As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[pbp][13th Age] Dragon's Hoard: Act 1: Onward to Drakkenhall!!!!

• Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    Musing aloud, "I wonder if a bloated, sharkbitten elf would be any easier to command. Oh! Maybe I could stitch a shark to the elf! The ferocious Elfshark!"

"Right. Not the time."

She makes a show of inspecting her flintlock pistol. It doesn't seem terribly convincing she knows how to use it very well.

"So, where do we get this boat? Tell me it's the Sailors of Iron, please tell me it's the Sailors of Iron. Been meaning to stick it to that smug bastard for weeks now."

• Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    'Toskr perches on the back of Tumblefinger's chair staring intently at the maps. "The pigmy zombies tickled, unnatural little buggers. As for Sand Elves...I'm not sure one of them has ever joined the court."

Geth roll 1d20+4 for "Do I know anything about Sand Elves from my time in the High Druids court."

"Do I know anything about Sand Elves from my time in the High Druids court.":
    1d20+4 20 [1d20=16]

Anialos on
  • Options
    fraxfrax Registered User regular
    "Good plannin', Bumblefinger. Fine way ta get a leg up on the competition," Grax growls. He has a rather large mug of hair of the dog next to him, the surly human-thing trying to nurse through a hangover.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    As with most of my games, OOC talk is done in colors, like this.

@Anialos What you know of the Sand Elves, or Desert Elves as they are really called, is that common lore says they are an offshoot of the Wood Elves, back before there was a true Elf Queen. The Desert Elves are not part of the Court due to being mostly in the Phoenix Kingdom and there are almost none here in the Empire. They are nomads, moving from one oasis to another. They live in tribes that use rafts with sails to travel across the desert region that makes up most of the Phoenix Kingdom.

Borrin looks at Grax. "Well, I rather you guys had a real chance instead of looking for a needle in a haystack. Now, about the boat... you may have noticed that Shadow Port is under blockage. For the last few weeks, the Emperor has been confiscating ever stolen good, rounding up everyone wanted person, checking every scrap of paperwork, and if a ship fails in any of these ways, they have been taking possession of them." Borrin moves around and takes out another map, this one of the Shadow Port bay. "There are three ships in total keeping the blockage on the bay. Two schooners with skeleton crews and Lieutenant Commander Asilge's Man of War "The Wavecrusher". I think you should steal one of the schooners and disable the Wavecrusher." Borrin places three toy boats on the map. "I got friends who will take care of the other schooner, the lads and lasses from Dark Dagger. The trick will be disabling the Wavecrusher. First, in the dead of night, you lot will take a rowboat out to one of the schooners, take out the crew, then push the rowboat to the Wavecrusher were the rudder is. The rowboat will have a few barrels of gunpowder on it, so it's best not to be seen when going to the schooner. Set the powder off and then run the schooner like hell. Make a stop at Drakkenhall for supplies and then out to the Iron Line with you." Borrin then sets a box on the table. "This here is one of those magic mirrors. You can talk to whoever has the other one, in this case me, just by rubbing the edge of the mirror. Keep it in the box until you are ready to use it. Heard that there are some smart mages who are trying to figure out a way to access other mirrors, so I wouldn't trust keeping it in a place were you don't want to be heard. Any Questions?"

• Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    "Any opinion on what to do with the Schooner crew once we take them out? Don't want rotting bodies on board." 'Toskr queried, keeping his personal option of chow time to himself for the moment.

• Options
    "Well, if you kill them, take what's valuable and throw their bodies over board. If you take them alive, trade them in at Drakkenhall with someone. Some coin your way for supplies and someone will make some deal with the Empire for their heads. Pretty standard pirate stuff."

• Options
    "Arr, hy don't we just take the Wavecrusher to begin with?" Grax smirks, swirling the swill he drinks around in his mug. "Now THAT be excitement for ya! Paddlin' around bitty rowboats, pfeh. Ya make us sound like a bunch of thieves or somethin'."

• Options
    wildwoodwildwood Registered User regular
    "Hmmm... the Wavecrusher'd be hard to run by ourselves, even with my modifications." Barrett traces his finger in some beer on the tabletop, figuring how to make the schooner run with just them.

Then he frowned. "Is a schooner strong enough to withstand the Iron Sea? And if the treasure ship has sunk, what are we supposed to do then? Schooners usually prefer the surface."

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Borrin laughed. "True, but that's why you are going to Drakkenhall. You're to meet a buddy of mine, or at least someone who owes me one. He's names Gibbs, and he has an answer to our "If it sunk" problem."

