As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

LP: Beyond Earth! Update #4 New Carthage, Old Ruins

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    I second the vote for renaming our starting city to Abydos, and I also believe that we should begin work on a Clinic and research Pioneering

• vertrouevertroue I am Female Totes Not a SithRegistered User regular
    "And these alien. Damned things. This damned place."

As to the more mundane parts.

"Getting a clinic off the ground is a good idea. Especially since we don't know yet what hell hole we just landed in. Get those geeks of yours working on the new tech. Pioneering is a good start. Even though I want to push to get my boys outfitted, we need supplies on the ground."

Blood and Fire
    From the Desk of Darth Vertroue Diplomat to the USA.
  • GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    Mayor Gizzy of a Future Catopia endorses Pioneering, and also agrees that maybe we need at least one Soldier. I'll be happy to vote for a clinic next turn.

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    We let Gizzy have her way and our new civilization will become this:
    tumblr_nkkdb42OCi1r8hpiao1_500.gif
    Clinic and Pioneering

jdarksun
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Vote Closed

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    By the way, I killed Gizzy last night.

Delmainvertroue
    edited August 2015
    Update 1, Turn 10

Discrider and Trooper Retaba decided to join the Pinfeldorf Expedition. Master Cartographer Pinfledorf has decided to traverse over the hills north of Magan and towards the coast. Upon hitting the cost, the expedition makes 2 startling discoveries.

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside|1024:640&composite-to=*,*|1024:640&background-color=black.jpg

First, a supply cache that was launched from Earth long ago. I contains a Solar Collector Satilite, which is imeditally shiped back to the captial and put in orbit, granting us additional energy.

Second, is a bunch of strange, floating rocks that glow purple. Like something out of a fantasy movie, the expedition sees entire mountains suspended in mid air, with little explanation how.

Continuing to hug the coast like, the expedition makes first contact with local wildlife.

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside|1024:640&composite-to=*,*|1024:640&background-color=black.jpg

A pack of strange, insect like creatures the size of wolves numbering in the around a hundred. The expedition quickly dubs them Wolvebeetles. Fortunately, what they lack in originality they make up for in sheer determination to map this planet! While mere animals, the expedition is ill equiped to fight such numbers, and scouting by Trooper Reteba reports that they are expect hunters with carefully organized traps, ambushes, and a social structure.

Soon, our alien neighbors are complimented by more familiar ones. The Franco-Iberian Union lands, quickly followed by The American Reclamation Corporation. Franco-Iberia is a quarter of the globe away. The ARC, on the other hand.

The Pinfeldorf Expedition continues to win the hearts and minds of our colonies, as next the discovery a reasearch pod filled with luxries from Earth. Some of this stuff was thought lost during the collapse, and its return brings a burst of cultural activity in the captial. Why someone thought to shoot a Stradivarius through space I will never know, but I am glad they did. Also on board is several carved Ivory pieces. The dna of the African Bush Elephant. Ironically, the barbaric and disgusting practice that help lead to the extinction of this species on Old Earth may now hold the key to their continued survival among us on this new home of ours.

In the capital city, the clinic is finished and the population grows. Magan now has 2 citizens within its confines, and this means double the tiles we are able to work. As the clinic is finished, work begins on preparing a Platoon of soldiers that can operate independently of the city.

Polystralia and the Kavithan Protectorate joins of on this rock of ours, meaning more sharing. Hopefully the lessons of the Collapse have been learned by our new neighbors, and we can work in peace and unity with them.

Wheeling south, Pinfeldorf finds a mysterious wreck and decides to investigate. Despite the obvious danger.

The horde of Wolvebeetles guarding the area moves south, and we move into the wreck. An field lab is set up to study the site, however calamity strikes. A second horde of Wolvebeetles strikes, killing or wounding nearly a third of the brave men and women at the research site.

Now, this is the really troubling part. The expedition was well lit and had guards posted. They was an ample number of beasts that we saw them feeding upon earlier in the area. And yey, they still attacked us. Even more troubling is the fact that after only a short time, they began to react to our tactics. Dare I say, changing their own. Machine Gun nests were avoid, feint attacks made. Destipe all this, the men and women of the security section was able to drive them back, although for how long is unknown.

