As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We don't have a DINOSAUR thread? Inconceivable!

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    snip
    ah, finally found this again:
    enhanced-32161-1422484173-11.png

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    EXECUTIVE BONER

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    From Wikipedia:
    Carnotaurus /ˌkɑrnɵˈtɔrəs/ is a genus of large theropod dinosaur that lived in South America during the Late Cretaceous period, between about 72 and 69.9 million years ago. The only species is Carnotaurus sastrei. Known from a single well-preserved skeleton, it is one of the best-understood theropods from the Southern Hemisphere. The skeleton, found in 1984, was uncovered in the Chubut Province of Argentina from rocks of the La Colonia Formation. Derived from the Latin carno [carnis] ("flesh") and taurus ("bull"), the name Carnotaurus means "meat-eating bull", alluding to its bull-like horns. Carnotaurus is a derived member of the Abelisauridae, a group of large theropods that occupied the large predatorial niche in the southern Landmasses of Gondwana during the late Cretaceous. The phylogenetic relations of Carnotaurus are uncertain; it may have been closer to either Majungasaurus or Aucasaurus.

Carnotaurus was a lightly built, bipedal predator, measuring 8 to 9 m (26 to 30 ft) in length and weighing at least 1.35 metric tons (1.33 long tons; 1.49 short tons). As a theropod, Carnotaurus was highly specialized and distinctive. It had thick horns above the eyes, a feature unseen in all other carnivorous dinosaurs, and a very deep skull sitting on a muscular neck. Carnotaurus was further characterized by small, vestigial forelimbs and long and slender hindlimbs. The skeleton is preserved with extensive skin impressions, showing a mosaic of small, non-overlapping scales measuring approximately 5 mm in diameter. The mosaic was interrupted by large bumps that lined the sides of the animal, and there are no hints of feathers.

The distinctive horns and the muscular neck may have been used in fighting conspecifics. According to separate studies, rivaling individuals may have combated each other with quick head blows, by slow pushes with the upper sides of their skulls, or by ramming each other head-on, using their horns as shock absorbers. The feeding habits of Carnotaurus remain unclear: some studies suggest the animal was able to hunt down very large prey such as sauropods, while other studies find it preyed mainly on relatively small animals. Carnotaurus was well adapted for running and was possibly one of the fastest large theropods.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    And all that is just an excuse to post pics of one of the neatest, weirdest looking predators ever. It looked like a short-nosed tyrannosaur with horns.

Carnotaurus01_zps6ufu2edx.png
    200016-carnotaurus-004_zpsydokppmu.jpg
    Carnotaurus_DB_zps1lvygx1f.jpg
    carnotaurus_zpscfsbvz0d.gif
    ac9a36af9f95a936dc2503488c70b928-d47xswe_zps355afwsz.jpg

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Its hands are even more useless than a rex's

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    T-rex could probably lift a few hundred pounds with those "useless" arms. You meanie!

Also I just went and saw Jurassic World and I love it and my secret husband Chris Pratt was very good and also DINASAWRS.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    T-rex could probably lift a few hundred pounds with those "useless" arms. You meanie!

Also I just went and saw Jurassic World and I love it and my secret husband Chris Pratt was very good and also DINASAWRS.

Hey whoa he can't also be your secret husband.

Unless he wants to share, which I'm okay with.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Its hands are even more useless than a rex's
    B)

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I only have one contribution to the thread. You can all thank me and/or hunt me down for my organs at your convenience.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy7fO2i9y94

Oh man I thought I hallucinated this show.

I saw like 3 episodes when I was a kid and convinced myself I was misremembering because I could never find it/remember the name.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    broken image link
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I feel like something is missing with those little arms
    Like they're really buried bu feathers, like an email or cassowarry or whatnot
    No other Dino would even know

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    The dreaded email!

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    The dreaded email!

I once seen an email chain letter fifty pages long, with spelling errors severe enough to roll your eyes out of your skull!

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    The dreaded email!

I once seen an email chain letter fifty pages long, with spelling errors severe enough to roll your eyes out of your skull!

Man fuck now I'm not going to sleep tonight.

Thanks Obama.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    VItpCga.jpg

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    "And that's the day I learned to swear."

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Jurassic Park geneticists always had an eye towards marketing new pets as a potential revenue stream, but they doubted that the powers that be would ever authorize Fluffosaurus Rex, no matter how many colors they could make it in.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Know fear Mammal for I can fly behold!

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    What in the actual fuck
    I don't remember that bit of hotline miami

• Options
    Giant birds are, without exception, terrifying death machines with no fear who will beat the fear-piss out of hardened professional soldiers and unflinchingly charge machine gun placements.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Giant birds are, without exception, terrifying death machines with no fear who will beat the fear-piss out of hardened professional soldiers and unflinchingly charge machine gun placements.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emu_War

broken image link
  • Options
    Indeed.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Birds are assholes.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    they want their planet back

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited September 2015

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emu_War
    Wikipedia wrote:
    The attempts to curb the population of emus, a large flightless bird indigenous to Australia, employed soldiers armed with Lewis guns—leading the media to adopt the name "Emu War" when referring to the incident.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    The attempts were not successful.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    4L1FZ5e.jpg

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Sorry bro, dinosaurs have feathers now not fur.

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    Is that an ammonite? I had no idea they could be that big

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    That thing looks like a boss out of Banjo-Kazooie

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Xehalus wrote: »
    4L1FZ5e.jpg
    Good dog. Unfortunately, fossils are not bones. A for effort though

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    http://edition.cnn.com/2015/09/18/us/new-ceratopsian-dinosaur/

(autoplay video)

New dinosaur "looks like 'a fat pony." Probably related to the triceratops as it looks similar, but it doesn't have a nose horn.

• Options
    Digging up the dead dino thread?

I like it.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    He looks like an asshole

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    When I was a kid, I read about dinosaurs a lot. One of the specimens that really captured my imagination was Deinocheirus merificus.
    Deinocheirus_hands.jpg

The full genus and species name translates as "horrible hand, what the fuck." We discovered a gigantic pair of arms in 1965, and that was it. No other part of the skeleton was found for over fifty years. The arms were eight feet long and tipped with 10-inch nightmare Freddy Krueger claws. Fully three times the size of T. Rex's famously stubby arms. My Time-Life book taught me that we couldn't be sure that Deinocheirus was a carnosaur three times the size of T. Rex, but that it would be super badass if it was.

Fast-forward to 2014, when we finally got our hands on a mostly-intact Deinocheirus skeleton. What kind of monster were we about to discover? Who is the new star of the next Jurassic Park movie?
    Deinocheirus.jpg

That's...great. You did a good job, Science. Just...just keep it up. Thanks.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    People say dinosaurs look silly with feathers, but this is a clear example where feathers are needed to restore some dignity. Look at that goofy head. Wouldn't it look better with feathers, adding some apparent bulk, rounding it out, maybe throwing on a crest or other fancy ornaments?

12492.jpg

northern_cardinal_glamour.jpg

See? Much better with feathers.

• Options
    In case you like cool action figures of dinos, someone is making some great ones. I wish I had more disposable income to waste on these.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/creativebeast/beasts-of-the-mesozoic-raptor-series-action-figure

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    http://nerdist.com/dinosaurs-didnt-roar-they-cooed-or-quacked-like-ducks-says-new-study/?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

Scientists doing research theorize dinos sounded more like birds than roaring bull elephants and lions.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    SixshotStrikerSixshotStriker Registered User regular
    And now I have images of T-Rex and raptors running around quacking and I can't find it not hilarious.