@wildwood Flint knows who Gibbs is. He's an goblin tinker. If Elves made art, dwarves made machines that last, gnomes make stuff that's useful, then goblins invent stuff that is insane and could blow up and kill you. Or work, depending on how the coin is flipped. Needless to say, most of Gibbs stuff have fallen on the right side of the coin flip that he's still in business. But that's like saying a dragon only burned part of your sheep.

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    "I'm astounded Tumblefinger...this seems like a reasonably well thought out plan. I may not end up captured and/or seduced by a sea hag this time."

• Options
    Grax

" 'Seduction' means ya didn't hit on her first, boy. Harr!"

• Options
    "Let's get a move on. I should grab some materiel if we're hitting that ship tonight."

Eir pauses to cough a little.

"And a couple corpses."

• Options
    "I'll help with the corpses! What species you need?" 'Toskr asked as he tossed an acorn to and fro between his paws. "Of course, if you don't mind it makes it all the easier."

• Options
    "Well, elves taste the best, but I find orc keeps the best before getting all rotten."

• Options
    Borrin hands the box with the mirror to Flint. "Now don't get yourselves in trouble before hand. Meet the Dark Dagger crew on the docks about 9. It's important that you are there on time."

You guys can do a quick narration of what you are doing between then and now (plus roll if you are needing to find something special like a good corpse), then we will roll on to the next part.

• Options
    Eir heads to her house, oddly not in the sewers, but above an otherwise abandoned warehouse. Unlike most of her profession, she does not like or even really tolerate the presence of rodentia and other scavengers.

With a sole exception.

A crow, Bartleby, waits for her on her sill. She produces a jar of newt eyes (classics are classic for a reason), and throws one up in the air. Quick as a blink it disappears into the corvid's maw.

"I'll be out of town a little while, Barts. Consider this estate and its grounds yours while I'm away." Something creaks downstairs, as though to emphasize the decrepitude of her hovel.

Bartleby seems entirely unphased.

"I really do need to teach you to play cards."

She grabs a few sets of water-proof spell component bags, practices her maniacal laugh in a mirror (Barts caws a brief approval), and then heads out. Eir keeps to the back alleys, not wanting to draw any additional attention.

Looks like I get four spells at first, not three, which makes the decision considerably easier. I've added Chant of Endings to my charsheetpost.

• Options
    Targath heads back to his room at the Boar's Nest. It's a scummy pirate inn and tavern, but the room and board are paid for with songs and tales in the evening. Between the free drinks the sailors buy and the coin thrown his way for telling the old favorites, it's not a bad existence.

He gathers his gear, straps on his cutlass, and tries to decide what instrument to bring along. He settles for his pan flute, it's small and has a nice strap to hang off his belt out of the way.

As Targath leaves he gives the innkeeper, an old half-elf named Cecil, a few gold to hold his room empty and keep his few meager belongings safe.

Time to head to the docks.

• Options
    'Toskr slips into a back alley just outside their meeting place and quickly clambers up to the roof. Pausing for just a moment he shifts into a seagull and flaps towards the docks. No point in wasting time preparing, 'Toskr didn't have any earthly belongings beyond what he kept on him when he was in human form, and not much even then. As he approached the docks through the evening fog 'Toskr let out a sigh, knowing the Dark Daggers would probably expect him in that form.

• Options
    out of town til Monday night. If need be put Grax in the back of a cart and throw a blanket over him while he sleeps off a night of booze and women.

• Options
    Barrett visits several of his storage/workshop hideouts, mothballing any projects that were at risk of exploding/leaking/rampaging through town. As he goes, he picks up whatever gear he thinks will be useful while still portable (and, in a pinch, maybe even buoyant).

As he goes, he tries really hard not to rub the mirror Borrin gave him, since that would only invite trouble. He distracts himself by imagining some kind of shoulder-mount harness for it, so Borrin can see what they see when the time comes. Sure, lots of uses for that.

Geth roll 1d20+6 for Looting the Mad Scientist Stash Without Burning Down the City

Looting the Mad Scientist Stash Without Burning:
    1d20+6 26 [1d20=20]

• Options
    As Barrett is going through his projects and turning them off (or trying to put them in a cage), one item catches his attention. It was going to be a tool to find magical items of rare value but it only detected gold. Which wasn't useless, but with everyone carrying gold coins in their purses, it made the machine less effective. The small handheld device would hum when close to gold. Image what it would do when close to a ship carrying mass amounts of gold. Barrett added the device to his gear before heading out.

