Options

Paradox Can Into Space With [Stellaris]

11213151718100

Posts

  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    They've already shown in the Blorg stream that doing too much conquering has some pitfalls. The most glaring one being a large negative modifier with other space nations (spations?!) if you've expanded too quickly. Three of the Blorg's largest neighbours formed an alliance specifically to curb Blorgian expansion after they took (admittedly it seemed through a bug) a large number of planets very quickly. Over time through actual game mechanics these alliances can solidify, essentially becoming a permanent singular large enemy. Enslaving, burninating or otherwise giftshopping entire species is likely to expedite this process methinks!

    On the genetics front; I wonder if, given the type of animations used to show the species, we'll be able to see the genetic differences in populations. Seems like the animations are layered up in some manner, so potentially changing/shrinking/adding/removing aspects from each layer could easily and simply lead to large changes in the overall appearance.

    The cosmetic DLC in this game is going to be intense.

  • Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    Paradox was asking for suggestions for Portrait DLC.

    I've given my 2 cents.

  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    You know I don't think I've ever, ever been excited by the idea of buying future cosmetic DLC. Paradox has somehow made me excited for it.

    Well played Paradox, well played.

    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Sometimes their DLC is value, like the Indian polity expansion for CK2. Other times it's just little things like skins and music and that's like, to me, something that probably should have either been in the base game to begin with or included in a more substantial content and priced offering.

    Like if you wanna add music and unit skins for a specific region of the world, or in the case of Stellaris a pack that does music updates and new ship designs for different racial and ethical phenotypes, put them all in one pack and price accordingly, don't just put them in tiny piecemeal dealios that can be price manipulated to nickel and dime the people who already bought the game.

    I'm already 100% on board with buying this game at launch so I hope they lean more towards the expansion/large content offering DLC model with updates for Stellaris and keep little stuff lumped into those larger drops.

    488W936.png
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Sometimes their DLC is value, like the Indian polity expansion for CK2. Other times it's just little things like skins and music and that's like, to me, something that probably should have either been in the base game to begin with or included in a more substantial content and priced offering.

    Like if you wanna add music and unit skins for a specific region of the world, or in the case of Stellaris a pack that does music updates and new ship designs for different racial and ethical phenotypes, put them all in one pack and price accordingly, don't just put them in tiny piecemeal dealios that can be price manipulated to nickel and dime the people who already bought the game.

    I'm already 100% on board with buying this game at launch so I hope they lean more towards the expansion/large content offering DLC model with updates for Stellaris and keep little stuff lumped into those larger drops.

    Paradox is very upfront about what the DLC represents, though. They are as much tip jars to show that you support continued development as they are "real" DLC.

  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Is there anything that shows previews of ship types/classes/etc at this point or have they still not really released any of that? I haven't kept too tapped in and just curious what kind of capital ships/etc are in the game.

    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Is there anything that shows previews of ship types/classes/etc at this point or have they still not really released any of that? I haven't kept too tapped in and just curious what kind of capital ships/etc are in the game.

    I haven't seen any proper "releases" as such, as in breakdowns of classes. However from streams and the diaries I think they've shown that there's 4 main ship types, in varying size. Battleship being the largest I believe. The only thing I've heard pertaining to capital ships was that as a marshal leader one thing you can do for popularity is build a bad ass ship. So it seems like you'll have some sort of fleet leading sorta ships, whether that's just a highly equipped battleship or something else remains to be seen.

    There's a whole load of customisation you can do to ships, so it seems like other than volume and the size of the weapon slots that come with that volume the ships can be made to whatever suits your taste.

    Battle stations also have similar treatment.

  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Man you guys are going for super evil races.

    "Space; the final frontier. These are the voyages of the Executor-Class Battlecruiser Bloodbath. It's continuing mission, to find and sterilize strange new worlds. To exterminate hideous new life & barbaric new civilizations. To boldly vaporize what no one has vaporized before!"