In less troubling news, due to the discovery of the luxury cache, we are able to obtain our first civic. Civics are separated into 4 distance categories, each focusing on a different are. There is Might (military), Prosperity (growth and expansion), Knowledge (science and culture), and Industry (production). It will not be possible for our colony to focus on all four, even 2 may be stretching it. Never the less, a choice must be made upon which path we will go down.

Second, Old Earth crops that we brought with us to aid our colonization have been spotted growing outside of farms. We have an evasive species outbreak on our hands. Botanist Discrider believes that is certain that the new additions will not effect the biosphere of this planet, as they are not threatening any native species. That being said, Discrider has also presented the colonial council with a plan for containing the out break at a surprisingly low cost. How we react to this decision will be based upon ideology, and not practical matters.

Ignoring the outbreak will be favorable to the so called Purity and Supremacy, while containing it will please the Harmony factions.

Big decisions are a head for our colony.

The vote results:
    City Production:
    Worker:
    Explorer :
    Solider : Sir Fab, Gizzy
    Clinic: Farangu, Retaba, Owenashi, Discrider, Vertroue, Egos, Delmain

Research:
    Pioneering: Farangu, Retaba, Owenashi, Sir Fab, Discrider, Gizzy, Vertroue, Egos, Delmain
    Planetary Survey :
    Physics:
    Chemistry:
    Genetics:
    Engineering:
    Ecology:

Proposed Names:
    Rock and Roll
    Abydos/New Carthage
    Mostly Harmless

The Current Vote:

Technology to be researched after Pioneering:

Planetary Survey: Work Barge (sea based worker) and can embark land units on sea transports (automatically done, we can move land units across water)
    Physics-Ranger (ranged combat unit), Observatory (+2 beakers), launch complex (+3 orbital launch range)
    Chemistry- Laboratory (+3 science), Recycler (+2 production), Petrol well tile improvement
    Genetics- Pharamalab (+2 health), Cytonursery (+1 beaker, +1 health)
    Engineering- Combat Rover (fast land unit), thorium reactor (+3 energy), repair facility (+10% production)
    Ecology-Vivarium (+2 food, +1 food from deserts), ultrasonic fence (alien units cannot enter with in 2 tiles of a city with this building), can clear miasma clouds)

Next Build Order for Magan:

Second Solider
    Second Explorer
    Reasearch

The second place vote will be second in que (aka automatically built after the first place vote)

Civic vote:

Adaptive Tactics (Might tree: +50% xp from combat)
    Frugality (Prosperity tree: +10% food after city growth)
    Foresight (Prosperity tree: +10% science when healthy)
    Labor Logistics (Industry tree: +10% production towards buildings)

Invasive Outbreak:

Contain (Harmony)
    Ignore (Purity, Supremacy)

Choosing to ignore will eventually force us to choose between Purity and Supremacy.

Name of Capital:
    Rock and Roll
    Abydos/New Carthage
    Mostly Harmless
    Same (Magan)

Affinity Explained:

As our colony grows, three different factions will begin to voice their demands. The Harmony faction wishes for us to work with the planet, limiting our impact upon it. We should adapt to it, not the other way around. Purity believes in keeping humanity pure, and can initiate massive terrascaping projects. Finally, supremacy wants to supplement and replace humanity with robots and cybernetics. Unlike Adam Jensen, we can ask for this.

We can only appease one faction. We can gain points in all three, but focusing on one and making it our primary is a must. Our choice will change how our units and cities look, give us unique units and buildings, change how other sponsors view us, and even grant us a unique victory type. It is not a decision to be taken lightly.

