Options

Paradox Can Into Space With [Stellaris]

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    The Sauce wrote: »
    oh god no don't do this to me

you just quadrupled the amount of time every playthrough is going to take me
    yes please, do this to me

Hurray for madness!

Actually for stuff like this I find the Name Shake app to be one of the greatest creations in history. :razz:

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I am my Empire, I am the Culture.
    To each planet a name, to each sector a number.
    Try as they might, no other may plunder.
    My glorious realm, but theirs I shall sunder.

488W936.png
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    The Hrang Cartel
    Fanatic Collectivist
    Xenophobe

Despotic Empire

Enduring
    Quick Learners
    Strong
    Decadent

Can build an oversized military station
    +50% Alien slavery tolerance
    +20% Army damage
    -15% Building cost
    -10% Food requirement
    +25% Leader experience gain
    +30 Leader lifespan
    +5% Minerals
    -10% Resource output without slaves
    +10% Slavery food output
    +10% Slavery mineral output
    +100% Slavery tolerance
    +10% Xenophobia

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    Oh, we're designing races we plan to start off with! Sounds fun. I MAY have put too much thought into this one...

Those Who Build Colonies
    Fanatic Materialist
    Pacifist

Direct Democracy

Communal
    Conformists
    Slow Learners

Homeworld Type: Tundra

-10% Army damage
    +4 Core sector planets
    +10% Engineering output
    -20% Ethics divergence
    +10% Food
    +5% Happiness
    -25% Leader experience gain
    +10% Physics output
    +10% Society output
    -10% War happiness
    -25% War tolerance

General concept: hive insect civilization. Not a hivemind, just a hive. Direct Democracy was the closest government to what I wanted from this concept: a hive where every voice is heard, and consensus is built out of it. Individuals are still distinct, but generally dimmer than your average member of another species.

Being a hive-oriented species, they don't often stray from their founding ethos. They're Fanatic Materialists because prior to contact with other species / general weirdness out in the galaxy, they have no concept of spirituality. Pacifists because I was kinda inspired by the ant supercolonies around the world. Basically: one hive won out over all the others a long time ago, so the last war they fought was about ten generations ago. Something like that.

Not Collectivist because they don't place the whole above the individual in an ideological sense, they're just naturally that way -- thus Communal and Conformists.

Oh, and the name? "Those Who Build Colonies" is translated from...something ridiculously weird and alien. Involves a combination of buzzing and clicking, pheromonal release, and body language. Don't think I can make anything that sounds good in English letters from that.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    SPACE SPARTANS!
    Fanatic Militarist
    Collectivist

Military Junta

Industrious
    Strong
    Repugnant (You do what to your kids?)
    • Admirals/generals are eligible for rulership
    • +75% Alliance cost
    • +40% Army damage
    • -5% Food requirement
    • +20% Minerals
    • -1% Other species happiness per POP
    • +50% Rivalry influence gain
    • -10% Ship cost
    • -25% Ship upgrade cost
    • +50% Slavery tolerance
    • +10% War happiness
    • +75% War tolerance

SPACE KARRNATH / BLOOD OF VOL
    Militarist
    Collectivist
    Spiritualist

Divine Mandate

Enduring
    Rapid Breeders
    Resilient
    Repugnant
    • Can build a mausoleum, which grants -10% ethics divergence on the planet on which it is built
    • +50% Alliance cost
    • +10% Army damage
    • +200% Bombardment resistance
    • -5% Food requirement
    • -10% Growth time
    • +5% Happiness
    • +30 Leader lifespan
    • +100% Militia health
    • -1% Other species happiness per POP
    • +25% Rivalry influence gain
    • +100% Slavery tolerance
    • +5% War happiness
    • +100% War tolerance

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    My empire templates so far, representing an attempt at a military focus that finds compromises to keep conquered peoples together in order to overcome a weak birth rate in the home species, a corporate empire driven by ruthless profiteering and galactic domination, and a genuine federation builder that seeks consensus and alliances to overcome physical frailty.

