Options

[Terraria] Thread: Dig, Fight, Explore, Build!

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    For the Scourge Spear (corruption key) and the Vampire Knives, which of the gloves would be better? The Mech Glove or the Fire Gauntlet? Looks like Fire would cause me to lose 2% damage but adds a dot? I can see for the moons being good for spreading dogs with the Scourge spear as the 4 homing projectiles fly around dotting everything.

If you want a dot, you should really be using Flasks instead.

Fire glove, frost armor, cursed flask.

MORE DOTS

:edit: oh boy, it's already big enough I have to start linking the screenshots because filesize, why does this game have so much stuff.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Things got quite a bit easier yesterday.

Managed in one trip to Hell to get both the Hel-Fire drop, and find the skeleton merchant that sells the yo-yo glove. Hadn't bothered with yo-yos much, I'd bought a counterweight earlier but never used it.

A string later, got my yo-yo bag and started killing everything in seconds. This is amazing - everything just bursts into flame and dies, the yo-yo is long enough that I can hide behind terrain and work it out to my targets, and as a bonus it's really easy to do exploration as I work up the hard mode armor progression in prep for the mechanical bosses and then Plantera.

As an added bonus, the melee helmets give me like ten more defense than the ranged / magic ones I was using, without really making me trade anything off.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Am I a fool for attempting the Cell Phone?

I got my Ankh Shield (which I have never used) easily. But fishing .... I've never tried it.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    If you like the information accessories, you aren't at all a fool. Just expect to do a lot of fishing before the RNG gives you the third bit you need for the fishing info acc.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    I'm trying the cell phone. So much fishing. I still need a radar, fisherman's pocket guide, weather radio, and sextant. I'm considering cheesing it a bit by fishing a bunch of the same quest fish then loading up different characters as has been discussed here. 1 quest every 30 min takes a long time.

• Options
    Right now, I'm prepping fishing/bait, and waiting on the merchant. I think I have all the drops (except the one from surface chests)

• Options
    On the surface chests drops, remember that wooden crates from fishing can drop those items.

• Options
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    On the surface chests drops, remember that wooden crates from fishing can drop those items.

I did not know that!

• Options
    I just built a bait farm for this reason. I also had a blood moon so I collected a bunch of fireflies. It is nice that wooden crates can drop radar so I am in essense "doubling up" my efforts while fishing.

I have to start saving the crates higher than wooden though. I've read you definitely want to save those for hardmode for a quick infusion of hardmode ore.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    For the Scourge Spear (corruption key) and the Vampire Knives, which of the gloves would be better? The Mech Glove or the Fire Gauntlet? Looks like Fire would cause me to lose 2% damage but adds a dot? I can see for the moons being good for spreading dogs with the Scourge spear as the 4 homing projectiles fly around dotting everything.

MORE DOTS

:edit: oh boy, it's already big enough I have to start linking the screenshots because filesize, why does this game have so much stuff.

Man, I don't even know what most of that shit is.

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    I just built a bait farm for this reason. I also had a blood moon so I collected a bunch of fireflies. It is nice that wooden crates can drop radar so I am in essense "doubling up" my efforts while fishing.

I have to start saving the crates higher than wooden though. I've read you definitely want to save those for hardmode for a quick infusion of hardmode ore.

It's a pretty good tactic, and I'll definitely be doing that on a new world and character if I choose to start over. Definitely going to make fishing a priority in any future game, being able to get a top tier pre-hardmode pick and saw just by fishing the oceans for a while, it would save a bunch of mining time.

Shimshai on
    Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    I'm surprised there's no trophy from Mothra?

• Options
    Cog wrote: »

MORE DOTS

Top to bottom, left to right, it is:
    Moon Lord drops, Lunar crafts (along with the cultist trophy)
    Duke Fishron drops
    Pumpkin Moon drops (and crafted armor), Frost Moon drops
    Solar Eclipse drops/crafts, Martian Madness drops
    Spectre crafts, Shroomite crafts, Golem drops/crafts, Plantera drops/purchases (can only buy tiki armor if you have a pygmy staff in your inv)

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Getting one of those Nazar things to drop is a chore, only thing I'm still missing in order to make an Ankh Shield, using a Dungeon Farm and its giving me serious cash, ectoplasm and rare items... But no Nazar.

Edit: Hallowed Key Mold dropped? I'll take it, just got the Frost Dragon Sentry as well, pretty handy.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    fishing

how often can you do quests? Is it really every in-game day? That seems a bit cray cray to me.