Results of gaining level 1 of each affinity:

Supremacy: Explorers can build one additional expedition before having to restock the rover
    Harmony: Explorers Immune to Miasma
    Purity: Explorer Units are twice as strong when defending

If you wish to be a giant spoil sport, in this spoiler is the big late game units each affinity gets:
    Supremacy: Giant robots
    Harmony: Frickening Kaiju
    Purity: The space battleship Yamato and hover tanks

And here are the victory types:
    Supremacy: Invade Earth
    Harmony: Mind meld
    Purity: Settle Earth settlers

Edit: Almost forgot. We never named this rock! Throw out your name suggestions for the next vote.

JusticeforPluto on
    discrider wrote: »

haHA! Botonist Discrider, your plans to poison me have been foiled and have backfired as a strand of evasive earth catnip is now spreading the planet!

vertroue
    Gizzy wrote: »
    discrider wrote: »

haHA! Botonist Discrider, your plans to poison me have been foiled and have backfired as a strand of evasive earth catnip is now spreading the planet!

I'd say.
    The last thing we need is an atmosphere permeated by Gizzy-doping scents.
    I suggest that we contain this outbreak, lest the hallucinogenics get us all.
    I also think we should invest more time in studying the Ecology just in case we start seeing crossbreeds.

As for build orders. We now have another human outpost from a rival sponsor sitting within stone throw.
    I'd like a second Soldier just to fend off any potential for attacks, either from these pioneers or from these aggressive wildlife.

And Foresight seems like the best choice here.
    No point eating native things until we've at least cleared them of cytotoxins.
    Or at least, that would've been a good idea this morning.

As a lover of catnip and all things earth, I think we should ignore this outbreak.
    As a lover of all things delicious, I agree with investing more time in studying Ecology.
    I'm pretty indifferent on what we build next, but going to throw out a vote towards Researcher to see what that gives us.
    Foresight sounds useful.

I guess I'll stand behind Abydos as our capital.
    For our PLANET though - Neko

• FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    As the Head of State, I issue this message to our ARC companions: Welcome to...uh...here! We haven't named it yet, although we will because that is totally our right we were here first. We hope to work with you peacefully in tackling the many issues that living on this planet entails. All we ask is that, when your people inevitably decide to expand, you go East. Keep to that, and we'll get along swimmingly.

In more internal matters, I say we research either Chemistry or Engineering next, as either option will help address our local supplies of production and energy, as we do not have as much of those as we do food. A new Explorer should also be constructed, as local life forms of the magnitude seen so far will likely require heavier firepower to deal with adequately than what we have available now. I do agree with our other ministers about the benefits of examining Foresight.

As for the outbreak, if our botanical experts agree that there is no harm in letting our Earth crops inter-mingle with the biology of this planet, then I say that there is no harm in ignoring efforts to curtail their spread.

Thus ends the address. Let our powers combine!

• RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    I'll leave Research to those who know but I agree with more Soldiers and Foresight to help our defense from aliens and foreign aggression!

Oh and Ignore the plants.

I count 4/12 votes with just over an hour till close. Since its the weeked anyway, let's exetent vote close Sunday at 8pm CST.

edited August 2015
    Abydos for capital name. Will suggest Cath for planet Can refer to the sun goddess ,Cautha, in Etruscan Mythology and also means "cat" in Welsh- which should appeal to the cat lobby.

Ecology to have food and keep potential aliens at bay. Engineering next.
    Second Soldier for second place.
    Foresight

Ignore mainly because of spoilers, otherwise I'd say something else ;)

Egos on
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    I like Engineering, Research, Frugality and Ignore.

• Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Ecology seems like a very good tech to research, although I personally think that chemistry is very important as well.

A second Soldier is always important for defense.

Foresight is useful if we can insure the health of our citizens.

I say ignore the outbreak. What's the harm, really?

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
    Yeah! Cath!

Egos
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I think we should go with Ecology for our next research

I think we should get another Explorer to better learn of this new world

Our civics should go to Labor Logistics

And I think we should Ignore the outbreak, since they aren't a great threat to the native ecology, there's no reason to control the spread of this flora, and it will be interesting to see the results.

I think we should name our capital New Carthage, and for the world I think we should go with Neoterranea.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    Actually, the harm of not controlling the outbreak is quite palpable.