The Ansarin Republic:
    Multicultural militaristic society that uses conquered species as a means of circumventing prime species breeding issues, binding conquered species together in communal military and scientific service and investing them in the state republican military government institutions so as to discourage dissent. Guiding drive of the empire is to expand and bring more species into a Pax Ansaria situation where peace is a measure of bringing more species into the service of the state apparatus and with alien equality to the prime species as an underlying social compromise. With this structure in place, economic and political stability for all concerned is assured.

Materialist
    As we reach for the stars, we must put away childish things: gods, spirits and other phantasms of the brain. Reality is cruel and unforgiving, yet we must protect ourselves and secure the survival of our race through the unflinching pursuit of science and technology.

Effects:

+5% Physics output
    +5% Society output
    +5% Engineering output

Xenophile
    There exist, in all of us, a deep-seated fascination of the unknown. An adventurous spirit that rejects the familiar and glories in the unfamiliar, whatever - or whoever - it may be.

Effects:

-10% Xenophobia

Militarist
    The only true values are courage and discipline, and channeled properly they can overcome any obstacle. Therein lies true strength; force withheld, a promise made.

Effects:

+25% Rivalry influence gain
    +50% Alliance cost
    +50% War tolerance
    +5% War happiness
    +10% Army damage

Military Republic
    Consulship

Unlocked by:

Militarist
    Fanatic Militarist

Locked by:

Collectivist
    Fanatic Collectivist

Effects:

Admirals/generals are eligible for rulership
    -15% Army upkeep
    -15% Ship upkeep
    +25% War tolerance

Resilient
    Positive trait

1 point

Members of this species are physiologically resilient and will fight like enraged brood mothers to defend their worlds.

Effects:

+200% Bombardment resistance
    +100% Militia health

Charismatic
    Positive trait

1 point

Members of this species have a special charisma and are generally considered pleasant to be around.

Effects:

+1% Other species happiness per POP

Strong
    Positive trait

1 point

Members of this species possess great physical strength, making them formidable fighters on the ground.

Effects:

+20% Army damage
    +5% Minerals

Slow Breeders
    Negative trait

-1 point

This species reproduces at a slow rate, lowering population growth.

Effects:

+15% Growth time

The Pressurized Oscillating Packaging Corporation:
    Genetic engineering, military proficiency, technological perfection, economic dominance, galactic conquest. These are the goals of the P.O.P.Co, and under the rule of the Chief Executive's guiding directive and contractual obligations, all other species will be brought to heel and made to serve the wider goals of the prime species and their corporate empire. Other races only serve as meat for the grinder, slave labour or target practice. Diplomacy is only a delaying tactic. Progress and profits are all that matter.

Militarist

The only true values are courage and discipline, and channeled properly they can overcome any obstacle. Therein lies true strength; force withheld, a promise made.

Effects :

+25% Rivalry influence gain
    +50% Alliance cost
    +50% War tolerance
    +5% War happiness
    +10% Army damage

Fanatic Materialist

Although it hurts, we must grow up and put aside our outdated notions of morality. There is no 'divine spark' granting special value to a living mind. No object has any intrinsic value apart from what we choose to grant it. Let us embrace the freedom of certitude, and achieve maximum efficiency in all things.

Effects:

+10% Physics output
    +10% Society output
    +10% Engineering output

Military Dictatorship
    Grand Marshal

This government is a militaristic form of autocracy, with the ruler serving as the undisputed head of the military which is firmly in control of the state apparatus.

Unlocked by:

Militarist
    Fanatic Militarist

Locked by:

Individualist
    Fanatic Individualist

Effects:

Can build an oversized ship
    Admirals/generals are eligible for rulership
    +10 Fleet size limit
    -10% Ship upkeep

Repugnant
    Negative trait

-1 point

The physical appearance and customs of this species are considered offensive to most others and few appreciate them as neighbors.

Effects:

-1% Other species happiness per POP

Natural Engineers
    Positive trait

1 point

Members of this species have a natural inclination towards engineering and the material sciences.

Effects:

+15% Engineering output

Rapid Breeders
    Positive trait

1 point

This species reproduces at a very rapid rate, increasing population growth.

Effects:

-10% Growth time

Communal
    Positive trait

1 point

Members of this species are highly communal and quite used to living in close proximity to others.

