Options

[Terraria] Thread: Dig, Fight, Explore, Build!

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Seriously wrote: »
    this is my first time starting from the beginning since it came out, I'm really appreciating ropes

Seriously, I hate life in the early game til I get some rope. My first defensible/monster-impregnable base design depends on them and they make exploring caverns SO much easier (read: less deadly).

• Options
    Slayer of DreamsSlayer of Dreams Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    Seriously wrote: »
    this is my first time starting from the beginning since it came out, I'm really appreciating ropes

Seriously, I hate life in the early game til I get some rope. My first defensible/monster-impregnable base design depends on them and they make exploring caverns SO much easier (read: less deadly).

I lucked out and got the accessory that lets you gather "rope" from the hanging vines in caves and stuff. I had 3 or 4 stacks just laying around after about 10 minutes and never need to worry about it again.

Steam: Slayer of Dreams / BladeCruiser / (EHJ)BooletProof
    R*SC: BladeCruiser
    Check out my GTAV-PC custom race tracks inspired by real life racing circuits!
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    climbing gear is really fun to use if you don't want to farm for a grappling hook right away.

it took me several months before discovering that E on the keyboard was a hotkey for the grapple.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I don't think I've ever used rope except for as a way to reach the skybridge

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Pailryder wrote: »
    climbing gear is really fun to use if you don't want to farm for a grappling hook right away.

it took me several months before discovering that E on the keyboard was a hotkey for the grapple.

I'm not sure when they were introduced, but I only learned E for grappling, R for mount, H for healing, and B for buff potions this go around. I'm not sure I'd be surviving expert mode without that info.

Got Destroyer and The Twins down! Daedelus Stormbow and Megashark with Cursed bullets go a long way in those fights. Not sure how I'm going to approach Skeletron Prime yet. The Twins were a real test of dodging skills (that I almost lost), and I imagine that he's going to be just as bad.

Edit: Actually, that was much easier than the Twins. Moving on!

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Wow it's been a long time. I think the last time I played was around when Hardmode was new.

Decided to start fresh. Probably medium world (since: single player). Maybe large.

What's this Normal vs Expert choice? This is new

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Expert is a new difficulty level. Enemies have higher HP counts, and deal far more damage to the player. Defense is much more important, has more damage reduction than Normal. You do get extra unique loot from bosses, but seriously, it is much harder than normal.

Shimshai on
    Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Expert makes all the monsters tougher, and in exchange they drop more money and items more often. Also the bosses have expert-mode only drops.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Hm

Maybe I'll just start off normal for now since apparently there's lots of new content? Then do an expert run.

• Options
    The cash drop on death is a pain in the arse now, I don't know if it's more extreme on expert or if that's how it was adjusted for the newest version. Dropping 75% of cash on death on expert, and enemies will pick up most of that. Given that they will likely despawn before you'll get back there, it's really best to get into the habit of depositing your cash into a piggy bank regularly.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Shimshai wrote: »
    The cash drop on death is a pain in the arse now, I don't know if it's more extreme on expert or if that's how it was adjusted for the newest version. Dropping 75% of cash on death on expert, and enemies will pick up most of that. Given that they will likely despawn before you'll get back there, it's really best to get into the habit of depositing your cash into a piggy bank regularly.

It's an expert mode only thing.

...and yeah, it leads to lots of money lost until you manage to save enough to lure the merchant and buy a piggy bank. Thank god they also added the ability to pay out of your piggy bank/safe so you don't have to ever take the money back out again.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Accidentally exploring hell with 2 Plat and 50 Gold, that was a wake-up call. Such waste.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Man, mediumcore. So masochistic.

