As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[amiibos] The Great Restockening is Upon Us. Hie Thee to Target.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    It doesn't help that amiibos have 2 extremes. Either they never sell and collect dust like Animal Crossing and some of the less popular Mario characters. Or they sell out completely and don't get restocked for months, then sell out completely.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    My Target's amiibo section is barren with only a few animal crossings, Daisys, and Waluigis.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I haven't seen any amiibo sections in my area get restocked in a really long time. It's just been a smattering of things that there are hundreds of and a lot of empty racks in multiple stores.

I'm still wanting that damn OOT Link amiibo but probably not gonna get reprinted.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    a lot of the EB games (canada's gamestop) around where I live don't even have shelf/rack space for Amiibo anymore.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    The place I work at usually manages to hold on to them for about a week after release. We just put them in with the Nintendo Switch stuff but they no longer have their own section.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Doesn't the new Spaltoon amiibos come out soon?

• Options
    It kinda makes sense to just clear out the AC and old Mario stuff for good, then stop having a dedicated section. Just kind of mix them in with the Switch accessories when some new figures come out, then spread the accessories back out when the figures sell out.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Doesn't the new Spaltoon amiibos come out soon?

Still no release date other than "later this year."

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Yeah, Target loves clearing shelves, I wouldn't worry.

• Options
    So, uh, there's going to be a Dark Souls amiibo.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Well that's the first amiibo that I frankly don't care about.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I MUST HAVE THIS TOO

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Also Smash Switch is a thing for this year, so brace yourselves.

• Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Though I guess at this point we don't even know if it will have amiibo support, or if it's a port or a new game entirely.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular

Though I guess at this point we don't even know if it will have amiibo support, or if it's a port or a new game entirely.

Of course it's gonna have amiibo support, come on.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »

Of course it's gonna have amiibo support, come on.

Well I assume it does, too. I just wonder if they would restock the entire Smash line, or maybe even come up with new sculpts for all the characters. If it's a new game, I would guess all new amiibo.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Snip

I MUST HAVE THIS
    I MUST HAVE THIS TOO

Welp, there's the first print, here's waiting for the second printing!

(Seriously, though, that's awesome and I want one too, so hopefully they make a good amount of them.)

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    A new smash line would be interesting. I’d resist it since we’re so far in at this point.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    weren't those originally announced for May?

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    weren't those originally announced for May?

There was no release date when they were announced, so some retailers may have had placeholders

https://www.destructoid.com/-update-pearl-and-marina-amiibo-announced-as-off-the-hook-hold-first-concert-487242.phtml

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    So the Dark Souls amiibo is apparently a GameStop exclusive, only available online, in extremely limited quantities... Oh and it's already sold out. -_-

Edit: Apparently it's available but GameStop's website is complete shit. This worked for me

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    So it's only at Gamestop sigh

• Options
    I managed to get an order through but that suuuucks.

• Options
    Yeah, nothing like exchanging my 20% best buy discount for a $5 GameStop shipping fee... *sigh*

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    In Australia the Solaire amiibo is exclusive to Nintendo Australia's ebay store.....

I am not joking.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    plufim wrote: »
    In Australia the Solaire amiibo is exclusive to Nintendo Australia's ebay store.....

I am not joking.

but Oz's mail system is bonkers expensive

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Ayup. It's just the worst.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    I managed to order one through the second link so hoooooooopefully they honor it.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    I managed to order one through the second link so hoooooooopefully they honor it.

Oh cool that link is working for me too now. I tried it around an hour ago and it kept denying me.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I have no interest in the Dark Souls amiibo but I like that it exists. I want more third parties to take a chance on amiibo, especially Wayforward. Their characters are so cute and colorful - they’d fit perfectly with the Nintendo ones. I’d buy the shit out of a Shantae line.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    So it's only at Gamestop sigh

Ok so I went to Gamestop today to see about stuff and ask if I could pre order it

I asked about the not amiibo Wipeout item they said it's out next week. I then asked about the dark souls amiibo to which they answered it's not for pre order it will be in store and more than enough of them for pick up in May
    I was taken back by this as this is the first time Gamestop has not offered a pre order to me

• Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    They might’ve just been confused because the pre order was online only so they had to do it through the web-in-store interface

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    I went in Monday and they told me preorders were all full on Sunday. :(

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    So, I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this but here goes... My brother-in-law has been swallowed whole buying Skylanders Imaginators for the Switch for my nephew(s). The game is utterly ridiculous with how it tries to squeeze you for money. But the game's fun, and the character creator mode is kinda neat.