Effects:

+5% Happiness

First Quorum Confederacy:
    Long lived prime species that, as a result of their frail physical forms and non-violent proclivities, naturally overcomes conflict through mutual understanding, social/political progress, compassion and economic compromise, leading to a long development of alliances that resulted in their present confederation of homeworld polities. They now seek to export their alliance building to the stars so as to avoid conflicts that would destroy them, as well as learn more about other species and cultures in earnest. Especially desires a strong federation of mutual trade and defense to promote economic and technological growth in relative security. Relies on diplomacy and the armies of other empires to balance threats. Very open to migration and immigration.

Pacifist

Conflict as a mean to an end is a ridiculous concept. It is by nature destructive, destroying what was to be obtained or giving room to grow that which was to be destroyed.

Effects:

+10% Food
    -25% War tolerance
    -10% War happiness
    -10% Army damage

Fanatic Xenophile

If there was such a thing as an absolute moral imperative, it would be to explore the cosmos and embrace all within it. We were never meant to journey alone.

Effects :

-20% Xenophobia

Moral Democracy

This government is a pacifistic form of democracy, firmly guided by moralist principles and non-violence.

Unlocked by:

Pacifist
    Fanatic Pacifist

Locked by:

Collectivist
    Fanatic Collectivist

Effects:

+10% Happiness

Quick Learners
    Positive trait

1 point

Members of this species are quick to learn from experiences.

Effects:

+25% Leader experience gain

Natural Sociologists
    Positive trait

1 point

Members of this species have a natural inclination towards sociology and biological studies.

Effects:

+15% Society output

Weak
    Negative trait

-1 point

Members of this species are physically weaker than average, making them poor fighters on the ground.

Effects:

-20% Army damage

Enduring
    Positive trait

1 point

Lifespans in this species are unusually long.

Effects:

+30 Leader lifespan

EDIT: An alternative ethos and government structure for the corporate empire, depending on how you want to balance the economic/tech and military bonuses, would be to swap which ethos is fanatic, and make the government a Despotic Hegemony.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Stellaris comes out on May 9.

I leave for vacation to Ireland on May 3; I'm leaving my laptop home. I get back on May 19.

Preordered anyways, despite being against preorders, because something something Paradox.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    azhaisazhais Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Trace wrote: »
    Sentient ships?

There we go I'm doing a Culture run through.

... is anyone not planning on a Culture run-through?

I'm gonna do a fanatic materialist/collectivist/science directorate and play space GLaDOS personally

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »
    Campy wrote: »
    Sentient ships?

Only folks that have had the misfortune of not reading at least one Culture novel.

Raises hand in shame

I know *of* the series but never got around to cracking open a book. Suggestions?

I've only read a few of them myself and I've also certainly read them out of order, if there is such a thing, picking them randomly. As such I'll defer to someone else for a really good starter book, but am happy to recommend the one's I've read as being very good stand alone: Surface Detail, Look to Windward and Matter were all great.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Excession is the go to book about the ships themselves in my opinion.

also I need this game.

I need it now.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Consider Phlebas and Use of Weapons are both generally considered the best starting points for delving into the Culture novels. There really isn't any kind of order to them. Some of them refer to events in other books but they are all free standing word constructs.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Sorhon Administrative Union
    XXZhsOQ.png

Ethos:
    Materialist
    Individualist
    Pacifist

Government Type:

Peaceful Bureaucracy

Traits:
    Charismatic
    Weak
    Nomadic
    Communal

Modifiers:
    -30% Army damage
    +10% Energy credits
    +5% Engineering output
    +5% Ethics divergence
    +10% Food
    +5% Happiness
    +4 Leader capacity
    -15% Leader recruitment cost
    -50% Migration time
    +1% Other species happiness per POP
    +5% Physics output
    -50% Slavery tolerance
    +5% Society output
    -10% War happiness
    -25% War tolerance

Celestial Empire of Qirrash
    thK8TPH.png

Ethos:
    Spiritualist
    Xenophobe
    Collectivist

Government Type:
    Divine Mandate

Traits:
    Industrious
    Resilient
    Sedentary

Modifiers:
    Can build a mausoleum, which grants -10% ethics divergence on the planet on which it is built
    +50% Alien slavery tolerance
    +200% Bombardment resistance
    -5% Food requirement
    +5% Happiness
    +50% Migration time
    +100% Militia health
    +15% Minerals
    +100% Slavery tolerance
    +50% War tolerance
    +10% Xenophobia

