As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[amiibos] The Great Restockening is Upon Us. Hie Thee to Target.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Do the Zelda figures from the Smash line do anything?

in?

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

in?

Breath of the Wild, sorry. I know the classic Zelda figures do stuff.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I wouldn't be surprised if the game doesn't tell the difference between Smash Link vs. Ocarina Link or Toon Link vs. other Toon Link.

• Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    I was under the impression that all copies of the same character did the same thing.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if the game doesn't tell the difference between Smash Link vs. Ocarina Link or Toon Link vs. other Toon Link.

I'm sure it can, but whether it will is another story. I do suspect all of the Zelda amiibo will work in some capacity tho. I could see Ganondorf enabling hard mode since he seems to do that in all zelda games he is compatible with (excluding Hyrule Warriors of course)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    I was under the impression that all copies of the same character did the same thing.

Depends on the game. Mario Kart 8 only sees "Link". Smash Bros. can tell the difference between Toon Link and regular Link. So far, Breath of the Wild is confirmed to at least tell the difference Wind Waker Link, Ocarina Link, 8-bit Link, and Wolf Link (and I'm sure Archer and Horseback Links will have unique functions as well).

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    So far there's no official word of support for the Smash figs. Just the BotW amiibo, the Anniversary ones, and Midna/Wolf Link. Midna/Wolf Link has the best functionality anyway.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

in?

It doesn't look like it, these are the only amiibo compatible according to the official site:

http://www.zelda.com/breath-of-the-wild/amiibo/
    8-bit Link will reward you with a random number of barrels. You might find rupees inside too!

Ocarina of Time Link will reward you with a random amount of meat.

Toon Link will reward you with a random amount of fish.

Wind Waker Zelda will reward you with a random selection of plants.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    skeldare wrote: »

in?

It doesn't look like it, these are the only amiibo compatible according to the official site:

http://www.zelda.com/breath-of-the-wild/amiibo/
    8-bit Link will reward you with a random number of barrels. You might find rupees inside too!

Ocarina of Time Link will reward you with a random amount of meat.

Toon Link will reward you with a random amount of fish.

Wind Waker Zelda will reward you with a random selection of plants.

The official site is wrong a lot though (I still remember it saying Duck Tales had amiibo compatibility :D). I have a real hard time believing they won't support every Zelda amiibo. Though it's entirely possible classic Link and classic Toon Link will be the same as the new ones (classic Zelda possibly too).

Honestly, even looking at it now, it seems more like they are trying to advertise/sell you the new ones with that page. You've got the brand new ones coming out with the game, the anniversary ones *just* released, and Wolf Link which has special functionality that they made a specific point to talk about at e3 (also I've heard rumblings recently of stand-alone listings for Wolf Link showing up in store inventories, so he will probably be "newly" sold outside of TP HD). So basically, they are trying to sell you stuff with that page and the old ones probably have boring functionality to them (or like I said, some overlap) that isn't exciting enough to mention.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    I specifically bought a Shiek amiibo and a Princess Zelda amiibo so that I could level a 20 heart Wolf Link amiibo in TPHD. I hope the older amiibos have BotW functionality, but if they don't - I'll be OK.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    Looks like the mystery two-pack is Alm and Celia to support a new Fire Emblem game.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    C2fEJU8VQAAGJop.jpg

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    I have no idea who they are but holy crap, they look great.

• Options
    Don't worry, they'll be in Smash 5. :P

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    but still no corrin or bayonetta amiibo... corrin i dont care about because they would probably make it a male avatar again, but the last 3 smash amiibo should already have been released.

• Options
    Those are being held back for obvious reasons.
    Super Switch Bros.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    I have no idea who they are but holy crap, they look great.

They're the heroes of Fire Emblem Gaiden. And pretty near the bottom of the list of people I ever expected to get amiibos.

• Options
    Also, it seems the price of Amibos has been permanently raised to $16.

Which sucks, but hard to complain about that level of detail. Now if only they revised Marth to make him look non-derpy...

• Options
    Other Amiibo news:

(Their guess is based on the fact that the product code follows the pattern of other Smash releases)

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Breath of the Wild figures are up for pre-order at Target.com.

edit: shipping only btw

Dirty on
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    I've been waiting for the FE Echoes amiibos to go on sale on Amazon for 83 years

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Also there are apparently 90 Mario Sports Amiibo cards if you feel like driving yourself bonkers.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
  • Options
    Reasonably priced. Very nice!

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Half the ones theyre selling are the stupid animal crossing amiibo that no one wants.

• Options
    They made so many of those, I think they account for half of all amiibo.

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Number of First Wave Amiibo in picture: 14
    Number of First Wave Amiibo on Store: 1

Not the best tweet!

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Warlock82 on
  • Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Yeah :( I am going to maintain a fool's hope that they were showing the fan custom amiibo because there really IS one coming, and it was all this clever tease where they didn't want to show the actual real one just yet... sure, that could be it, right? :P

Warlock82 on
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    My hopes:

d25e4d7acb7b00224c56610f5bcce92e.jpg

latest?cb=20091016210740

Groose-Screen-Large.jpg

(It's not gonna be Groose. But holy crap, I would buy Groose SO HARD)

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    They're going to be Link amiibo. You know it's true.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    I don't think we have enough Link figures. Between amiibo, World of Nintendo figures, Figmas, statutes, and Nendroids, he is seriously underrepresented.

• Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    The miib fatigue is really setting in even though I'm still as interested as ever in these things. The wild pricing swings and availability crisis of the "collector" audience being into them make trying to get ones you're interested in a total nightmare.

My GF is a little neurotic about keeping things in box unopened, so in the interest of using Sheik to get Breath of the WIld miib content I went off to amazon, figuring a second Sheik would be a $10 or so pickup. Nope! They're going for $55.

Alright, so Sheik is out. The new BotW miibs are cool, it's March 7th or so, I figure I'll pick a couple and get them on Amazon Prime so we can use them in-game while we're super invested in it. GF would love the Zelda, we've already got a Smash Zelda NIB so maybe she'll relent on opening/using one of them for BotW. I waffle between Archer Link and Rider Link and put one in the cart with BotW Zelda. Two days later they arrive.
    GF loves the Zelda figure so much she refuses to open it, and it turns out I had picked Rider link when I was really leaning towards Archer as a cooler figure / in-game bonus, so I hop back on annnnnnd Archer link and Zelda are both sold out and going for $35+.

At this point my only real hope is that Nintendo either doesn't care about making amiibo "exclusive" or "limited availability" and freely re-issues old figures so people can't charge through the nose for PIKACHU ORIGINAL MOLD RARE SMASH MODEL or whatever and/or that they continue producing enough of them that the "collector" audience falls off steeply when people realize they're going to be in for hundreds of dollars to get everything new.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I think you can scan amiibo right through the box. You could on Wii U, at least

dN0T6ur.png