Options

[Terraria] Thread: Dig, Fight, Explore, Build!

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Is there any good way to make money without cheating? I kinda spent shitloads getting a Godly tier on my Vampire Knives, fuck that was expensive, think they cost 70 gold to reforge right now, I'm on console so version 1.2.3 I think?

Those knives tear Plantera a new asshole anywhere it wants to be, Golem cant do anything about them either.

If you're geared for it, solar eclipses have some mad cash. Similarly, pumpkin/frost moons, but those have the downside of escalating to the point where you're probably gonna lose most of your gains to dying and then getting endlessly mobbed on respawn.

bring a piggy bank to your event arena and put a bed right next to it also (far away from your npc's). just get good at quick deposits periodically and you'll net some great cash :) also if running your own server you could just mess with day/night cycles.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    No need to even mess with Day/Night cycles.

Just solar eclipses e'ry day and frost moons all night!

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    Do you consider farms cheating? I saw some farm setup guides on youtube claiming 25plat per hour. Not sure if they work.

I dont consider Farming as a way cheating, I meant the close game if you lost too much gold on bad reforges trick and poof - all your money back, also various boring glitches and duping.
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Is there any good way to make money without cheating? I kinda spent shitloads getting a Godly tier on my Vampire Knives, fuck that was expensive, think they cost 70 gold to reforge right now, I'm on console so version 1.2.3 I think?

Those knives tear Plantera a new asshole anywhere it wants to be, Golem cant do anything about them either.

If you're geared for it, solar eclipses have some mad cash. Similarly, pumpkin/frost moons, but those have the downside of escalating to the point where you're probably gonna lose most of your gains to dying and then getting endlessly mobbed on respawn.

Solar Eclipses... Yeah, I really want to do those but it seems the enemies in the temple is supposed to drop items to craft Solar Tablets... Which they dont in my version, so I guess its 1.2.3+ (1.3.0.1) I've experienced a single Solar Eclipse but didnt get the Moonstone which I need to build a Celestial Stone (and the Eye Spring pet), I'll even have the stuff to make a Celestial Shell at that point, but thats also from 1.3.0.1.

I have a bunch of things to summon Pumpkin/Frost Moon with, I'm just getting most of the stuff from Plantera/Golem before trying those.

I'm gathering Pets as a priority, since yesterday I've gotten the Baby Dinosaur from the Extractionator, the Sapling that Plantera drops, the Eater's Bone off Eater of Worlds and the Baby Snowman from Ice Mimics, nice haul.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Supreme Helper Minion motherfucking done!
    Now to just get a copy of the server from the friend who hosts it, I've gotten every collectible in the game except the dinosaur pet I think, and call it a day... after 3-4 years.

Panda4You on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    if it's 4 blocks wide it should not be able to get past that...i'm curious what you mean by you filled it with wood. there should be 4 empty blocks around it completely, no front materials of any kind. the background should not matter

I had read on some forum that corruption couldn't affect wood and that you should make a barrier

• Options
    i had not read that about wood preventing the spread, that's an interesting idea. can you post a screenshot? i've never seen it spread past the 4 block rule but there are some other possible explanations. when you go hardmode you get the V effect of hallowed/corruption. when you break an altar you get a random spot of corruption somewhere (or a chance of a random spot of corruption appearing in non-hallowed location. killing plantera reduces the random chance but breaking a lot of altars could be bad news. anyhow, very odd, maybe an issue with the console version too?

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Are there really any blocks affected by hallow/corruption, other than stone, ice and grassed dirt? Edit: Oh yeah, sand too.

Panda4You on
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Panda4You wrote: »
    Are there really any blocks affected by hallow/corruption, other than stone, ice and grassed dirt? Edit: Oh yeah, sand too.

Corruption can convert mud/jungle into dirt.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Ah yeah, that was mentioned earlier. But that's a much slower progression than the grass/stone conversion isn't it?

Panda4You on
  • Options
    corruption is bad because you lose the chance to spawn other monsters in those environments, you want some of it contained but overrunning your world makes the druid lady cry...why would you do that?!?

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Plantera down, and first Biome Chest run complete. Scourge of the Corrupter sure does a number on post-Plantera dungeon mobs.

Looking forward to wrapping things up soon. Guess all I have left are the Temple, Solar Eclipse/Frost Moon/Pumpkin Moon/Martian Madness, Fishron, and Moon Lord. Big things, but nice and specific and endgamey.