    Doooo, doo doo doo, doo doo doo...

    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I don't think I'm gonna go for evil on my first play through, just hyper-pragmatic space traders

    My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I usually go hyper-technocratic future-race that everyone in the galaxy goes to to get their space-education from space-Harvard.

  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Corporatocracy for life!

    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    I role play a race of obsessive colony ship builders who then become obsessive invaders of the last guy on the power rankings.

  • Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Im thinking of a run as the Colonial Union from Old Man's War series.
    Practically all aliens are enemies and mankind has to struggle to survive via extensive use of genetically engineered super soldiers (like in 40k only less grim dark)
    Ironically the reason that all aliens hate humans is because of humanities raging war-boner and insistence that all aliens are out to get them.

    The Just League that formed against the Blorg in the dev stream means i'll end up fighting an alien alliance much like the Conclave from that series.
    Im pretty sure I can recreate the entire series of that book in game which is pretty incredible.

  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Corporatocracy for life!

    Ruthless space capitalists!

    488W936.png
  • Options
    ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    Just caught onto this game a few days ago. It is looking pretty good.

    Hope its better than Gal Civ 3. I've been pretty disappointed in that game.

    PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    GaryO wrote: »
    Im thinking of a run as the Colonial Union from Old Man's War series.
    Practically all aliens are enemies and mankind has to struggle to survive via extensive use of genetically engineered super soldiers (like in 40k only less grim dark)
    Ironically the reason that all aliens hate humans is because of humanities raging war-boner and insistence that all aliens are out to get them.

    The Just League that formed against the Blorg in the dev stream means i'll end up fighting an alien alliance much like the Conclave from that series.
    Im pretty sure I can recreate the entire series of that book in game which is pretty incredible.

    From what I remember, that war boner is pretty justified what with, you know, the aliens actually being out to get them. Also eating people.

    What I'm saying is: Purge the xeno.

  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    More streaming with devs and Blorgs today. They've a goofy duo, but I love 'em. Anyway, apparently there's going to be something special on stream today. They're starting earlier, so seems like it'll be a longer stream than usual.



    Intriguing!

    Campy on
  • Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    Actually, 5PM CET is later than they normally start I thought. Usually it's at 3 CET.

  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    If I had to guess, they'll likely finally reveal the purchase price.

  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Stream is up and running, and pre-orders are up on steam.

    http://store.steampowered.com/app/281990/

  • Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Theres like 6 new races already incoming, 5 inspired by peoples suggestions on the forum that you get if you preorder (Hydra/Xenomorph, Evil Porcupine, Dinosaur Bird, Shadowy Anthropoid and Fungoid Infected Mammalian) and one that looks like Crysalids from XCOM that you get from preordering either the Nova or galaxy edition

    GaryO on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    And, being a man who at least mostly attempts to stay true to his word, ...

    Pre-ordered.

    Nova edition, because the Galaxy edition didn't really do anything for me, but I am a sucker for sound tracks.

  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    And I'm a sucker for exclusive cosmetic DLC

    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    I'll probably get the Nova edition. I'm tempted to get the expensive one for the art book, but not sure if it's worth $20 or not.

  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Pre-ordered the regular edition; the pre-order bonuses are all I need.

    488W936.png
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Went Nova Edition.

    At 50 Bones American it was too hard for me to pass up.

    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Yeah I'm pleasantly surprised with pricing below current big title standards. I don't get much out of the rewards though, I really doubt if 10 bucks for 1 race is worth it.
    The races are purely cosmetic right? It's not like a race has their own tech / AI behavior??

    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Yeah I'm pleasantly surprised with pricing below current big title standards. I don't get much out of the rewards though, I really doubt if 10 bucks for 1 race is worth it.
    The races are purely cosmetic right? It's not like a race has their own tech / AI behavior??

    Correct. Ish?

    It's not certain, but it's likely that, say, mammalian races will tend to like other mammalian races better, so the pre-order races will expand the possibilities.

  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    And, being a man who at least mostly attempts to stay true to his word, ...

    Pre-ordered.

    Nova edition, because the Galaxy edition didn't really do anything for me, but I am a sucker for sound tracks.

    Indeed. Some of those tracks posted earlier were downright soothing. I buy game soundtracks when I can but it is a rare game that has songs that I put on the top of my playlist rotations

    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Are they all electronica or we got some choir/orchestra/metal bits? I like electronic music, Hotline Miami has one my favorite soundtracks, but electronica is something to spree-murder to. I need something to crusade to.

  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Did someone say metal? Metal in space?

    Forewarning, it gets pretty heavy :D

    Campy on
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Double posting for glory!

    At the time of posting, Stellaris is third on steams best seller page!

  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Campy wrote: »
    Did someone say metal? Metal in space?

    Forewarning, it gets pretty heavy :D

    I'd go with this, personally:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGV6bCTMM5w

    Or alternatively:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXzMD065HEk

    Rhan9 on
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    Man I am super worried that this game will not run on my Late 2013 13' rMBP. Guess I should not be pre-ordering huh?

    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    finnith wrote: »
    Man I am super worried that this game will not run on my Late 2013 13' rMBP. Guess I should not be pre-ordering huh?

    Does it have any sort of graphics card? The min specs give very old graphics cards as required, with only 1GB of GFX memory.

  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    finnith wrote: »
    Man I am super worried that this game will not run on my Late 2013 13' rMBP. Guess I should not be pre-ordering huh?

    Does it have any sort of graphics card? The min specs give very old graphics cards as required, with only 1GB of GFX memory.

    It has a Intel Iris Pro 1536MB, which is an integrated graphics card...

    My processor is also an i5 2.4GhZ so I'm hoping that doesn't cause problems.

    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    edit: scratch that. You might be pushing the bottom limits there.

    Mac System Requirements
    Minimum:
    OS: OS X 10.8.5 or newer, Processor: Intel Core i5 @ 2.5Ghz, Memory: 4 GB RAM, Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 6750 / NVIDIA GeForce 320 or higher with 1024MB VRAM, Storage: 4 GB available space, Controller support: 3-button mouse, keyboard and speakers, Special multiplayer requirements: Internet Connection or LAN for multiplayer

    Recommended:
    OS: OS X 10.11 or newer, Processor: Intel Core i5 @ 2.9Ghz, Memory: 4 GB RAM, Graphics: Nvidia GTX 750M or AMD R9 390M with 1024 VRAM, Storage: 4 GB available space, Controller support: 3-button mouse, keyboard and speakers, Special multiplayer requirements: Internet Connection or LAN for multiplayer

    Campy on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    The Iris graphics in the late-2013 rMBP are well above the minimum spec, but a bit short of the Recommended spec. The Radeon 6750M specced for the minimum is from the 2011 Macbook Pro.

    a5ehren on
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Oh nice, I wasn't sure that the onboard GPU was powerful enough. The only worry is the processor then, though I don't think 100MHz will make that much difference to the gameplay.

    Min recs are often just to cover the companies' butt, just so they can say there's a certain level of system that the game won't officially support. That doesn't mean that it won't be perfectly playable.

    They've said something similar about their multiplayer capacity. They officially support 32 players, but it's more than likely that the game will be able to handle more.

    Campy on
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    Thanks a5ehren! Looks like I'll be pre-ordering.

    Really what I'm looking forward to is all the mods that are going to come out for this game. I'm really excited to see if people start modelling other universes, Star Wars, Mass Effect etc. My favorite part of Pdox games is building my own narrative around the nations/conflicts, and coincidentally the one thing I found missing from my EU4 games was how the culture/ethics of the nation, so Stellaris is right in my wheelhouse.

    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
This discussion has been closed.