As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The First Republican Primary Debate: Straight Outta Hamptons

• HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    I'm kinda curious as to how this will go, but I don't think my brain is up to listening to all the bullshit

vEaRQgH.png
  • QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    I mean, I think the democratic candidates are leaps and bounds better. I feel like many independents will go towards Clinton (would prefer Sanders but don't see him passing the primary) based on social issues (women's rights, gay marriage, global warming, race relations, education, etc) alone. I suppose for a lot of people her hawkish-ness is the single issue though. Supreme court nominations are a big thing to me.

Plenty of issues on both sides, but seems a pretty easy call of Dem over Rep for the presidency at this point in time.

• SegSeg Registered User regular
    Etiowsa wrote: »
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    oh so you guys are starting your election campaigns too? That's neat, so are we! It's a weirdly long campaign though, it started on Sunday and the election isn't until October 19th. Looks like your is November 8th?

oh wait, 2016.

I am so sorry.

I was reading the Canadian politics thread in D&D and saw someone complain about a three-month campaign being too long

I just laughed and laughed

This is going to be the longest federal election campaign since 1920-something. They're usually a little over a month. Like, what are you guys doing down there that actually requires you to start campaigning a year before an election?

These guys aren't campaigning for the Presidential Election yet, right now they are trying to convince registered members of their party to pick them as the representative that runs for their party. So the next year will be the guys and girls who want to run, for President, travelling the country trying to convince people in each state that they want to vote for them now so that they can vote for them again in November '16.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    hillary clinton is highly defeatable

she's almost the democratic analog to mitt romney... public sector titan vs private sector titan

someone whose hands have been in it for so long but they can't help but have gotten dirty, a fact that will be rightfully exploited at every turn

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »

she's almost the democratic analog to mitt romney... public sector titan vs private sector titan

someone whose hands have been in it for so long but they can't help but have gotten dirty, a fact that will be rightfully exploited at every turn
    I think she's beatable

I don't think anyone capable of winning the republican primary is also capable of beating her

I think she's beatable

I don't think anyone capable of winning the republican primary is also capable of beating her

why

the most moderate, balanced, credible (e.g., not John Huntsman) republican candidate has been nominated in the primary in the last two elections

in fact they habitually select less moderate vice presidents to remind their party that they are in fact part of their party

this whacko extremist horseshit that goes on at the beginning of every primary season is only because the first two republican primary states have hideous politics.. once you get past that, back to normal

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular

If there was some smoking gun that was going to take her down, someone would have found it already. People have been trying to kill her politically for over a decade now. It's not going to happen.

Maximum wrote: »

If there was some smoking gun that was going to take her down, someone would have found it already. People have been trying to kill her politically for over a decade now. It's not going to happen.

don't have to kill her, only have to make her seem like an amoral ghoul who would do anything for power

don't have to kill her, only have to make her seem like an amoral ghoul who would do anything for power

So...make her seem like a politician?

• HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    something something e-mails yada yada Benghazi

vEaRQgH.png
    edited August 2015

So...make her seem like a politician?

that's exactly the plan

also.... "take her down". elaborate. what power does Hillary Clinton have that makes her an election titan? The only elected office she's held in the last three decades (maybe ever? i don't know her history) is as the senator of a state that would elect anything with a D next to the name.

For the last three years she's been a private citizen and before that she held an unelected post as a consolation prize for failing to beat someone who at the time was considered a massive underdog.

all she has is money. bad news, republicans invented money. home court advantage.

Jasconius on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Secretary of State is no consolation prize. And she has more foreign policy experience than pretty much the entire republican field.

sig.gif
    Secretary of State is no consolation prize. And she has more foreign policy experience than pretty much the entire republican field.

apparently she wasn't even the first choice, whoops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPuqI9ciOG8

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited August 2015

I think she's beatable

let me show you something speed, let me introduce you to a man, his name is Robert Gray. Oh, you haven't heard of him? That's because he's a truck driver with zero political experience who has virtually no campaign funds, no campaign, and he easily - easily just beat two women in the democratic primary race for governor in Mississippi. We can laugh about the south all we want, but the extent to which people will not vote for a woman, especially a woman who they can argue looks like she thinks she "deserves" the presidency (which was the argument before), is staggering.

I think Clinton is super beatable. I think things are heavily weighed against her.

http://news.yahoo.com/truck-driver-wins-dem-nomination-mississippi-governor-092952505.html

Langly on
    edited August 2015
    This first debate is already painful.

Edit: though the moderator bringing up Jindal's terrible rating in his home state of 30% and then asking why he thinks the American people will respond is pretty good.

