Options

Wet Hot American [TV] Thread

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    scherbchen wrote: »
    my mom is unable to pull a "we didn't have fun growing up, that's a new thing" card on me because, as she has told me, she saw star wars in theaters like, seven times

To be honest no one after the Great Depression can pull that.

dunno there. my dad was 8 in bombed-out Berlin when the war ended.

I meant specifically in the U.S.

You also probably meant specifically white then too.

Just like a heads up that you might want to check your privilege there.

There's a lot of white immigrants also post Depression.

Yeah, sorry, I should have phrased that better, I was being glib.

Let me be clearer:
    my mom is unable to pull a "we didn't have fun growing up, that's a new thing" card on me because, as she has told me, she saw star wars in theaters like, seven times

Bullshit.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    The Cigarette Smoking Man is in the X-Files revival and the whole point of that character is the conspiracy plot

• Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    Speaking of CSM, I'm curious about his inclusion, given that (original show spoilers)
    we saw him literally get blown up by missiles in the series finale.
    I'm honestly wondering how much the new series will actually address that.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    kaceyp wrote: »
    Speaking of CSM, I'm curious about his inclusion, given that (original show spoilers)
    The world's meant to have ended by now, so I'm hoping for some kind of Grant Morrison-esque answer.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    kaceyp wrote: »
    clearly those missiles were part of the conspiracy!

• Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    The real answer to all of these questions is, of course
    tumblr_inline_muvmav0j1L1qfe40r.jpg

• Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015

I grew up poor.

In a city with 5 times the national violent crime rate, 3 times the national property crime rate, and riddled with poverty.

And neither I nor my parents grew up completely devoid of fun.

So maybe you should read what I was actually replying to instead of jumping straight to throwing out privilege checks, because I didn't say anything about everyone growing up without food security issues, systemic racism etc. I specifically replied to a comment about parents telling their children that their own childhood was one completely devoid of fun and consisting of two parts misery and one part getting kicked in the crotch.

There's a lot of white immigrants also post Depression.

Yeah, sorry, I should have phrased that better, I was being glib.

Let me be clearer:

Bullshit.

But by no means should you take a second to think about what is actually being said before you jump on your high horse to right the wrongs of the internet.

NSDFRand on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    How come I've always refered to him and the Cigarette Smoking Man, everyone I know refers to him as that, yet the show specifically calls him Cancer Man.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    Holt reciting that url absolutely slayed me on B99 this week.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    How come I've always refered to him and the Cigarette Smoking Man, everyone I know refers to him as that, yet the show specifically calls him Cancer Man.

Because before we knew that term fans dubbed him CSM

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular

Both B99 and Review figured out this year that the funniest thing in the world is treating the internet like it's a new phenomenon.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »

Both B99 and Review figured out this year that the funniest thing in the world is treating the internet like it's a new phenomenon.

https://youtu.be/7446rKYd2W8

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    I have bingewatched season one of The Blacklist while sick in bed
    It says a lot about just how much I love James Spader, because without him I would not have watched more than two episodes.
    Like, even the gueststarring character actors can't save the writing for the most part.

...does season two get better? I kind of want to watch it....

Send help

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited November 2015

My favourite part this week was, I am acknowledging your feelings.

Blake T on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    It is a good time to be Bruce Campbell

Because he just appeared on Fargo

playing Ronald Reagan

Michael Showalter has some competition

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Fargo is not fucking around tonight.

Last pint: Ridgeback Red / Block 15 - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I just blitzed through all of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend tonight. I really dig it! And binging it lets you catch a lot of little touches, like Rebecca telling Greg in episode 2 that drinking boba makes her think of sucking on little tumors and then in episode 5 we see her downing one with Josh - only to immediately pitch it the second he leave.

There's very much a sense that these episodes aren't being created in a vacuum - the writers know who the characters are and are unveiling htem to us bit by bit, and the stuff that happens in later shows is consistent with and informed by (and often puts a new spin on) seemingly minor details from earlier ones.

• Options
    BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Fargo rules, but it gets so damn tense, I keep thinking every character is going to bite it! What an awesome show.

BillyIdle on
    PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited November 2015

Because before we knew that term fans dubbed him CSM

But Mulder refers to him as that in like the second season!

Plus it wasn't like we were all on the internet in the early 90's. I know for sure no one in my household was looking that up yet we all used that name.

It's like the universe independently came up with the name Cigarette Smoking Man.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Joel Hodgson just launched a Kickstarter, asking for $2 million to produce 12 new episodes of Mystery Science Theater 3000

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Fargo is one of the few tv shows where I legitimately feel like I have no idea what will happen next or who will get smoked. Not just unsure of how it will happen or whatever, but totally in the dark.

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Joel Hodgson just launched a Kickstarter, asking for $2 million to produce 12 new episodes of Mystery Science Theater 3000

that is

a LOT of money

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

i'm really torn on this

they really couldn't get anyone to pony up the money for this? netflix? syfy/comedy central?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options

It's $2 million for three episodes. If they hit $5.5 they do 12.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

that is

a LOT of money

Movie rights ain't cheap.

• Options
    rhylith wrote: »

that is

a LOT of money

What is the highest grossing kickstarter?

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    wow those reward tiers are not good

$35 gets you... the first episode, that's it.

$100 for all of them (only 3 if they only hit the first funding point, 12 if they hit 5.5)

Naphtali on
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular

that is

a LOT of money

Also I wouldn't be surprised if MST3K itself had some complicated rights issues. Given the various channels and behind the scenes shifts it has had.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options

that is

a LOT of money

Highest grossing is pebble at 20 mil.

Highest grossing film and video is Veronica Mars at 5.7 mil.

A 2 million dollar budget is not that much money for the production of a tv show.

• Options

that is

a LOT of money

Highest grossing is pebble at 20 mil.

Highest grossing film and video is Veronica Mars at 5.7 mil.

A 2 million dollar budget is not that much money for the production of a tv show.

It is a lot of money to ask for crowd funding

• Options
    For a known and beloved property?

Nah.

• Options
    Okay

• Options
    i might throw in a 10, but that's it

• Options
    BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    I'm not an expert on copyright law, but couldn't they use really old movies that are public domain to cut the costs?

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Options
    The reward tiers are pretty bogus. But 2 million dollars doesn't seem insane to me.

As for established properties/crowdfunding projects that likely could get studio backing. I still find a lot of bits of that problematic. But it's hard to work up any feelings about it now. It's pretty much just the way of things.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    wow those reward tiers are not good

$35 gets you... the first episode, that's it.

$100 for all of them (only 3 if they only hit the first funding point, 12 if they hit 5.5)

I really don't get the tiers. Let's say this is successful and they make 3 episodes. Are they planning on selling them for $35 each afterwards on digital platforms? I can't imagine that pricing leading to many sales.

• Options
    They don't really do a good job explaining what the $2 million gets them. It sounds like they've already settled the rights, in which case its just strictly for the production of new episodes. But yet $3.3 gets 6, $4.4 9, and $5.5 12.

Considering they previously did the show on a shoestring budget and it was fantastical, I assume what we're really paying for is the cast's highly increased profiles compared to 1999.

• Options
    Oh wow. 2 million is just three episodes? Yeah ok. That's a lot harder for me to chew on.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    You are not paying 35 dollars for an episode.

You are paying 35 dollars because you want to see this project happen, and in return you get an episode.

Kickstarter is not a preorder it's about helping people make something you'll enjoy that wouldn't otherwise be produced yadda yadda yadda I say this every time someone bitches about reward tiers not being to their liking.

This discussion has been closed.