Options

Paradox Can Into Space With [Stellaris]

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    rockrnger wrote: »
    I wonder if they just take it back or wipe you out once they get going.

IIRC Fallen Empires usually have very narrow and specific war goals when you piss them off, so a Spiritualist Fallen Empire would probably just take the holy worlds you've settled and called it a day. I'm guessing a Materialist one would give any systems they've occupied back (or at least stop taking any more) if you promise to stop researching whatever thing it was they wanted you to stop researching, and they haven't really said much more about how other Fallen Empires behave (I think last stream mentioned Xenophobes will insist there is a buffer zone of unoccupied systems between them and any icky aliens, but that's about it)

However, they did mention that one of the possible mid-to-end game events can be a Fallen Empire waking up one day and going "Remember the good old days when we ruled half the galaxy? Let's bring them back!" and become politically and militarily active again.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Those would be random developments I can get behind

The new patch for EU4 has a random event which increases your corruption by 4% and it is just the worst thing ever, I hope in Stellaris you won't be quite as at the mercy of the RNG

Platy on
  • Options
    Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I've had a few ideas for alien races floating around in my head for a long time, so I decided to convert them into Stellaris. Because I was bored and I want this game to come out yesterday. Again, I may have put too much thought into these.

Qaxei
    Empire Name: Imperial Qaxei Territories

Homeworld Type: Desert

Species Type: Reptilian

Species Traits: Fast Learners (+), Adaptive (++), Slow Breeders (-)

Government Type: Military Republic

Base Ethos: Materialist, Militarist, Xenophile

Admirals/generals are eligible for rulership
    +50% Alliance cost
    +10% Army damage
    -15% Army upkeep
    +5% Engineering output
    +15% Growth time
    +10% Habitability
    +25% Leader experience gain
    +5% Physics output
    +25% Rivalry influence gain
    -15% Ship upkeep
    +5% Society output
    +5% War happiness
    +75% War tolerance
    -10% Xenophobia

The qaxei are basically an Industrial Age / Age of Imperialism era civilization very, VERY rapidly transformed into a spacefaring civ by ancient alien knowledge left behind on their homeworld. Using that knowledge, one empire brings the whole thing under control and establishes a militaristic republic in order to keep things stable -- the position of Emperor becomes an elected executive, all conquered territories are given representation, etc. After all, they KNOW there's stuff out there and need to be ready in case it's hostile.

The qaxei are unusually bright and adaptable, as shown by how quickly they were able to decipher and make use of alien advancements centuries ahead of their own tech base. On alien worlds, they quickly learn how to best make their new settlements comfortable despite the new environment and naturally tend to be more accepting of those not exactly like their home. Unfortunately, since they evolved on a Desert world, their natural breeding rate is rather low. If it hadn't been, they'd have been liable to outstrip the planet's water supply.

The ethos represent the fact that they're a civ built out of an industrial, imperialist society. Science as a methodology is a recent development which has exploded in cultural importance due to the alien knowledge and the military has enormous emphasis as you might expect. Because of their slow breeding rate, though, the qaxei view aliens as potential citizens of their new galactic empire instead of as "the Other" or "those weird things we need to wipe out".

Iiyen
    Empire Name: Illuminated Stellar Ascendancy

Homeworld Type: Ocean

Species Type: Molluscoid

Species Traits: Intelligent (++), Enduring (+), Nonadaptive (-)

Government Type: Science Directorate

Base Ethos: Materialist, Fanatic Militarist

+75% Alliance cost
    +20% Army damage
    +15% Engineering output
    -10% Habitability
    +30 Leader lifespan
    +15% Physics output
    +1 Research alternative
    +50% Rivalry influence gain
    +15% Society output
    +10% War happiness
    +75% War tolerance

The iiyen are an octopus-like aquatic race, and after their species was nearly wiped out an asteroid collision they've become obsessively focused on expanding off-world. Originally founded as just the Illuminated Ascendancy, the ISA rules iiyen society with only three goals in mind: expansion, expansion, and expansion. More accurately, that's expansion of knowledge, of the military, and of territory. War has been a fact of life for the iiyen since the dawn of their civilization, and the ISA is hell-bent on making certain they're ready for it -- be it from rebel or alien.

The iiyen themselves are an extremely intelligent race, on average being far smarter than the average of most other species. They needed to be, of course, because how else would a completely aquatic race develop advanced technology in the ocean? They also live longer on average, allowing individuals to put their greater intelligence to use for longer. Unfortunately, as they live entirely in water and can't survive for very long out of it, their ability to adapt to alien environments is considerably lower -- pressurized environments are vastly more expensive, among other things. In fact, even alien ocean worlds tend to feel slightly 'wrong' to them.