Koyoran Anarcho-Democratic Commune
    4qayu2C.png

Ethos:
    Xenophile
    Fanatic Materialist

Government Type:
    Direct Democracy

Traits:
    Adaptive
    Enduring
    Slow-Breeders

Modifiers:
    +4 Core sector planets
    +10% Engineering output
    +15% Growth time
    +10% Habitability
    +30 Leader lifespan
    +10% Physics output
    +10% Society output
    -10% Xenophobia

Valorous Championship of Kur-Girras
    X8gqgmi.png

Ethos:
    Fanatic Militarist
    Individualist

Government:
    Military Republic

Traits:
    Very Strong
    Non-Adaptive
    Solitary

Modifiers:
    +75% Alliance cost
    +60% Army damage
    -15% Army upkeep
    +10% Energy credits
    +5% Ethics divergence
    -10% Habitability
    -5% Happiness
    +10% Minerals
    +50% Rivalry influence gain
    -15% Ship upkeep
    -50% Slavery tolerance
    +10% War happiness
    +100% War tolerance

Don't know if any of these will be my first but some fun combos I thought up. Put race portraits with them that seemed right.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    @Lord_Asmodeus

So is the last one a bunch of space magpies? Interested in all other cultures for their shines things?

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    @Lord_Asmodeus

So is the last one a bunch of space magpies? Interested in all other cultures for their shines things?

I was actually thinking more of an Eclipse Phase style post-scarcity Anarchist system of reputation-as-"currency"

Based loosely on the ideas presented here

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    Consider Phlebas and Use of Weapons are both generally considered the best starting points for delving into the Culture novels. There really isn't any kind of order to them. Some of them refer to events in other books but they are all free standing word constructs.

I'm a big fan of player of games as well.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    @Trace & @Drake,

Thanks for the suggestions! Got a couple of books on hold from the local library thanks to you both. Now I just need to figure out if I want to spring for the Nova edition or just the base game. I never ever download or listen to game soundtracks, but what I've heard from preview videos so far is pretty good; likewise, I never bother with cosmetic DLC in Paradox games, but space spiders sound pretty darn cool. Apparently it's only a portrait though? Maybe I'll just get the base game after all.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Well to be fair all the races are basically just portraits. Unlike many other 4x games there are no pros/cons attached to a specific race or even phenotype.

At most, races of the same phenotype get a bit of a relations bonus with each other.

@Lord_Asmodeus

Oh man now I want a race that is a sentient flock of birds. Like, not that the birds themselves are sentient, but when in a flock they are. Kinda like a hive mind or flock mind in this case. With many sperate flocks making up their race.

Axen on
  • Options
    manyasone.jpg

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Sacred Domain of Anaya

"Cherish the gifts of the stars as you go forth and claim them."

Ethos:
    Fanatic Xenophile (-20% xenophobia)
    Spiritualist (+5% happiness)

Government Type:
    Divine Mandate (+50% slavery tolerance, +50% war tolerance, -10% ethics divergence w/ mausoleum)

Traits:
    Charismatic (+1% other species happiness)
    Communal (+5% happiness)
    Rapid Breeders (-10% growth time)
    Decadent (-10% resource output without slaves)

"Life for even those of the lowest castes within Anaya's Domain is a glimpse of paradise compared to the suffering of the poor souls who remain without."

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Axen wrote: »
    Well to be fair all the races are basically just portraits. Unlike many other 4x games there are no pros/cons attached to a specific race or even phenotype.

At most, races of the same phenotype get a bit of a relations bonus with each other.

@Lord_Asmodeus

Oh man now I want a race that is a sentient flock of birds. Like, not that the birds themselves are sentient, but when in a flock they are. Kinda like a hive mind or flock mind in this case. With many sperate flocks making up their race.

like a rat king.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_king_(folklore)

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DissentDissent Mr. Fancy Pants Flavour CountryRegistered User regular
    We could actually start colonizing space a lot sooner if it weren't for the amount theory and research man-hours lost by smart people playing Paradox games...