My Angler constantly gets killed during various eclipses and etc. Can I do all the quests in a pre-hardmode world? Or does it have to be hardmode to get the Cell Phone material drops?

At least lightning bugs are easy to get ....

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »
    fishing

how often can you do quests? Is it really every in-game day? That seems a bit cray cray to me.

My Angler constantly gets killed during various eclipses and etc. Can I do all the quests in a pre-hardmode world? Or does it have to be hardmode to get the Cell Phone material drops?

At least lightning bugs are easy to get ....

One per character per ingame day, and it's the same quest for everyone, hence the suggestions of fishing up a pile of the day's catch then running a pile of fish chumps through them.

All the fishing rewards for a cell phone are pre-hardmode.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Endgame Expert mode is starting to lose its charm. Gotta sacrifice a lot of mobility just to keep defense and damage output up, and it still only takes a couple of hits to get wiped out by the Celestial enemies. End result is just dipping into the new zones to draw out a handful of mobs, then hiding as best as I can while swinging my yoyo around the corners. Lots of kiting and not a whole lot of fun.

Only two towers left to drop, so I suppose there's no reason to turn back now, but I wish there was a tiny bit of a damage reduction on some mobs for solo play.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Endgame Expert mode is starting to lose its charm. Gotta sacrifice a lot of mobility just to keep defense and damage output up, and it still only takes a couple of hits to get wiped out by the Celestial enemies. End result is just dipping into the new zones to draw out a handful of mobs, then hiding as best as I can while swinging my yoyo around the corners. Lots of kiting and not a whole lot of fun.

Only two towers left to drop, so I suppose there's no reason to turn back now, but I wish there was a tiny bit of a damage reduction on some mobs for solo play.

As soon as you get even one banner for those enemies and hang it up they become a lot more manageable. Since the pillars spawn in relatively the same spot with only which pillar going in which spot randomized, you can set up bunkers to better fight the enemies from.

The weapons you can make just from the pillar drops also help make the successive ones easier. Since you're using melee, the biggest boosts would be the Solar Eruption from the solar pillar (think of a flail that swings and retracts as quickly as a sword and goes through walls) and a summon minion from the stardust pillar.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options

As soon as you get even one banner for those enemies and hang it up they become a lot more manageable. Since the pillars spawn in relatively the same spot with only which pillar going in which spot randomized, you can set up bunkers to better fight the enemies from.

The weapons you can make just from the pillar drops also help make the successive ones easier. Since you're using melee, the biggest boosts would be the Solar Eruption from the solar pillar (think of a flail that swings and retracts as quickly as a sword and goes through walls) and a summon minion from the stardust pillar.

Wow. You weren't kidding about the banners. It's not a particularly helpful strategy for a first attempt at the towers, but I can definitely see any future runs going much more smoothly. The enemies that were really getting to me were the Corites, and the banner dropped their damage from the 75ish area to single digits. Thanks!

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    what is this bizarre obsession the game has with yo-yos

is it like sonic adventure 2 and soap™ shoes

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Moon Lord down! I already built a world-spanning minecart track just for getting around, so it wasn't all that rough, but I was caught off guard and didn't have my full preparations when he spawned right on top of me. It came a lot closer to failure than I was comfortable with. Started running low on buff potions and ammo towards the end there, but it worked out.

Fun fight. Suppose the only thing left is Duke Fishron, then I'll call this bout of Terraria done.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    Seriously wrote: »

Redigit has been doing yoyo tricks a long time so in an update that added a minecart shooter lasers, cthulu's cousin as a final boss, banner drops, portal guns, animated dyes, several information displaying accessories, and over 700 other items, why not add some yoyos including ones he likes IRL?

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

Redigit has been doing yoyo tricks a long time so in an update that added a minecart shooter lasers, cthulu's cousin as a final boss, banner drops, portal guns, animated dyes, several information displaying accessories, and over 700 other items, why not add some yoyos including ones he likes IRL?

Also because yo-yos as weapons in video games are fucking rad as fuck

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Startropics represtin'!

• Options
    nice to know that fishing in Terraria is just as much of a pointless waste of time as every other game!

2 tin can
    5 wood crates
    8 seaweed
    8 old shoe
    32 bass

not one damn quest fish

• Options
    nice to know that fishing in Terraria is just as much of a pointless waste of time as every other game!