Neshuan
    Empire Name: Union of Neshuan Kingdoms

Homeworld Type: Continental

Species Type: Mammalian

Species Traits: Venerable (++++), Decadent (-), Sedentary (-)

Government Type: Despotic Empire

Base Ethos: Militarist, Xenophobe, Spiritualist

+50% Alien slavery tolerance
    +50% Alliance cost
    +10% Army damage
    -15% Building cost
    +5% Happiness
    +120 Leader lifespan
    +50% Migration time
    -10% Resource output without slaves
    +25% Rivalry influence gain
    +10% Slavery food output
    +10% Slavery mineral output
    +5% War happiness
    +50% War tolerance
    +10% Xenophobia

Short description: asshole space elves.

Long description: the neshuans are an extremely old, extremely slow-developing race. Their homeworld has been united under their Emperor for a very long time, and only recently have they even considered exploring the universe around them. While the Neshuan Emperor does rule over everything, there's a series of descending nobility underneath them to manage the details: Kings, who rule large provincial 'kingdoms', stand as the most prominent. Eventually you get down to the peasantry, who aren't serfs but are considered to be expendable, are not usually allowed in the ranks of the nobility, and are even more rarely educated. In fact, the ruling classes rarely refer to their technology as just that -- instead it's 'magic'. They don't actually believe that (usually), they just shroud everything technological in a veil of 'magic' as a method of control. Taking advantage of the superstitious, poorly-educated nature of the peasantry to maintain their own power.

The neshuans are an extremely long-lived species, with rulers remaining in power for centuries sometimes. This is a blessing for stability, but a curse for rapid advancement -- or it was, until they finally got off-world. The neshuan species relied heavily on serfdom to run their industries, but recent reforms have abolished the old ways. They really haven't properly recovered from it, but the existence of aliens might well change that. And, well, they're not a species of explorers by nature. They settle down, plant their metaphorical roots, and don't go anywhere for the centuries they'll likely live. Yet another reason they only recently began expanding into space.

Gennenalyse Rueben on
  • Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Todays stream: They made a Blorg out of a bowler hat.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Watching the livestream recording, apparently social technology progress can unlock new government forms including Mega Corporations. I am looking forward to learning more about them.

488W936.png
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I just gotsta have my corporatocracy!

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    From what he said it also looks like your next stage is based on what your current government is (which only makes sense, but you never know)

I'm hoping there's a way players can somehow achieve the AI Directorate or whatever it's called that I saw before, a government based on AI rule without having to lose the game or have all of your pops die.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    Welp, there goes all my plans for the United Intellifridge Federation.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    The galactic federation of brave little toasters

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    I think we should be safe with robotic overlords as long as we research The Three Laws of Robotics™ first.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I think we should be safe if we kill them all first.

Also the people who built them because it sure as hell isn't going to be me.

488W936.png
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »

Forbidden Tech: Screensavers

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »

Explains why you might be tempted to piss off the scary dogmatic aliens.

EDIT (tiny spoiler if you want to go in 100% blind):
    Also, it sounds like not all Gaia worlds (massive planets with 100% habitability for all) are holy sites, but all holy sites are Gaia worlds.

I remember how, in MoO, pretty much all of the really good planets had something really nasty orbiting them. (Up to and including the Guardian.)

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »

p21499_d_v8_aa.jpg

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Mentions in later tweets you can search by planet, star, empire, and goal type (cede/liberate/vassal/etc)

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Are there really enough options to have needed an input box? Seems like a category filter would have been more than sufficient. This isn't a hundred items or anything.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    *slow clap*

It's like every little thing they reveal is awesome.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I'd like to see maybe some section headers, though - like, the "Cede Planets" section can just be toggled on-or-off with the "Cede Planets" header.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    I'd like to see maybe some section headers, though - like, the "Cede Planets" section can just be toggled on-or-off with the "Cede Planets" header.

He mentioned that might be on the table for a future UI update, but this is the best they can do before launch.
    The Sauce wrote: »
    Are there really enough options to have needed an input box? Seems like a category filter would have been more than sufficient. This isn't a hundred items or anything.

Well, if you're at war with a Federation or Alliance with at least 40+ inhabited worlds all together (which is totally likely on larger maps- I think the Blorg have about 20 on their own, and about a dozen more between allies and their vassal) and you have Cede/Liberate options for each of them, plus vassalization options for each of the enemy empires... that's a lot of options to scroll through.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DissentDissent Mr. Fancy Pants Flavour CountryRegistered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    I just gotsta have my corporatocracy!