So, I have the following questions which I can't seem to find answers for:
    • When you scan an official character for the first time, it raises the max level cap of all characters, and unlocks a side-quest stage unique to them. Is this a one time deal, or do you need to hang on to each figure?
    • Apparently the Switch version lets you keep a shortlist of characters ready to play instead of needing to leave a figure on a "portal" scanning peripheral like previous generations; what's the upper limit of slots for this?
    • Do you need the creation crystals after using them to make a custom character?
    • I've seen that the character creation crystals can't have their class reset; is the console remembering their individual serial codes, or is that data being stored on the crystal?

Basically, I'm trying to figure out if I can just borrow the stuff my nephew's gotten to unlock extra stuff and then play with my own custom characters, or would I need to buy my own creation crystals and keep all the plastic on hand to periodically re-scan shit? Because there's no way I can afford to get it in the latter case.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    So, I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this but here goes... My brother-in-law has been swallowed whole buying Skylanders Imaginators for the Switch for my nephew(s). The game is utterly ridiculous with how it tries to squeeze you for money. But the game's fun, and the character creator mode is kinda neat.

So, I have the following questions which I can't seem to find answers for:
    • When you scan an official character for the first time, it raises the max level cap of all characters, and unlocks a side-quest stage unique to them. Is this a one time deal, or do you need to hang on to each figure?
    • Apparently the Switch version lets you keep a shortlist of characters ready to play instead of needing to leave a figure on a "portal" scanning peripheral like previous generations; what's the upper limit of slots for this?
    • Do you need the creation crystals after using them to make a custom character?
    • I've seen that the character creation crystals can't have their class reset; is the console remembering their individual serial codes, or is that data being stored on the crystal?

Basically, I'm trying to figure out if I can just borrow the stuff my nephew's gotten to unlock extra stuff and then play with my own custom characters, or would I need to buy my own creation crystals and keep all the plastic on hand to periodically re-scan shit? Because there's no way I can afford to get it in the latter case.

I don't have the game but I think I know the answer to a couple of these. Apologies if any of this is wrong as I'm going off what I remember hearing:
    • As far as I am aware, you get the bonus every time you scan a new character (I think specifically a new sensei? It's definitely *only* for Imaginators figures and not older Skylanders) and that bonus is permanent (but it's a one-time bonus per unique character).
    • I *think* there is no upper limit and you can potentially scan every single Skylander this way. (If there is a limit, I think it's very large, like 500 or something...)
    • I'll answer your last two in this one. The custom character is saved to a creation crystal (and yes, saved *to* the crystal) and the crystal can't be reset as you mentioned (I know there was a lot of complaining about this one). I'm not 100% sure how the Switch version works since it saves your characters to the system for easy portability, but in the other versions you'd need to scan the crystal every time to use that custom character. I guess if the Switch version saves them you don't need to do this, though you might need to re-scan it to save progress after leveling up and such?

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    @Warlock82 Hey, thanks for the response. So, looks like at worst I'd need to get my own crystals. Hrm, that's still really expensive (crystals are ~$10 a pop). I mean, it's not like the official characters where you're getting a toy out of the deal; this is just straight up charging $150 (starter game + 9 crystals for each class or element) for something most games would consider standard features (10+ create-a-character slots).

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    I'm surprised that stuff isn't dirt cheap since the last game sold so bad they didn't make a new one for 2017 (it used to be annual).

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Dirty wrote: »
    I'm surprised that stuff isn't dirt cheap since the last game sold so bad they didn't make a new one for 2017 (it used to be annual).

I think they just scaled down production early enough that most major retailers aren't sitting on a lot of inventory; just in the first page search results on Google for the creation crystals, Gamestop, Target, and Walmart are showing "out of stock" listings for certain elements. Prices only drop when you have a lot of stock you want to clear out.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png