Options

[Terraria] Thread: Dig, Fight, Explore, Build!

• Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I just killed wall of flesh. It was normal mode, but very easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywgV6gn2Ebs

I think I'm hard mode? I saw more of the crimson in my game? I don't even know what I'm supposed to do. It just happened so fast. . .

My road was to low in the ground though.. so disappointed.

DyasAlure on
    My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Now you farm souls of light/night from the hallow and crimson mobs so you can craft the items necessary to summon the Destroyer, the Twins, and Skeletron Prime.

Also the Wall of Flesh should've dropped a pwnhammer which you can use to smash altars in the crimson. This'll spawn new kinds of ore in your world so you can craft better stuff.

RT800 on
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    if you have your meteor set and are nimble, i suggest building a sky bridge and farming wyverns and harpies until you get your harpy wings

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    The Witch Doctor in the jungle sells slightly better wings for two platinum too

Crafting keys with the souls of night and light and using them on chests makes special mimics with special drops that help immensely with hardmode enemies

hallow caves spawn crystals over time which can be used for better healing potions

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    The Witch Doctor in the jungle sells slightly better wings for two platinum too

Crafting keys with the souls of night and light and using them on chests makes special mimics with special drops that help immensely with hardmode enemies

hallow caves spawn crystals over time which can be used for better healing potions

Unicorns on the surface Hallow drop horns which are used to make some of the best arrows in the game for fighting bosses.

You can also now collect all the pieces for the Ankh Shield, arguably one of the best defensive accessories in the game protecting you from several debuffs.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    You guys. Daedalus Stormbow with Holy Arrows. Oh my god you guys.

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    AkimboEG wrote: »

Also known as the Destroyer Destroyer.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    AkimboEG wrote: »

Also known as the Destroyer Destroyer.

Also a good way to weather invasions inside a a bunker enemies can't get into but you can rain arrows through.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Anyone remember a moon lord video posted in the last thread, where the dude ran around the boss on a minecart track roughly shaped as a diamond?

• Options
    this seems overly complex and a waste of time actually hurting hte moon lord but the concept is good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqYPB00XnF8

• Options
    Pailryder wrote: »
    this seems overly complex and a waste of time actually hurting hte moon lord but the concept is good

The big thing really is the teleporters. Being able to lose the eyes is abig.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    yeah i think you could do it with a far simpler design with just two teleporters. the gun with tracking bullets (chlorophyte?) would do great, or he has the nebular spells that track, or typhoon, any of those. also he had a mechanism for getting health, you could have heart triggers popping out at a certain spot. i was inspired by that video though so i'm going to set up my own track to see how it goes.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Thanks for fetching the vid, @Pailryder! Couldn't for the life of me remember what the hallmarks of it was. But yeah, the setup was a bit more complex than I remembered.
    Me and a buddy only got the Moonlord left on our expert conquest, so I'm curious about how to handle it. Fishron was easy as fuck. :) And the event moons wasn't that much trouble once we got the arena going and had a couple of tries on each. My wingman doing the deeps and me in the beetle armor works really well (would have been fun to have one or two more peeps to fill out other roles but our other friends gave up before we managed to down the mechs/golem), but I honestly don't know how this tanking thing would be possible without the vampire knives? Me fetching those on single player normal made like fucking night&day difference for the gameplay.

Edit: If you die before you've gotten a pillar's shield down, does it "reset" to full?

Panda4You on
  • Options
    spectre armor set with the hood that heals makes a lot of things easier also. but yeah vamp knives kind of kick but when mobs don't have crazy movement patterns :)

• Options
    Panda4You wrote: »
    Thanks for fetching the vid, @Pailryder! Couldn't for the life of me remember what the hallmarks of it was. But yeah, the setup was a bit more complex than I remembered.
    Me and a buddy only got the Moonlord left on our expert conquest, so I'm curious about how to handle it. Fishron was easy as fuck. :) And the event moons wasn't that much trouble once we got the arena going and had a couple of tries on each. My wingman doing the deeps and me in the beetle armor works really well (would have been fun to have one or two more peeps to fill out other roles but our other friends gave up before we managed to down the mechs/golem), but I honestly don't know how this tanking thing would be possible without the vampire knives? Me fetching those on single player normal made like fucking night&day difference for the gameplay.

Edit: If you die before you've gotten a pillar's shield down, does it "reset" to full?

Nope. Those of us playing solo have had to use one man human wave attacks.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    spectre armor set with the hood that heals makes a lot of things easier also. but yeah vamp knives kind of kick but when mobs don't have crazy movement patterns :)
    True. I can't say there's much that's an outright death sentence for me specifically, but those fucking solar worms? I'm lucky if I can even get a couple of hits in before they just delete me. >:E

Ah nice! I'm grinding pillars solo now to get us more mats, and it's "welcome to die" in there :/

• Options
    edited August 2015
    True. I can't say there's much that's an outright death sentence for me specifically, but those fucking solar worms? I'm lucky if I can even get a couple of hits in before they just delete me. >:E

Ah nice! I'm grinding pillars solo now to get us more mats, and it's "welcome to die" in there :/

While which pillar spawns in which spot is random, the pillars always spawn in the same general vicinity so it's possible to build a base of operations near them. Admittedly not so easy while the event is going on. Still, having a place to hang banners as they drop helps a lot.

Also, the solar worms can't target you on the ground. They punish people who spend too long airborne but otherwise won't attack you.

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile
  • Options
    RT800 wrote: »
    Now you farm souls of light/night from the hallow and crimson mobs so you can craft the items necessary to summon the Destroyer, the Twins, and Skeletron Prime.

