As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Speedrunning through the [Trans Thread] in less than twelve parsecs

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Kochikens wrote: »
    German and many other germanic languages actually very specifcially have gender neutral pronouns built in, part of the masculine/feminine/neutral noun distinction

I think in certain dialects of german (Niederdeutsch?) theres only gender neutral pronouns, even

Like, germany even has a gender neutral option on birth certificates now.

Huh. In that case I feel like English really dropped the ball in not cribbing that.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Swedish is crazy cool, go read about how they treat gender neutrality and gender in language

Then go read about finnish, those fucks are even crazier

Then go look at esperanto and frown at how they decided to handle it

• Options
    German and many other germanic languages actually very specifcially have gender neutral pronouns built in, part of the masculine/feminine/neutral noun distinction

I think in certain dialects of german (Niederdeutsch?) theres only gender neutral pronouns, even

Huh. In that case I feel like English really dropped the ball in not cribbing that.

I mean i dont speak german so i could be wrong, but languages are cool and everyone should open up their minds to linguistics and prepare to have it blooowwnn

Its really a fucking shame that more north americans arent bilingual or more

• Options
    Swedish is crazy cool, go read about how they treat gender neutrality and gender in language

Then go read about finnish, those fucks are even crazier

Then go look at esperanto and frown at how they decided to handle it

There is little about Esperanto I don't frown at.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited October 2015

I mean i dont speak german so i could be wrong, but languages are cool and everyone should open up their minds to linguistics and prepare to have it blooowwnn

hurray for our broken education system

although to be more fair, a lot of folks in the US who learn a second language have very little opportunity to use it and so the ability atrophies

I took four years of spanish in high school and college but since I lived in the middle of nowhere in kentucky I never had the chance to practice consistently. I went from speaking the language well enough to travel around rural spain on my own to barely remembering basic sentences

Kilroy on
  • Options
    Tbh i dont think its entirely down to education, unless you say that education is responsible for the culture and attitude of 'fuck everyone who doesnt learn english, english is the best and most superior language in the world, everyone else should just learn english instead of me learning their language because im lazy'

Aka, kochi cant get away with refusing to learn dutch anymore

• Options

I do think languages, and Germanic languages in particular are fascinating, but I mostly just know about them from things I've read on Wikipedia. I'm interested in learning German, but also find it intimidating.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Kilroy wrote: »

hurray for our broken education system

It has more to do with need than anything functionally wrong with our education system. Even if someone were incline to learn German, where would they speak it? Same with the majority of languages save perhaps Spanish in the south west I suppose. We live in a gigantic country that only really has one dominant language that also happens to be one of the most spoken languages globally. Without an actual reason to learn the languages it seems less about laziness and more about complete lack of reason. At best it will be a gold star on your resume that would rarely get used.

• Options
    I expanded on my post to address that point but took ten minutes to do so

• Options
    Tbh i dont think its entirely down to education, unless you say that education is responsible for the culture and attitude of 'fuck everyone who doesnt learn english, english is the best and most superior language in the world, everyone else should just learn english instead of me learning their language because im lazy'

For America's part, our legislation surrounding education funding is entirely focused around standardized test performance and learning another language doesn't do much for that. And if it don't contribute to funding, school's not going to put up money for it.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

I think it is a major contributor

I have known a lot of xenophobic, racist, nationalistic teachers and those worldviews get passed on to their students

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Vdz8sZhYoM

Jamie continues to be adorable.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Guys the Sweedish chef from the muppet's real name is Megan and was told by Christina Applegate to "go girl live your truth"

I love this show.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Not exactly trans related, but yeah.

Most people who hear about microaggression complaints argue that whatever it was they said isn't that bad, but never stop to think how universal those belittling comments are and how often they're passed.

microaggressions.jpg

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Knowing how much crap so many people have to deal with is why I really appreciate sentiments like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7LBggDKEtM&ab_channel=AnimationDominationHigh-Def

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Knowing how much crap so many people have to deal with is why I really appreciate sentiments like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7LBggDKEtM&ab_channel=AnimationDominationHigh-Def

yes I agree cats make everything better

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Except cat allergies.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Except cat allergies.

everything

the presence of cat makes the allergies... more

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    aca9dc58374102eef128abf48e84d824.jpg

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    I'm pretty allergic to cats and I didn't even figure it out until a few months before I moved out so we had like three cats. When I moved I was super psyched to not have to deal with it anymore. Of course my new place has tons of stray cats lying around and someone keeps leaving food for them in my front yard.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    A trans friend of mine shared a picture today. (MRA TW)
    The picture said

"Hey ladies, if you're so worried about receiving child support payments, there's an easy solution! Give the kids back to the man!

It left me so god damned pissed off, I responded "This is fucking garbage" and talked about like, if the mother was a homemaker who economically cant get a job that pays enough, or if the mother can't get a job to match the lifestyle from pre split, then they were arguing she wasn't fit to be a parent. She and her new wife reaponded with "oh no, this isn't for those situations, this is for when obviously mentally ill mothers are handed sole custody of the children and use the child support money on themselves".