• Options
    As it should be.

488W936.png
  • Options
    DissentDissent Mr. Fancy Pants Flavour CountryRegistered User regular
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Yes, "accidentally"...

• Options
    azhaisazhais Registered User regular
    rockrnger wrote: »
    The Broman empire

From another forum, the bro race template.
    ### The Bropire
    ### BRO DO YOU EVEN LIFT?
    ### Stolen from MST 3K, Star Wars and history and hacked together poorly by Beer4TheBeerGod

BRO1 = {
      selectable = yes
      ship_names = {
      generic = { }
      corvette = {
          "Al Brocone" "Alfred Brosenberg" "Billy the Bro" "Carlos Marcellbro" "Charles Broson"
          "Hawley Harvey Broppen" "Jack the Ripbro" "Jeffrey Bromer" "John Brollinger" "John Brotti"
          "John Wayne Brocy" "Karl Brondy" "Lucky Lucianbro" "Mullah Brokar" "Osama Bro Laden"
          "Pabro Escobar" "Brol Pot" "Ted Brondy" "Whitey Broger" "Clyde Champion Barbrow"
      }

constructor = {
          "Michelangebro" "Donatellbro" "Uccellbro" "Masbrolino" "Brotticelli"
          "Perugibro" "Sigbrorelli" "Brophael" "Brovanni Bellini" "Brotian"
          "Pontormbro" "Brovenuto Cellini" "Paolbro Veronese" "Brozino" "El Grecbro"
      }

colonizer = {
          "Neil Brostrong" "Marco Brolo" "Brodinand Megallan" "Vascbro de Gama" "Christopher Brolumbus"
          "Hernan Brotes" "Daniel Brone" "Henry Brodson" "Ameribro Vespucci" "Francisbro Pizarro"
          "John Cabrot" "Jacques Coustbro" "Brocis Drake" "Juan Broce de Leon" "Herando de Broto"
          "Reinbrold Messner" "Leif Broricson" "Brotolomeu Dias" "Broald Amundsen" "Yuri Brogarin"
      }

science = {
          "Aristotbro" "Brochimedes" "Galilebro" "Michael Fabroday" "Thomas Brodison"
          "Louis Brosteur" "Sir Isaac Broton" "Albert Brostein" "Nikola Brosla"
          "Nicolaus Brotto" "Alan Broring"  "Leonardbro da Vinci" "Wilbro Wright" "Broville Wright"
          "Ebron Musk" "Nicolaus Bropernicus" "Brohannes Kepler" "Stephen Broking" "Charles Browin"
      }

destroyer = {
          "Brotacus" "Broric the Visigoth" "Broratius Cocles" "Prince Bropert" "Vercingebrorix"
          "William Brollace" "Brosil II" "Brottila the Hun" "Bro Fei" "Broric Bloodaxe"
          "Brominius" "Brotiades" "Vlad the Bropaler" "Bro Tzu" "Scipibro Africanus"
          "Xiabro Dun" "Hannibro Barca" "Brorrhus of Epirus" "Riachard the Lionbro" "Miyamobro Musashi"
          "Brolius Caesar" "Lebronidas of Sparta" "Bronghis Khan" "Alexandbro the Great" "Count Broland"
      }

cruiser = {
          "The Battle of Thermobrolae" "The Battle of Brogamela" "The Battle of Broma" "The Battle of Brosalus" "The Battle of Brours"
          "The Battle of Brostings" "The Battle of Brogincourt" "The Siege of Broleans" "The Siege of Broenna" "The Battle of Brojamarca"
          "The Battle of Gravebros" "The Battle of Broseby" "The Battle of Lexington and Brocord" "The Battle of Brotown" "The Battle of Brofalgar"
          "The Battle of Leipzbro" "The Battle of Broterloo" "The Battle of Brotietam" "The Battle of Gettysbro" "The Battle of Brotain"
          "The Battle of Brolingrad" "The Battle of Guadalbronal" "Battle of Midbro" "Battle of Brohai" "The Tet Broffensive"
      }