2 tin can
    5 wood crates
    8 seaweed
    8 old shoe
    32 bass

not one damn quest fish

If you're getting that much junk, it means the body of water is too small. Junk catches diminish and eventually disappear as the size of the water increases.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    How big is the body of water? What kind of rod? If your fishing power is high enough you shouldn't have that much garbage.

• Options
    the body of water is pretty small, but I don't have much in the way of lakes on the surface of the forest. I have a demonite pole (or whatever it's called)

• Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    The Goonies represtin'!

Also:
    https://twitter.com/onedropdesign/status/618916913867943937

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    The Goonies represtin'!

Also:
    https://twitter.com/onedropdesign/status/618916913867943937

Wait, they actually worked with Redigit to add some of their yo-yos to the game and now they're taking one from the game and making it into a real yo-yo? That's fucking awesome.

Also, I had never heard of them before and wow. Yo-yo fans are pretty serious about their hobby! They have some beautiful yo-yos though, I might actually pick up the Terrarian once they release it.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Wiped up Duke Fishron enough times to get the Tsunami, plunged through the Frost Moon up to Wave 11. No dying, but I didn't really feel like reforging my accessories for damage output or doing more Tower runs for more gear, so I'm calling it.

I forget just how much pure content this game has and how long it can take to chug through it all. I fear what any more big updates would do to my free time.

• Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Getting one of those Nazar things to drop is a chore, only thing I'm still missing in order to make an Ankh Shield, using a Dungeon Farm and its giving me serious cash, ectoplasm and rare items... But no Nazar.

Edit: Hallowed Key Mold dropped? I'll take it, just got the Frost Dragon Sentry as well, pretty handy.

Funny I got a nazar randomly before I even knew what it was. I just had it in a chest somewhere.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    the body of water is pretty small, but I don't have much in the way of lakes on the surface of the forest. I have a demonite pole (or whatever it's called)

Then make a lake. First, craft a bucket and fill it with water. Next, dig out a lakebed in the biome in which you wish to fish. Then, at one end of this future lake, dig a one-tile wide hole that is separated from where your lake is going to be by exactly 1 tile.

Now here's the time-consuming part; dump your bucket on top of the bit of ground separating your lake with your 1 tile hole, then fill your bucket with the water from that small hole, and repeat. Even though there is less than one tile worth of water in that hole, your bucket will always dump 1 tile worth of water every time you empty it, letting you create whole bodies of any liquid with just one bucket of that liquid, Jesus-style.

Alternatively, if you have the engineer in your world, you can drop an inlet pump at the base of your lake, then set a outlet pump at the top of a flight of one-block wide "stairs" that end just above the lake you want to make. Thanks to a quirk in the physics engine, liquids actually increase in volume as they flow over the edge of blocks, so the four blocks of water that was moved to the outlet pump will be more than four blocks worth of water by the time it returns to where the inlet pump is. Not that much faster that the bucket method (unless you make a lot of stairs) but you can use a timer for this trick so you don't have to click hundreds of times to get that 300+ block lake you need for ideal fishing conditions.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Weather, time of day and moon phase all have an impact on fishing power as well. If you want to fish efficiently, it's best to check out the wiki.

Sonar, fishing and crate potions are all worthwhile if you have the materials to make them.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »

MORE DOTS

Top to bottom, left to right, it is:
    Moon Lord drops, Lunar crafts (along with the cultist trophy)
    Duke Fishron drops
    Pumpkin Moon drops (and crafted armor), Frost Moon drops
    Solar Eclipse drops/crafts, Martian Madness drops
    Spectre crafts, Shroomite crafts, Golem drops/crafts, Plantera drops/purchases (can only buy tiki armor if you have a pygmy staff in your inv)

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    This game really makes me wish I was 14 again, and so I could just play hours upon hours with my friends. My friends always stop playing by around the 10 hour mark now.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    These fishing quests for the cell phone suck.
    e: Are the rewards completely random or does it prevent duplicate rewards?

BlazeFire on
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    They're random.

Might get 3 weather radios in a row.

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    had a goblin invasion start while I was farming the queen bee for the bee mount

which, sucks for the towns people, but I just got set up

took so long, by the time I returned home I'd forgot it was happening

fully jacked in bee swagger, and a medusa's head to boot

it was like a biblical plague erupted up from out of the ground

• Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited August 2015

Ahem. How about this?

http://imgur.com/GPHbHa2

They are roughly a month away from release! These just got back from getting their colorways.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG