As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[amiibos] The Great Restockening is Upon Us. Hie Thee to Target.

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I walked into a TRU this morning just to see what they had for Bowser Jr.....

I should have taken a picture but I'm not kidding when I say I counted and there were 72 of them just sitting there.

They had 2 Ganondorf left, 1 classic mario, probably 40 or so Olimar, and no ZSS. I already have those 4 on order from best buy so I wasn't worried about them.

The only ones I don't have at least on order are the modern mario and Dr. Mario. I'm in Canada so Dr. Mario is a wal-mart exclusive here, and I've made it a personal choice not to shop at Wal-Mart, haven't set foot in one of their stores in probably 15 years, so I'll acquire a Dr. Mario somehwere else at some point. I'm not sure if I'm going to get the modern mario.

This is also semi-related to amiibo, but at TRU I also saw, and bought, the gamecube controller adapter for Wii U. I've never seen one in person. Just about fell down when I saw it on the shelf.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    My Ganondorf arrived today, despite not shipping until Thursday. Meanwhile the Dr. Mario who shipped last Monday is still in transit -_-

(of course, I also unlocked the Ganondorf costume in Mario Maker already but not Dr. Mario, so it's doubly annoying :P I'm sure I'll unlock Dr. Mario RIGHT before the amiibo arrives...)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    According to Amazon my 3 amiibo that I order yesterday should be delivered tomorrow. It was weird to have the option for free Sunday delivery but I jumped on it.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I'm assuming Dr. Mario will arrive Monday despite being in the city. I don't believe UPS delivers on Saturday (ironic the one that transferred to USPS arrived first... they are usually garbage)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    I like to buy amiibos of my friends' main Smash guys as presents, but I got a Ganondorf from Target is a pretty shitty box (I open mine, but it would be a bad present!) so I went to return. A fellow amiibro was leaving with Dr. Mario and saw me returning G and asked about it. We reminisced about amiibo hunting while waiting and he purchased it right after I returned it.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
      Well I'm a giant sucker and bought the 8 bit Mario amiibo tonight.

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
      I think I have decided to unbox the rest of my Amiibo that I haven't gotten to.

Villager (EU), Dedede (JP), Pit, Pitoo, Bowser Jr, Pacman, and 30th Mario. My Amiibo shelf is calling them. So is Mario Maker.

bYf6vNQ.png
      Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
      [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
    • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
      I wish i could find the 8bit mario, i dont think it will be a hard to find one eventually but so far the only new one i found was a ZSS, everywhere else just empty pegs for the new ones.

I really want one for my desk at work.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
      I feel bad about some of you not finding what you wanted. My TRU was fully stocked yesterday. :(

Why can't you all just teleport here? I mean, geez.

bYf6vNQ.png
    • ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
      Yes! I got a Ganondorf MSRP at a gamestop. I've taken my first step into a larger world.

I wonder if my phone can scan NFC chips.

Children's rights are human rights.
    • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
      redfield85 wrote: »
      I feel bad about some of you not finding what you wanted. My TRU was fully stocked yesterday. :(

Why can't you all just teleport here? I mean, geez.

Because then they would be picked bare and you'd not get what you wanted. We're just trying to be nice.

Steam: Polaritie
      3DS: 0473-8507-2652
      Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
      PSN: AbEntropy
      edited September 2015
      tfatciqkej0c.jpg

Oh god. I did it. They are NOT MINT NOW. *pushes up nonexistent nerd glasses*

And now...ALL MAH BABAYS.
      1isqd8rllwo9.jpg[/spoilers]

redfield85 on
      bYf6vNQ.png
    • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
      Super Mario Maker is making me wish I could get ahold of some rarer amiibo. Hell, it's making me think of picking up DK, Diddy, Yoshi, and Pikachu - four I've passed on so far.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
      Pikachu I guess is one I should get
      But still I hold out hope I can get Lucina and Robin for a reasonable price

• RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
      Has US yarn yoshi amiibo been available yet? I know the bundle is up but what about the separate ones? I needs me a blue yoshi!

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
    • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
      Brainleech wrote: »
      Pikachu I guess is one I should get
      But still I hold out hope I can get Lucina and Robin for a reasonable price

I mean there will definitely be more Pikachu amiibo. I'd holdout for a pokken one myself

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
      Pikachu is 9.98 at work last I checked

Riokenn wrote: »
      Has US yarn yoshi amiibo been available yet? I know the bundle is up but what about the separate ones? I needs me a blue yoshi!

Not until the game comes out in October.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
      I wanna see more amiibo collections next to WiiU game collections. I already suspected there were probably a lot of people who have spent way more on figures for these games than the games themselves. I just wanna see by how much. :)

• McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
      Dirty wrote: »
      I wanna see more amiibo collections next to WiiU game collections. I already suspected there were probably a lot of people who have spent way more on figures for these games than the games themselves. I just wanna see by how much. :)

I did some quick math, If I go by MSRP, I've spent over twice as much on games as I have amiibo.

But, I almost never pay MSRP for a game, so its alot closer to 1:1. About 1.24:1 in favor of games not counting VC or DLC stuff.

But I also got a lot of my amiibo for "free" due to trading ratios at the beginning of the amiibo insaneness, so I dont have a real number.

• General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular

That involves calculating how much one has spent on amiibo, which violates the first rule of amiibo.

3DS Friend Code:
      Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
    • TairuTairu Registered User regular
      I've only got maybe 2 Wii u games that function with amiibo

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
      i had no amiibos until friday.

We were getting work done on our car and wandered into a GameStop. The sales guy says "HEY DO YOU WANT TO SEE THE NEW AMIIBOS?" and my girlfriend says no thank you.

"I dont even know what they really do." she whispers to me. "Me either" I said.

The sales guy says they got some restocks, too. Holds up a whole bunch of ones, and then says "We even have 1 of the Splatoon 3-pack!"

My girlfriend stops. Looks up at it. "Can I just get the squid?" she asks. "No, only have this 3-pack!" The clerk responded.

We keep walking around the store, it's about 11AM, and I ask why she would even be interested. "I love Splatoon...and I like the squid guy." she responds. A few people walk into the store.

They immediately are demanding the new Amiibos. Grabbing Dr. Mario, Olimar, ect. Loudly cheering about it. "Maybe we should get the Splatoon ones. Just those." she says to me. "It's up to you." I respond. "We really dont need them." She decides to keep looking around the store for a minute while she thinks.

Now its about 11:03, and a woman walks into the store with a list. "I need Zero Suit Samus, and Olimar, and Dr. Mario." she says. My girlfriend looks over.

"Oh Olimar is cute." she mutters. I point out she's never played a Pikmin, she doesn't have Smash Brothers, and there's literally nothing we could even DO with Olimar right now. "I know...and you're right. We don't need these."

We're walking to the door when the woman at the counter says "Is that a Splatoon 3-pack? Yeah, give me that."

She freezes in her tracks and gives me the saddest look of all time. We watch the transaction finish, the woman rushes out of the store, checking items off her list, and we quietly follow her out. No one said a word.

About 10 minutes later in Trader Joe's, she says "We really don't need them. The Amiibos. We don't even play Splatoon all that much." I agree. We continue shopping.

In the lobby of the mechanic waiting for our keys, she turns to me. "So like...we wont see that 3-pack ever again, will we. Thats the amiibo thing, right? You just wont see it?" Probably not, I say. She pulls out her phone. A few taps later, she exclaims, "$77 on Amazon!? Wasn't it just $30ish in there?!"

I pat her on the shoulder. "We blew it." She says.

I pulled out my phone, and did a little googling. "Well, I mean, I REALLY don't care...I don't need them, I don't really want any Amiibos. But the GameStop 30 minutes away has the 3-pack in stock..."

As the clerk handed her the keys back to her car, she said "Enter the directions."

---

I will not allow myself to get hooked on this, but I do have to admit...I slightly, involuntarily cringed when she ripped the packaging open and placed them on the computer desk.

...and I'm thankful Sonic seems to be pretty plentiful. Just encase.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    • General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
      edited September 2015
      That squid is great. Just look at it.

General_Armchair on
      3DS Friend Code:
      Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
    • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
      The ugly seam on its tentacles is so bad.

But the detailing on the ink splash is so good.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
      My son bought Bowser Jr. yesterday with his birthday money. I'm not a fan of the character but it is a pretty great figure overall.

Now if they could just get Wii Fit Trainer back out there for me...

• OrestusOrestus Registered User regular
      My experience reading this thread over lunch:

[Pictures of Animal Crossing Amiibo's]

"Ah...finally a set

I think I've probably spent more on Amiibos than I've spent on all the games I have for WiiU plus the console itself lol. I have 37 Amiibo's and for WiiU all I have is the console (250) and Smash Brothers, Mario Kart and Mario Maker (60 each I think?)...so I'd say I'm right about even in amounts, have mostly paid MSRP for my amiibo's, a couple 20 dollar imports but balance that out w/ a couple 8 dollar ones when TRU did their buy one/get one half off promo last holiday season.

redfield85 wrote: »
      tfatciqkej0c.jpg

Oh god. I did it. They are NOT MINT NOW. *pushes up nonexistent nerd glasses*

And now...ALL MAH BABAYS.
      1isqd8rllwo9.jpg[/spoilers]

We all know you have duplicates of all of them still mint in box.

mxmarks wrote: »
      i had no amiibos until friday.

We were getting work done on our car and wandered into a GameStop. The sales guy says "HEY DO YOU WANT TO SEE THE NEW AMIIBOS?" and my girlfriend says no thank you.

"I dont even know what they really do." she whispers to me. "Me either" I said.