Died in the ocean to a couple of sharks I couldn't see. No backup chest at spawn. The solution? Cut down 5 trees, and trek back above ground during the day, tunneling by night. Slimes overwhelm on expert mode, so no torch - hastily click behind you with spare dirt at night while tunneling to prevent zombies from catching up. Blood moon came: cover myself in dirt and close my eyes till sunrise. After an hour, trekking the corruption: build a dirt skyway that became a dirt tunnel that became a dirt vertical labyrinth to trap flying enemies and wall them in, horizontally preferably because I have longer reach. Go high, but not too high - harpies are worse than eaters. At night, fill in dirt in front of you, hollow it out, never exposing more than a block to fresh air. Running out of dirt - have to get down before the sun gets down. Gonna have to jump! Quickly, into a crevice, panicked, smear dirt behind me. Digging again, through jungle. Can't see anything, so dark - fell in a surface cavern! A worm! Gotta dig back up, just keep jumping hysterically. Jungle bats make it impossible to go outside, have to dig the rest of the way. Why is the jungle so long? It's been 7 days now ... 3 1/2 real hours digging. Run, run across the desert! Can't jump this pit, vulture coming, have to make this bridge and hide before he gets me. Stand still, let the heal come. The ocean, the cursed ocean. Can't dig anymore. Gotta make a bridge, gotta make a bridge before sundown. I'm over my grave, what do I do? No choice but to jump in the blackness. Dangerous jellyfish light my way, is there a shark? Got half my items! Why did I equip so many dyes! A scream! My hearts! Where's the shark, can't see anything! Is it just one? My breath, how do I escape!? Hands trembling, can't find the mirror, must be still down there! 3 bites away from death! Steady hands, steady, put a flipper on! Swim! Swim to the surface please! Mashing jump in the darkness, Hearts and breath nearly gone, out of the water on to the beach, under the bridge, cold and wet and inventory in chaos. But I'm safe now. It's over. I'll go back, I'll get the rest, but for now, just let me stay here a little bit. No more digging. No more building. Done.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Hardcore: "Shit what was that pressure plate? Fuck goddamn boulder bullshit!"

Addendum: FUCKING GODDAMN EXPLOSIVES BULLCRAP FUCK IT ALL

Shimshai on

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Hardcore just doesn't work in this game

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    I thought I was doing pretty well on expert. Then I killed the WoF and started getting annihilated in Hard Mode.

At least Hell isn't especially more difficult so I can start climbing the hard mode ore ladder.

I'm thinking about starting a normal difficulty world, getting all geared up in hard mode there, then coming back to Expert...but that feels kind of cheesy and I don't want to invest that much time building all the stuff I'll need in a whole new world.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    I thought I was doing pretty well on expert. Then I killed the WoF and started getting annihilated in Hard Mode.

At least Hell isn't especially more difficult so I can start climbing the hard mode ore ladder.

I'm thinking about starting a normal difficulty world, getting all geared up in hard mode there, then coming back to Expert...but that feels kind of cheesy and I don't want to invest that much time building all the stuff I'll need in a whole new world.

Compared to normal difficulty, crafting the Cobalt and Mythril sets makes a huge difference.

The other thing that helps a lot is making a spider staff.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Biggest trick for hardmode is to build up a stockpile of fishing crates, then cracking them all after killing the wall. Free hardmode ores/bars!

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Getting a decent yoyo with the Yoyo Bag gave me a lot more survivability in Expert hardmode. Let's you hole up somewhere and bash up crowds from a place of safety. A decent minion helps a lot too; I've been using Imps, and I've got whatever the furniture piece is that allows you to have a bonus minion for 10 minutes. Getting into hardmode armor is going to make the biggest difference, but terrain control has been essential too, and they can keep stuff off your back until you're ready to handle it.

I'm up to putting together a huge arena for the Plantera fight, and the only reason I've dipped into another world is to get some ichor since it's only available in Crimson. If you managed to make it through pre-Hardmode, you can definitely keep going, but I had to grind for some specific gear. Specifically I kept forging keys of light from souls of light, then throwing them into empty chests to spawn Hallowed Mimics until I got the Daedelus Stormbow. That and some decent armor opened the first crack in the mechanical bosses for me.

Edit: And yeah, I had a massive number of crates from pre-Hardmode. Not enough to assemble any full armor sets, but enough to get a Mythril anvil and Pickaxe, so I got to bypass a lot of the preliminary mining.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    100 fishing quests down, 100 left to go. Goddamn, there really ain't no shortcut to this, is there?

• Options
    Chubby BunnyChubby Bunny Regal Pocket Monster Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Hey guys, I just got this game. I have to say, it's incredible. If anyone wants to sync up and play some time... I'm on Fiji Time (GMT+12). Let me know!