Currently our exploration team is surrounded by hostile alien lifeforms. If we are to attack their nest, we will be damaged by the miasma it is built on.

That is, unless we contain the outbreak now and make our explorer immune to this.

• El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Mostly harmless for the city name, Cath for the planet

Chemistry, Researcher, Foresight, Contain for the others

El Skid on
  • Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Oh and of course Mostly Harmless should be the name of the city.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
    Votes are counted:
    Update 2
    Technology to be researched after Pioneering:

Planetary Survey Chemistry: Farangu (or), Sir Fab, El Skid (+1)
    Genetics Engineering: Farangu (or), Owenashi Ecology: Discrider(+1), Gizzy, Egos, Lord A

Next Build Order for Magan:

Second Solider: Discrider, Retaba, Egos, Sir Fab
    Second Explorer: Farangu, Lord A
    Reasearch: Gizzy (+1), Owenashi, El Skid

Civic vote

Adaptive Tactics:
    Frugality: Owenashi
    Foresight: Discrider, Gizzy, Farangu, Retaba, Egos, Sir Fab (+1), El Skid
    Labor Logistics: Lord A

Invasive Outbreak:

Contain (Harmony): Discrider, El Skid
    Ignore (Purity, Supremacy): Gizzy, Farangu, Retaba, Egos, Owenashi, Sir Fab(+1), Lord A

Choosing to ignore will eventually force us to choose between Purity and Supremacy.

Name of Capital
    Rock and Roll:
    Abydos/New Carthage: Gizzy, Egos, Lord A
    Mostly Harmless: Sir Fab, El Skid
    Same (Magan)

Today was the first day where roles made a difference.

Also welcome aboard @Lord_Asmodeus

Would you like a role?

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    If we take a role as something potentially dangerous (explorer/field researcher, soldier) and that unit dies, are we, in the immortal canon of this let's play "dead for realz"?

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    That reason is why I claimed Clone Soldier and I am pushing hard for Supremacy. Once the Singularity hits losses are simply material. :hydra:

edited August 2015
    Actually I think I'll Sign Up! as head of the Secret Police (Spymaster)

Which means I'll need to think of a cool threatening name for my organization

Edit: Oh man, I could have gone with Cult Leader... well... I could always do both... :P

Lord_Asmodeus on
    If we take a role as something potentially dangerous (explorer/field researcher, soldier) and that unit dies, are we, in the immortal canon of this let's play "dead for realz"?

There is a chance your character can die, but you can make a different character (even the same role!) and continue playing. Death is lore only, and does not have in game effects.

Also, today I planned out a long play session today and got hit by two quests and a virtue (I was wrong, they're not civics) Choice. So, I didn't get to play much and this is a very very very short, vote only update.

Right of the bat, we gain culture from the spread of catnip across Cath. Don't ask me, this humble AI is just as confused. The second part of the quest asks us if we wish to modify catnip to provide a food or energy source for our colony.

In Abydos, there is a public debate about how we should preserve the memories of old earth. With us, we took what we could of history. Hundreds of artifacts, thousands of hours of video, and even a complete copy of what remained of the internet post Mistake. Some say that we should keep the citizens of our colonies out, leaving them to be examined only to researchers. Others want them to become public displays for the public to see and learn from our past.

A similar debate rages about how to put our clinics to work. With the knowledge of the xeno threat rising, many wish to see them be used to help prepare our cities for defense. Meanwhile, medical professionals have ideas about how to improve their efficiency. There is not room in the budget from both plans, so a decision must be made.

Sorry about that, I'll try better in the future to plan our how these quests will play out, looking up the possible choices a head of time (like I did with the clinic)

Citizens are asked to vote upon the following:
    Quest Decision:
    -Energy (+Supremacy)
    -Food (+Purity)

How we Remember:
    -Bar entrance (no maintenance cost on Old Earth Relic, current cost is 1 energy per turn)
    -Allow public access (+1 culture per Relic)

Clinic Upgrade:
    -Focus on defense (+15 city strength)
    -Focus on public health (+1 health)

Virtue Choice:
    -Adaptive Tactics (Might tree: +50% xp from combat)
    -Frugality (Prosperity tree: +10% food after city growth)
    -Field Research (+30 beakers per expedition completed)
    -Social Mores (+0.25 Culture per city population)
    -Labor Logistics (Industry tree: +10% production towards buildings)

Sorry, I feel really bad about this. Wanted to have a bit more of an update for everyone.

