As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Movies]Straightzi is Ruining Everything

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Hawkstone wrote: »
    Fawst wrote: »
    rhylith wrote: »
    I'll watch Woody Allen movies after he's dead.

Same with Polanski.

Don't deprive yourself like that. At least watch Chinatown. Or The Pianist. Those are truly amazing films.

But I do get it. I refused to watch Ender's Game until I inadvertently paid for it through a sub like HBO. It was the right move.

I had to decide to just back off boycotting media that people I personally loath participated in. Mostly because there are just too many terrible people in Hollywood that it becomes a thing where one is bound to be attached in some way to a project and that doesn't invalidate the work of the hundred odd other not terrible people who also participated.

We covered this last thread

but its pretty ok to not watch something with a child rapist in it and still be ok with watching something with some people who are kind of jerks or other comparatively minor crimes

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    NeoToma wrote: »
    I just think Adam Sandler is old and rich and doesn't have anything to prove anymore. Unlike other folks who would reach that point and retire he just keeps putting out movies because it's fun.

There is also something to be said for keeping the old money machine rolling for your less rich friends who need to continue working. If the man has any admirable quality is that he makes sure all his close friends are gainfully employed.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I just think Adam Sandler is old and rich and doesn't have anything to prove anymore. Unlike other folks who would reach that point and retire he just keeps putting out movies because it's fun.

There is also something to be said for keeping the old money machine rolling for your less rich friends who need to continue working. If the man has any admirable quality is that he makes sure all his close friends are gainfully employed.

Supposedly Jon Lovitz can still get a part in Sandlers' movies any time he wants, because Sandler's first big break was filling Lovitz' spot on SNL (which he had to leave to take a movie part that he ended up being too sick to film for).

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Regarding thoughts on Adam Sandler's motives, this review of Jack and Jill is sort of topical. If Part 2 was distilled into a single sentence it would basically be "he's a fraud."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z22fSyedgoE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTOL-Ph5SQM

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

Same with Polanski.

Don't deprive yourself like that. At least watch Chinatown. Or The Pianist. Those are truly amazing films.

But I do get it. I refused to watch Ender's Game until I inadvertently paid for it through a sub like HBO. It was the right move.

He's like a walking corpse at this point anyway. I can wait a few more years rather than tangentially contribute money to a rapist.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Moments in teaching that will break you.

"If it was the first movie then they wouldn't call it Episode Four."

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »

*shudder*

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »
    I love Snpwpiercer in it's messy weird atonal entirety.

That is a Bong Joon-Ho ass Bong Joon-Ho movie.

yo bale i'm on a bong joon-ho kick, i've seen the host, snowpiercer, and memories of murder, any suggestions for what i should watch next?

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Yeah, I thought Snowpiercer was excellent

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Balefuego wrote: »
    I love Snpwpiercer in it's messy weird atonal entirety.

That is a Bong Joon-Ho ass Bong Joon-Ho movie.

yo bale i'm on a bong joon-ho kick, i've seen the host, snowpiercer, and memories of murder, any suggestions for what i should watch next?

I was going to say Stoker before I remembered that was Park Chan-Wook

but

Stoker

YaYa on
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    I saw Ex Machina, I found it very good, the concept was very good, the robot was very well played... but the actors playing the human parts I think were less than formidable. Their characters are poorly written, their motivations seem pretty ridiculous, and I dont want to spoil it for anyone who hasnt seen it yet.
    I just have to say that the premise is VERY interesting, and the movie is not centered on the gimmicky side of sci-fi and robots, Im certainly going to look for more movies/books dealing with that specific subject.

@FANTOMAS Could you elaborate what you mean by this in spoilers? Because I saw the film a couple weeks ago and I really disagree. I'm not sure how it follows from "the film was very good, the concept was very good..." and so on.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Same with Polanski.

Not watching a few movies is NOT "depriving yourself". There's THOUSANDS of other ones out there to watch.

I mean, that's literally what it is. I didn't say "don't torture yourself," which is what you're making it out to sound like.
    I had to decide to just back off boycotting media that people I personally loath participated in. Mostly because there are just too many terrible people in Hollywood that it becomes a thing where one is bound to be attached in some way to a project and that doesn't invalidate the work of the hundred odd other not terrible people who also participated.

I find it far easier to do that when it comes to someone behind the camera than in front of it. In the case of Chinatown, it's one of the best performances I've seen out of Jack Nicholson, and it's just a beautiful film to look at. I saw it and The Pianist long before I knew about Polanski's past.

I don't watch Woody Allen movies because I just have no desire to most of the time. The only ones that have looked interesting to me are Vicky Cristina Barcelona, Radio Days and ... I guess that's it.

Also, holy shit, that guy has been fucking directing forever. Since 1966, the only years he didn't have a film come out are 67, 68, 70, 74, 76, and 81. He has had a film per year for the past thirty-four years.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

The solution, of course, is lying.

"Well, yeah, but the original three were silent films, way back in the 1910s. They lost all prints in the big fire in '86 before they could archive them, though, which is why IV-VI were treated as a standalone trilogy after that."

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

Same with Polanski.

Not watching a few movies is NOT "depriving yourself". There's THOUSANDS of other ones out there to watch.

I mean, that's literally what it is. I didn't say "don't torture yourself," which is what you're making it out to sound like.

"Deprive" still not the verb to use. WAY too strong. There's still the implication that certain movies need to be watched which is tiresome in the extreme.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

The solution, of course, is lying.