• Options
    i had not read that about wood preventing the spread, that's an interesting idea. can you post a screenshot? i've never seen it spread past the 4 block rule but there are some other possible explanations. when you go hardmode you get the V effect of hallowed/corruption. when you break an altar you get a random spot of corruption somewhere (or a chance of a random spot of corruption appearing in non-hallowed location. killing plantera reduces the random chance but breaking a lot of altars could be bad news. anyhow, very odd, maybe an issue with the console version too?

fn09i20uz440.jpg

Inside the green area is 4-6 blocks of wood. it stretches to the other side of my admittedly hodgepodge living quarters!

not sure what happened, but it's annoying.

also, vampire knives seriously trivialize plantera and golem.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    It doesn't take much to trivialize Plantera and Golem if you have some decent wings

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    On console for a melee character what are some good pets and minions to farm for? Me and my friends tried taking on the Pumpkin Moon and the King just kinda wrecked us.

Do the zombie or the Werewolf do damage on the console? And also what would be the best way to farm a frost key to get the ice hydra turret?

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Best way to farm for all the keys is to make an afk key farm. Check youtube.

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    On console for a melee character what are some good pets and minions to farm for? Me and my friends tried taking on the Pumpkin Moon and the King just kinda wrecked us.

Do the zombie or the Werewolf do damage on the console? And also what would be the best way to farm a frost key to get the ice hydra turret?

I think there are only 3 Minions you can get on consoles right now? I've got 2 of them, Pygmy Staff from Plantera and the Slime Staff which is a fucking low drop % from slimes (1 in 10.000, thats why Slime Statues and lava exists.) I'm missing the Raven Staff from from Pumpking.

I use the pygmy guy, not sure if he is that good yet, since Vampire Knives kills shit so fast and I dont really notice his damage, I know the Vampire Bat Pet can damage enemies but it does only 1 damage repeatedly, good for stunning maybe? I have the Zombie and the Werewolf, havent tried them yet.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    Xaquin wrote: »
    fn09i20uz440.jpg

Inside the green area is 4-6 blocks of wood. it stretches to the other side of my admittedly hodgepodge living quarters!

it looks like you dug at an angle, which maybe is part of the problem? Like i always dig 4 wide straight shafts down and then 4 horizontal. so the actually diagonal point is more like 6+ blocks apart. i'd give that a try? just know that you don't need the wood to stop the spread but you will have to extend past where it has moved.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    fn09i20uz440.jpg

it looks like you dug at an angle, which maybe is part of the problem? Like i always dig 4 wide straight shafts down and then 4 horizontal. so the actually diagonal point is more like 6+ blocks apart. i'd give that a try? just know that you don't need the wood to stop the spread but you will have to extend past where it has moved.

You sorta do need the wood (or at least something) to stop the spread, because otherwise the gap is gonna get filled with thorns, which can spread the corruption.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • Options
    i believe with the vine growh, that only happens if you don't dig below the portion of the world that the background can be removed. i.e. if you dig far enough down those thorns don't grow that far, i think? I don't know, i'm going off my own experiences so i definitely could be wrong but i've never seen the 4 block rule broken on any of my worlds.

• Options
    Thorny bushes (as the wiki calls them) can grow at any elevation, and I'm pretty sure that they're the only ground-based vegetation growth that happens in areas with backwall, which a biome moat will tend to have.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    I just Hallowed the area around my ground base (most of my homes are in the sky) since NPCs won't leave homes in the Hallow. Does have the danger of having to deal with Hardmode enemies in my "safe" place, but I thought it was a fair tradeoff.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Next time I'll just build the entire thing in the sky

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Not too high though, or you'll have wyverns and harpies up in your grill. And everywhere else too.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Note if you get a multiplayer server - sometimes the server you are on will be decommissioned and they will forget to transfer any files at all to the new machine, making you and everyone you play with have to start over with just what you had in your inventory

Anybody interested in populating a six person server

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Enough NPC's and sunflowers should deal with that well enough

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I'll just build all my NPC houses

...IN HELL!!!

• Options
    i wouldn't mind popping in on other people's servers to help. i don't crave starting over but don't mind doing it. i actually really enjoy setting specific goals for myself like building hellevators between each biome and horizontal shafts in prep for hardmode. if you just want someone to come help farm named mobs i'd be happy to do that also. i don't have moon lord on farm yet but i'm getting closer.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    I went and build myself an AFK farm for a nymph because I really wanted a metal detector. I'm on a quest to build a cell phone. Got all the ground work done, got to the point where I was ready to install teleporters. Hardmode item. Effffff. I am on my 2nd world only and haven't progressed to hard yet.

