Options

Paradox Can Into Space With [Stellaris]

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    So I bought this because paradox and space 4x? Yes, please

Then I saw the space spiders upgrade. Yes, please

Can I throw a rock into Buenos Aires?

Also how long would you expect a group game to run? I could try to toss my hat in, but I don't know if I could always make a weekly thing.

• Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular

Day 2 of Multiplayer stream. the player non-aggression treaty is no longer in effect so they'll be war everywhere pretty much right away

• Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    I'd love to jump on a multiplayer game, but I'm GMT.

I, too, am GMT. I do tend to play quite late though (11pm - 1-2am) if it's a weekend, so i can go either way.

I could certainly try to host. I regularly host a 4 player game of EUIV where two of our players live in the USA, the other two of us UK. We do have occasional game-speed slowdowns every 10-15 mins or so, but I'm generally able to put the speed back up to normal straight away without issue. Never quite worked out whether that was my connection, another players, or just the de-sync issue paradox multiplayer often suffers.

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    They've revamped their network code a fair bit by the sound of things, certainly in terms of hot joining games. So hopefully other desync issues will also be less frequent.

I'm certainly happy to play a bit later on a weekend night. Though the 4am gaming sessions certainly take a toll these days that they didn't used to :D. The only thing I'd be worried about then is potentially not being around when other folks want to play.

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    I'd also be cautiously interested in a weekend game, particularly for a saturday.

• Options
    I'd definitely like to try at least the one single player game out first. Hopefully iron out any newbie traps in my gameplay before jumping in with any other folks.

• Options
    I'd definitely like to try at least the one single player game out first. Hopefully iron out any newbie traps in my gameplay before jumping in with any other folks.

Well, since the game launches on a Monday and we presumably don't intend to start before the weekend we'd at least have some opportunity to practice.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Federation fleets can arm themselves with the combined technology of the Federation's members?

Oh my gooooooood

• Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    I've never played multiplayer (fresh meat), but would be willing to play on Saturday Nights EST. Generally, I could do any time Saturday, but this particular Saturday I'm taking my wife to the ballet.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    This stream is brilliant.
    They fought a big galactic war and in the aftermath Wiz convinced everyone to join one big Federation so they could try to take out a Fallen Xenophobic Empire.
    They were aiming to spend about 5 years building up fleets before just swarming the FE with numerous inferior fleets.
    But the Fallen Empire either saw it coming and struck first.

Edit: They are now trying to assemble every ship in the galaxy in the FE's home system. its guarded by a 38k strong fleet orbiting a ring world.

and Ring worlds are made out of 4 25 square districts each of which is dedicated to producing an obscene amount of resources

GaryO on
  • Options
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the Beacon of Infinity. I watched blue lasers glitter in the dark near the Blorg III Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Oh my gosh ringworlds look awesome

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    A singular Fallen Empire vs the rest of the (newbie) galaxy:
    Fallen Empire Wins. Crushing Defeat

Fallen Empire: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Takel on
    Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    Takel wrote: »
    In a truly soul-crushing fashion too. The fleets charge into an already doomed battle, only to realize that reinforcements were already on their way... for the enemy. Then at the end when the battle is already lost even more arrive, a final nail in an already vacuum-sealed coffin.

I think we can all agree that this was all Quill and the Turkeys' fault.

• Options
    GaryO wrote: »
    This stream is brilliant.
    They fought a big galactic war and in the aftermath Wiz convinced everyone to join one big Federation so they could try to take out a Fallen Xenophobic Empire.
    They were aiming to spend about 5 years building up fleets before just swarming the FE with numerous inferior fleets.
    But the Fallen Empire either saw it coming and struck first.

Edit: They are now trying to assemble every ship in the galaxy in the FE's home system. its guarded by a 38k strong fleet orbiting a ring world.

and Ring worlds are made out of 4 25 square districts each of which is dedicated to producing an obscene amount of resources

I suspect that the sensor range from the fallen empire is huge. So they could easily have spotted the war fleets a few systems out.

Like ants in the garden.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    I think I have finally managed to settle on a theme for my first playthrough. I'll be the Holy Romulan Empire, dedicated to aquiring as many elector counts and princes as possible in a welcoming, galaxy-encompassing federation. Of course, like with the real HRE, we won't actually be holy, Romulan, or an empire.

The race will be Spiritualist Fanatic Xenophiles, probably in a Plutocratic Oligarchy, and focused on vassalising, allying, uplifting and enlightening as many races as possible.

Vic on
  • Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Vic wrote: »
    Takel wrote: »
    In a truly soul-crushing fashion too. The fleets charge into an already doomed battle, only to realize that reinforcements were already on their way... for the enemy. Then at the end when the battle is already lost even more arrive, a final nail in an already vacuum-sealed coffin.

I think we can all agree that this was all Quill and the Turkeys' fault.
    In other words, we can all agree that this game will be the BEST SPACE OPERA GENERATOR EVER!!!!!!

