As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[pbp][13th Age] Dragon's Hoard: Act 1: Onward to Drakkenhall!!!!

• wildwoodwildwood Registered User regular

As the guy who has been getting the most nat 1s, or close to, the idea of expanding crit rolls to more of the system makes me... nervous. :)

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    d2n98xi0v5qx.jpg

It's really hard to find good beach shore tile sets for free on the internet. Anyhow, it looks like a lot but the Shambling Sailors are mooks, which means when you do damage over their health, the extra damage transfers to the next one. So you guys should be able to clean them up quickly.
    Initiative Order:
    @webguy20 Travis- 22
    @Oats Eir- 21
    Shambling Sailor 1- 21 Dead
    Shambling Sailor 2- 21
    @Nealneal Targath- 19
    @Anialos Ratatoskr- 18
    Shambling Sailor 3- 17 8 damage
    Shambling Sailor 4- 16 Dead
    Shambling Sailor 5- 16
    Shambling Sailor 6- 13
    Shambling Sailor 7- 13 Dead
    Shambling Sailor 8- 13
    Shambling Sailor 9- 11
    @Mikey CTS Sakura- 9
    Bloated Brute- 8 8 Damage
    @wildwood Flint- 7
    Shambling Sailor 10- 7
    @Lord_Asmodeus Amelia- 3

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Tarvis has been in some tough situations before, but back to a wall with a horde of undead has to be the worst. It was worth it though, his search has lead him to this island of the dead and he finally thinks he will be able to find answers. He just has to survive this tide of undead. He faces the undead and yells "You will not stop me!"

Tarvis will double weapon attack (if the first attack roll is a nat even), and uses First strike (+2 crit range on first attack of battle) and Lethal hunter (Calling out undead mooks for +2 crit range during battle)

Geth roll 1d20+4

well first attack is a miss, so 1 damage, but it is a nat even, so 2nd attack!

1d20+4 6 [1d20=2]

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Geth roll 1d20+4 for 2nd attack

Starting this game hot folks! 1 miss damage.

How should I structure my attack roll posts since there are so many dependencies on my rolls? I don't want to clutter up the thread.

2nd attack:
    1d20+4 8 [1d20=4]

webguy20 on
  • OatsOats Registered User regular
    Eir's eyes roll back down to normal. They're bloodshot. This island, it is good.

It is right.

There was a design in this. These sailors too fresh to instinctively swarm yet.

Of course. Her patron was testing her, now that she had inherited a role so precious to him. She will make her patron proud, but tearing this test limb from limb.

She rips the amulet from her neck, its metal is searing hot in her hand. Words floe through her mind and tumble from her mouth.

As she chants, she sees what will come to pass. A step, a trap hidden in the sand. An undead sailor released from service.

Geth roll 1d20+4 for versus MD
    Geth roll 1d10+3 for Negative Energy damage on hit

versus MD:
    1d20+4 13 [1d20=9]
    Negative Energy damage:
    1d10+3 10 [1d10=7]

Just assume you're going to be doing both attacks and roll attack and damages in one post.

The blades didn't phase the rotten sailor as he and the rest of the horde inched closer.

@Oats is next.

@Grunt's Ghosts how's a 13 versus MD.

@Oats You guys are currently far distance, which means you'd need two move actions (or a whole turn) to get close to them. I did this so they can have a turn fighting off the zombies themselves before the Big Damn Heroes rush in. The Chant of Endings only effects nearby enemies.

So a single move would get me nearby? The spell just requires I be nearby, so Eir swaggers forth until she's in range.

From my understanding, Far Away means it takes two move actions to get nearby. So starting far away means you'll need to take two move actions to get nearby, using your whole turn. I did this so the new guys have to deal with the undead for a turn before you guys reach them and most likely destroy the rest. This isn't really going to be a hard fight.

Generally it's 1 move for each Far -> Nearby -> Engaged/melee. If we're a turn away then Eir just moves to be 1 move action away from Nearby.

edited October 2015
    I looked it up and you're right. Eir is nearby with a single move. And 13 hits a mindless undead creature.

As the horde of corpses moved forward towards the new group, one of them starts to fall apart. It's face began to melt and it's skin peeled off until nothing remained but dust that matched the gray sands of the beach. Eir's amulet becomes slightly warmer as it feeds on the life force that once gave movement to the sailor.

Sailor 1 is dead. I'll post more when I'm not babysitting a baby who just learned crawling.