A space vote for Nullary Clintron is a vote for incremental cosmic domination. Buy your freedom-control chips now while supplies last, fellow life-forms!

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    God I want this so bad, but I just don't have the time for a 4x!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options

There is also apparently no bonus for have >100 tolerance for alien slavery, so if you're fanatical collectivism, being xenophobe as well won't make you better at enslaving aliens.

About that though:

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but certain techs have a higher or lower chance of showing up depending on your empire's ethos. One example Paradox has mentioned in their forums is techs related to Psionics, which are much more likely to show up if your empire is Spiritualist than not.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    It's getting to that time that I need to knuckle down and polish off some games that I'm most of the way through to make room for this. All the room.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    I don't know if it's been mentioned, but certain techs have a higher or lower chance of showing up depending on your empire's ethos. One example Paradox has mentioned in their forums is techs related to Psionics, which are much more likely to show up if your empire is Spiritualist than not.
    So basically the sample species I crafted before will be the Asari.

I am very conflicted about that.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    Latest Dev diary is up It's about modding, specifically creating your own anomalies. I'd post it, but a lot of the nitty-gritty is with pics showing examples, so it wouldn't make much sense as a copy/paste.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    heresy

• Options
    CuddlyCuteKittenCuddlyCuteKitten Registered User regular
    My Vive is scheduled for arrival in May. It is entierly possible I wont touch it because of this game. If I have to choose I would pick Stellaris.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaow - Felicia, SPFT2:T
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Gosh that anomaly system is so lovely.

It's so straightforward!

Wonder how much you can do with Choose-your-own-Adventure stuff though, like can you have success/failure spawn further anomalies? I feel like I've seen them show quest-chains, or talk about them at least.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Gosh that anomaly system is so lovely.

It's so straightforward!

Wonder how much you can do with Choose-your-own-Adventure stuff though, like can you have success/failure spawn further anomalies? I feel like I've seen them show quest-chains, or talk about them at least.

There's quest chains galore in other Paradox games, so it's pretty safe to say they'll be in here and moddable.

With all that's been shown, it's clear there's going to a be a whole bunch of stuff to download and play with miles before there's any official DLC or expansion packs.

On that vein I've read an interview saying that the first full expansion is pretty much ready to go. But the chap (a dev) they were interviewing wasn't able to release any info on it yet.

• Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular

Sounds like a good time to test out your planetary bombardment technology.

• Options
    ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    Can anyone go into more detail on how weapon techs will work in this game?

I know that you choose a starting weapon type at character creation, but I was really hoping you dont have to focus on that exclusively. Is the semi-random tech tree designed to encourage you to dip into multiple weapon techs or are you supposed to focus on a type?

I kinda hated the rock/paper/scissors approach in Galactic Civ 2-3 in that military techs were so time consuming to research that it was virtually impossible to do anything except focus on one weapon type until very late game.

PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    Can anyone go into more detail on how weapon techs will work in this game?

I know that you choose a starting weapon type at character creation, but I was really hoping you dont have to focus on that exclusively. Is the semi-random tech tree designed to encourage you to dip into multiple weapon techs or are you supposed to focus on a type?

I kinda hated the rock/paper/scissors approach in Galactic Civ 2-3 in that military techs were so time consuming to research that it was virtually impossible to do anything except focus on one weapon type until very late game.

In the Blorg stream they started with lasers but got missiles and plasma weapons pretty quickly so it seems like you can diversify your weapons fairly easily. You can also have your scientists research the wreckage after battles which will give you research progress towards any tech used by the enemy ships that you don't have yet so you should be able to get some weapons that way as well.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    What are the differences between the weapon types? I assume effective range is part of it. I'd guess lasers are best at short, plasma would be middle, and missiles would be long range.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    What are the differences between the weapon types? I assume effective range is part of it. I'd guess lasers are best at short, plasma would be middle, and missiles would be long range.

I believe there's also stuff like "lasers are better at taking down shields, missiles are better at punching through armour". Though I don't know the actual specifics.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular

I believe there's also stuff like "lasers are better at taking down shields, missiles are better at punching through armour". Though I don't know the actual specifics.

Rather confusingly, missiles are in fact the shield damaging weapons and lasers are used for attacking armour. Pretty sure this is the opposite to all sci-fi games forever.

As far as I know, we haven't had any word on any other differences.

12 days!

• Options
    ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    I believe Mass Drivers are the shield eating weapons, lasers eat armor, missiles have the greatest range but can be shot down.

We havent seen any carriers/fighters in the Blorg streams at all.

PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
This discussion has been closed.