"Well, yeah, but the original three were silent films, way back in the 1910s. They lost all prints in the big fire in '86 before they could archive them, though, which is why IV-VI were treated as a standalone trilogy after that."
    The other solution, of course, is beating them until stupid stops coming out.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options

Same with Polanski.

"Deprive" still not the verb to use. WAY too strong. There's still the implication that certain movies need to be watched which is tiresome in the extreme.

I'm with you on the latter part: nothing needs to be watched. I'd argue strongly in favor of watching Chinatown because it's an incredible film. If that's off the table, no harm/no foul; watch LA Confidential instead, the only movie of its type to come close to matching Chinatown (for me).

• Options
    edited July 2015
    rhylith on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Christopher Nolan's next movie is already finished

Quay, a documentary about the stop-motion animators Stephen and Timothy Quay

6F32U1X.png
  • Options

Same with Polanski.

I'm with you on the latter part: nothing needs to be watched. I'd argue strongly in favor of watching Chinatown because it's an incredible film. If that's off the table, no harm/no foul; watch LA Confidential instead, the only movie of its type to come close to matching Chinatown (for me).

"Man you don't get it this one child rapist's movie is just so good man maybe give up your principles and give him some residuals so you can see it."

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnope.

He's in his 80s, I'm in my early 30s. I will outlive him barring some freak accident. I'll watch it when he's fucking gone.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    @Larlar, regarding that Jack and Jill review, they actually put the full version up on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXNsT7-Lwsk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc85QCF5414

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I'm fairly sure that Peter Dinklage is in Pixels because he wants to be. He has been in a bunch of nerdy films, either because he likes doing them or his agent has decided that it's a good angle after he had his big role in GoT. He didn't have as much nerdy roles before GoT, so maybe it's the agent thing, or maybe he just didn't have as many options and now that he's popular he can focus on stuff that is more relevant to his interests.

• Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Larlar, regarding that Jack and Jill review, they actually put the full version up on Youtube.

Oh, I must have linked to the...huh, I actually don't know what I linked to and why they're different.

What's happening.

Where am I.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular

Same with Polanski.

"Man you don't get it this one child rapist's movie is just so good man maybe give up your principles and give him some residuals so you can see it."

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnope.

He's in his 80s, I'm in my early 30s. I will outlive him barring some freak accident. I'll watch it when he's fucking gone.

yeah but it was on netflix. that money's already paid

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »

Same with Polanski.

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnope.

And netflix will at some point decide to renew that license, or license more of his movies, based on the number of people who watch it there.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    I was going to say Stoker before I remembered that was Park Chan-Wook

but

Stoker

Yeah, Stoker has some significantly creepy moments to it.

Much respect to Wentworth Miller for writing it under an assumed name and then sending the script around to see what would happen. Near the top of the Black List and selected by Park Chan-Wook is, uh, pretty solid.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »

Supposedly Jon Lovitz can still get a part in Sandlers' movies any time he wants, because Sandler's first big break was filling Lovitz' spot on SNL (which he had to leave to take a movie part that he ended up being too sick to film for).

https://youtu.be/hWk6JcheLMU

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Joolander wrote: »
    The concept of the "equal opportunity offender" was invented by and for assholes

So invented by Dennis Leary, most likely

Read as: "invented by Bill Hicks"

Please. Don Rickles was doing that shit on stage decades before either of them.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Mysst wrote: »

Same with Polanski.

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnope.

And netflix will at some point decide to renew that license, or license more of his movies, based on the number of people who watch it there.

I mean, that's fair

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

I'm really looking forward to this! We watched Boxtrolls again the other night and the little tribute to the art of stop motion at the end is so heartfelt and moving that I was wishing there'd be a movie about it. Obviously the Quays have a much different aesthetic than Laika, and I'm not terribly familiar with the Quays larger body of work but The Comb was a real mind blower to me at the time, like a dream captured on film. I guess might be bit of a let down if it turns out to be more of a biopic than about the art form, but I'm sure it will be interesting either way.

• Options

Same with Polanski.

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnope.

Thank you oh-so-much for twisting my words to make me sound like a doped-up rape apologist. I appreciate that, especially when I was clearly saying I see your point in why you wouldn't watch them.
    No, really, man.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Hey your original post a page ago was in reply to me stating basically exactly what I did in the one you just quoted. You then continued trying to sway people. Don't be mad at me for drawing the only conclusion I can from your line of posts, which is that the movies are so good that I'm somehow depriving myself by not seeing them because their director is a monster.

rhylith on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    i have a weakness for christmas films, and it's likely not going to be the worst christmas movie i see this year (i know, for instance, that WWE will have one out by year's end)

so yeah, i'll give that one a shot

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    That looks stellar.

And I hate Christmas movies!

Other than Gremlins and Die Hard, obviously.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Yeah Sandler and his lot may have become lazy and uninspired to do any actual acting or script writing, but Seth Rogan and Co. are still doing fun things. Horrary fun things.

This is the End is one of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time.

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Hey, Seth Rogen?

It's okay, buddy, you don't have to credit yourself for making the Interview.

We'd all understand if you didn't want to.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I liked the interview

Just not the parts with James franco

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Everyone in that trailer is someone I like.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Adam Sandler is the American Uwe Boll.

Sure, thre's a market for his movies. But, there's also a market for getting punched in the nuts. Doesn't make you smart for liking it.

That is incredibly unfair to Sandler.

Boll would buy the rights to a video game on the super cheap then take advantage of movie-making tax breaks to let people essentially funnel money through it. His movies were a tax scam.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
This discussion has been closed.