As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[amiibos] The Great Restockening is Upon Us. Hie Thee to Target.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Xaquin wrote: »
    No one knows when they're coming out

I preordered the day they went up and supposedly they're scheduled to ship on January 17th =p

Supposedly the release date is November 10th

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    I don’t think the Champion amiibo have been released yet. But I was able to get preorders without a problem.

This Friday they are released; I meant getting them pre-ordered I guess.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
      skeldare wrote: »
      Xaquin wrote: »
      No one knows when they're coming out

I preordered the day they went up and supposedly they're scheduled to ship on January 17th =p

Supposedly the release date is November 10th

my bestbuy preorder shows Nov 10 release.

Steam: Cilantr0
      3DS: 0447-9966-6178
    • Options
      XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
      My champion amiibos just shipped via fedex from Walmart.

walmart claims they will be shipped on Jan. 8th (still)

the fedex tracker says they'll be here November 14th

a little late, but hey, at least I'll have them unlike 3 or 4 other Zelda amiibos

• Options
      plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
      Got Urbosa. Good detail on this lot.

For Urbosa that clear stand is actually better than expected. Not frosted but actually clear. Also good detail on her front, which i was worried about given every shot was from behind

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
      steam_sig.png
    • Options
      XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
      edited November 2017
      All four champion amiibos arrived today!

they look great!

edit: and yeah the urbosa stand isn't as bad as it looked in the promo shots .... but it still looks bad imo. especially since it doesn't look like it really needed to be included at all if they'd have just given her flats instead of high heals (high heals in the desert?!).

Xaquin on
    • Options
      RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
      Looking forward to getting home from work. I wants my champions!

Now if we only knew everything they’ll do. Is it just the divine beast costumes? Hmmmm.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
    • Options
      I doubt it's just the costumes. I'd bet on at least something along the lines of Epona/Wolf Link. Not to say you'll get a companion (although hey, why not?), but they'll almost certainly have unique features for the DLC campaign.

They almost have to really, since there doesn't seem to be functionality for the champion amiibos as "tap any zelda-series..." in other titles, so this is really the only time for them to shine.

• Options
      The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
      edited November 2017
      Champions came today.

Weird, they came without Nintendo announcing something in BotW for them?

Or did they already say what they do, and I missed it?

I thought for sure they would be tied to the second DLC, but I guess not.

I'll load up the game in a few and test if they do anything currently in-game. I doubt they do, because it would have been datamined long ago, unless BotW got a stealth update.

EDIT: I'm really confused as to why Nintendo did another round of the Majoras Mask Link, but not the Skyward Sword or Twilight Princess ones. They're now the only two Zelda amiibos I'm missing still.

The Dude With Herpes on
      Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
      Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
      Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
      wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
      Champions came today.

Weird, they came without Nintendo announcing something in BotW for them?

Or did they already say what they do, and I missed it?

I thought for sure they would be tied to the second DLC, but I guess not.

I'll load up the game in a few and test if they do anything currently in-game. I doubt they do, because it would have been datamined long ago, unless BotW got a stealth update.

EDIT: I'm really confused as to why Nintendo did another round of the Majoras Mask Link, but not the Skyward Sword or Twilight Princess ones. They're now the only two Zelda amiibos I'm missing still.

it got an update a couple days ago.

– Added support for the Revali / Daruk / Urbosa / Mipha amiibo
      – Xenoblade Chronicles 2 side quest and collaboration equipment added
      – Fixed an issue with Hero’s Path Mode in which “x marks” weren’t recorded with version 1.3.0 or later
      – Various fixes to improve the gameplay experience

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    • Options
      edited November 2017
      Ah, I see.

Well I'll check reddit then, because I'm sure someone has figured it out already; before I spend an hour reloading saves checking for unique rewards.

Off the top of my head I'd guess their main function would be to recharge their respective abilities, with no specific gear.

EDIT: Helmets, looks like. No idea on buffs or anything like that.

EDIT EDIT: Judging from the boxes, looks like maybe they also can give new/alternate versions of their unique weapons?

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
      edited November 2017
      I will say that regardless of what there is in game, these champion figures are fucking gorgeous. The colors and detail are fantastic.

Very nice.