battleship = {
          "Brores, God of War" "Broshur, God of War" "Brorijas, God of War" "Brodur, God of War" "Jabrovit, God of War"
          "Brochiman, God of War" "Broluc Chabtan, God of War" "Broshamon, God of War" "Brolatu-Cadros, God of War" "Caribrocienus, God of War"
          "Jarbrovit, God of War" "Bronar, God of War" "Broshur, God of War" "Bromosh, God of War" "Brorrawi, God of War"
          "Futsu-Nushi-Bro-Kami, God of War" "Brobaba, God of War" "Orbro, God of War" "Brogoun, God of War" "Segobro, God of War"
      }

orbital_station = { }
      mining_station = { }
      research_station = { }
      wormhole_station = { }
      terraform_station = { }
      observation_station = { }
      outpost_station = {
      sequential_name = "%O% Frontier Bropost"
      }
      transport = { }
      military_station_small = {}
      military_station_medium = {}
      military_station_large = {}
      }
      fleet_names = {
          sequential_name = "%O% Fraternity"
      }

### ARMIES
      army_names = {
      defense_army = {
          sequential_name = "%O% Defense Bros"
      }
      assault_army = {
          sequential_name = "%O% Assault Bros"
      }
      slave_army = {
          sequential_name = "%O% Slave Bros"
      }
      clone_army = {
          sequential_name = "Clone Bros %R%"
      }
      robotic_army = {
          sequential_name = "Bro Bots %R%"
      }
      android_army = {
          sequential_name = "Super Bro Bots %R"
      }
      psionic_army = {
          sequential_name = "%O% Psycho Bros"
      }
      xenomorph_army = {
          sequential_name = "%O% Xenobros"
      }
      gene_warrior_army = {
          sequential_name = "%O% Super Bros"
      }
      }
      planet_names = {
      # Names that can be assigned to all planet types
      generic = {
      names = {
        "Anaia" "Brat" "Bror" "Broer" Vend"
        "Veli" "Bruder" "Testvére" "Deartháir" "Fratello"
        "Brālis" "Brolis" "Irmão" "Frate" "Hermano"
        "Brawd" "Aka" "Anh Trai" "Broer" "Wa"
        "Nwanne" "Walaalkiis" "Kaka" "Arakunrin" "Umfowabo"
        "Igsoon" "Saudara" "Cak" "Rahalahy" "Saudara"
        "Teina" "Frato" "Frè" "Fratris"
      }
      }
      pc_desert = {
      names = { }
      }
      pc_arid = {
      names = { }
      }
      pc_tropical = {
      names = { }
      }
      pc_continental = {
      names = { }
      }
      pc_ocean = {
      names = { }
      }
      pc_tundra = {
      names = { }
      }
      pc_arctic = {
      names = { }
      }
      }
      ### CHARACTERS
      character_names = {
      default = {
      # A complete name
      full_names = { }
      # Always combined with a second name
      first_names = {
        Beat Big Brave Blast Bold Bolt Brick Buck Buff Butch Chunk Crud Crunch Dirk Fist Flink Flint Fridge Gristle Hack Hunk Lump Punch Punt
        Reef Roll Rip slab Slam Slate Smash Smoke Splint Stump Thick Touch Trunk Whip Bob
      }

# Always combined with a first name
      second_names = {
        PunchBeef McLargeHuge HardCheese ThickNeck BigFlank VanderHuge HardMeat PlankChest DrinkLots HardBack DeadLift BoneMeal ButtSteak
        HardPec RockBone IronStag LargeMeat McThornBody BlowFist BeefBroth RockGroin Side-Iron SpeedChunk BlastBody FizzleBeef SteakFace
        BulkHead SquatThrust FistCrunch SlabRock LampJaw ManMuscle ChestHair BeefKnob Chunkman McRunFast RustRod SlamChest SlagCheek Johnson
      }

regnal_first_names = {
        "Master" "Head" "Lead" "Head" "The" "Top" "Bad Enough" "Elite" "Biggest"
      }

regnal_second_names = {
        "Bro"
      }
      }
      }
    }

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheflyingassTheflyingass Registered User regular
    I've been watching the Blorg video series. Sold.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »
    Sentient ships?

Only folks that have had the misfortune of not reading at least one Culture novel.

Raises hand in shame

I know *of* the series but never got around to cracking open a book. Suggestions?

