The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[NSFW] Sublimus' Sketchbook & Studiesssssssss

124»

• SublimusSublimus AustinRegistered User regular
    ASK, AND YOU SHALL RECEIVE

(Did this at lunch before I saw your comment, but it works, so hey.)

doodle_060.png

They've been all bipedal so far because they are actually all part of the same project. I've basically given myself a design brief of "FPS Enemy, Humanoid Alien, No Guns". And also experimenting with process at the same time. Once I get one I like, I'm gonna do it up in ZBrush.

Prospicience
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Hah, nice! Zbrush's interface still gives me nightmares, but your aliens are well suited for sculpting. Are you planning to do a refined turnaround of whatever you pick?

I like the spider, he's suitably spidery.

Yeah, ZBrush is kind of a nightmare. I have an expert in the office though, so that will help! May or may not do a turn around, not sure. Their kind of boring, but if I think I have to I will haha.

Here are some crazy colors! Probably too over the top, but it was fun.

doodle_061.png

doodle_062.png

two more aliens, and a photobash head. I'm going to do some headdress designs on top of it.

doodle_063.png

doodle_065.png

doodle_064.png

I suggest moving out of painting in symmetry after you hit a certain point with rendering, for human faces at least. Faces are more imperfect and uneven than we perceive, so the perfection creates uncanny feelings when you look at it.

tapeslinger
    @Iruka You know, i don't really see it, but others have said it too, so I'll just paint on top a bit to break it up.

Messed around with ZBrush and modo in-between overwatching today. much to learn here.

sculpt001_modo.png

An easy exercise is to take a picture of your own face (or take any picture of a person that's normally recognizable to you) that's as straight on as possible and mirror the sides. Some people have fairly symmetrical faces, but you'll usually always get an odd variation between the two mirrored versions of their face, and the original.

Female celebrity photos with their faces all blown out are probably the place where you'll see the least variation. I personally think symmetry in faces makes them a bit stiff.

But! My laziness!!! :P

124»