EDIT: They don't recharge your abilities, fyi.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
      DirtyDirty Registered User regular
      I only picked up Daruk. I don't think I've ever seen Goron figures before outside of these amiibo, so even though I'm not as attached to this Goron specifically, he can kind of represent the whole race on my shelf. (Though this is yet another reminder of how annoying it is that 95% of Zelda merch is just various versions of Link.)

Since the Zora and Rito look so different in this game compared to other installments, Mipha and Revali just don't feel as iconic.

• Options
      AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
      edited November 2017
      Too bad they didn't make Doomiibos. Cyber demon would have been shit hot.

AbsoluteZero on
      cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    • Options
      Dirty wrote: »
      I only picked up Daruk. I don't think I've ever seen Goron figures before outside of these amiibo, so even though I'm not as attached to this Goron specifically, he can kind of represent the whole race on my shelf. (Though this is yet another reminder of how annoying it is that 95% of Zelda merch is just various versions of Link.)

Since the Zora and Rito look so different in this game compared to other installments, Mipha and Revali just don't feel as iconic.

There are 22 LoZ amiibo, 11 are Link, one of those 11, one is wolf link. It doesn't seem too unreasonable to have the main character of the series make up half the amiibo designs.

Anyway, the champion helmets are, like the rest of the non-set helmets in the game, not terribly useful after you have access to set bonuses, because they break them up. Otherwise they're just pretty basic effects, heat/cold/lightning protection and a swim speed one. They upgrade like any other helmet, but their basic buff doesn't seem to change.

Definitely don't buy them for the BotW items. Though, aside from Fierce Deity, that's true for pretty much all the amiibo.

• Options
      Well I was talking about Zelda merch in general. So many fucking Links.

• Options
      I've been wanting to take a photo of all my amiibo, Smash Bros trophy style. I figured I finally had enough amiibo to do it.
      byeu5x18h0ju.jpg

I think I have an amiibo problem.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
    • Options
      Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
      edited November 2017
      I think most of us that post here have a similar problem. :P

Edit: Ok, your Rydia sprite in the background is awesome and I want it. :P

Brainiac 8 on
      3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
      Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
      PSN - Brainiac_8
      Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
      Add me!
    • Options
      homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
      edited November 2017
      Dirty wrote: »

There are 22 LoZ amiibo, 11 are Link, one of those 11, one is wolf link. It doesn't seem too unreasonable to have the main character of the series make up half the amiibo designs.

Anyway, the champion helmets are, like the rest of the non-set helmets in the game, not terribly useful after you have access to set bonuses, because they break them up. Otherwise they're just pretty basic effects, heat/cold/lightning protection and a swim speed one. They upgrade like any other helmet, but their basic buff doesn't seem to change.

Definitely don't buy them for the BotW items. Though, aside from Fierce Deity, that's true for pretty much all the amiibo.
      The helmets actually do give a set bonus, or at least that's what the Switch News article announcing their release said. They can be equipped with the Ancient equipment to get Ancient Proficiency.

homogenized on
    • Options
      edited November 2017
      Brainiac 8 wrote: »
      Edit: Ok, your Rydia sprite in the background is awesome and I want it. :P

@Brainiac 8 I made it. I can make another if you really want one. PM me if you'd like to discuss it.

RidleySaria on
    • Options
      AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
      I was shocked to see the Champions on the shelf yesterday. Checked my pre-order and yup, they were in at Best Buy. I also saw a Bayonetta P2 in the wild, which suprirsed me!

I think this means I have all the Amiibo released this year.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    • Options
      Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
      edited November 2017
      Had Revali and Daruk in my hands at TRU, then I noticed they were $4 more than all the other Amiibo. WTF? So Nintendo knows LoZ Amiibo are hot enough to warrant higher prices, but not hot enough to not under produce them?

Capt Howdy on
      Steam: kaylesolo1
      3DS: 1521-4165-5907
      PS3: KayleSolo
      Live: Kayle Solo
      WiiU: KayleSolo
    • Options
      Yeah all zelda botw amiibo have a premium. It sucks.

steam_sig.png
    • Options
      Luckily there seems to have been a production bump / second run for the holiday season; both links, zelda, and a couple guardians were available at bestbuy last I looked. Didn't see any Bokos, weirdly enough.