Grunt's Ghosts on
    edited October 2015
    Even as one of his comrades collapsed from strange magics, the shambling horde kept going. One of the undead sailors made an attempt at Amelia, but the Pirate Widow was experienced at dodging drunken men and the corpse was even less surefooted than a greenhorn on dwarven ale. She easily kicked it back, but that did little to stop it's advancements.

Geth roll 1d20+5 vs. Amelia's AC
    Geth roll 1d4 if ATK nat 16+

No damage.

vs. Amelia's AC:
    1d20+5 9 [1d20=4]
    if ATK nat 16+:
    1d4 4 [1d4=4]

Grunt's Ghosts on
    Young Neal, from this day forward you shall be known as @NealNeal

• NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    The chaos of a brawl calls to something deep in Targath's soul. Something that he very much wants to share with these undead monstrosities. He moves forward, singing the Dirge of the Fisherman's Wife to stir his comrades to greater battle prowess.

"The storms blew through the cove that day,
    Her man was sailing far away,
    She saw his ghost in her dreams,
    the whole village heard her screams..."

Quick Action begins Song of Heroes ALL NEARBY ALLIES GET +1 to HIT
    Move Closer to the Scrum
    Geth roll 1d4 for Random Energy Type
    Apparently, Targath likes Thunder. Chaos Bolt is Thunder for this Battle.
    Geth roll 1d20+3+1+1 for Chaos Bolt vs Bloated Brute PD

Random Energy Type:
    1d4 4 [1d4=4]
    Chaos Bolt vs Bloated Brute PD:
    1d20+3+1+1 17 [1d20=12]

Nealneal on
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited October 2015

I was so sure I would miss, that I forgot to even include the damage roll. Since the to-hit was a Natural Even I gain a Chaotic Benefit as well, but with that roll and no Nearby Staggered enemies, nothing happens.
    Geth roll 1d8+3 for Damage vs Bloated Brute
    Geth roll 1d6 for Chaotic Benefit

Damage vs Bloated Brute:
    1d8+3 8 [1d8=5]
    Chaotic Benefit:
    1d6 3 [1d6=3]

Nealneal on
  • AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    'Toskr cracks a huge grin and plows into the undead, "Hey you guuuuuuuuuys!"

Geth roll 2#1d20+6 for beast attacks
    Geth roll 1d10+4 for even hit
    Geth roll 1d6+4 for odd hit
    1 dmg if both miss

beast attacks:
    2#1d20+6 2 # 26 [1d20=20] 18 [1d20=12]
    even hit:
    1d10+4 13 [1d10=9]
    odd hit:
    1d6+4 10 [1d6=6]

• AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    Will also pop my Cat's Grace for +1 AC since I got a 18+ @Grunt's Ghosts

Targeth's song summoned lighting again from the skies and struck the Bloated Brute, cutting and burning the flesh of the beast. Crispy Seaweed and semi-cooked organs fell out of the monster as it turned it's attention at Targath...

Meanwhile, 'Toskr monstrous bear form crashed into the wave of undead, cutting a path with claw and teeth. Two of the undead were quickly shredded and another was barely moving. The horde, however, didn't seem too worried about the meat grinder on legs cutting them down with ease. Instead, they saw lunch...

Sailors 7 and 4 are dead as 26 damage was done to the undead horde. Brute took 8 damage.

edited October 2015
    The badly damaged sailor had fallen to the ground when the Squirrel Bear Druid tore through the crowd of undead. In a last ditch effort to be useful, the zombie sailor pulled his body apart to scratch 'Toskr before the life force in it's body finally gave out.

Geth roll 1d20+5 vs. 'Toskr's AC
    Geth roll 1d4 if nat 16+

'Toskr takes 5 damage and the Sailor takes 2 and dies.

vs. 'Toskr's AC:
    1d20+5 22 [1d20=17]
    if nat 16+:
    1d4 2 [1d4=2]

Grunt's Ghosts on
    edited October 2015
    9ghxur8dzqv0.jpg

'Toskr looked up to see the horde shifting toward him, rotten hands and gnashing teeth all aimed at him. One zombie moved through the crowd with a purpose. It grabbed on to the left leg of the bear and bit down hard. 'Toskr stood up, throwing the zombie to the ground.

Geth roll 1d4 if nat 16+

7 more damage to 'Toskr
    1 damage to Sailor 5.