Quest Decision:
    -Energy (+Supremacy)

How we Remember:

Clinic Upgrade:

Virtue Choice:
    Should we aim for fluff for us or actually go for a good build?

Retaba wrote: »
    Quest Decision:
    -Energy (+Supremacy)

How we Remember:

Clinic Upgrade:

Virtue Choice:
    Should we aim for fluff for us or actually go for a good build?

Were on normal so we can do some of both, but choosing what virutes and affinities to focus on will soon become a must soon.

Also I wish to ask, is this pace good? Do you guys, gals and cat wish to go longer (in game between updates?). I'd require me to make some choices for us, but also really cut down on the overall time of this lp.

So, in the Abydos/New Carthage split since it seems like you counted votes for both of them together, are both options valid (so the Capital is also called New Carthage?)

More voted for Abydos that New Carthage. The Abydos/Mostly Harmless vote was tied, so I took the NC as a signal that a historical name was preferred.

Mostly Harmless and New Carthage will be group cities #2 #3.

I'd be ok with longer updates, but if others want more choice I'd manage.

edited August 2015
    Alright.

My vote for the Quest will be Energy, food seems abundant enough on this world, we must look to our internal security needs, and energy independence is a critical factor

In these dangerous and trying times, a sense of unity and connection to our past is essential in keeping our new colony focused, and quashing any potential dissent that could prove crippling to in our vulnerable position, as such I feel these Relics should be Accessible to the Public

While our physical security is of course important, keeping our people healthy and functioning is most important at this juncture, as such I vote for Focusing on public health with our clinics.

We must be quick to build up our infrastructure and defenses however. The more quickly we can establish ourselves the sooner we will be able to properly direct our society in a positive fashion, and of course we should encourage everyone to be work oriented, to keep them focused on what is essential to our survival, and to build a sense of ownership of the our new colony that will help keep them in line, so I once again vote for Labor Logistics as our virtue.

Also, I have suggest a name for this necessary and important organization, the name is AESIR, the Agency for Espionage, Security, Intelligence and Reconnaissance.

What do you think?

Edit: If AESIR doesn't work out as the spy agency name, it could also be good for our exploratory research agency (Agency for Exploration, Science, Investigation, and Reconnaissance/Research)

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Hmmm, I second thought, I'll spend tomorrow writing down all the techs and virtues. Then we can get accusation orders for those queed up.

Soory all. I'll admit it's been a while since I played and I don't remember the quests poping up this often.

• El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    It's also worth doing more decisions at the start, as we make big decisions like which tree we go down. If we decide on Supremacy here for instance, we can auto choose it in the future, maybe...unless you think the alternative may be preferable in specific instances.

For the votes:Energy, accesible to the public, Focus on public health, Field research.

El Skid on

What do you think?

I think I'm going to go rogue agent

wi130-10.jpeg

Edit: Oh man, I could have gone with Cult Leader... well... I could always do both... :P

We kinda already have a spymaster, so cult leader would be a better fit.

• FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Energy / Public access / Public Health / Tactics

Do we? I checked back and didn't see one. Ah well, I suppose Cult Leader will have to suffice.

Well, given the choice between the two options, I think farming the crop for Energy is the better option. Food seems abundant enough here.
    Making the relic Accessible to the public seems common sense. Why did we ship these things if not to display them?
    Focusing on public health seems the more optimistic of the two scenarios.
    And I also wish to extol the virtues of Field Research.

Do we? I checked back and didn't see one. Ah well, I suppose Cult Leader will have to suffice.

Egos is director of intelligence.

Tonight I will update the op with roles and such.