Options

[Terraria] Thread: Dig, Fight, Explore, Build!

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Holy shit, found a full-version pic of that camper van pic I posted in the last thread:
    XBAWKS HUEG!

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »
    Holy shit, found a full-version pic of that camper van pic I posted in the last thread:
    XBAWKS HUEG!

What in the sweet fuck, that is incredible

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    I caved and read an "intermediate guide" so I had an idea of what I should be aiming for since I was kinda stuck after building a mine shaft straight down to the underworld? hell? It had a lot of lava.

I had a ton of platinum so I built myself an armor set. I had 400 hp. I also had found an ice blade. I decided it was time to kill this eye of cthulu. He was a bit of a pushover but I think my gear was beyond what people normally use.

Now I built a subway from the middle of the small world out to the west dungeon. Next time I play I go the other way!

I never thought I'd enjoy this game but I really have taken to it.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Man, my decision to never pop any larva in the underground jungle when I was farming Queen Bee has really fouled up my last couple of expert Plantera attempts.

On the bright side, I finally got the Bee Mount. still haven't offed the shrub yet though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Expert Skeletron finally offed after building a fancy new arena and switching to molten gear. That version of the fight might be too hard to be fun using only pre-Hardmode stuff. Not too sure about his Expert item either, but I imagine I'll have plenty of bones to test it with soon.

• Options
    YoshisummonsYoshisummons You have to let the dead vote, otherwise you'd just kill people you disagree with!Registered User regular
    In my 2 expert skeletron runs I used a molten bow using frost arrows with a single sky platform runway with the cuthulu shield to help in dasing and keeping my momentum. I only used the daybloom based buffs (archery, regen, ironskin).

Been tying a pure summoner run but it's more irritating than fun.

Posted from phone.

• Options
    Offed Expert Mode Plantera. Actually, It's my first Plantera kill period.

Actually found it kinda fun, or at least different in an interesting way to the other bosses. Does that make me crazy?

Guess I should mention the bottom of my jungle is riddled with minecart tracks, and with a few modifications, I was able to make a system of tracks, tunnels and escape routes to keep the shrub at exactly the distance I wanted to be at nearly all times.

Anyway, now it's dungeon and jungle temple, actually got the hallowed and jungle key beforehand, so I only need to farm corruption and snow for their keys. Got a shelter built in the snow biome, maybe I should make it a house for the nurse with a bed and start an invasion from there. Read somewhere that each portion of the EoW also has a chance of dropping the corruption key, thinking of starting up the smashing of shadow orbs again.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    In my 2 expert skeletron runs I used a molten bow using frost arrows with a single sky platform runway with the cuthulu shield to help in dasing and keeping my momentum. I only used the daybloom based buffs (archery, regen, ironskin).

Posted from phone.

My final setup was a V-shape set of platforms with some blocks covering the top of the V tops that would absorb the flying skulls, all inside a big old box that allowed me to run, duck under the head, and jump back on the platforms and keep running. If I fell off I could get back on the slope easily enough that I never got caught up in that stupid stunlock that kept killing me. Most of the fight was a combo of the bee gun for fire and forget, mini shark with meteorite bullets so I could bank shots into him while hiding at the ends of the V, and a molten bow firing hellfire arrows when he was chasing me and spinning.

I'd say it went more smoothly, but my summoner setup always went really smoothly up until I got stuck in his spin attack, so I think it was the arena re-design that really improved things.

Any case, very glad to be dungeon exploring now. I put together a Night's Edge and marked most of the biome chests, but still have a big area left to uncover. Next steps will probably be finding the mushroom biome, mapping out the jungle and finding the temple, then building a hell bridge and seeing what Expert Wall of Flesh looks like. I keep getting right up the edge of abandoning expert before finally pulling a win out, so I expect that fight to be equally horrible.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I go on vacation for a few days, and I am usurped. Ah well, good to see the new thread was created.

Now to try and kill the mech bosses on expert mode....

Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options

Posted from phone.

My final setup was a V-shape set of platforms with some blocks covering the top of the V tops that would absorb the flying skulls, all inside a big old box that allowed me to run, duck under the head, and jump back on the platforms and keep running. If I fell off I could get back on the slope easily enough that I never got caught up in that stupid stunlock that kept killing me. Most of the fight was a combo of the bee gun for fire and forget, mini shark with meteorite bullets so I could bank shots into him while hiding at the ends of the V, and a molten bow firing hellfire arrows when he was chasing me and spinning.

I'd say it went more smoothly, but my summoner setup always went really smoothly up until I got stuck in his spin attack, so I think it was the arena re-design that really improved things.