• Options
      edited November 2017
      Bought my brother Daruk for xmas. Holy shit he may be the best if the new batch. So detailed and expressive.

plufim on
      steam_sig.png
    • Options
      Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
      Broke down and bought Revali. He really was the most memorable guardian to me. Target had all four, shockingly enough. None of the new Links, more's the pity.

Steam: kaylesolo1
      3DS: 1521-4165-5907
      PS3: KayleSolo
      Live: Kayle Solo
      WiiU: KayleSolo
    • Options
      Ultimately I found the Champions kind of forgettable. It doesn't help that they've been dead for 100 years before the game even starts. Plus this game really doesn't flesh out it's characters as much as previous (more story-focused/linear) Zeldas. Maybe the new DLC will make me more attached to them.

• Options
      edited November 2017
      Stopped by a walmart today (something I always regret doing, incidentally) and there were two things of note in the video game department:

- amiibos are down to two pegs on a floor shelf; the only ones there were Waluigi and Daisy.
      - no indication the Vita ever existed - no games, accessories, or consoles even though they've still got original Wii games, PS3 stuff, etc.

Molybdenum on
    • Options
      BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
      Molybdenum wrote: »
      Stopped by a walmart today (something I always regret doing, incidentally) and there were two things of note in the video game department:

- amiibos are down to two pegs on a floor shelf; the only ones there were Waluigi and Daisy.
      - no indication the Vita ever existed - no games, accessories, or consoles even though they've still got original Wii games, PS3 stuff, etc.

Yeah I don't get why at the hell known to men I work at has that same issue

• Options
      cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
      Off topic, but Vita was quietly yanked from retail like six months ago or so.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    • Options
      Sony pretty much stopped acknowledging Vita awhile back so why should retailers be any different?

With all of the other toys to life lines imploding I wonder if amiibos are next. Their saving grace might be that they don’t need to support a single game series, so it’s not like they need to pump out another sequel for every wave of new figures. They’re making new figures for games they’re already making and that fans aren’t tired of yet. Since the games don’t revolve around the figures like with Skylanders they also aren’t obligated to put out a line of toys for a game that might not be popular enough to sustain it.

• Options
      Of the old guard Amiibos are pretty much the last man standing.

Then there's that Lightseekers Awakening thing. I know pretty much none of us have heard of them, but do the kids like 'em?

• Options
      OptyOpty Registered User regular
      Skylanders and Disney Infinity had the problem where they needed to stock the current game's new figures but also keep the more popular figures from the previous games around. The Amiibo line is happy to ditch old shit and cycle in new shit whenever they want, something retailers must like more than needing to keep a static set of things on the shelves forever.

• Options
      Well, the interesting thing about the walmart amiibo situation is that the miibs were in a shelf segment with generic Nintendo accessories and branded merch. Keychains, regular figurines, 3DS third-part cases and styluses, etc. That whole floor shelf was maybe 12' long with space divided between switch and 3ds stuff, generic 3rd party gaming accessories, etc. The back side of that 12' span was entirely other toys-to-life brands - the Skylanders and Disney and Lego things all have their own interactive displays like amiibo do at other retailers.

• Options
      TayaTaya Registered User regular
      Since my Champions amiibos finally arrived, I decided to take a picture of my entire amiibo collection:

e9Ss73P.jpg

• Options
      that is many miibs

• Options
      BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
      Mine are all over the house and in several boxes I should do something with them but then I know where they are

• Options
      edited November 2017
      I just noticed the Skyward Sword Link import is way down on price the last few days on Amazon (down to $25, was $50 or so a week-ish ago).

Did that one get another round of units like the Majoras Mask did a couple weeks ago?

I'm tempted to grab it at $25 but if it is actually being restocked I can just check a couple stores. I'm checking websites and not seeing any indication of a restock, though.

EDIT: In the process of posting it, the price jumped up to $31. Must have just been a one off seller. :rotate:

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
      AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
      I thought Skyward Sword was the Amazon exclusive, meaning it would be damned hard to even jump on it if a new reprint was made?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    • Options
      Athenor wrote: »
      I thought Skyward Sword was the Amazon exclusive, meaning it would be damned hard to even jump on it if a new reprint was made?

Exclusives wear off after some time.