And I totally saw that they were going to get horribly crushed in a hammer and anvil smash. A 25k standing defense fleet with another 13k detachment. Plus the known 20k raiding deathball and you'd expect another 13-15k roaming fleet on each of the other ringworlds. The Frienderation never stood a chance. I mean hell, as soon as they warped in there was like more than 40k in forces in that system between the fleets and the defense stations. Up against a low tech combined fleet of ~39-40k? Yeaaaaaahhhhh....

Takel on
    Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    It also looks like ship AI is really bad at focusing fire. As soon as the reinforcement fleets arrived you could see the federation fleets splitting their fire to shoot at the new ships. It might have been possible to mitigate this by manually targeting a particular fleet, but it's still useful to know.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Well, everyone who potentially wants in on the multiplayer should post when they're available hour wise and what their timezone is. Then we can see about trying to coordinate something.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Oh man, this looks good. Space 4x that looks remarkably similar to Master of Orion, by the Crusader Kings people? Sign me up.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Well, everyone who potentially wants in on the multiplayer should post when they're available hour wise and what their timezone is. Then we can see about trying to coordinate something.

I'm definitely going to be available for a while that week, turns out I have vacation I need to use or lose! EST, usually available either afternoon or like 9-midnight.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular

No problem! We were vaguely discussing this up page but to be more specific:

Player: The Brayster
    Region: UK (British Summer Time)
    Available: Most Saturdays, roughly 11pm-2am BST (6-9PM EDT)

I am also off work Mon 9th - Fri 13th of May, so i'm a bit more flexible then.

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    We should probably get a Google doc set up for this sort of thing.

• Options
    I think a Discord server might be good. It has a voice option and you can set up different chat channels. Especially if you guys are planning multiplayer, Discord is a pretty good option for things like this.

• Options
    Wish they extended the stream until that last fight was over.
    The Zum Union fleet just refusing to die and pretty much successfully taking on a larger allied fleet made a great finish.

• Options
    The Zum Union fleet just refusing to die and pretty much successfully taking on a larger allied fleet made a great finish.

It would have been cool, but considering there were about 20 players involved I'm impressed they kept it together as long as they did. Particularly the tech aspect of it, keeping 20+ player synced up over about 12 hours of gameplay with barely any crashes is incredible.

• Options
    Vic wrote: »

It would have been cool, but considering there were about 20 players involved I'm impressed they kept it together as long as they did. Particularly the tech aspect of it, keeping 20+ player synced up over about 12 hours of gameplay with barely any crashes is incredible.

And the crashes they did have were able to just reload and connect into their empire again in a jiffy!

• Options
    EnclaveofGnomesEnclaveofGnomes Registered User regular
    The first quarter games drought is killing me...total war and this are just on the horizon taunting me with streams of gameplay from games we're likely to get as they are now.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    one thing that kinda irks me is that Paradox aint doing pre-loading of the game.
    it was mentioned in the first episode of the multiplayer stream. so probably don't expect to play at midnight or whenever...

the two guys were like, "its only a few gigs..."
    yes, but you got over 100k people downloading it as soon as you press the ''live'' button.
    Im thinking your servers are gonna melt, bro.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Hahahaha

Earth being a tomb world inhabited by pre-sentient giant cockroaches is amazing

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I wonder if there'll be a way to start as humans on Earth. It wouldn't be my first game, but I could see myself doing it for my second or third.

• Options
    kaortikaorti Registered User regular
    They mentioned that it was possible on one of the streams.

• Options
    HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    I wonder if there'll be a way to start as humans on Earth. It wouldn't be my first game, but I could see myself doing it for my second or third.

I believe it was mentioned that this is one of the default starts already loaded into the game.

• Options
    Ark EvensongArk Evensong The NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    one thing that kinda irks me is that Paradox aint doing pre-loading of the game.
    it was mentioned in the first episode of the multiplayer stream. so probably don't expect to play at midnight or whenever...

the two guys were like, "its only a few gigs..."
    yes, but you got over 100k people downloading it as soon as you press the ''live'' button.
    Im thinking your servers are gonna melt, bro.

Eh, it's Steam. Pretty sure they can handle it. Also, expected release time is around early evening CEST. That's morning-ish for the Americas, and I think Australia won't get it until the 10th.

• Options
    It is kinda mean to folks that don't have a modern internet connection though.

Are they worried about people cracking the game or something?

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Yeah, so much of the game is just plain .txt files that preloading would basically just be loading

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    CuddlyCuteKittenCuddlyCuteKitten Registered User regular
    It is kinda mean to folks that don't have a modern internet connection though.

Are they worried about people cracking the game or something?

Paradox games are really small though. EU 4 is less than 2 gb even with all DLC and savegames.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaow - Felicia, SPFT2:T
  • Options
    Is the game out yet

Time to watch all of Quill18's videos on it, I guess

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Is the game out yet

Time to watch all of Quill18's videos on it, I guess

I stopped watching stuff cause all it was doing was annoying me that it wasn't out yet.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
This discussion has been closed.