Any case, very glad to be dungeon exploring now. I put together a Night's Edge and marked most of the biome chests, but still have a big area left to uncover. Next steps will probably be finding the mushroom biome, mapping out the jungle and finding the temple, then building a hell bridge and seeing what Expert Wall of Flesh looks like. I keep getting right up the edge of abandoning expert before finally pulling a win out, so I expect that fight to be equally horrible.

Probably not, Expert Skeletron is easily one of the hardest Expert Mode bosses. I've had an easier time with ever other boss since then (including, ironically enough, Skeletron Prime, which I actually thought was easier than expert Twins). Compared to him, Wall of Flesh will be a piece of cake.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Posted from phone.

Expert Skeletron requires the most nimble movement of any expert boss IMO. The others come down more to preparation (or just plain cheesing with certain weapon combos).

Expert Wall of Flesh is more of a numbers race after the prepwork. A lot of us have killed it right when it was speeding up to the point where we wouldn't be able to outrun it anymore.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Ok, what is this thing I can't mine into in the jungle underground? It requires some key, but I have no idea what key. I'm still in normal world.

edit:
    I think it is the temple key. . .

DyasAlure on
    My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    Ok, what is this thing I can't mine into in the jungle underground? It requires some key, but I have no idea what key. I'm still in normal world.

edit:
    I think it is the temple key. . .

You are correct. Try not to stay too long in the entryway, it will spawn enemies meant for hard mode.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    well I just want items spawning in the jungle underground. How do I know if I'm there?

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    Slayer of DreamsSlayer of Dreams Registered User regular
    well I just want items spawning in the jungle underground. How do I know if I'm there?

Is there giant bees that shoot stingers at you and massive vine thingers that chomp you to death? That's the underground jungle. Just look around for small-ish golden temples (about 15 blocks x 15 blocks at most in size), those will have the stuff you're looking for in the chest in the center of them. They're usually lit up, too, so they're fairly easy to find once you get near them. Just keep wandering around the cave systems.

Steam: Slayer of Dreams / BladeCruiser / (EHJ)BooletProof
    R*SC: BladeCruiser
    Check out my GTAV-PC custom race tracks inspired by real life racing circuits!
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

Is there giant bees that shoot stingers at you and massive vine thingers that chomp you to death? That's the underground jungle. Just look around for small-ish golden temples (about 15 blocks x 15 blocks at most in size), those will have the stuff you're looking for in the chest in the center of them. They're usually lit up, too, so they're fairly easy to find once you get near them. Just keep wandering around the cave systems.

Those are shrines, the temple is the big, orangeish place Dyas has already found.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    He knows; he was directing him to the shrines for the loot he's looking for.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Also, those large "block trees" that are in the underground jungle now has a chest in the bottom of their roots 4/5 times.

Panda4You on
  • Options
    Back to exploring. I want to make everything with this guy. Think I will have to use more than one world.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Gah this last fishing achievement.

What bullshit.

Everything else is so... achievable. Reasonable.

But then you get to the last one and it's like

"Nope, fuck your 100%."

RT800 on
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Back to exploring. I want to make everything with this guy. Think I will have to use more than one world.

You inherently have to because of the corruption/crimson thing.

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    At least they made it easy to see on worldgen if it's going to be crimson or corruption, though I don't think that helps for the new ores once hardmode is activated.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Shimshai wrote: »
    At least they made it easy to see on worldgen if it's going to be crimson or corruption, though I don't think that helps for the new ores once hardmode is activated.

The ores and bars can also be gotten via fishing crates regardless of which show up naturally in a world which helps a bit.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Shimshai wrote: »
    You can cheese hardmode ore generation if you plan for it ahead if time. When you hit the first altar for each tier, if it's the ore you don't want, alt-F4 out of the game immediately. There's no forced autosave on ore generation, and it can be different on subsequent attempts (i.e. it isn't locked at world gen). Back up your save first, just in case, but I didn't have any trouble the last time I did it.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    RT800 wrote: »

What bullshit.

"Nope, fuck your 100%."

I haven't tested all of it myself, but according to a Steam guide I found:

1. Chevo both in game an on steam is your total across all characters, not for just one character (personally know this one to be true)
    2. Whether you've completed a Angler Quest in a world is tracked by your character, not by your account.
    3. The fish required for the quest is the same for every player/character that visits that world for that day.
    4. You can fish for as many quest fish as you want by putting the quest fish you just caught into storage (like piggy bank/safe or a chest) before fishing for the next one.