The sales guy says they got some restocks, too. Holds up a whole bunch of ones, and then says "We even have 1 of the Splatoon 3-pack!"

My girlfriend stops. Looks up at it. "Can I just get the squid?" she asks. "No, only have this 3-pack!" The clerk responded.

We keep walking around the store, it's about 11AM, and I ask why she would even be interested. "I love Splatoon...and I like the squid guy." she responds. A few people walk into the store.

They immediately are demanding the new Amiibos. Grabbing Dr. Mario, Olimar, ect. Loudly cheering about it. "Maybe we should get the Splatoon ones. Just those." she says to me. "It's up to you." I respond. "We really dont need them." She decides to keep looking around the store for a minute while she thinks.

Now its about 11:03, and a woman walks into the store with a list. "I need Zero Suit Samus, and Olimar, and Dr. Mario." she says. My girlfriend looks over.

"Oh Olimar is cute." she mutters. I point out she's never played a Pikmin, she doesn't have Smash Brothers, and there's literally nothing we could even DO with Olimar right now. "I know...and you're right. We don't need these."

We're walking to the door when the woman at the counter says "Is that a Splatoon 3-pack? Yeah, give me that."

She freezes in her tracks and gives me the saddest look of all time. We watch the transaction finish, the woman rushes out of the store, checking items off her list, and we quietly follow her out. No one said a word.

About 10 minutes later in Trader Joe's, she says "We really don't need them. The Amiibos. We don't even play Splatoon all that much." I agree. We continue shopping.

In the lobby of the mechanic waiting for our keys, she turns to me. "So like...we wont see that 3-pack ever again, will we. Thats the amiibo thing, right? You just wont see it?" Probably not, I say. She pulls out her phone. A few taps later, she exclaims, "$77 on Amazon!? Wasn't it just $30ish in there?!"

I pat her on the shoulder. "We blew it." She says.

I pulled out my phone, and did a little googling. "Well, I mean, I REALLY don't care...I don't need them, I don't really want any Amiibos. But the GameStop 30 minutes away has the 3-pack in stock..."

As the clerk handed her the keys back to her car, she said "Enter the directions."

---

I will not allow myself to get hooked on this, but I do have to admit...I slightly, involuntarily cringed when she ripped the packaging open and placed them on the computer desk.

...and I'm thankful Sonic seems to be pretty plentiful. Just encase.

Who are you, why are you evil, and why are you trying to kill a budding gamer girl before it is born?

Orestus wrote: »
      My experience reading this thread over lunch:

[Pictures of Animal Crossing Amiibo's]

"Ah...finally a set

I think I've probably spent more on Amiibos than I've spent on all the games I have for WiiU plus the console itself lol. I have 37 Amiibo's and for WiiU all I have is the console (250) and Smash Brothers, Mario Kart and Mario Maker (60 each I think?)...so I'd say I'm right about even in amounts, have mostly paid MSRP for my amiibo's, a couple 20 dollar imports but balance that out w/ a couple 8 dollar ones when TRU did their buy one/get one half off promo last holiday season.

You have just violated the first rule of Amiibo, in which we do not discuss how much we have spent on Amiibo.

I don't know how much I have spent as I have traded for them as well.

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular

Considering I have 41 Wii U titles, I doubt I spent more on figures.

FU7kFbw.png
      Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    • DirtyDirty Registered User regular

Of course you have a lot of games when you don't have standards.

Ooh, sick burn yo.

FU7kFbw.png
    • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular

That wasn't remotely necessary. :?

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
      Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
      PSN - Brainiac_8
      Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
      Add me!
    • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

I've got just about as many. I'd like to think I've got some standards.

Nintendo Console Codes
      Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
      For a game that got beat up pretty bad review wise, Mario Party has been a giant hit in my household. My son had a sleepover for his 11th birthday on Saturday and they played for a good 2.5 hours taking turns playing as Bowser in that 4 vs 1 mode. I think sometimes those minigame compilations get treated pretty unfairly by critics.

• McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
      For a game that got beat up pretty bad review wise, Mario Party has been a giant hit in my household. My son had a sleepover for his 11th birthday on Saturday and they played for a good 2.5 hours taking turns playing as Bowser in that 4 vs 1 mode. I think sometimes those minigame compilations get treated pretty unfairly by critics.

That game in particular got hid hard by "its not exactly how I remember the first two" in several of the reviews.

I haven't played it myself but I've seen plenty of posts similar to yours spread throughout my normal websites and forums.

edited September 2015

Check out the gem puzzle game in the "extras" section. A friend and I lost a good two hours to that alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jBCPcFNHrk

maximumzero on
      FU7kFbw.png
      I've played Mario Party a few times and it's a pretty not terrible game for a night on the couch with some friends and a few drinks. It is by no means GOTY material but for what the game is supposed to be it does it fairly well.