Qanamil on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »

I think she's beatable

let me show you something speed, let me introduce you to a man, his name is Robert Gray. Oh, you haven't heard of him? That's because he's a truck driver with zero political experience who has virtually no campaign funds, no campaign, and he easily - easily just beat two women in the democratic primary race for governor in Mississippi. We can laugh about the south all we want, but the extent to which people will not vote for a woman, especially a woman who they can argue looks like she thinks she "deserves" the presidency (which was the argument before), is staggering.

I think Clinton is super beatable. I think things are heavily weighed against her.

http://news.yahoo.com/truck-driver-wins-dem-nomination-mississippi-governor-092952505.html

That's because the democratic primary for governor in mississippi has like 2 voters and no one cares.

sig.gif
    Graham: When I get on the stage with Hilary Clinton "we won't be debating about the science, we'll be debating about the solutions". I know I'm not his target audience despite living in this state, but man I dislike the anti-science lean.

I legit don't know who Jim Gilmore is--oh, Virginia gov from 98 to 02, okay.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I love how every question has been basically been "fuck you, you aren't getting elected"

"take her down" as in republicans have attempted to stick every stupid conspiracy imaginable on her in an effort to derail her career.

Benghazi, her stupid emails that no sane person cares about, she has brain cancer, she killed Vince Foster, she's a secret lesbian, blah blah blah.

Every politician deals with this stuff to some extent, but my lord, this is next level hate, and it has been going on forever.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Daypigeon wrote: »
    A moment of silence for Rick Perry, who just missed the boat for this debate despite commissioning somebody to make him a personal rap/country theme song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHgeGQbANR8

that's...an existing song with one line changed

colt ford is awful

Speaking to "take her down" the latest thing I just saw linked on facebook was "Judge Napolitano Says Hillary Email Revealed Location of Ambassador Stevens in Libya" to some conservative site. NY Times has a more even-handed take on it though.

This is a constant thing. Conservative sites are constantly relinking anything possible to ruin Hilary. Whether or not she's the best nominee, she's definitely the one most consistently and overly scrutinized. No wonder she comes off badly as a result, along with her obvious pro-move of not speaking until it's prudent nowadays.

• DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    aw, that's a little disappointing

I was hoping it was wholly original

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Carly Fiorina wants to spy on people more.

FiveThirtyEight has live coverage of the debates. Particularly of interest a graph of the JV Debate Candidates and their ideologies just went up.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/liveblogs/2016-election-first-republican-presidential-debate/

edited August 2015
    Man, Fox fucking hates Jindal. It's delicious

Fencingsax on
    So Fox just admitted that our ally Saudi Arabia sponsors terrorism.

Santorum basically says he would revoke gay marriage. Nobody else got the question, but can't imagine the view would be different from the bulk of them.

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    god I wish I was watching this.

edited August 2015
    Female moderator actually brought up women's rights, planned parenthood, and the war on women in a decent way. Obvious answers, but still.

Graham repeats that he wants troops in Syria and Iraq again when he should be talking about Planned Parenthood. Ugh.

Edit: Suspend every previous executive order answer across the stage.

Qanamil on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited August 2015
    DJ Eebs on
  • masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    My favorite thing is that they didn't even try for Z

Like they didn't stretch hard enough for the other ones, it was the Z that was just too much

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    Jindal: "Immigration without assimilation is an invasion."

holy balls, make it stop.

Pataki is trying to Guliani it up.

• HjorvarthrHjorvarthr Registered User regular
    edited August 2015

"Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you. Thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot." What? "Taxes, they'll be lower. Son. The Democratic vote for me is right thing to do Philadelphia. So do."

Hjorvarthr on
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Man if Hilary has the political clout and savvy to be able to kill ALL OF US, she's got my vote.

She definitely has the robo-kill all humans-vote

• LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Shorty wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »
    lol america how is trump still a frontrunner for any political party

because he says exactly what most far-right idiot conservatives are actually thinking

and those are the people being polled right now

Yeah I mean his support looks impressive compared to the other Republican candidates, but in reality it's only about 24 percent of 23 percent of the electorate.

There is no way he is actually going to win the primary. It's all fun and games now, six months before anyone actually votes, but eventually most of them will sober up and go with Jeb, or maybe I dunno Walker I guess.

And then Trump will launch a self-financed third party campaign and I will laugh forever.

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    As a non American what are primaries results based on? Like given that voting in actual elections isn't mandatory in America,I imagine primaries votes are the equivalent of people who bother to post political comments on YouTube, so you're going to get disproportionate nut bags in the results

Prohass on
This discussion has been closed.