Ergo, you can fish for as many quest fish as you want by storing them in your personal safe/piggy bank/money trough, move them to a regular chest, then create/swap to as many characters as possible to turn in those fish before 4:30 am the next day when the fish required resets.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Expert Wall of Flesh is more of a numbers race after the prepwork. A lot of us have killed it right when it was speeding up to the point where we wouldn't be able to outrun it anymore.

minecart?

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Paladin wrote: »

minecart?

Likely viable but maybe not needed. I did finish it off on my first try. That said, I also had hunted down the accessories to make Lightning Boots so I flat out moved faster even before the faster run speed from Hermes Boots kicked in.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Expert Golem down (and on farm), also did Martian Madness and got the Cosmic Car Key, so I can put my wings into money trough storage to pull out when needed, freeing up an accessory slot for the Celestial Stone I crafted.

Now I'm kinda wondering what to tackle next. I'm thinking I'll try to find another probe for Martian Madness again and see if I can get some weapons from the saucer, but after that, I'm not sure if I want to make attempts on Duke Fishron, or try Pumpkin Moon and/or Frost Moon out. Still also haven't earned a corruption or frozen key yet either. If I want to stick to magic gear (Rainbow Gun + Spectre armor = :heartbeat:, both figuratively and literally) is there a weapon or weapons from any of these things you'd recommend on trying to get first?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    from fishron this is probably the best spell i've found (don't have alient spells yet)
    http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Razorblade_Typhoon

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Foefaller wrote: »

What bullshit.

"Nope, fuck your 100%."

1. Chevo both in game an on steam is your total across all characters, not for just one character (personally know this one to be true)
    2. Whether you've completed a Angler Quest in a world is tracked by your character, not by your account.
    3. The fish required for the quest is the same for every player/character that visits that world for that day.
    4. You can fish for as many quest fish as you want by putting the quest fish you just caught into storage (like piggy bank/safe or a chest) before fishing for the next one.

Ergo, you can fish for as many quest fish as you want by storing them in your personal safe/piggy bank/money trough, move them to a regular chest, then create/swap to as many characters as possible to turn in those fish before 4:30 am the next day when the fish required resets.

Either I'm doin' something wrong or they've patched that out.

Anything I leave in a safe isn't there when I create a new character to open it.

RT800 on
  • Options
    Foefaller wrote: »

What bullshit.

"Nope, fuck your 100%."

Either I'm doin' something wrong or they've patched that out.

Anything I leave in a safe isn't there when I create a new character to open it.

You have to move the fish to a regular chest if you want another character to use them for angler quests. Anything you put in a safe or piggy bank/Money Trough can only be accessed by that character (it's also saved to that character, meaning you can access it's contents from any safe/bank/trough from any world), the reason you use it to store fish between catches is because it's the only form of placeable storage that you can pickaxe down and move even when you have items stored in it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ahhh gotcha.

• Options
    Just don't put your safe item into your safe inventory. I put the money trough into the money trough, and had to buy a piggy bank for the house to get it out of the black hole.

• Options
    Pailryder wrote: »
    from fishron this is probably the best spell i've found (don't have alient spells yet)
    http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Razorblade_Typhoon

That is absolutely something I plan to farm for. Thing is, I'm not sure if I can beat expert Duke with just the magic weapons you find in hardmode dungeon.

The martian magic weapon I'm trying to farm for is this one: http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Laser_Machinegun

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Me and a buddy haven't been able to touch the mech bosses on expert on our own.
    Today we joined forces, and after a 4-5 hour session we had all the mech fuckers down hard and plantera and golem on farm! We managed to clean up up a martian invasion in between too, which gave us basically every drop except the goddamn UFO mount. :D The dungeon is pretty cleaned up as well. Fishron and the event bosses for tomorrow, I think...

• Options
    Is the Bezoar a Hard Mode only drop? I have been through a lot of bees and a few worlds worth on jungle, and no drop.

• Options
    YoshisummonsYoshisummons You have to let the dead vote, otherwise you'd just kill people you disagree with!Registered User regular
    bezoar is p pre-hardmode. It's a 1% drop though so if you're unlucky it'll take a long time.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    I'm unlucky.

What is a good way to farm this?

DyasAlure on
  • Options
    I'm unlucky.

What is a good way to farm this?

Moss hornets start spawning in hard mode giving another enemy it can drop from. And you'll likely kill a lot of them clearing out an arena for Plantera. You'll have plenty of opportunity to get one later.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    If I find a spare one, I'm sure we can sort out an exchange.

Actually some kind of swap meet for super-rare gear could be nice.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png