I wish I had just unfriended at first, I didn't need to see some MRA bullshit from someone today, let alone a trans woman.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    em.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Also, not to make today the "complain about everything day" but the day before I came to Toronto I received my voter information card.

Addressed to my current address, which I moved into last year.
    Addressed to my deadname which was changed four years ago.

Which means that at some point since the last federal election, Elecrions Canada verified my contact information with some other likely federal agency, but didn't choose to use my legal name.

• Options
  • Options
    ameybesameybes vvvv MERBERNRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    So I found out I've lost some muscle today; I thought my shoulders looked a little smaller last week. Go hormone balancing!

Can I grab the item? Yes
    Can I lift it? Yes, of co...no wait hang on, another grip...huh. let me think about this...huh. shit. No lift, not even a little.

I can't recall the last time I couldn't lift something I wanted to. Feels kind of weird.

ameybes on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Nothin like trying to escape embarrassment by blaming the person you offended

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    ameybes wrote: »
    So I found out I've lost some muscle today; I thought my shoulders looked a little smaller last week. Go hormone balancing!

Can I grab the item? Yes
    Can I lift it? Yes, of co...no wait hang on, another grip...huh. let me think about this...huh. shit. No lift, not even a little.

I can't recall the last time I couldn't lift something I wanted to. Feels kind of weird.

I was helping someone move a few weeks ago and then moving the same things a few weeks later and it was interesting to see what was harder to lift.

I also stopped going to the gym so that might have something to do with it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Pretty soon you won't be able to open jars!
    Oh god don't kill me.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Desire PathDesire Path Between here and there.Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I so look forward to that day!

Had to move some folding tables at work a few days ago and decided I hadn't done anything sufficiently manly in a while to keep my cover so I just went to solo lift it and omg it's nailed to the floor or something.

Desire Path on
  • Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    Just so long as you lift with your knees and not with your back.

Throwing your back out moving a 2lb bag of weed&feed from behind your lawnmower on the morning of your first day of your three day weekend is no fun at all! (granted, spending the last 5 years doing a job where, in order to reach your "efficiency percentages", you pretty much have to lift things improperly didn't help)

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin

Can I grab the item? Yes

If it's a problem you can do stuff to maintain your strength. Ain't no rule that a woman can't be physically strong.

• Options
    ameybesameybes vvvv MERBERNRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

Can I grab the item? Yes

If it's a problem you can do stuff to maintain your strength. Ain't no rule that a woman can't be physically strong.
    If I have to choose between the occasional utility of lifting heavy things and the everyday utility of passing when I walk down the street, I'm afraid I choose the latter every time. Itsagood

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular

Can I grab the item? Yes

If I have to choose between the occasional utility of lifting heavy things and the everyday utility of passing when I walk down the street, I'm afraid I choose the latter every time. Itsagood

Honest question: are MtF people more likely to bulk up from strength training? I have several cis-woman friends who work out and are quite strong, but don't look musclebound or anything. You can see definition in their limbs if you look for it, but it's not obvious the way it is on their cis-male counterparts.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Calica wrote: »

Can I grab the item? Yes

Honest question: are MtF people more likely to bulk up from strength training? I have several cis-woman friends who work out and are quite strong, but don't look musclebound or anything. You can see definition in their limbs if you look for it, but it's not obvious the way it is on their cis-male counterparts.

The lack of testosterone really prevents a lot of the "bulking up" from happening. It's been a long time since I took strength/conditioning but iirc it's the fast muscle fibers that build "bulky" muscle, and that's just easier for bodies with testosterone to produce. The slow muscle fibers are more lean muscle, which everybody's got.

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Also depends on the kinds of exercise. I believe higher reps at lower weights get you more toned than bulky.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »
    Also depends on the kinds of exercise. I believe higher reps at lower weights get you more toned than bulky.

Completely correct! Bulky muscle is also mostly useless, too. It's way more aesthetic than functional.

• Options
    Calica wrote: »

Can I grab the item? Yes

Estrogen is a muscle killer, so taking testosterone blockers and estrogen would make it pretty hard to gain significant muscle mass. Most women who see strength gains are getting it primarily from improved CNS recruitment. I know women much, much stronger than me who don't look at all "bulky".

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Completely correct! Bulky muscle is also mostly useless, too. It's way more aesthetic than functional.

Neither of these are true I'm afraid, but this isn't primarily a bodybuilding thread so I don't want to drag things too off topic.

Higher reps and lower weight is actually hypertrophy work. It's what bodybuilders and atheletes do when they want to gain muscle.

"Bulky" muscle (as you'd associate with bodybuilders) is still extremely functional Powerlifters are better adapted for lifting extremely heavy weights but big bodybuilders can still throw a lot around.

This concludes my diversion.

• Options
    I'm picturing a hedgehog at the gym, now, and it's adorable.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Estrogen makes me pretty happy, you guys. I was reflecting on it earlier. I feel 'right' in a way I never really have before? It's so hard to describe, but it's amazing.

Also I'm 8 weeks in now! It feels like it's been so much longer than that.

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
This discussion has been closed.