Battle.net: ChubbyBunny#1452 | Steam: Bunny1248 | Xbox Live: CBunny1

My Digital Pin Lanyard || PAX East '13, '14, '15, '19 | PAX South '15
  • Options
    i have yet to play any game where i have enjoyed fishing haha

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Panda4You wrote: »
    100 fishing quests down, 100 left to go. Goddamn, there really ain't no shortcut to this, is there?

There kinda is one, but it isn't a "200 quests in 5 minutes!" type trick. Basically:

the quest fish the Angler asks for is the same for every character that visits that world for that in-game day
    Whether you've completed the quest for the day is tracked by your character, not your account or the world
    ...and you can keep fishing out quest fish if you put the quest fish you caught in storage before fishing for the next one.

Which means, you can catch a bunch of quest fish, put them in a public chest, then create a bunch of new characters that only exist to turn in those quests, letting you complete quests at a faster pace than one every 24 minutes.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    I didn't realize accessories were represented on the toon now

I look fancy as hell with this pocketwatch and this cape and this giant toothy eye mask

• Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    I want to 100%, but this fishing thing, I'm not sure.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    I think the big problem people are having with fishing is that they're ignoring it until it's the last Achievement they have left and then agonizing over having to grind it out over literally a hundred hours.

It's like, dudes. Interlace it with your activities. Use 4:30am as your reference time to warp back home and deposit your treasures. Get ye fishing quest, deliver ye fish, go back to whatever you were doing before.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I did manage to pound out the fishing achievement in about 3-4 days.

I'd take a quest, fish up 20-30 quest fish at a time using my piggy bank, then create 20-30 new characters to turn them all in.

Tedious, but a lot faster than the alternative.

RT800 on
  • Options
    I've apparently killed 188 Angry Trappers without a single Uzi drop.

When I start calculating probability things have usually gotten dark.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    well, these vampire knives absolutely shred Plantera.

now if I could only find the damn jungle temple!

• Options
    i've gotten in the habit of just digging hellevators everywhere. zone change on the surface? hellevator time. basically, my worlds get segmented pretty quick, and it's nice for containing the crimson or corruption. it also helps find things pretty quickly. i think most jungle temples do seem to be mid/low cavern level.

• Options
    speaking of the crimson

I had dug a moat the entire way around and under my compound and filled it with wood

the crimson still got in

is this normal?

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    How wide was your moat?

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    Xaquin wrote: »
    speaking of the crimson

I had dug a moat the entire way around and under my compound and filled it with wood

the crimson still got in

is this normal?

1) How wide was the moat?
    2) Did you remember to account for thorns, which can bridge smaller gaps?
    3) Did it spread in, or was it the hardmode trigger? Because the hardmode trigger doesn't cave about barriers, it just goes 'right, this place is evil now'

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Today I learned about the cell phone. Therefore, today I learned about farms. Therefore, tonight I have a goal.

• Options
    1) the moat was 4 blocks wide
    2) I did not know that!
    3) it spread in

• Options
    if it's 4 blocks wide it should not be able to get past that...i'm curious what you mean by you filled it with wood. there should be 4 empty blocks around it completely, no front materials of any kind. the background should not matter

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    Is there any good way to make money without cheating? I kinda spent shitloads getting a Godly tier on my Vampire Knives, fuck that was expensive, think they cost 70 gold to reforge right now, I'm on console so version 1.2.3 I think?

Those knives tear Plantera a new asshole anywhere it wants to be, Golem cant do anything about them either.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Do you consider farms cheating? I saw some farm setup guides on youtube claiming 25plat per hour. Not sure if they work.

• Options
    yeah a dungeon farm selling the ghost drops will net you quite a bit. takes a lot of setup but once you do it, very worth it. this is an older video am i'm sure there are much faster ways but the concept is the same
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDcG7ze7wgQ

• Options
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Is there any good way to make money without cheating? I kinda spent shitloads getting a Godly tier on my Vampire Knives, fuck that was expensive, think they cost 70 gold to reforge right now, I'm on console so version 1.2.3 I think?

Those knives tear Plantera a new asshole anywhere it wants to be, Golem cant do anything about them either.

If you're geared for it, solar eclipses have some mad cash. Similarly, pumpkin/frost moons, but those have the downside of escalating to the point where you're probably gonna lose most of your gains to dying and then getting endlessly mobbed on respawn.