Rewarding such a marvelous roll with something useful for the narrative.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Damn, this sounds awesome! Wish I had seen the thread before it started!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    And back!

• Options
    Well then... let's get this started. Posting will be kinda slow as I work the next 9 days in a row because people can't do the schedule right but we'll be chugging along.

Later that night, the group met with the Dark Daggers. There were two row boats, both with a large barrel of gunpowder strapped to the back. The Daggers were made up of a tall half-orc woman, a halfling man with one eye, and a human male who might have been a wizard. The Half-orc woman looked up as the group came down the docks. "So are you Borrin's lot? He's told you what we are doing, I'd assume, yes?"

• Options
    Targath looks at the leader of the Dark Daggers and grins. "Yeah, that's us. Old Bumblethumbs told us the plan. You lot up for this?"

• Options
    "I certainly am," 'Toskr laughed, perched up on one of the boom arms used to help unload cargo. "What."

• Options
    "Plan? We have a plan?" Grax says, rubbing his aching head. Gods, he feels like he's been sleeping a week.

• Options
    "Of course. It was Garvin's plan." She points towards the wizard. "You guys are here as our back up. Basically, take the ship, push your row boat towards the back of the Wavecrusher and Garvin will blow them and their rudder up. Then throw up the sails and move. Just because the Wavecrusher can't turn doesn't mean pointy ears isn't going to try to give chase." The Daggers jump into one of the row boats. "And head for the Straits. It's the long way to Drakkenhall but it's got less Imperial ships patrolling it. Just steer clear of Necropolis and it's a smooth sail." The half-orc woman says as they start off. "See you in Drakkenhall."

• Options
    Barrett, who had been fiddling with some piece of gear or other, perks up at the mention of gunpowder.

"Do we know how many are on each schooner? And which one's ours?"

• Options
    The Daggers row towards the left schooner, leaving the right one for the group.

• Options
    "Let's be on with it then," says Targath as he steps into the row boat.

• Options
    Grax clambers in with surprising agility for a misshapen mass of humanity.

• Options
    Eir stopped breathing some time ago.

She can't help but touch the amulet around her neck. She feels the comforting-yet-painful tug at her soul as she lifts it from her skin. It is a good pain.

She presses herself against the gunnels of the tiny craft, occupying as little space as possible.

• Options
    'Toskr shrugs and hops in at the prow of the boat, reverting to his more comfortable squirrely form.

• Options
    Barrett picks a spot close to the gunpowder, then edges away from it a bit. Then edges back toward it.

If needed, he helps with the rowing.

• Options
    With everyone aboard, Targath pushes off and takes the oars.

The others hear him very quietly singing as he pushes the oats through the water, "...a rowin' a rowin',
    I'll go no more a rowin'
    since rowin's been my rue-eye-in...
    I'll go no more a rowin' with you fair maid...."

• Options
    Grax snorts quietly, and makes what might approximate singing in his guttural voice.

"He took the lassie in his arms, and to bed he ran,
    O hooly, hooly wi' me, Sir, ye'll waken our goodman!"

• Options
    It doesn't take long for the group to reach the schooner. The ship was lit up only by a few torches, causing the lights to flash on the water. The Midland Sea was calm, as usual, and sounds from the ship carried well across the water. There were only a few men on the deck, one dressed fancier gear was speaking to the rest. "Make sure everything is tied down tight before you hit the bunks. If a storm starts up, I don't want all our gear falling into the sea. And you don't either because I'll make you dive down and get it!" A few crewmen laughed, but it was half-hearty, as if these men were ready to get some rest. The stern (back of the ship) was clear of people but the anchor was down in the bow (Front of the ship) of the ship, with one man smoking a pipe with his back turned towards the rails.

I need stealth checks from everyone and decide how you want to board the schooner.

• Options
    Geth roll 1d20+1+3 for "stealth using Dex and Squirrel"

I'll be landing on the railing as a gull then going big bad bear if any notices I'm not really a gull =p

"stealth using Dex and Squirrel":
    1d20+1+3 13 [1d20=9]

• Options
    "Your strongest punch won't leave a mark,
    The harshest words will never work,
    But if you make the smallest spark,
    Kaboom!"

Barrett tears himself away from the barrels of powder and leaps off into the shadows.

Geth roll 1d20+1+4 for "stealth, Dex and rogue"

Barrett will scramble up the anchor chain and improvise some cover once he's on deck.

"stealth, Dex and rogue":
    1d20+1+4 23 [1d20=18]