just that. Flavor. You are special and alone in the world, surrounded by enemies. Find people you can trust, who will die for you if needs be, so that you can do the important work of saving the whole.

at least, that's my thoughts.