Initiative Order:
    @webguy20 Travis- 22 28/28 HP
    @Oats Eir- 21 18/18 HP
    Shambling Sailor 2- 21 1 Damage
    @Nealneal Targath- 19 11/21 HP
    @Anialos Ratatoskr- 18 15/27 HP
    Shambling Sailor 3- 17 Dead
    Shambling Sailor 5- 16 1 Damage
    Shambling Sailor 6- 13
    Shambling Sailor 8- 13
    Shambling Sailor 9- 11 4 Damage
    @Mikey CTS Sakura- 9 24/24 HP
    @wildwood Flint- 7 24/24 HP
    Shambling Sailor 10- 7
    @Lord_Asmodeus Amelia- 3 30/30 HP

vs. 'Toskr's AC:
    1d20+5 25 [1d20=20]
    if nat 16+:
    1d4 1 [1d4=1]

Grunt's Ghosts on
    edited October 2015
    Standing up caused the next sailor to miss the bear completely...

Geth roll 1d4 if nat 16+

vs. 'Toskr's AC:
    1d20+5 7 [1d20=2]
    if nat 16+:
    1d4 4 [1d4=4]

Grunt's Ghosts on
    edited October 2015
    ...and the next sailor too...

Geth roll 1d4 if nat 16+

vs. 'Toskr's AC:
    1d20+5 10 [1d20=5]
    if nat 16+:
    1d4 2 [1d4=2]

Grunt's Ghosts on
    edited October 2015
    While most of the horde closed in around 'Toskr, one undead sailor took a different target, instead seeking out the small girl. However, it was too slow for the girl from the 21th Age, who was used to moving through crowed streets and dodging traffic in New Axis.

Geth roll 1d20+5 vs. Sakura's AC
    Geth roll 1d4 if nat 16+

vs. Sakura's AC:
    1d20+5 14 [1d20=9]
    if nat 16+:
    1d4 1 [1d4=1]

Grunt's Ghosts on
    @Mikey CTS to bring the chaos!

• Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Sakura Oano

Sakura slaps the grasping undead talons away from herself. Her pleated skirt and long, silken pink hair flowing with the lines of her form.

"Don't you dare touch me, you freaks!" she snarls.

She takes the opening to step back, straightening her posture, crossing her ankles. Sakura raises her hands in the air and takes a deep breath. She closes her eyes. Extending her index fingers and thumbs while tucking her remaining fingers, she lowers her arms to cross over her breasts. Sakura's eyes flash open and thrusts her arms forward with her thumbs touching. As her arms fully extend, a flash of heat, flames and light blast forward in a fiery wave.

"BURNING HANDS!!"

Geth roll 2#1d20+4 to hit the closest two undead vs PD
    Geth roll 1d6+3 fire damage

to hit the closest two undead vs PD:
    2#1d20+4 2 # 23 [1d20=19] 10 [1d20=6]
    fire damage:
    1d6+3 4 [1d6=1]

Mikey CTS on
    // PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    If that second one missed, I still do miss damage equal to my level due to being Spell Fist.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
    edited October 2015
    The flames lap around the sailors, burning them but doing little to stop their continued approach towards their fleshy targets.

The Brute moves away from the horde surrounding 'Toskr and, with a speed uncommon to undead, barrels his way to Targath. The bard, too busy trying to rhyme "orange" with something, gets a sharp crack in the skull that reminds him quickly that orange doesn't rhyme with anything and that he should stick to quick rhyming schemes.

Sailor 9 takes 4 damage and Sailor 2 takes 1 damage.

Targath takes 10 damage.

Geth roll 1d20+5 vs. Targath's AC
    Geth roll 2d6 if natural even hit or miss.

vs. Targeth's AC:
    1d20+5 20 [1d20=15]
    if natural even hit or miss.:
    2d6 9 [2d6=4, 5]

Grunt's Ghosts on
    @wildwood To stab things.

"What? ...oh."

Flint sets his schemes aside and moves toward the battle, trailing his hand in the shadows as he goes.

On the assumption that Flint is still a double-move away from melee action, I'm having him move toward everyone (hugging the cliff wall), and then Shadow Walk. If, for some reason, the Shadow Walk attack misses, then he will do Flying Blade at the nearest engaged enemy.

Geth roll 1d20+5 for Shadow Walk against highest enemy MD

Geth roll 1d20+5 for Flying Blade against nearby target
    Geth roll 1d4+4 for damage (1 damage on miss)
    Geth roll 1d4 for sneak damage on natural even FB hit

Shadow Walk against highest enemy MD:
    1d20+5 25 [1d20=20]
    Flying Blade against nearby target:
    1d20+5 21 [1d20=16]
    damage (1 damage:
    1d4+4 5 [1d4=1]
    sneak damage:
    1d4 4 [1d4=4]

There's the rolls I was missing last combat... :)

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    It's really hard to find good beach shore tile sets for free on the internet.