Also the Wall of Flesh should've dropped a pwnhammer which you can use to smash altars in the crimson. This'll spawn new kinds of ore in your world so you can craft better stuff.

Yep, 6:03 I got that.
    if you have your meteor set and are nimble, i suggest building a sky bridge and farming wyverns and harpies until you get your harpy wings

I all ready have a platform bridge across 2/3rd's the map? That work? I have a crimson set I think. I have lots of meteor I never used.

Well back to the grind. Do I loose anything if I just don't care about the crimson taking over the world? Do I need the biomes?

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I don't think NPCs can spawn in the crimson.

So if it spreads near your main base it might interfere with expansion plans.

Otherwise I think it's just annoying to constantly run into enemies from the crimson.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    In Hard mode corruption/crimson will turn mud into dirt, so given enough time you could lose most or all of the jungle.

• Options
    its pretty bad to let the world get overrun by corruption/crimson. my strategy has been to dig 4 block wide pillars while still in normal mode. it takes using some water breathing and lava resist potions usually but the payoff is well worth it when the spread is restricted.

also @DyasAlure if you already have a path that harpies come and attack then yeah you can use that. i suggested meteor because with a full set and the gun you have a long range unlimited ammo attack and the wyvern is a pain in the butt enough that you may need lots of room to shoot it to death.

• Options

Also, the solar worms can't target you on the ground. They punish people who spend too long airborne but otherwise won't attack you.
    Omg! You're like Morpheus, just coming out of my empty closet and go "Dude, Matrix!" :O

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Aistan wrote: »
    In Hard mode corruption/crimson will turn mud into dirt, so given enough time you could lose most or all of the jungle.

"Given enough time" = in-game years/RL Days though, as it takes much longer for corruption/crimson to spread through mud than it does dirt and stone.

And in 1.3, Chlorophyte now turns nearby dirt into mud, even if that dirt has corrupted/crimson grass growing on it, so while the jungle surface can get in trouble, underground jungle can fend off corruption/crimson, and even grow through any dirt in the cavern layer.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I smashed some 6 or so alters. Is that enough?

My base is surrounded by a 6 wide puller on either side.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Can spider dens spawn in other biomes, i.e. corruption or jungle, or just in standard forest underground, during worldgen? Having a real hard time trying to find that stylist npc :/

Panda4You on
  • Options
    smashing altars has diminishing returns. usually getting 2 world announces of each type is more than enough just be aware that the best ore is deep caverns usually but you need to upgrade to the cobalt/whatever to mine titanium/adamantite.

spider dawns - i don't think i've seen them in corruption or jungle but usually in mid/lower cavern levels. usually building some horizontal shafts at 1000 feet increments will help you find them pretty quick. http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Spider_Nest

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Expert Moon Lord down! :) We just didn't give a shit when he showed up, hopped onto the world-traversing railroad and shot offscreen behind us for ~10 minutes. :)
    There was plenty of luck involved in dodging that megalaser he uses sometimes, but the heal-negating debuff wasn't that much of a problem?

Edit: No, I'm also very suspicious of spider nests generating in jungle/corruption. They do show up in snow though.

Panda4You on
  • Options
    smashing altars has diminishing returns. usually getting 2 world announces of each type is more than enough just be aware that the best ore is deep caverns usually but you need to upgrade to the cobalt/whatever to mine titanium/adamantite.

spider dawns - i don't think i've seen them in corruption or jungle but usually in mid/lower cavern levels. usually building some horizontal shafts at 1000 feet increments will help you find them pretty quick. http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Spider_Nest

As mentioned on that wiki page, you can also use dangersense pots to find them, as all those cobwebs start to sparkle through walls when the buff is active.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    Can statue created mobs give Goodie Bags?

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    The Nimbus Rod is a hell of a weapon. Wyverns drop quick while I dance around in the rain throwing my yoyos.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Can statue created mobs give Goodie Bags?

IIRC as long as they're not mimics, they'll drop whatever they'd normally drop, sans coins. I don't think they can be used to farm biome keys though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    what do you guys think is a good number for potential average simultaneous PA player traffic on a mid-US server

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    After finally building a bunker and having 5 minions, I went afk for 4 hours

Came back to a crimson key!

Vampire knives soon!

• Options
    Why the hell can't you combine the Angle Earring, High Test Fishing Line, Tackle Box and such crap into one accessory? :/

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Why the hell can't you combine the Angle Earring, High Test Fishing Line, Tackle Box and such crap into one accessory? :/
    Because that would make sense, and we can't have that.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    go fish or go home

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Paladin wrote: »
    go fish or go home
    Only ~140 fishing quests left and I'm done with the game ;)

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    It's been mentioned a few times, but I assume you're grabbing more than just the single daily fish when you go fishing, right? You can tuck them into your piggy bank and just keep reeling them in over and over again. I did all my fishing pre-hardmode and still have three chests full of quest fish to hand over as the daily quest changes. It's not gonna get me to 200, but I'm mostly just doing it for the unique items (Super Absorbent Sponge was the big one after I finally got the Sextant).

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    they finally ported this to linux so I can play it again

this is my first time starting from the beginning since it came out, I'm really appreciating ropes and the different styles of wood furniture.

I got started in a snow biome, which I didn't know was possible. I turned up a snow cannon pretty quickly in my digging, which feels like a lucky find right now because it's a gun that I effectively have infinite ammo for and I remember guns being precious commodities in the early game first go round

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    The snow cannon is an amazing find early on. It saved my ass when I kept getting murdered on expert.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png