I thought I had wasted my time but as I was leaving my farm a lost girl showed up on my lifeform analyzer. Dropped me a metal detector. woop woop.

Now I have a lot of fishing to do.

• Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    so I just have a straight 6 wide swipe from the surface to hell.. will that stop the spread?

Can you cure all the corruption/crimson in a world?

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    so I just have a straight 6 wide swipe from the surface to hell.. will that stop the spread?

Can you cure all the corruption/crimson in a world?

I'm in the middle of doing so now. I did some minimal containment before popping into hardmode (four block wide tunnels around my corrupt areas), but once I hit hardmode I just left things as they were for quite a long time. Corruption had conquered most of the east side of my map, but with the Clentaminator (Steampunker NPC sells it and the accompanying solution ammos) and a decent drill, I've got it mostly wiped back to where things were after a couple of hours of digging tunnels down, spraying in a wide arc around me.

It's got crazy range, so if all you really want to do is keep the stuff at bay it takes little effort. The Steampunker shows up as soon as you kill your first Mechanical boss, but I waited until I had beaten Plantera to start clean up.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    I went and build myself an AFK farm for a nymph because I really wanted a metal detector. I'm on a quest to build a cell phone. Got all the ground work done, got to the point where I was ready to install teleporters. Hardmode item. Effffff. I am on my 2nd world only and haven't progressed to hard yet.

I thought I had wasted my time but as I was leaving my farm a lost girl showed up on my lifeform analyzer. Dropped me a metal detector. woop woop.

I used the lifeform analyzer to get mine, but I didn't really get a lot of lost girl spawns until I got to the jungle. Technically she spawns more in the snow biome, but the jungle has so many spawns that happen even in well lit areas that I kept getting her over and over.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    So console progress report.

For my three man group we've found and unlocked the Crimson and Jungle chests. My brother is running guns so he got the Pirana Gun. I got the knives for my Warrior. Just need to go back to my farm world and hit up my dungeon for the Corruption weapon so I have more pew pew when knives are not needed. With my brother, my warrior in beetle armor and sitting in a honey Hole. Everything gathers below me in the lava and my friend helps burn then faster with his rainbow gun. We all got bat minions. I got the werewolf pet that deals 10 dmg a tick when it touches things.

We tried a few attempts at the Frost Moon but can't seem to break the 15 wave mark. Any tips for dropping the Ice Queen faster. Once she appears my brother gets in trouble because she attacks from like every angle and doesn't give him a safe zone. I'm figuring either ball or spear traps lining the lower lava pit to damage the things below us so we can pull our other friend and he can rain bow and everpine the shit out of the queen faster before she can be a problem.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Paladin wrote: »

I used the lifeform analyzer to get mine, but I didn't really get a lot of lost girl spawns until I got to the jungle. Technically she spawns more in the snow biome, but the jungle has so many spawns that happen even in well lit areas that I kept getting her over and over.
    Yeah, I couldn't get her nor the skeleton merchant to spawn at all until we built an arena in the jungle underground for plantera. The merchant basically moved in there, he was up like 50% of the time, and nymphs spawned so much we had half a chest full of metal detectors.

Panda4You on
  • Options
    It begins.
    eSJz50O.png
    Think imma sort all my shit by progression tier this time, assuming I actually manage to keep interest long enough to work on it.

• Options
    Is that muhfugging luminite torches?

• Options
    Nah, just white ones, at some point their sprites got tweaked to have fancy metal bases instead of just wood.

• Options
    Ah, didn't recognize them and thought the colour matched with luminite. :)

• Options
    For the Scourge Spear (corruption key) and the Vampire Knives, which of the gloves would be better? The Mech Glove or the Fire Gauntlet? Looks like Fire would cause me to lose 2% damage but adds a dot? I can see for the moons being good for spreading dogs with the Scourge spear as the 4 homing projectiles fly around dotting everything.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    For the Scourge Spear (corruption key) and the Vampire Knives, which of the gloves would be better? The Mech Glove or the Fire Gauntlet? Looks like Fire would cause me to lose 2% damage but adds a dot? I can see for the moons being good for spreading dogs with the Scourge spear as the 4 homing projectiles fly around dotting everything.

If you want a dot, you should really be using Flasks instead.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    That fireglove effect is 1 per second and doesn't mean shit.