I felt a disturbance in the force:

beach-map.jpg?w=911&h=1538

@Enc I wasn't going to ask because you had already done an amazing job on the map and I knew you had other projects you were working on. But I thank you for this amazing map.

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    :)

Link in my signature goes to about 100 maps you might want to try out. I got a bunch under "Sabu Island" which are tropical islands.

edited October 2015
    uflpan6ez86z.jpg

Ok, new style map up.

Flint disappears from sight, not that anyone else noticed. Another Sailor moves in close to giant bear but like those before it, miss the massive standing beast.

Geth roll 1d4 if nat 16+

vs. 'Toskr's AC:
    1d20+5 13 [1d20=8]
    if nat 16+:
    1d4 2 [1d4=2]

Grunt's Ghosts on
    @Lord_Asmodeus Is next then top of the list with the Escalation Die at 1.

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Amelia grimaced as the Zombies pressed in, their hands clumsily grasping out to drag her under their weight of numbers, taking a small step back to get a better angle she took a long swiping arc with her longsword at the Zombies pushing forward.

Geth roll 1d20+5 vs Zombie's AC
    Geth roll 1d8+4 for weapon damage

Edit: That's an odd roll (11) so my Maneuver is Carve an Opening.

vs Zombie's AC:
    1d20+5 16 [1d20=11]
    weapon damage:
    1d8+4 5 [1d8=1]

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    edited October 2015
    Tarvis, after his deft attack that dispatched the air in front of the zombies, moves in for the kill against the zombies themselves.

Tarvis has lethal hunter active against the zombie horde, gaining +2 crit range against them. If his first attack is a Nat even, then his 2nd attack will apply.

Geth Roll 1d20+4 for attack 1
    Geth Roll 1d20+4 for attack 2

Geth Roll 1d6+4 for attack 1 Damage
    Geth Roll 1d6+4 for attack 2 Damage

Edit: Only attack 1 applies, but is a crit.

attack 1:
    1d20+4 19 [1d20=15]
    attack 2:
    1d20+4 5 [1d20=1]
    attack 1 Damage:
    1d6+4 9 [1d6=5]
    attack 2 Damage:
    1d6+4 5 [1d6=1]

webguy20 on
    edited October 2015
    Amelia's sword catches one of the zombies in the arm, cutting it clean off. Travis took the zombie's moment of confusion at it's missing limb to cut it's head off before leaping off it and driving his sword into another sailor. And because he was still moving, he spun around to kick the legs out from underneath another sailor.

Math time. Amelia deals 5 damage to Sailor 2, who already suffered 1 damage, equaling 6 total. Then Travis deals 18 damage to the Horde, finishing off Sailor 2, Killing 6, and dealing 4 damage to Sailor 5, who now has 5 damage total. That's hell of a turn. Don't forget guys that from Travis onwards, you have a +1 to Attack Rolls as the Escalation Die is +1. @Oats is next with Eir.

Initiative Order: Escalation Die +1
    @webguy20 Travis- 22 28/28 HP
    @Oats Eir- 21 18/18 HP
    Shambling Sailor 2- 21 Dead
    @Nealneal Targath- 19 11/21 HP
    @Anialos Ratatoskr- 18 15/27 HP
    Shambling Sailor 3- 17 Dead
    Shambling Sailor 5- 16 Dead
    Shambling Sailor 6- 13 Dead
    Shambling Sailor 8- 13
    Shambling Sailor 9- 11 5 Damage
    @Mikey CTS Sakura- 9 24/24 HP
    @wildwood Flint- 7 24/24 HP
    Shambling Sailor 10- 7
    @Lord_Asmodeus Amelia- 3 30/30 HP

Grunt's Ghosts on
    edited October 2015
    Eir continues to chant words unknowable.

Her amulet has slowed its feast, for there is easier prey.

Eir whips her head around and locks eyes with another shambling corpse.

Her fist closes, blood runs from her hands.

Geth roll 1d20+3+1+1 for vs zombie MD
    Geth roll 1d10+3 for spooky damage

vs zombie MD:
    1d20+3+1+1 21 [1d20=16]
    spooky damage:
    1d10+3 6 [1d10=3]

Oats on