I've only read a few of them myself and I've also certainly read them out of order, if there is such a thing, picking them randomly. As such I'll defer to someone else for a really good starter book, but am happy to recommend the one's I've read as being very good stand alone: Surface Detail, Look to Windward and Matter were all great.

Player of Games and Surface Detail were the ones that inflicted Banks Completionist Syndrome on my wallet. "I'll just check these out and where did all of these other books come from oh god"

Player of Games and Look to Windward are the main ones I recommend for the uninitiated. Consider Phlebas is the first one chronologically but a lot of people think that isn't the best introduction to the setting.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Look To Windward is really really good. It's also one of the saddest things I've ever read in my life. Only read it if you are willing to have your heart crushed.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Banks is good! I actually read some of his other novels before reading Consider Phlebas.

Only complaint is that by the end of that novel despite everyone being perfectly well-written I sort of did not give a hoot if they accomplished their goals.

Still, lots of very neat ideas, definitely looking forward to picking up some other stuff by him.

You know what'd be neat? A race like the things in Peter Watts' "Blindsight".
    Reactive but non-sentient super-beings, maybe as a Fallen Empire that only activate and attempt to kill you according to how often you make diplomatic contact with them or how many signals your civilization sends out that reach them or something.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    It occurs to me that I am obligated to name my first science ship the Event Horizon. Setting the tone for success and all that.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    "Xiabro Dun" might be my favorite bro-related thing ever

Battleship entries missed an opportunity for "Krabros, God of War"

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    All this Bro talk has me wanting to make a South Park "PC Frat Bro" empire.

“You know, there’s still some people out there that say "What does being PC really mean?” Well, I’ll tell you what it means. It means you love nothin’ more than beer, workin’ out, and that feelin’ you get when you rhetorically defend a marginalized community from systems of oppression.“

Fanatic Xenophile (we accept all races, creeds, genders, sexual orientations)
    Militarist (we'll check your privilege Bro, check it real hard)

Military Dictatorship (PC Frat for life Bro!)

Very Strong (gotta get your swole on Bro!)

Repugnant (they mean well, but goddamn.)
    Slow Leaners (Chug! Chug! Chug!)

• Options
    When my glorious reign begins, the Bropire will be the first on the firing line.

488W936.png
  • Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    His highness, the natty galaxy raw bench record holder, Bulk Vanderhuge.

• Options
    rockrnger wrote: »
    His highness, the natty galaxy raw bench record holder, Bulk Vanderhuge.

Space cow hormones will only get you so far in galactic politics, Mr. Vanderhuge. Your rapid military expansion and reliance on shoddy broconomics to fuel your bropire's growth hasn't made you many alien friends. I can't count on both my appendages how many times I've seen diplomats visiting your ostentatious palace recoil at the term 'swole' when referring to how great your administration is, or go blind at the size of your television screen.

And do not discount this discontent, even among your own brokind, for it will be your undoing. One day, you might have a tragic benching 'accident' where you bench too much or misplace your weights for explosives, and before you know it they'll be taking bets in the gambling halls of my empire on how many plasma bolts it will take to make your corpse holier then Vatican IV's reliquary vault.

488W936.png
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited April 2016

Explains why you might be tempted to piss off the scary dogmatic aliens.

EDIT (tiny spoiler if you want to go in 100% blind):
    Also, it sounds like not all Gaia worlds (massive planets with 100% habitability for all) are holy sites, but all holy sites are Gaia worlds.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    If it isn't holy for the Fallen Empire, I will do everything I can to claim it, both for the religiousness and the delicious space paradise conditions.

If it is holy for the Fallen Empire, I will spend most of the game preparing for the day I either blow it up, or blow them up to take it.

488W936.png
  • Options
    CuddlyCuteKittenCuddlyCuteKitten Registered User regular
    I wonder if you could game that. Say colonize the world, release it, start a war with your AI ally, win war fast (since it's a colony), sue for peace and give your ally the world.

Since it's paradox I imagine the AI is way to smart for that (they are already really good in EU 4 at not accepting things that are bad for them). But it would be hilarious.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaow - Felicia, SPFT2:T
  • Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    I wonder if they just take it back or wipe you out once they get going.

This discussion has been closed.