As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Really freaky traumatising illustrations

Dr SanchezDr Sanchez Registered User regular
This is a tough one. I am trying to find a particular series of illustrations by an artist online, they were really super creepy.

I can only really remember one, it looked like it was victorian era, there was a woman in bed, at the other side of the room was this huge twisted monster/creature thing? I am sure it had long slender limbs and tubes. I think it was injecting the woman or operating on her in some way.

(I think) the artwork had a similar style to this (it had more colour, wasn't quite so sketchy): http://www.worthashare.com/assets/spooky-3.jpg

Must have been 10 years ago when I saw it, there was a website that had a whole series and I remember being traumatised by them. No luck GIS-ing. Any ideas?

• NbspNbsp she laughs, like God her mind's like a diamondRegistered User regular
    Draw a rough example of what it looked like from what you remember and throw it into reverse google image search.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Twisted monster/creature thing with long slender limbs and tubes makes me think HR Gieger.

WARNING: THIS LINK TO GIS IS QUITE LIKELY NSFW.
    Does this ring any bells?

Edit: Thanks Ceres, corrected the spelling.
    Still totally NSFW though.

see317 on
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I believe it's actually spelled Giger, just FYI.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • LucidLucid Registered User regular
    Interesting how both misspellings (geiger, gieger) take you to the art but also either geiger counters or a woman posing with her motorcycle. That's the traumatizing part of this whole affair.

• WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    That really could be a lot of artists. Giger was really influential and dark imagery like that is not specific to one particular artist

You could always ask in the chat thread in the Artists corner.

Off the top of my head this painting by Justin Kaufman is similar but not exact to your description:
    offering.jpg

Wassermelone on
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    You said illustrations and I think he mostly worked in paint, but are you sure it isn't Zdzisław Beksiński?

• FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    It could be useful to know more about the artist. Is it digital work, or traditional but posted online, did you see the ilustrations on his personal webpage, in a museum page, in a comic book, in an online forum about art or ilustrations, etc.

Maybe you can sort of find the path you used to get to the ilustration, instead of looking for the ilustration on its own.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Whenever I hear about creepy drawings I immediately think of Stephan Gammel.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Whenever I hear about creepy drawings I immediately think of Stephan Gammel.

I thought exactly the same thing, except that the OP says the illustrations were in color, or at least had color.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Check this guy out:

http://www.beksinski.pl/

• E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    Did it also have an illustration of a giant skinned rabbit critter?

• firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    My money is on Beksinski as well, but if not, maybe check out Dariusz Zawadzki or Wayne Barlowe (*though Barlowe's stuff was more demons/hellscapes).

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    Could also be Edward Gorey?